PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for interesting non-combat common magic rings?

tahu88810
2017-06-19, 03:05 PM
Hey all!

So I'm going to be DMing my first 5th edition campaign starting tomorrow. I already have the adventure written up and ready to go, I've nerfed swarms so that they're actually appropriate for their cr, all that fun stuff.
The adventure is going to involve investigating a haunted house where children have gone missing, encountering a swarm of "phase crawlers" -- basically tiny phase spiders that attack by swarming their target and dragging them to the ethereal, and then finding out on the way back to the material plane that a servant of a death goddess (with a heavy raven motif) is going to be resurrected that night -- so they must rush to stop it. It's quick and simple, and ought to be a little enjoyable.

I'm planning to have the reward offered by the small village for finding the missing children (or what remains of them...) to be pretty insubstantial; They're subsistence farmers, so there isn't a lot of gold to give out to adventurers. Having said that, I'd like to throw in an interesting ring on the warlock they'll be fighting in the climax of adventure. Something that fits with the ethereal/undead/raven motifs floating throughout the adventure.

Here's some ideas I've got already, but I'd be interested in hearing some more -- even if they don't quite fit with the themes here!

1. When the (attuned) wearer is blinded, blindfolded or similar, they instead can see the border ethereal and its denizens.

2. An attuned wearer is able to concentrate on any raven that they can see. If the wearer succeeds in a charisma check, then they can see through the eyes of the raven so long as they maintain concentration and the raven remains within 300ft. Should the wearer of this ring take any action, the concentration is broken.

3. An attuned wearer is able to speak to ravens, who are about as intelligent as you'd expect. They see, and know, quite a bit, but they usually need to be plied with shiny baubles or food before they'll give up any information. The wearer is not able to command ravens, and the ravens won't put themselves at risk for the wearer's sake -- it's simply an ability to communicate.

Sariel Vailo
2017-06-19, 03:12 PM
Ring of poison rsistance.yeahp just good qnd useful

ZorroGames
2017-06-19, 03:29 PM
Ring of poison rsistance.yeahp just good qnd useful
Ring of Cold Resistance or any other exploration related need. Heat, thirst, wind, sunburn, dark vision/infravision, enhanced hearing.

Lord Il Palazzo
2017-06-19, 03:33 PM
A ring that allows its wearer to cast Mage Hand (maybe 1/day or 1/short rest if you want) but the hand is creepy or skeletal.

A ring that allows its wearer to concentrate for 30 seconds on any dead body for within 5 feet to learn the time and cause of death. (Maybe require them to be touching the corpse if you want to make it creepier.)

A ring that gives its wearer advantage/proficiency/expertise (whatever the DM likes) on Animal Handling checks to interact with ravens.

A ring that doubles its wearer's carrying capacity but the additional capacity can only be used to carry corpses or ravens. (Bad magic items that increase carrying capacity are kind of a running gag with my group.)

Ring of Cold Resistance or any other exploration related need. Heat, thirst, wind, sunburn, dark vision/infravision, enhanced hearing.Advantage/proficiency/expertise (whatever the DM likes) on perception checks to notice undead.

tieren
2017-06-19, 03:36 PM
Magic ring that increases the total number of magic items you can have attuned by 1.

requires attunement

Lombra
2017-06-19, 03:37 PM
Ring of flipping:
Whenever you flip someone off and this ring is on the flipping finger, the target of your flippance must make a charisma saving throw (CR=13). On a failed save, the creature is charmed by you and can't willingly move towards you within 30 feet of you and can't attack or force a save from you for 1 minute. Creatures that can't see automatically succeed at the save.

Sorry for the nonsense.

Nifft
2017-06-19, 03:49 PM
Ring of Umbral Aura. Projects a curved disc of shadow-stuff that functions as a Ring of Shielding, but oriented overhead only. This blocks direct sunlight and precipitation.

Ring of Three Fishes. Upon command, up to thrice per day, this ring causes you to feel as though a fish has bitten your finger (1d4: 1 = haddock, 2 = cod, 3 = salmon, 4 = kraken). After being bitten, you must remove your finger from the ring. When you do so, the fish that bit your finger is pulled through the ring as if by a strange contortion of space.

Ring of Truth. When a lie is told within 30 ft. of this ring, it will loudly ring like a chime.

