PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions needed; A present for an CE Adult Black Dragon.

minderp
2017-06-19, 10:13 PM
In our current campaign, we have just stolen a lich's phylactery from within a Cairn Linnorm's horde.
Yep, that's what we did.

As a side note, i write up our campaign's in much more detail than we play them.

To get to the phylactery, we used an Adult Black Dragon in our service as bait to draw the Linnorm away.
As reward, my PC promised a prize from the horde to the dragon.

In game, it was hand waved that i could make it whatever i wanted for story, as long as it was easy to retrieve and fit in my pack.

I want something a little cooler than some fancy jewellery, a goblet or a sack of coins.
Suggestions?

minderp
2017-06-19, 10:28 PM
Oh, and as a guide, Dm said it can be worth anything up to 15,000g.

Miltonian
2017-06-19, 10:38 PM
Hmm, an interesting problem. Let me see if I can help.

Black dragons are cruel and love power. So, something that allows it to enslave or bully weaker creatures would be appreciated. I would suggest Crown of the Iron King from Pathfinder, but that is a minor artifact with no price listed. Still, you might try and think of something along those lines.

Another possibility is to bring it a trophy. Maybe the horde held the enchanted sword of a legendary dragon slayer. Take it and present it to the Black Dragon. Bonus points if the item is intelligent and good-aligned. Then it has something to torture.

Draconium
2017-06-19, 10:49 PM
We dragons do love our treasure. If I recall, Black Dragons especially like to collect coins and similar, smaller bits of treasure, so a gift like that wouldn't go amiss, as long as you bring enough of it. He might get offended if he feels you're being stingy with your reward. Also remember that Black Dragons like to live in semi-submerged lairs in swamps, so make sure that water damage would be a minimal issue for whatever you give him.

Nifft
2017-06-19, 11:04 PM
- One Palantir.

- A witch-seed that grows into a variety of dangerous plant-monsters, which are always friendly to the creature who nurses them with its blood.

- If the dragon is from an edition where dragons cast spells, then something that buffs the dragon's spellcasting, like a Runestaff.

minderp
2017-06-19, 11:13 PM
Another possibility is to bring it a trophy. Maybe the horde held the enchanted sword of a legendary dragon slayer.

This is where my thinking went, something specific to dragon slaying.
The dragon is known as Jeratheon Knightsbane.
So i've been trying to come up with something knight-related but am drawing a blank. The sword is a good idea, just want to make it a little more specific to him, maybe?

He might get offended if he feels you're being stingy with your reward.

He is bound to our service by his sire, for the insult of him being defeated (but spared) by our party, and returned to his sire. Though it doesn't matter to the rest of our group if he is offended, for my PC it is a matter of pride that he is well-compensated. She would never suffer being known as stingy. :smalltongue:

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-06-19, 11:14 PM
The linnorms egg.

Only works if these two have personal beef, rather than this just being business.

Cisturn
2017-06-19, 11:22 PM
Have you ever heard of a Decanter of Endless Water? Like that only fill it with Wine instead. A dragon with a decanter full of endless wine should be a happy dragon!

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-06-19, 11:26 PM
An anymug, yes, that might actually be really helpful to a dragon semi-stuck in their lair. As long as they can use the item easily.

Jay R
2017-06-20, 12:37 PM
A lich's phylactery might be an interesting idea. If the lich starts to come back, he will be crushed by the dragon long before he can do anything.

Berenger
2017-06-20, 01:26 PM
Have you ever heard of a Decanter of Endless Water? Like that only fill it with Wine instead. A dragon with a decanter full of endless wine should be a happy dragon!

Just use an ordinary Decanter of Endless Water. It adds nearly six hundred thousand cubic meters of water to the dragons swamp, per year.

Mastikator
2017-06-20, 01:28 PM
A huge pile of gold coins. I've heard dragons love that sort of thing.

Draconium
2017-06-20, 01:55 PM
A lich's phylactery might be an interesting idea. If the lich starts to come back, he will be crushed by the dragon long before he can do anything.

Yeah, I don't think that's a good idea. Dragons tend to be paranoid, and he might view this as an assassination attempt. Plus, it's just annoying having to regularly take time out of your day just to crush a half-formed skeleton.

Rodimal
2017-06-20, 02:49 PM
Halfling's .... lots and lots of Halflings. And if you intend to screw the dragon at some point; at least two Kender.

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-06-20, 03:22 PM
How about a tiny golden golem? That should be to a dragon what a rabbit is to us. It provides company and entertainment while at the same time triggering all of the instincts that make the dragon go "Ooooooh, it's so precious."

Floopay
2017-06-20, 03:37 PM
Oh, and as a guide, Dm said it can be worth anything up to 15,000g.

Black Dragon, I'm guessing he's in a swamp, which means he probably doesn't have a lot of beef. I would just hire a farmer and caravan to bring him regular deliveries of cattle for the rest of your lifetime.

I mean, if he ends up really liking it, you could later up the deliveries or start delivering horses and stuff in exchange for more favors and products.

Thanks for reading,
Floopay

Mutazoia
2017-06-21, 04:59 AM
... funny, but completely inappropriate post, resisted.....

DigoDragon
2017-06-21, 07:12 AM
Black Dragon, I'm guessing he's in a swamp, which means he probably doesn't have a lot of beef.

Give him a fair maiden that owns a lot of property? He lives in a bloody swamp. He could use all the land he could get! :smallbiggrin: [/Monty Python]

GreatWyrmGold
2017-06-21, 07:21 AM
Halfling's .... lots and lots of Halflings. And if you intend to screw the dragon at some point; at least two Kender.

Black Dragon, I'm guessing he's in a swamp, which means he probably doesn't have a lot of beef. I would just hire a farmer and caravan to bring him regular deliveries of cattle for the rest of your lifetime.
Not that these are bad ideas, but...

In game, it was hand waved that i could make it whatever i wanted for story, as long as it was easy to retrieve and fit in my pack.

It's tempting to lump all dragons together, or all dragons of a given color, but that's not accurate. The best gift you can give any dragon is going to vary from dragon to dragon. Get something relevant to its interests; a jeweled chess set for the cunning planner, a flawless jewel for a jewel connoisseur, a scrying orb for a lover of divining, whatever.

Lord Torath
2017-06-21, 09:09 AM
A particular androgynous elven wizard, trussed up on a silver platter. (But leave the elf's family alone, if you know what's good for you!) I mean, what black dragon wouldn't love that for a present?

Whyrocknodie
2017-06-21, 10:06 AM
Slaughter the dragon, take all the treasure. Bind the corpse to your will as an undying minion for all eternity. Cackle insanely.