PDA

View Full Version : Price of an item

Dragoon
2007-08-04, 09:23 PM
I'm wondering how much an object that allows the user to create a prestidigitation effect 3/day who normally can't use arcane magic.

From what I can tell, (using DMG, which I know doesn't always work well) it would be 500 GP for being a bonus spell, +1000GP for use-activated, and finally divide by 5/3 which gives me 900 GP, does that sound right to others?

Thanks for the help.

Mad Wizard
2007-08-04, 09:29 PM
It would be 360 GP, assuming it took up an item slot. 1800 for a command word activated item at CL 1, /2 for 0 level spell, /(5/3) for 3 charges per day.

Stam
2007-08-04, 09:33 PM
It sort of depends what you're trying to do...the table in the DMG/SRD doesn't give any actual hard-and-fast rules, just guidelines.

For example, a PC of mine made a custom cloak that cleaned and dried the wearer on command, as many times as desired. The market price for this was 900 GP per the table (0.5 for a cantrip, CL 1st, x 1,800 for command word), but since it wasn't replicating the entire spell but rather only a portion of it, that price was cut in half for a result of 450 GP.

bugsysservant
2007-08-04, 09:42 PM
Is your character making it? Or are you a DM giving it out? If you're making it, you can reduce the price to 324 by my calculations. 1,800 for a command word activation times CL of 1, with a spell level of 1/2 gives you 900.
900/(5/3)=540. Since you are making it, allow it to only be used by someone of your class, and require a free action application of a skill check you can't fail to get it to work, and this reduces the price by 40%. This leaves a final cost of 324, but it will pretty much only work for you, or a very similar character.

Edit: Re-read the rules, and you don't even need to make the check, just that "some items require a specific skill". So assign a requirement of x ranks of a skill you have, and you're done.

Citizen Joe
2007-08-04, 10:08 PM
OOH... if we're doing this then I have one...

Horseshoe that summons as a Mount spell CL 1 1/day

Doesn't take up a slot
Possibly command word, I'd like to simply strike/ring it to summon the mount.

What would be the price of that?

bugsysservant
2007-08-04, 11:32 PM
OOH... if we're doing this then I have one...

Horseshoe that summons as a Mount spell CL 1 1/day

Doesn't take up a slot
Possibly command word, I'd like to simply strike/ring it to summon the mount.

What would be the price of that?

I get 720. ((1800*1 (spell level)*1 (caster level))/(5/1 (charges per day)))*2 (no space limitation)

Personally, I would set it to be a ring so that it would only be 360. And if you set said ring to be restricted to a class you have, and a set number of ranks you have, its only 216. This is reasonably affordable, considering a light horse with gear costs, what, 100 gp. Admitedly, this one you can only use two hours a day, but still...

Emperor Tippy
2007-08-04, 11:45 PM
I get 720. ((1800*1 (spell level)*1 (caster level))/(5/1 (charges per day)))*2 (no space limitation)

Personally, I would set it to be a ring so that it would only be 360. And if you set said ring to be restricted to a class you have, and a set number of ranks you have, its only 216. This is reasonably affordable, considering a light horse with gear costs, what, 100 gp. Admitedly, this one you can only use two hours a day, but still...

You can also sell it. :smallwink:

Citizen Joe
2007-08-05, 06:42 AM
Actually the intent is to get four of the horseshoes as a set. So you can summon a mount, ride at a hustle (x2 speed) for an hour, then normal speed for an hour. After that use a different horseshoe to summon a new horse and repeat. Using all four would get you through the eight hours of travel with fresh horses and no need to feed or stable the horses.

As far as selling the horse, that is REALLY easy for the DM to prevent, if he so chooses. Mount is a dismissable spell. It is summoned as a mount and has a saddle. If you remove the saddle, it is no longer a mount and thus dismissed *POOF* So nobody would buy a horse without thoroughly inspecting it. The other rediculous part of that assumption is that you'll be using multiple spells in order to hide your identity and mask the fact that it is a summoned creature. Considering how much you could charge to cast spells legitimately vs. the price of a horse (75 gp) and how much you could actually get (38 gp) I don't really see the point.