PDA

View Full Version : Spells for a Chameleon build

danielxcutter
2017-06-19, 09:30 PM
I'm making a Chameleon build 'cause I'm bored, and maybe to use for a character eventually.

The thing is... while there's plenty of info about grabbing spells earlier than normal, I just want to find some good, solid combat spells for a Chameleon gish-in-a-can build. Like Wraithstrike, for example.

(Note: "Combat" spells mean buffs + BFC + anything else a Chameleon gish should use in-combat)

Entry is Rogue 1/Ranger 1/Fighter 1/Totemist 2. Race is PHB human(yes, Silverbloods are much better, but that's your problem).

I'll add to the lists(see below) as you guys give suggestions, or I find them by myself. There are probably a lot of spells I've overlooked, even in core, so don't hesitate to give advice.

All official 3.5 and non-updated 3.0 sources are allowed, but not Dragon Magazine(Dragon Compedium is allowed).

*: Is also a divine spell of the same level.

-1st: nerveskitter, true strike, blade of blood, shield, mage armor, guided shot*, sniper's shot*, protection from[alignment], dispel magic(Trapsmith)

-2nd: fire shuriken, lightning blade(Wu Jen 2), wraithstrike, bladeweave, cloud of knives*, wings of cover, lesser energy surge, mirror image, blur, invisibility, alter self, heroics, blink

-3rd: steeldance, greater magic weapon*, greater mighty wallop, energy surge, haste, greater mage armor, dimension step, , displacement, ferocity of sanguin rage, repelling shield, dimension door(Trapsmith), heart of water, fly

-4th: greater invisibility, greater mirror image, polymorph, mass resist energy, stoneskin, shadow conjuration, black tentacles, thunderlance, hold monster(Bard), enervation, nightmare terrain

-5th: greater blink, shadow evocation, disintegrate(Duskblade), arcane fusion, draconic polymorph, fiendform, greater dispel magic(Bard), wall of force

-6th: greater energy surge, true seeing, irresistable dance, wall of iron

*: Is also an arcane spell of the same level.

-1st: divine sacrifice, bless weapon(Paladin), resist energy, hunter's mercy, (Ranger), guided shot*, sniper's shot*(Concecrated Harrier),[/I] , faerie fire, snake's swiftness[/i](Druid)[/i], divine favor[/i](Cleric)

-2nd: protection from energy, wind wall(Ranger), cloud of knives*(Cleric)

-3rd: venomfire, giant's wrath(Druid), fell the greatest foe, greater magic weapon*, blessing of bahamut(Paladin),

-4th: holy sword(Paladin), foebane(Ranger), divine power(Cleric), summon giants(Disciple of Thrym)

-5th: divine agility, rightous might(Cleric)

-6th: (currently unaware)

prototype00
2017-06-19, 09:55 PM
Tefflamar Shadowlord from Unapproachable East has levitate, invisibility and greater invisibility at lower levels on its spell list.

danielxcutter
2017-06-19, 09:57 PM
Tefflamar Shadowlord from Unapproachable East has levitate, invisibility and greater invisibility at lower levels on its spell list.

Arcane or divine?

prototype00
2017-06-19, 10:00 PM
Arcane or divine?

Arcane IIRC..,

Here it is, the Shadowlord Spell list.

1st level - blindness deafness, chill touch, darkness, darkvision, invisibility, knock, levitate, shadow mask, shadow spray.
2nd level - air walk, blacklight, displacement, haste, improved invisibility, nondetection, vampiric touch.
3rd level - confusion, darkbolt, detect scrying, dimension door, mass invisibility, mislead.

danielxcutter
2017-06-19, 10:01 PM
Arcane IIRC..,

I see. At what level?

prototype00
2017-06-20, 08:56 AM
I see. At what level?

