View Full Version : Lilly's Lovely Random Banter #87

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Thes Hunter
2007-08-08, 02:12 PM
Atleast it makes more sense than this... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmUCYN1FYLA&mode=related&search=)

Too bad I forgot to place my vote for Eurovision.

I actually think that song is pretty cool. And do songs need to make sense? Specially in a language I don't speak?

But I will add, that if I ever get bad customer service in an amusement park, it is from a Ukrainian girl. (Not that all Ukrainian girls give bad service, since I have also had good service from them, but if I get bad service, it is invariably comes from a Ukrainian girl.)

The Great Skenardo
2007-08-08, 02:40 PM
Since we're airing youtube videos, I'd like to give a plug to a local group in my area doing a fantastic song better than I think I've ever heard it done professionally.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1bHLf7VIbU
The song is Hallelujah.

Azrael
2007-08-08, 02:40 PM
(Not that all Ukrainian girls give bad service, since I have also had good service from them, but if I get bad service, it is invariably comes from a Ukrainian girl.)

I'm just intrigued that you've been to enough amusement parks with Ukrainian customer service reps to be able to comment on such a trend.

Alarra
2007-08-08, 02:47 PM
Chances are, you could get in by PMing...

Who starts these things, anyway? I want to say "Alarra", but it's not always her, I don't think.

To go back a conversation or so....yes....a vast majority of the time, it is I that starts the chats. Although ER and Andre have also been of late. Should you desire to get in on the hot msn chatting action. Just toss me a pm and I'll add you to my buddy list and bring you in next time we have one. Which...hmm....I suppose now's a good time to start one...

Lord Herman
2007-08-08, 02:49 PM
Now, I've never posted in Random Banter before, but I have the pressing need to deposit a thought I just had, looking at my nearly full PM box.

"Hmm, maybe it's time I built another house, so I have room for another ten PMs."

That's what I get for playing too many RTSes.

bosssmiley
2007-08-08, 03:12 PM
Atleast it makes more sense than this... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmUCYN1FYLA&mode=related&search=)

And when they come to destroy our world we will say unto them:

"But humans have achieved so much. Look at our art, hear our music, explore the purity of our mathematics, experience the profound luminosity of our religious experiences. Are we not worthy of life? Surely you must stay your wrath."

They will say nothing, but merely shake their hoary heads and play a copy of this video. And man will fall to his knees weeping in repentance, and will give them the only answer such an accusation deserves:

"Fire at will"

Now, I've never posted in Random Banter before, but I have the pressing need to deposit a thought I just had, looking at my nearly full PM box.

"Hmm, maybe it's time I built another house, so I have room for another ten PMs."

:smallconfused:

Surely you mean:

"Spawn more Overlords" :smallbiggrin:

Penguinizer
2007-08-08, 03:16 PM
No,no,no,no...

"You must construct additional pylons!"

Lord Herman
2007-08-08, 03:20 PM
Well, I have been playing a lot of Age of Empires III for the last few days. But then again, I've been playing the British, so I should have said 'manors'. And those automatically spawn a free PM when built :smallconfused:

Cyrano
2007-08-08, 03:26 PM
It's okay.

D'anna, the self-proclaimed troll, merely succumbed to my supernatural aura of troll-combustion. Troll-types tend to fear me, especially if they seem to start losing an argument.

In fact, I'd say D'anna may even be redeemable. The reply to my prose was quite civil. :smallbiggrin:

When did I self proclaim I was a troll? I self proclaimed I was a jerk, but that's the extent of it.

Penguinizer
2007-08-08, 03:32 PM
I have always declared myself to be generally weird.

Can a mod change my title to Weird in the Playground for a day >.>

Or for a longer time...

D'anna, wait a bit, I'll go look for something to scar your psyche.

Thes Hunter
2007-08-08, 03:33 PM
When did I self proclaim I was a troll? I self proclaimed I was a jerk, but that's the extent of it.

I don't know about other people, but I kinda have this impression that people don't tend to like jerks.

Why would you actively seek to be disliked by people? :smallconfused:

Cyrano
2007-08-08, 03:35 PM
I have always declared myself to be generally weird.

Can a mod change my title to Weird in the Playground for a day >.>

Or for a longer time...

D'anna, wait a bit, I'll go look for something to scar your psyche.

No dice, I don't have headphones right now, so I can't listen. When I can, I'll go after your other posts.

EDIT ^ Also sociopathic serial killer and compulsive liar.
I don't CHOOSE these things.

Penguinizer
2007-08-08, 03:41 PM
Some day, when you least expect it. I'll Avril Lavigne you....

Thes Hunter
2007-08-08, 03:41 PM
I'm just intrigued that you've been to enough amusement parks with Ukrainian customer service reps to be able to comment on such a trend.

The two I can think of me seeing this is Cedar Point and Noah's Ark. Both parks give where the person comes from on their name tags. I have a habit of looking at name tags. One because I am trying to get better at names. Two, because the weather and general banter about where a person is from are two easy ways to be jovial and friendly with sales people, which I strive to be always. Which is part of the reason I become a fronted by bad customer service since I am trying to be nice.

Castaras
2007-08-08, 03:43 PM
I'll Avril Lavigne you....

...And you'll get Jibared.

No idea what Jibaring is, but you'll be Jibared.

Cyrano
2007-08-08, 03:44 PM
Some day, when you least expect it. I'll Avril Lavigne you....

Sorry, I'm Canadian. We have Celine Dion. I mean, Avril Lavigne is canadian too, but we have natural immunity to bad music.

Logic
2007-08-08, 03:45 PM

I could have sworn this wasn't your first appearance.

And are the PM's all that improtant that they must be kept? Or are you just that popular?

Penguinizer
2007-08-08, 03:46 PM
Sorry, I'm Canadian. We have Celine Dion. I mean, Avril Lavigne is canadian too, but we have natural immunity to bad music.

Hmm...

I must choose another course of action. I will find something!

Even if I have to go to the ends of youtube. I will...

Lord Herman
2007-08-08, 03:47 PM
I could have sworn this wasn't your first appearance.

And are the PM's all that improtant that they must be kept? Or are you just that popular?

