PDA

View Full Version : Grounding Fog -- homebrew spell I'm looking for feedback on

Karcharos
2017-06-19, 04:00 PM
For some slightly related background, our ground is probably going to be tangoing with a pissed off ancient blue dragon next session, so I was trying to think of ways to mitigate its breath weapon besides the obvious option of spreading out so it has a hard time hitting more than 2 of us with it.

Then I thought: "What if you could just spread the damage around a little more?"

Thus: Grounding fog. I'm trying to make this flexible and tactically interesting enough to be used either offensively, defensively, or even both, depending on the situation.

Grounding fog
L3?, ??ft?/15’ radius sphere, VSM, 1 reaction?, 1 round/Concentration, Conjuration, Druid/Ranger/Wiz

You blow a pinch of powdered copper towards the area where you want the grounding fog to form. It seeps rapidly from the ground and clings to anyone or anything in its area of effect, almost as if it were forming tendrils of mist. The fog provides partial cover (maybe?) and interacts with any electrical damage dealt within the cloud:

1. If there is only one creature in the cloud, the spell has no effect.

2. If there is more than one creature in the cloud, they cannot save against lightning damage. If the damaging spell has additional effects on a failed save, they can make a save as normal against those effects.

3. The total damage inflicted on anyone within the fog who was directly hit by the spell is added up, then divided evenly between everyone inside the cloud.

Example: Chamomile, Drax and their three allies are fighting a blue dragon. Drax casts grounding fog so that the dragon and all but one party member are in the area of effect. The dragon uses its breath weapon, hitting Chamomile and her ally outside the fog. The DM rolls 40 points of damage. Chamomile gets no save, but her ally makes his save and only takes 20 damage.

The 40 points of damage inflicted within the cloud is split evenly between the dragon (which is resistant to electricity) and the four party members in the fog and rounded down. None of them get a saving throw. The dragon takes 4 points of damage due to its resistance, and each party member in the cloud takes 8 points of damage.

Tangentially: Is there a good place on the web to get this kind of feedback. I posted a background on /r/homebrew and got very little (probably because it was a background).