Actually just use this:

http://web.archive.org/web/20160801123834/http://brilliantgameologists.com:80/boards/index.php?topic=12661

It lists all the spells at the lowest levels you can get them, which should be as good for the Chameleon as it is for the Artificer.

prototype00

Kaleph
2017-06-20, 10:17 AM
I found an old spell-list for a Level 10 chameleon, I just copy paste it here in case you may find something interesting. The spell-lists I emulated were cleric and wizard. I cannot recall exactly why I had chosen those spells, but I'm pretty sure that the cleric spells were mostly day-long buffs, since I planned to switch focus during the day.

1 Alarm
1 Ebon eyes
1 Healer's vision
1 Comprehend languages
1 Delay disease
1 Divine insight
1 Endure elements
2 Divine insight
2 Divine insight
2 Restoration, lesser
2 Cure moderate wounds
2 Status
2 Delay poison
3 Magic vestment
3 Venomfire
3 Magic vestment
3 Chain of eyes
3 Divine retaliation
3 Interplanar message
4 Undead bane weapon
4 Delay death
4 Potere divino
4 Panacea
4 Cure critical wounds
5 Revivify
5 Plane shift
5 Break enchantment
5 True seeing
5 Magic weapon, greater
6 Resistance, superior
6 Energy immunity

1 Ray of enfeeblement
1 Silent image
1 Grease
1 Familiar's pocket
1 Bigby's helping hand
1 Disguise self
2 Heroics
2 Resist energy
2 Ropetrick
2 Invisibility
2 Heart of air
3 Primal instinct
3 Magic weapon, greater
3 Anticipate teleportation
3 Dimension step
3 Phantom steed
3 Ray of dizziness
3 Greater mighty wallop
4 Evard's black tentacles
4 Detect scrying
4 Dimension door
4 Celerity
4 Otiluke's telekinetic sphere
4 Ray deflection
5 Teleport
5 Wall of force
5 Overland flight
5 Telekinesis
5 Wall of stone
5 Draconic polymorph
6 Imbue familiar with spell ability
6 Dispel magic, greater
6 Freezing fog

Please notice that my entry was illumian with cloistered cleric 1, to have substantially DMM:persist on divine power and draconic polymorph.

Mmmm I'm not sure if I understand correctly your plan, but anyhow. When you use your arcane/divine focus, you may not mix up spells coming from different lists; for example, after concentrating on the arcane focus, you must chose if you want to emulate the wizard, bard, trapsmith, wu-jen, whatever. Probably it's already clear to you, if so just ignore this Spoiler.

prototype00
2017-06-20, 10:32 AM
Mmmm I'm not sure if I understand correctly your plan, but anyhow. When you use your arcane/divine focus, you may not mix up spells coming from different lists; for example, after concentrating on the arcane focus, you must chose if you want to emulate the wizard, bard, trapsmith, wu-jen, whatever. Probably it's already clear to you, if so just ignore this Spoiler.

Where does it say that in the rules, pray? I looked and wasn't able to find such a restriction.

prototype00

Kaleph
2017-06-20, 11:26 AM
The description says that the spells may be chosen from the spell list of any arcane class - not from the spells lists of any number of arcane classes.

danielxcutter
2017-06-21, 03:55 AM
Actually just use this:

http://web.archive.org/web/20160801123834/http://brilliantgameologists.com:80/boards/index.php?topic=12661

It lists all the spells at the lowest levels you can get them, which should be as good for the Chameleon as it is for the Artificer.

prototype00

I just checked this, and it's better than I expected. Thanks!

I found an old spell-list for a Level 10 chameleon, I just copy paste it here in case you may find something interesting. The spell-lists I emulated were cleric and wizard. I cannot recall exactly why I had chosen those spells, but I'm pretty sure that the cleric spells were mostly day-long buffs, since I planned to switch focus during the day.