Nah, they're just PMed actions for Team Ready, Aim, Fire. I can delete them once I've read them. I was supposed to think "Maybe it's about time I cleaned my PM box", but instead I thought "Maybe it's about time I built another house".

Eldpollard
2007-08-08, 03:47 PM
...And you'll get Jibared.

No idea what Jibaring is, but you'll be Jibared.

It sound's like a show on MTV, with a poorly placed apostrophe of course.
MTV will cause grammars downfall, mark my words! Oh yes, mark them!

Thes Hunter
2007-08-08, 03:48 PM
EDIT ^ Also sociopathic serial killer and compulsive liar.
I don't CHOOSE these things.

You have more control than you think grasshopper.

Cyrano
2007-08-08, 03:50 PM
Hmm...

I must choose another course of action. I will find something!

Even if I have to go to the ends of youtube. I will...

Hello? Clinically insane due to your videos? I don't care anymore!

Thes: Maybe I do, but I don't want to spend the effort to exercise it. I'm lazy.

Penguinizer
2007-08-08, 03:51 PM
Avril Lavigne'in is when you supposedly link to a video relevant to a thread. But it is actually to a Avril Lavigne video.

I will find something. I swear....

On another note: An awesome fight scene. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=TCWsmU_tDW0&mode=related&search=)

Cyrano
2007-08-08, 03:53 PM
Avril Lavigne'in is when you supposedly link to a video relevant to a thread. But it is actually to a Avril Lavigne video.

I will find something. I swear....

Yeah, but I'll enjoy it is all I'm sayin'.

Thes Hunter
2007-08-08, 03:55 PM
Thes: Maybe I do, but I don't want to spend the effort to exercise it. I'm lazy.

Ok, I will take that as a sign to ignore all of your posts from now on.
Because why would anyone really want to be in the company of a jerk?
Especially one who is too lazy to even try to be nice to people?

Trog
2007-08-08, 04:33 PM
Especially one who is too lazy to even try to be nice to people?

*wanders in smoking*
Did someone call Trog?

Sean92k
2007-08-08, 04:36 PM
Ok, I will take that as a sign to ignore all of your posts from now on.
Especially one who is too lazy to even try to be nice to people?*Waves*Im not a jerk and im very nice, dont ignore me :'¬(

Thes Hunter
2007-08-08, 04:38 PM
*wanders in smoking*
Did someone call Trog?

Who says I want your company?:smallbiggrin:

You haven't seen the way I have booby trapped your floor yet. :smallwink:

Trog
2007-08-08, 04:43 PM
Who says I want your company?:smallbiggrin:

You haven't seen the way I have booby trapped your floor yet. :smallwink:
Sweet. Booby.

*puffs*

Trog hears only what Trog wants to hear.

*begins to wander off and falls into a pit trap that opens unexpectedly at his feet*

Amotis
2007-08-08, 04:46 PM
Aren't you guys like...an arm's reach away from each other. :smalltongue:

Hehe...booby.

Oh...and...

CONSTRUCT ADDITIONAL PYLONS! (http://youtube.com/watch?v=NG6PSRsjMYQ)

SurlySeraph
2007-08-08, 04:49 PM
But you can't construct additional pylons, because YOU'VE NOT ENOUGH MINERALS!

Thes Hunter
2007-08-08, 04:53 PM
Aren't you guys like...an arm's reach away from each other. :smalltongue:

From a continental perspective, yes. However, he is at work... and I should be at 'work'.

*trog slips on piles of papers at the bottom of the pit*
*then gets consumed by the Monstrous words NADPH oxidase, and Mineralocorticoid receptor*

Lord Herman
2007-08-08, 04:53 PM
What? Out of minerals again? Clearly, Tassadar has failed us.

Sean92k
2007-08-08, 04:54 PM
*trog slips on piles of papers at the bottom of the pit*
*then gets consumed by the Monstrous words NADPH oxidase, and Mineralocorticoid receptor*No Rancor? Every pit needs a Rancor

Thes Hunter
2007-08-08, 05:08 PM
No Rancor? Every pit needs a Rancor

Mineralocorticoid's are just as dangerous as the Rancor, but are insidious killers. One gone wild will ripe your heart to shreds just like a Rancor. :smallwink:

Sean92k
2007-08-08, 05:09 PM
Mineralocorticoid's are just as dangerous as the Rancor, but are insidious killers. One gone wild will ripe your heart to shreds just like a Rancor. :smallwink:Rancors tend to take the rest of the body along with the heart plus they're cool. Damn show offy Skywalker

The Great Skenardo
2007-08-08, 05:15 PM
Smell kinda bad, though. And you have to put up with the grunting noises.

Trog
2007-08-08, 05:16 PM
No Rancor? Every pit needs a Rancor
*Trog's voice echoes up through the trapdoor*

Oh trust Trog there's rancor down here. Plenty. :smallannoyed:

Down! Down you... you... unpronounceable thingies you!

*WHACK! SMAK! THUD! Trapdoor closes*

Lord Herman
2007-08-08, 05:16 PM
Smell kinda bad, though. And you have to put up with the grunting noises.

That, and it's darn hard to fit a Rancor into a dog house.

Sean92k
2007-08-08, 05:17 PM
Smell kinda bad, though. And you have to put up with the grunting noises.Me or the rancor? http://www.randomsabers.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Dragonrider
2007-08-08, 05:29 PM
Me or the rancor? http://www.randomsabers.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif

best not to dwell on that.

Sean92k
2007-08-08, 05:33 PM
best not to dwell on that.*Grunts* That translates into (You're a meany weeney)

FdL
2007-08-08, 06:50 PM
What I wanna know is, how come it took till the 20th century to get women (in our country, at any rate) out of skirts and into said tubes of cloth? Do women's legs not get scratched by said thistles?

(Don't make that into something dirty cuz I can see it coming :smallamused:)

Oww...That's preemptive censorship :p *sigh* Ok, you get brownie points ^^

Not that I've got anything against skirts, mind, I like skirts, but honestly, when you think practically.... *shakes head*

I always thought kilts had it right...seems like guys would like some more 'freedom' down there than pants offer.
But thats me.

You know, I think along the same lines about women who only wear pants (ie, 99%).