Ring of Provocation. This thick brass band will magically reisize itself to fall off unless it is placed on one's middle finger. When the bearer speaks an insult while flipping off a creature, this ring evokes a bright and booming illusion which also translates the insult into the language of every listener within 300 ft., all of whom hear and understand the insult with perfect clarity. Only insults can be communicated in this fashion.

Beelzebubba
2017-06-19, 04:01 PM
Ring of Cold Resistance or any other exploration related need. Heat, thirst, wind, sunburn, dark vision/infravision, enhanced hearing.

^^^

Excellent ideas, but off theme.

Here's an idea:

Ring of Corvid - Casts Animal Messenger, but by creating a spectral Raven (like the familiar, not a real Raven, just a spirit that looks like one). Since Ravens are so smart, it can communicate up to 50 words and can be given a quite detailed description of the target person. Since it's spectral, it can fly through solid walls to find it's recipient. The Raven can also do a return trip, by having that person tell it a 50-word message to return to you.

Since it's more powerful than Animal Messenger, I'd balance it for low level characters by making it usable 1/week, or maybe regenerate in 1d4+4 days.

Sariel Vailo
2017-06-19, 04:08 PM
Ring of thats raven can cast scry twice before you must rest.ring of fire raven firebolt that homes in on a target shaped like a raven. Ring of total raven. You can polymorph into a raven. Ring of craven raven can eat anything like a actual raven.ravens talon necklace your feet become ravens talons aid on climbing.raven of magical ravens.petty illusion of ravens cloak of emotionless ravens its ravens cloak feom teen titans advantage on..pokerface and deception.and i swear to god if i have to make another bird pun here i will.i was gonna make a ring of wes craven raven

Nifft
2017-06-19, 08:16 PM
Ring of craven raven can eat anything like a actual raven.

Name suggestion: Ring of the Raven~us.

Sariel Vailo
2017-06-19, 08:53 PM
Name suggestion: Ring of the Raven~us.

I just made a bunch to be thematic.

MarkVIIIMarc
2017-06-19, 09:31 PM
Ring of temp knowledge. This ring allows the Wizard to cast and extra spell of his spell highest level a day. BUT when he uses that spell the Wizard's intelligence is lowered to 5 until he takes a long rest.

MaxWilson
2017-06-19, 09:43 PM
Here's some ideas I've got already, but I'd be interested in hearing some more -- even if they don't quite fit with the themes here

I kind of like the rings here: https://vulcanstev.wordpress.com/2009/06/17/order-of-the-d30-the-infinity-rings/

I'm particularly fond of the Ring of Infinite Sidekicks (the only one I've used in play, in a modified form), the Ring of Infinite Death, the Ring of Infinite Pets (at the beginning of every session, announce "BTW Frank you realize there's a [boa constrictor/mouse/elk/alligator/whatever] cuddling with your feet"--some players will definitely make a game out of seeing how many of their pets they can keep alive and have simultaneously), and the Ring of Infinite Impact (lots of good adventure hooks--sometimes a treasure map falls on their head, sometimes a Death Knight--either way it will have an impact on the story).

Sigreid
2017-06-19, 10:41 PM
A ring that allows you to compel someone (15DC will save) to say the thing most on their mind right now once per day.

A non combat item for starting fights. :smallbiggrin:

Tetrasodium
2017-06-20, 04:19 AM
The lady's handmaiden: Wearer is able to don illusory makeup & prestidigitate her hair into a style suitable for a traditional outing with a command

Soldier's friend: Wearer is able to prestidigitate a desirable taste of their choice into their standard bland gruel ration. Effect is actually appied to the wearer's tongue & ends if the ring is removed. This has no effect on more flavorful foods.

Basement Cat
2017-06-20, 04:59 AM
Craft a Ring of Power with non-combat cantrips. Light, Prestidigitation, Mage Hand, Mending, and Message. All of them can be used at will, of course.

Given that Ring of Telekinesis (5th level spell) is so OP such a ring shouldn't be classified as too powerful. Of course a mere Ring of Invisibility (3rd level spell) is considered Legendary so it's really in the eye of the Beholder.

Vaz
2017-06-20, 05:19 AM
Ring of Proficiency; While attuned to this ring, and wearing it, you gain proficiency in a single set of Tools, Artisans Tool, a Gaming Set, Musical Instrument, Vehicle, or Kit. Your DM should decide which proficiency is granted, typically from page 154 of the Players Handbook, although other Tools may exist. You may not benefit from wearing more than one such Ring at a time.