1 Alarm
1 Ebon eyes
1 Healer's vision
1 Comprehend languages
1 Delay disease
1 Divine insight
1 Endure elements
2 Divine insight
2 Divine insight
2 Restoration, lesser
2 Cure moderate wounds
2 Status
2 Delay poison
3 Magic vestment
3 Venomfire
3 Magic vestment
3 Chain of eyes
3 Divine retaliation
3 Interplanar message
4 Undead bane weapon
4 Delay death
4 Potere divino
4 Panacea
4 Cure critical wounds
5 Revivify
5 Plane shift
5 Break enchantment
5 True seeing
5 Magic weapon, greater
6 Resistance, superior
6 Energy immunity

1 Ray of enfeeblement
1 Silent image
1 Grease
1 Familiar's pocket
1 Bigby's helping hand
1 Disguise self
2 Heroics
2 Resist energy
2 Ropetrick
2 Invisibility
2 Heart of air
3 Primal instinct
3 Magic weapon, greater
3 Anticipate teleportation
3 Dimension step
3 Phantom steed
3 Ray of dizziness
3 Greater mighty wallop
4 Evard's black tentacles
4 Detect scrying
4 Dimension door
4 Celerity
4 Otiluke's telekinetic sphere
4 Ray deflection
5 Teleport
5 Wall of force
5 Overland flight
5 Telekinesis
5 Wall of stone
5 Draconic polymorph
6 Imbue familiar with spell ability
6 Dispel magic, greater
6 Freezing fog

Please notice that my entry was illumian with cloistered cleric 1, to have substantially DMM:persist on divine power and draconic polymorph.

The spells are nice, but I've literally never heard of that ruling. I mean, you could read it like that, but it makes Chameleons nearly worthless.

Kaleph
2017-06-21, 04:58 AM
The spells are nice, but I've literally never heard of that ruling. I mean, you could read it like that, but it makes Chameleons nearly worthless.

The text is not written in such an unequivocal way, that I can force anyone to accept my intepretation as the only possible one. Still, this is what I understand when I read it.

On the other Hand, I find it the most balanced reading (which does not necessarily imply it's the correct one), and with this I disagree with your consideration, the chameleon is definitely NOT worthless. I'll make some examples.

At char-level 8, you are able to cast the spells that a trapsmith would cast at char-level 10. This includes, amongst others, wall of stone (as a Level 10 wizard) and greater dispel Magic (that a wizard cannot yet cast), and a CL 10, as a full-caster. And this, on-top of mimic class Feature, an excellent Chassis, a Floating feat, and the benefits of 5 Level of dips. And you can have a different focus every day, including access to any - individually taken - divine spellcasting class, i.e. potential access to any Level 3 divine spell. Not bad.

At char-Level 9 you get a +2 to an ability score, that you may swap every time you re-assign your attitude Focus - which starts to happen multiple times per day at level 10. By the way, again at Level 10, you may cast 4th Level bard spells - so you're spell-wise on par with a bard, with the difference that you're preparing spells (and you get directly access to all of them, by chosing divine Focus --> divine bard).
Ah, not to mention that, if you're an illumian, you may probably persist divine power and polymorph at the same time; a remarkable feat for a 10th Level PC. And this is only one of the strategies you may adopt in your adventuring day.

At char-Level 12 you get double aptitude and may, say, have bard and duskblade spells until 5th Level, just to make an example. This include, amongst others, mass Suggestion and greater heroism (normally Level 6), or Bigby's clenched fist and polar ray (Level 8), or chain lightning and disintegrate (again Level 6). Compare it with a gish-in-a-can, like bard, to see that at this Point he gets to cast only Level 4 spells.

At char-Level 14, besides the 2 times +4 unnamed ability boons, you cast 6th Level arcane and divine. I mean, mystic theurge go hide yourself. Ah, caster Level 18. And still with your solid Chassis and your Dips.
I mean, with persist spell, at this point you may easily be a customizable mystic theurge (with higher CL and de facto access to higher Level spells) on a lock-down/übercharger Basis, who's also disarming traps and scouting in his spare time.