You do realize what direction is this taking, don't you? Were talking of getting men to wear skirts when women don't use them so often anymore. :)

I love skirts. I looooooooove skirts and I can't really understand why young beautiful women don't wear them more often. Should I blame feminism? If I was a woman I'd wear skirts all the time (well, it's a big if anyway :p)

No, really, I want a female opinion. Why do you prefer pants to skirts?

Add-Edit:

Wait, you first ask why it took so long for women to get out of skirts, and then wonder why your dad was in a skirt? Something is very odd.

What I said :s

At any rate, women wearing tight pants look really good.:smallamused:

That's true too. But I'm kinda used to it. It's more...magic for me to see a young lady wearing a skirt... <3
ohhhH...And don't get me started on the lastest fashions of wearing a skirt over pants. What's happening to the world? :smallannoyed: Whoever came up with that idea?

Edit2: I use MSN, count me in for chatting. I thought the majority here used other things. I take AIM means AOL Instant Messenger and it's another client. Never used that. I hate AOL.

Dragonrider
2007-08-08, 07:05 PM
I love skirts. I looooooooove skirts and I can't really understand why young beautiful women don't wear them more often. Should I blame feminism? If I was a woman I'd wear skirts all the time (well, it's a big if anyway :p)

I wore almost exclusively skirts & dresses till I was about twelve. I honestly can't remember my reasoning, just that I preferred them. I reached a point where sometimes I just had to wear jeans, and now I'm at about fifty-fifty.

An interesting note: when I wear a skirt or a dress, adults are more comfortable with me; when I wear jeans, other teenagers like me better. Probably because in the latter I look like "just another teen" and when I'm wearing a long skirt, adults tend to take me more seriously.

:smalltongue: I AM that type of person to make my life into one great big social experiment.

Sean92k
2007-08-08, 07:05 PM
I take AIM means AOL Instant Messenger and it's another client. Never used that. I hate AOL.You dont need Aol to have aim. I dont.

Dragonrider
2007-08-08, 07:07 PM
You dont need Aol to have aim. I dont.

Although I don't have AIM, I'm guess they still conform to the AOL catchphrase: "Hello, how may I reformat your PC today?"

Sean92k
2007-08-08, 07:08 PM
Although I don't have AIM, I'm guess they still conform to the AOL catchphrase: "Hello, how may I reformat your PC today?"It sorta does, but if you click enough 'Declines' it goes away:smallwink:

Rawhide
2007-08-08, 07:30 PM
Edit2: I use MSN, count me in for chatting. I thought the majority here used other things. I take AIM means AOL Instant Messenger and it's another client. Never used that. I hate AOL.

Trillian?.

North
2007-08-08, 07:32 PM
Arent Trills a race on Star Trek?

Thes Hunter
2007-08-08, 07:37 PM

I think the question you have to ask yourself is....

Was that 5 shots or 6? er... no....

The question is...

How likely is it that the programer who made the multi-service chat client was a Star Trek geek?

Rawhide
2007-08-08, 07:44 PM

Trillian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trillian_%28character%29)
The Trillain Client (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trillian_%28software%29)

How likely is it that the programer who made the multi-service chat client was a Star Trek geek?
Nothing to do with Star Trek

FdL
2007-08-08, 07:48 PM
You dont need Aol to have aim. I dont.

Sure. But then again what's the point of using any IM client other than the fact that the people you want to talk with use it?

Oh, and I know you don't need AOL, but it still bears the name and probably gives money to the same people.

Trillian?.

Yeah, I'd use those kinds of multi-protocol things, but I really don't have any contacts outside MSN. See, everyone uses MSN here. Not that "here" makes much sense in the internet, but well...

Although I don't have AIM, I'm guess they still conform to the AOL catchphrase: "Hello, how may I reformat your PC today?"

Q'd the cute curly girl FT.

Aeddit:*

I wore almost exclusively skirts & dresses till I was about twelve. I honestly can't remember my reasoning, just that I preferred them. I reached a point where sometimes I just had to wear jeans, and now I'm at about fifty-fifty.

Hmmm...I don't know why I'm thinking young girls tend to use more skirts. The related question would be why this changes when they grow up. It's interesting, you know. Probably has to do with sexuality and projected image (and probably we couldn't talk about it here even in a serious way :s)

An interesting note: when I wear a skirt or a dress, adults are more comfortable with me; when I wear jeans, other teenagers like me better. Probably because in the latter I look like "just another teen" and when I'm wearing a long skirt, adults tend to take me more seriously.

:smalltongue: I AM that type of person to make my life into one great big social experiment.

Hehehe! That's interesting and funny. The skirt as a means of socializing with different age groups :) Social experiments are fun. What is life but a big social experiment? (and as such it might fail)

* I always forget to add something I want to comment on. Also I keep replying to old topics. RB is becoming too fast for me. I'm thinking of hiring a secretary to read it for me and help me keeping up :p

Ego Slayer
2007-08-08, 07:50 PM
I, apparently until I was nine or ten, would only wear dresses or skirts. I also don't remember why, though. Then I only wore pants/jeans after that for the longest time. I finally bought myself a couple long skirts not to long ago... so I'm sorta back to wearing one when I can.

No, really, I want a female opinion. Why do you prefer pants to skirts?
A long skirt is more elegant than jeans. Also, part of my brain still thinks (even though I'm not eight years old anymore) that I'm a princess or a fairy queen. :smallwink:

Thes Hunter
2007-08-08, 07:51 PM
Trillian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trillian_%28character%29)
The Trillain Client (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trillian_%28software%29)

Nothing to do with Star Trek

OOooooooh I am sooooooo sorry, Yeah, I know how those programmers HATE hitchhikers guide to the galaxy. :smallbiggrin:

Dragonrider
2007-08-08, 08:02 PM
I, apparently until I was nine or ten, would only wear dresses or skirts. I also don't remember why, though. Then I only wore pants/jeans after that for the longest time. I finally bought myself a couple long skirts not to long ago... so I'm sorta back to wearing one when I can.

:smallbiggrin: I'm glad I'm not alone.

FdL
2007-08-08, 08:02 PM

A long skirt is more elegant than jeans. Also, part of my brain still thinks (even though I'm not eight years old anymore) that I'm a princess or a fairy queen. :smallwink:

And you know? There's nothing wrong with that. That's one of the things I'm referring to when I say skirts are more "magic".
I don't want to come off as sexist, but for me it's nice to notice the differences between sexes (genders? I never remember), and a skirt is something very feminine.