Ring of Greater Proficiency; This ring acts like a Ring of Proficiency, except you may change which one proficiency you gain from the options listed after taking a Short Rest. If you already have proficiency in that tool from another source, then you may double your Proficiency bonus.

Ring of Prestidigitation; Once per short rest, you may cast Prestidigitation. It is rumoured that there are similar Rings of Druidcraft, Thaumaturgy, Control Flames, Gust, Mold Earth and Shape Water.

Ring of the Ritual; Once per short rest, this allows you to cast any one spell you know with the (Ritual) tag to be cast as a ritual.

Ring of Acid Vial; When activated, the ring jets out a small vial of acid which magically replenishes itself at anything within 5 ft the user. This can be used either as an attack action, which is a dexterity based attack, and is considered a martial weapon, dealing 1d3 Acid damage to any creature hit by it. Alternatively, as a Bonus Action, if the character aims it at the keyhole on a door, any subsequent ability checks made to pick the lock or break the lock on a door have advantage, but the lock is rendered unusable, and clearly shows signs of being tampered with. The Ring has 3 charges. Each use of the ring expends one charge. The ring regains 1d3 expended charges at dusk.

Ring of Spiderclimb; These function as Slippers of Spiderclimbing, but you may only move up to half speed (or your climbing speed if you have one), and they require the use of your hands.

Ring of Telepathic Bond; These rings are made in pairs. While attuned, a wearer of the ring can activate it as an action, which will give the other wearer of a the other paired ring an awareness that they are trying to be contacted - the ring may grow warm, cold, slightly vibrate, or just make a mental alarm. An attuned wearer may choose before they sleep if they wish to be awakened by this contact or not, but once the decision is made, it cannot be changed until the next time the wearer sleeps. If they wish to answer, the wearer may also activate their ring. As soon as both rings are activated, both of the wearers are

Cursed Ring of Telepathic Bond; The Ring is cursed, and has the following effect until you are targeted by the remove curse spell or similar magic. The Cursed Ring functions like a Ring of Telepathic Bond, except that you must make a DC19 Wisdom Save to resist the compulsion to answer the communication, and that it will always wake you while sleeping. In addition, you are considered to be within touch range of the bearer for the purposes of any Divination Spells or effects the other ring wearer has. If the other ring ever becomes unattuned, then the Curse is considered broken until the next time it becomes attuned again.

Decstarr
2017-06-20, 05:51 AM
Not very useful, but flavorful and fun:

Ring of Encouragement
This magical ring whispers words of encouragement that only the wearer can hear. "Not your fault", "worth a try", "great idea", "well done" and things like that. Gives the DM a chance to interact with a certain player, and my bard tremendously enjoys the ring's whispering whenever he kills someone with vicious mockery (the ring keeps track of that and hes up to 12 now!). Might be fitting, if the Warlock has some self-esteem problems :-)

ZorroGames
2017-06-20, 12:25 PM
Ring of Detect...

Ravens

Or anything else the DM's heart desires.

Lombra
2017-06-21, 02:08 AM
Ring of weather prediction:

That's it, make it daily.

Contrast
2017-06-21, 02:52 AM
2. An attuned wearer is able to concentrate on any raven that they can see. If the wearer succeeds in a charisma check, then they can see through the eyes of the raven so long as they maintain concentration and the raven remains within 300ft. Should the wearer of this ring take any action, the concentration is broken.

3. An attuned wearer is able to speak to ravens, who are about as intelligent as you'd expect. They see, and know, quite a bit, but they usually need to be plied with shiny baubles or food before they'll give up any information. The wearer is not able to command ravens, and the ravens won't put themselves at risk for the wearer's sake -- it's simply an ability to communicate.

I'd point out that both these abilities seem very weak if the warlock doesn't have the ability to summon ravens somehow (I literally can't remember the last time I saw a raven) and the first is even more weak if he can't control ravens (which I assume he cannot based on the other). Remember, not all magic items need to require attunement.

Vaz
2017-06-21, 05:10 AM
Kill things, leave them out over night, Raven's come. I suppose you could just not limit it to ravens, but to general corvids too.

Kaerou
2017-06-21, 06:02 AM
Ring of Light.
Can emit light as per the spell at will.
At will the wearer can press the ring's gemstone to a surface and write with it, leaving behind glowing letters. They can employ this effect to write up to 100 letters per day, with the uses refreshing at dawn. The letters remain visible as long as the writer wishes, up to 8 hours maximum.