Alarra
2007-08-08, 08:05 PM
I wear skirts all the time. Like I will go through phases where I wear them faaar more than jeans, nearly every day at times, and have tons of them.

This boggles my mother's mind.

Dragonrider
2007-08-08, 08:06 PM
:smallbiggrin: I like skirts and look feminine, and yet I'm the least squeamish girl I know when it comes to "gross" things (bugs, etc.) I love smashing stereotypes. It's great fun.

Korith
2007-08-08, 08:22 PM
As a guy, and the essentially one of the oldest of my generation, even in my extended family, my dress-wearing experience is extremely limited.

It was my younger male cousins who received the vast majority of the "dress-up" treatment from my younger-yet-slightly-older-than-they female cousins.

Dragonrider
2007-08-08, 09:02 PM
I recall one instance where my mother forced me to let my little brother wear one of my dresses, because he begged her for HOURS.

:smallbiggrin: on the other hand...reminding him of it is GREAT fun.

FdL
2007-08-08, 09:16 PM
LOL @ Dragonrider :smallbiggrin:

Well now that you mention it, I don't recall ever wearing women's clothes, I mean, not playing as a kid like Korith and DR mention, or even for a costume party or something (which I know friends who have).

Hmmm...I think that seeing myself dressed as a woman could be the most pathetic sight and probably the last one my brain can tolerate before cracking up like an egg.

Edit: Alarra, Ego, DR and the rest: go skirts!!! Yay! ^^
Unfortunately isolated examples do not solve the mystery that for me it's the non-skirted woman. Is it uncomfortable to wear a skirt, more than pants? Is it the additional attention they might get? Is it the cultural residue of a feminist thing?

Yesterday it was a nice sunny winter day here, and it's a given, girls put on their skirts on days like those. It's like flowers blooming, upside down. <3

Nomrom
2007-08-08, 09:22 PM
Well, I can honestly say that I have never worn women's clothing. Also, I'd have to say that I think girls look cuter when they wear skirts.

Cyrano
2007-08-08, 09:23 PM
I'm sorry, Fdl, what is the problem here? People have different fashion ideas. Some like to dress up in beautiful, comfortable skirts, others like to have amazingly uncomfortable pants. It's a personal choice. Don't be judgemental!

Oh by the way, one fashion thing I dislike? The short skirt. Yeah, it's sexy, yes, it makes me excited, and sure, it shows off your legs, but for gods sake, could ya be more blunt?

Madmal
2007-08-08, 09:29 PM
I recall one instance where my mother forced me to let my little brother wear one of my dresses, because he begged her for HOURS.

:smallbiggrin: on the other hand...reminding him of it is GREAT fun.

If you have gotten a picture. that'd be gold.:smalltongue: serioulsy, if we're talking about bribing...

The Great Skenardo
2007-08-08, 09:31 PM
Oh by the way, one fashion thing I dislike? The short skirt. Yeah, it's sexy, yes, it makes me excited, and sure, it shows off your legs, but for gods sake, could ya be more blunt?

I reply with this tidbit of wisdom:

It's a personal choice. Don't be judgemental!

Cyrano
2007-08-08, 09:35 PM
That was the point.
The more common statement there is "I see what you did there."

SurlySeraph
2007-08-08, 09:36 PM
...Being judgemental about other people's personal choices is bad? Oh... I've wasted my life...

SDF
2007-08-08, 09:38 PM
...Being judgemental about other people's personal choices is bad? Oh... I've wasted my life...

And I've wasted my ammo...

I want a new wardrobe. Or, at least a fitted suit.

Cyrano

It's...frowned upon.
Of course, absolutely everyone does it. And people make a living off it! They're called critics. So I hardly think it's wasted. Instead, you might be the next Ebert! Or Roeper! Or insert third famous critic!

The Great Skenardo
That was the point.
The more common statement there is "I see what you did there."

I call Ret-Con ! :smalltongue:

Cyrano
2007-08-08, 09:42 PM
I call Ret-Con ! :smalltongue:

I call what the heck is Ret-Con! I mean ? I mean, oh, nevermind, the moment is passed.

Serpentine
2007-08-08, 09:47 PM
For a while I only wore short or pants. Which is unfortunate, cuz I don't think I ever looked any good in shorts. It got to the point where I was accused of being a tom-boy...
I wear pants in winter cuz, you know, it's COLD, though I have been wearing stockings and the like more often lately, and thus more skirts and dresses. I have a reasonably impressive collection of skirts, really... But I need to replace my really thin, floaty brown one that's see-through in certain light. It tore right up when someone sat on it :smallfrown:

The latest fashion trend I hate? Scarf, singlet top, mini-skirt, and horrible great Ugg-boots. In Armidale. In winter. Often accompanied by "wow, it's cold! Aren't you cold?" No you twit, because I'm wearing real clothes!

The Great Skenardo
2007-08-08, 09:49 PM
Scarves are nice.
I've got this broad wool scarf that was my mother's that's Orange, brown and red, but people keep calling it a "Hogwarts" scarf.

Cyrano
2007-08-08, 09:52 PM
I have an unnatural obsession with Fedoras. I have yet to find the dream woman who wears them.

SurlySeraph
2007-08-08, 09:55 PM
It's...frowned upon.
Of course, absolutely everyone does it. And people make a living off it! They're called critics. So I hardly think it's wasted. Instead, you might be the next Ebert! Or Roeper! Or insert third famous critic!

Yay! I wanted to be a doctor, though. Ooh! I'll just imitate House! Constantly criticize everyone around me, while being a doctor. Too bad the med schools are probably already crowded with House wannabes. Eh well, I'm probably better than them.

EDIT: I go AFK a minute in the middle of writing my post... and when I came back, we're two pages away from the last page I read and everyone's talking about hats. You people think too fast!

Alarra
2007-08-08, 09:55 PM
I have an obsession with scarves. Not like the winter ones, like the silk types one can tie in their hair. I have dozens, in all sorts of colors and patterns. They're obnoxious and always getting in ones way, but I wear one almost every day anyway.

Cyrano
2007-08-08, 09:57 PM
Yay! I wanted to be a doctor, though. Ooh! I'll just imitate House! Constantly criticize everyone around me, while being a doctor. Too bad the med schools are probably already crowded with House wannabes. Eh well, I'm probably better than them.

That's the kind of attitude that gets you some attention!
Or fired.
Either one. Both, probably.

And why do so many people I know wanna be doctors (Including me. Be afraid.)?
I mean, right now, I'm voting for....money.

The Great Skenardo
2007-08-08, 09:59 PM
I have an obsession with scarves. Not like the winter ones, like the silk types one can tie in their hair. I have dozens, in all sorts of colors and patterns. They're obnoxious and always getting in ones way, but I wear one almost every day anyway.

Have you tried wearing them creatively? For example, use a simple wristband and a short-sleeved shirt to create impromptu sleeves.

Simply tie the scarves in a circular or spiral pattern to the wristband and the shirt, and you've got nifty colorful flared sleeves.

SurlySeraph
2007-08-08, 09:59 PM
That's the kind of attitude that gets you some attention!
Or fired.
Either one. Both, probably.

And why do so many people I know wanna be doctors (Including me. Be afraid.)?
I mean, right now, I'm voting for....money.

Because it's one of the most purely benevolent, good-for-all-humanity jobs out there, and because you make a lot of money. And because it's practical and cool, and you get to inspect members of the opposite gender naked. The first part is the main part that interests me, but I guess the others are valid.

Serpentine
2007-08-08, 10:01 PM
I have an unnatural obsession with Fedoras. I have yet to find the dream woman who wears them.
You'd like my friend, then. She is pretty dreamy... >sigh< Anyway, she has a couple of fedoras, some big boots, lots of impressive dresses and coats... She gave me my corset. Oh, and she's a Medieval Recreationist. Possibly on the downside, she's a Thespian. And she always said she'd make a great drag queen... :smallconfused:

Alarra
2007-08-08, 10:01 PM
Have you tried wearing them creatively? For example, use a simple wristband and a short-sleeved shirt to create impromptu sleeves.

Simply tie the scarves in a circular or spiral pattern to the wristband and the shirt, and you've got nifty colorful flared sleeves.

Nope, never done that. But I'll wear them around my wrist occasionally, or waist, or neck (which is i suppose where it's most common to wear a scarf actually)

The Great Skenardo
2007-08-08, 10:02 PM
Because it's one of the most purely benevolent, good-for-all-humanity jobs out there, and because you make a lot of money. And because it's practical and cool, and you get to inspect members of the opposite gender naked. The first part is the main part that interests me, but I guess the others are valid.

House, eh? Well, here's House's Hugh Laurie in his previous well-known role (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZUAxwpMJv8)

Cyrano
2007-08-08, 10:03 PM
You'd like my friend, then. She is pretty dreamy... >sigh< Anyway, she has a couple of fedoras, some big boots, lots of impressive dresses and coats... She gave me my corset. Oh, and she's a Medieval Recreationist. Possibly on the downside, she's a Thespian. And she always said she'd make a great drag queen... :smallconfused:

And here I always thought being female disqualified you?
And Thespians are no worse than say, Breathairians. I certainly don't find them bad people, as long as they don't try and convert me.

@ Surly: Hahahahahahahaahahahahaha *continues for some time *hahaha!
Yeah, your right, money, naked people.
Benevolence! You crack me up!

FdL
2007-08-08, 10:04 PM
I'm sorry, Fdl, what is the problem here? People have different fashion ideas. Some like to dress up in beautiful, comfortable skirts, others like to have amazingly uncomfortable pants. It's a personal choice. Don't be judgemental!

Nah, I'm not. I just stated my preference I'm just curious about their reasons to prefer one or the other. I think through history the skirt has had a bad rap, and I see the current place it holds in female fashion as a result of this.
Mind you, I'm not speaking about high fashion trends or couture or anything, just what girls my/your age wear everyday.

Well, sure you can. :smallconfused:

I fail to see your point, or at least why it comes out as a complaint. But well, "I won't be judgemental".

Ego Slayer
2007-08-08, 10:06 PM
For a while I only wore short or pants. Which is unfortunate, cuz I don't think I ever looked any good in shorts. It got to the point where I was accused of being a tom-boy...
I wear pants in winter cuz, you know, it's COLD, though I have been wearing stockings and the like more often lately, and thus more skirts and dresses. I have a reasonably impressive collection of skirts, really...
I really, really do not like shorts... well, as in, "I avoid wearing them." I dunno, they're not... me. I'm gonna see how this "skirts in winter" thing works out. If I freeze, I'm putting you in charge of finding a way to defrost me. :smallbiggrin:

But I need to replace my really thin, floaty brown one that's see-through in certain light.
I have one like that. =P

Cyrano
2007-08-08, 10:08 PM
I fail to see your point, or at least why it comes out as a complaint. But well, "I won't be judgemental".

I guess I malcomprehended "mystery of the non-skirted woman".
Or....did I?
Yeah, I probably did.

Well, sure you can.
Well...yes...you easily can...it's a figure of speech!

I think through history the skirt has had a bad rap, and I see the current place it holds in female fashion as a result of this.
Mind you, I'm not speaking about high fashion trends or couture or anything, just what girls my/your age wear everyday.

Now, see, I don't get that. I'm 14, and girls in my day wear almost entirely skirts. I mean, II suppose this could be because I go to a uniformed school, and a skirt is the only way you could look remotely sexy.

Rockphed
2007-08-08, 10:14 PM
Instead, you might be the next Ebert! Or Roeper! Or insert third famous critic!

I beleive it should be Siskel(sp) and Ebert! But Siskel died a couple years ago and so Roeper took his place.

Now we just need a couple critics in the playground! Like the muppets, only better, less silly, and harder to fling around.

SurlySeraph
2007-08-08, 10:15 PM
^ Ha! I know know D'anna's gender for sure, and know his age! My master plan is one step closer to completion! *rubs hands together maniacally*

Me, I prefer girls wearing pants to wearing skirts. Of course, I'm numbingly practical-minded, and part of this is because it's easier to run/ fight/ do pretty much anything in pants than in a skirt. At least, if you don't want to expose yourself.

Cyrano
2007-08-08, 10:16 PM
^ Ha! I know know D'anna's gender for sure, and know his age! My master plan is one step closer to completion! *rubs hands together maniacally*

How do you know my gender again?

SurlySeraph
2007-08-08, 10:19 PM
How do you know my gender again?

Elven magic, sir or madam!

FdL
2007-08-08, 10:19 PM
I guess I malcomprehended "mystery of the non-skirted woman".
Or....did I?
Yeah, I probably did.

*shrug* Well, not everyone likes it I guess.

Well...yes...you easily can...it's a figure of speech!

I don't think it's a bad way for a woman to feel pretty and/or express their sexuality at the same time. I don't think, and I'm going to purposefully exagerate here, a girl is "slutty" or anything for wearing sexy clothes, much less a mini-skirt. I understand it's part of dressing up to feel sexy and often to get attention from the opposite sex, which is not a bad thing at all.
Also, feminine clothing items like skirts, stockings, scarves, etc are after all features that explicitly mark the difference between the sexes, and I find that natural and refreshing in this time.

Now, see, I don't get that. I'm 14, and girls in my day wear almost entirely skirts. I mean, II suppose this could be because I go to a uniformed school, and a skirt is the only way you could look remotely sexy.

Sorry, the uniform consists of skirts? Because I'm thinking here that after seeing it everyday it can have the opposite effect, get bored of it or something (wouldn't happen to me I guess). Also uniforms have an effect that make people stand out more for their differences, because they're all dressed up the same. So they tend to disappear to the eye.

@Serpentine: I'm still hooked :S Can you get me banned every week day at this time approximately? :p

I'm off to HOMM V and bed guys!!!! This can't be all I do!!!!!! :s

Cyrano
2007-08-08, 10:24 PM
*I don't think it's a bad way for a woman to feel pretty and/or express their sexuality at the same time. I don't think, and I'm going to purposefully exagerate here, a girl is "slutty" or anything for wearing sexy clothes, much less a mini-skirt. I understand it's part of dressing up to feel sexy and often to get attention from the opposite sex, which is not a bad thing at all.
I'm not saying it's slutty. I agree that it's often to get attention from the opposite sex. That's why I don't like it. I'm just less....blatant in real life, and incredibly shy, and blatancy is...annoying to me.

*Sorry, the uniform consists of skirts? Because I'm thinking here that after seeing it everyday it can have the opposite effect, get bored of it or something (wouldn't happen to me I guess). Also uniforms have an effect that make people stand out more for their differences, because they're all dressed up the same. So they tend to disappear to the eye.
THe uniform consists of pants or skirts, by choice. Seeing it everyday DOES dull it, a bit, but mostly because it's dull grey skirts. I still love out-of-school ones.

Serpentine
2007-08-08, 10:28 PM
I really, really do not like shorts... well, as in, "I avoid wearing them." I dunno, they're not... me. I'm gonna see how this "skirts in winter" thing works out. If I freeze, I'm putting you in charge of finding a way to defrost me. :smallbiggrin:
I recommend good, thick stockings and/or thermal underwear. Oh, and big boots. Also it helps that one of my dresses is long-sleeved, high-necked, black, and made of wool, so yeah, aim for heavy stuff.

...wait. I'm giving fashion advice? :smallconfused: >.>
>runs<

Fdl, if you keep talking about short skirts on school girls, you probably won't need my help :smallwink:

Ego Slayer
2007-08-08, 10:41 PM
^:Yup, and I've been meaning to get myself a pair of calf-highish boots... :smallcool:
*Wonders if she's gonna have enough spare money after buying a neew iPod....*

Cyrano
2007-08-08, 10:42 PM
^^ How do you know about boots? You have no legs.

Amotis
2007-08-08, 10:43 PM
^^ How do you know about boots? You have no legs.

Shoe on head.

Duh.

Ego Slayer
2007-08-08, 10:46 PM
Shoe on head.

Duh.
Hawt.

I think Serp is hiding something from us... she has legs, I know it.

Nomrom
2007-08-08, 10:46 PM
^:Yup, and I've been meaning to get myself a pair of calf-highish boots... :smallcool:
*Wonders if she's gonna have enough spare money after buying a neew iPod....*

I'm just like to mention that I love my iPod.

Cyrano
2007-08-08, 10:47 PM
Shoe on head.

Duh.

Of course, it's so simple! I should have seen that! I mean, hell, that's how I wear 7 shoes at once.

Ego Slayer
I'm just like to mention that I love my iPod.
Kind/capacity? I want to be jealous. :smalltongue:

SDF
Hawt.

Why couldn't she be the other kind of serpmaid, with the snake part on top and the girl part on bottom!

Nomrom
2007-08-08, 10:50 PM
Kind/capacity? I want to be jealous. :smalltongue:

It's a 30gig, black, video iPod. I got it the year it came out, so it was the first edition of the video ones.

Amotis
2007-08-08, 10:53 PM
Hawt.

It must be hard for cheesy open shirt'd 80's guys to hit on her.

Alpha Male: "So does that tail go all the way up? *sexy eyebrows*"

Serp: "Why, yes. It's connected to my body. You can see where it melds into my flesh."

Alpha Male: "..."

Serp: "..."

Bill Nye The Science Guy: BOW TIE! LULZ!"

*explosions*

*end credits*

Announcer: "We now return you to your regularly scheduled programing."

-ouse! But then the kittens ran all over and so we had to bust out the cuddle bats. Man oh man...we were cuddle batting until the sun came up. I'm so glad we stocked up on Red Bull.

Hell Puppi
2007-08-08, 10:54 PM
Of course, it's so simple! I should have seen that! I mean, hell, that's how I wear 7 shoes at once.

Your like an even freakier version of Zaphod?

Cyrano
2007-08-08, 10:56 PM
Your like an even freakier version of Zaphod?

Uh...no...two feet, two hands, one head, two undefined.

The Great Skenardo
2007-08-08, 10:57 PM
Uh...no...two feet, two hands, one head, two undefined.

o_-

Well, I know what Rex would say.

Ego Slayer
2007-08-08, 10:59 PM
o_-

Kinky. ;)

Yeah, that's right... I said it!

Amotis
2007-08-08, 11:00 PM
o_-

Feet bonuses don't stack but unnamed ones do?

Cyrano
2007-08-08, 11:00 PM
o_-

Well, luckily enough, Rex isn't here, because Rex doesn't like me.

And it ain't kinky!

^ Yes.

The Great Skenardo
2007-08-08, 11:01 PM
Feet bonuses don't stack but unnamed ones do?

Nah, that's what Fax would say.

Also, +3 points to you. :smallbiggrin:

SurlySeraph
2007-08-08, 11:02 PM
That reminds me. Where do you go to cash in Internet points?

Cyrano
2007-08-08, 11:04 PM

Here's a secret: They're useless! It's just like Cheers, or my life! There's no point.

Nomrom
2007-08-08, 11:06 PM
Go to the exchange center and have them converted to RL points. There will be a small fee. You can then convert them to your country's currency. Again there will be a fee. Unfortunately, the exchange centers can only be uncovered during a sole adventure of the greatest difficulty.

Amotis
2007-08-08, 11:07 PM

You get CP.

CONTROL PANEL! DUH! LULZ!

Seriously? They mean nothing. That's the truth of the internet. Like one of the noble truths of Nudism. Er...I mean Buddhism. Which is, the world is suffering. And the noble, err...I mean pr0nist, truths of the interbuttz is any self worth or congratulations does not matter.

Hell Puppi
2007-08-08, 11:12 PM
Blarg I say! Blarg!
My bf gets a 1-day notice that he has a 2-week training course...in san antinio. Which means not only has he been out in the field for 3 days, but I may possibly see him a few hours before he leaves for 2 weeks.
I'm going to be bored quite proper out of my skull. Luckily I have some art projects to work on.
Silly military.

Amotis
2007-08-08, 11:16 PM
Silly military.

GUNS ARE FOR KIDS!

Hell Puppi
2007-08-08, 11:19 PM
GUNS ARE FOR KIDS!

Considering some of the people I've seen wielding weapons....this seems like a good choice.

Serpentine
2007-08-08, 11:20 PM
It seems the time has come for me to divulge my (or you know, one of my) secrets...

The fairies gave me a magic ring that lets me turn my tail into legs as long as it remains on my finger. It lets me go to the ball with my prince up at the castle... and also wear rad boots.

The Great Skenardo
2007-08-08, 11:23 PM
It seems the time has come for me to divulge my (or you know, one of my) secrets...

The fairies gave me a magic ring that lets me turn my tail into legs as long as it remains on my finger. It lets me go to the ball with my prince up at the castle... and also wear rad boots.

I would pay good money to see a snakefolk do the M.C. Hammer Slide :smallbiggrin:

Dragonrider
2007-08-08, 11:25 PM
GUNS ARE FOR KIDS!

:smalltongue: Amotis gets more spastic every day. I don't know what he's on but it's gotta be pretty strong stuff. :smallamused:

Ego Slayer
2007-08-08, 11:29 PM
:smalltongue: Amotis gets more spastic every day. I don't know what he's on but it's gotta be pretty strong stuff. :smallamused:
Amotis is't on anything... he's like this naturally.:smallamused:

Dragonrider
2007-08-08, 11:31 PM
Amotis is't on anything... he's like this naturally.:smallamused:

:smalleek: It's not contagious, is it?

Hell Puppi
2007-08-08, 11:35 PM
:smalleek: It's not contagious, is it?

I hope so.

Nomrom
2007-08-08, 11:35 PM
If you're worried about catching craziness, this might be a bad place to be.

Hell Puppi
2007-08-08, 11:36 PM
If you're worried about catching craziness, this might be a bad place to be.

Indeed.

Man, I'm channeling Commodore Norrington!

Dragonrider
2007-08-08, 11:39 PM
Eh, any craziness I caught here would just be icing on my cake, which is already pretty well-frosted. Or maybe it's the chocolate shavings that go on top of the frosting. If I hang around here too much longer I'll get spun-sugar roses too. And maybe some extra layers.

:smallamused: and maybe I should drop the analogy now because the horse I'm beating is long-dead.

Hell Puppi
2007-08-08, 11:41 PM
Mmm...cake....
Sorry. I'm easily distracted by food.

Dragonrider
2007-08-08, 11:42 PM
Mmm...cake....
Sorry. I'm easily distracted by food.

:smallbiggrin: I just had three big slices of banana bread. I don't know why my mind is on cake, I'm stuffed.

Zeb The Troll
2007-08-08, 11:51 PM
Silly military.Hey now. It's the military that taught me how to read Amotis's sig (which I love, by the way).

Hell Puppi
2007-08-08, 11:54 PM
Hey now. It's the military that taught me how to read Amotis's sig (which I love, by the way).

Heh I'm saying nothing bad about them. Being a military brat and now in a relationship with a person who's in the military, it's been a part of my life for a long time. Doesn't mean I can't poke fun at it every once in a while =P.

SDF
2007-08-08, 11:57 PM
I just can't respect the military myself. The military punched my mom and stole my bike.

Dragonrider
2007-08-09, 12:03 AM
I just can't respect the military myself. The military punched my mom and stole my bike.

That's quite a lot to lay on such a large organization. :smalltongue:

Grim Greyscale
2007-08-09, 12:04 AM

Did they also punt a kitten?

Zeb The Troll
2007-08-09, 12:05 AM
That's quite a lot to lay on such a large organization. :smalltongue:Given the large number of military and former military people who frequent these boards and the possible backlash, I chose to assume that it was meant as a joke and nothing more.

SurlySeraph
2007-08-09, 12:08 AM
A joke? Request permission to laugh, sir!

Dragonrider
2007-08-09, 12:11 AM
Given the large number of military and former military people who frequent these boards and the possible backlash, I chose to assume that it was meant as a joke and nothing more.

:smalltongue: And it's ever so easy to communicate sarcasm on the internet.

(I was being facetous)

Logic
2007-08-09, 12:15 AM

Whu....?

But....?

:smalleek: :smallfrown:

*Tears roll down cheeks.*

Dragonrider
2007-08-09, 12:18 AM
Aww, don't cry....

*buys bandaid to stick on Logic's hurt feelings*
*and ice cream*
*ice cream is good*

Vonriel
2007-08-09, 12:25 AM
Oi, reminds of someone I once knew. She would hand out band-aids for everything, and I clearly recall seeing her place band-aids on someone who had been broken up with the night before. It was .. interesting, to say the least :smalltongue:

Dragonrider
2007-08-09, 12:30 AM
When I was little I used to pretend I was hurt just to get a bandaid. I loved bandaids. :smalltongue:

"Mom, it hurts!"
"I'm sorry."
"I need a bandaid!"
"But it's not bleeding, honey."
"But it hurts. It won't stop hurting unless you give me a bandaid."

Logic
2007-08-09, 12:42 AM
Aww, don't cry....

*buys bandaid to stick on Logic's hurt feelings*
*and ice cream*
*ice cream is good*

I could have used that band-aid 3 hours ago. (I cut open 3 fingers on sharp metal when changing a part.)

Oooh! Ice cream! I haven't had any of that for 2 months!

*Hugs Dragonrider*

phoenixineohp
2007-08-09, 03:32 AM
When I was little I used to pretend I was hurt just to get a bandaid. I loved bandaids. :smalltongue:

"Mom, it hurts!"
"I'm sorry."
"I need a bandaid!"
"But it's not bleeding, honey."
"But it hurts. It won't stop hurting unless you give me a bandaid."

Those kids drive me nuts at camp. Just like the ones who just have to see the doctor. Tiredus Feetus often got diagnosed.

^ Urk! Owww. You get a second bowl on the house just for that. Which works well as medicine, as you can ice your hand by holding the bowl.

I suggest a visit to Doctor Trog too. :smallwink:

Castaras
2007-08-09, 04:22 AM
Those kids drive me nuts at camp. Just like the ones who just have to see the doctor. Tiredus Feetus often got diagnosed.

I'm assuming that tiredus feetus is similar to dontwanttogotoschoolitis? :smallamused:

Hoggy
2007-08-09, 04:42 AM
I'm assuming that tiredus feetus is similar to dontwanttogotoschoolitis? :smallamused:

I suffer from that -all- the time.

phoenixineohp
2007-08-09, 04:42 AM
That is a very commonly occurring sister disease. That's for the donwannaitus genus. Sadly, that is one of the most prevalent diseases we face. And cases can become dormant and last through adulthood, though the symptoms are often camouflaged. :smallwink:

Archonic Energy
2007-08-09, 05:07 AM
i'm currently suffering from justonemorepressofthesnoozebuttonitus... that can lead to Needtogotolookforanewjobbecauseigotfireditus if you don't treat it.
treatment usually consists of a course of takeaholidaybeforeyouburnyourselfoutine though i hear smaller doses of mustbrowseGITPforumine an be used to counteract it but the course is longer :smallbiggrin:

Lord Herman
2007-08-09, 05:09 AM
The downside of mustbrowseGITPforumine is that it's highly addictive.

Castaras
2007-08-09, 06:47 AM
Very very true.

MustbrowseGITPforumine is a very powerful medicine, and it is not recommended to be taken at school or work, because otherwise the symptoms of angrybossus or angryteacherus might be seen, unless one is very careful...

Lianae
2007-08-09, 06:53 AM

I suffer from that -all- the time.

I don't have the choice, I live at school. On the other hand, I get to leave forever in less than 4 months!

Rawhide
2007-08-09, 06:58 AM
I don't have the choice, I live at school. On the other hand, I get to leave forever in less than 4 months!
That's what you think. *cough*uni*cough*

TheBoneSplitter
2007-08-09, 07:21 AM
On Topic: I'm pretty certain Hermitapea is somewhat common... or something that would classify the lone folk that still live at home. I don't know what it is officially called, but I tag either Hermititis or Hermitapea if Hermititis sounds too much like Hepatitis.

Off Topic: Small question, actually two... all of those Vote for (blank)'s in the playground... I made a signature for "Barbarian in the Playground", since that makes sense with my name... firstly, is that name and signature already taken by someone? Secondly, may I? I've even got it following the signature sizes and all, as noted in the newest signature rules thread stickied in Arts & Crafts.

Bonus edited in questions as I am belated and tardy: What is that all about... or is it just for fun? Are there threads related to these signatures or what?

T'ze'hai
2007-08-09, 07:21 AM
On the risk of sounding old:
School? :smallconfused:
What was that again? I wish I could have school again... falling asleep in classrooms was gooooood (while seated in the back :smallbiggrin: )
I only can have Idonwannagotowurktodayites nowadays... But my boss won't fall for that :smallfrown:

Ow and with my boyfriend I can always play the IdonfeelsogoodIjustwannahangarounditus :smallwink:

phoenixineohp
2007-08-09, 07:23 AM
That last one has a much easier to pronounce common name. Headache. :smallwink:

T'ze'hai
2007-08-09, 07:33 AM
NOnono
The IdonfeelsogoodIjustwannahangarounditus works great for getting attention and help, while headache just gives a frown...

Lord Herman
2007-08-09, 07:36 AM
Off Topic: Small question, actually two... all of those Vote for (blank)'s in the playground... I made a signature for "Barbarian in the Playground", since that makes sense with my name... firstly, is that name and signature already taken by someone? Secondly, may I? I've even got it following the signature sizes and all, as noted in the newest signature rules thread stickied in Arts & Crafts.

Bonus edited in questions as I am belated and tardy: What is that all about... or is it just for fun? Are there threads related to these signatures or what?

Those banners are for a contest I run on the SMBG forum. Basically, I pick a few categories (for example, it's monster types this time), and people get to vote for who they think fits the category best. The winners get a nifty sig image crafted by yours truly.

You can find the current contest here, and its discussion thread here.

Missing Shoe
2007-08-09, 07:42 AM
Heh, whenever my significant other would use the headache excuse on me I would always use it back against them at a later time.

Them: Hey can you come here a second and help me?
Me: Cant, headache.

Course, that could explain why I'm single...:smallbiggrin:

TheBoneSplitter
2007-08-09, 07:46 AM
Those banners are for a contest I run on the SMBG forum. Basically, I pick a few categories (for example, it's monster types this time), and people get to vote for who they think fits the category best. The winners get a nifty sig image crafted by yours truly.

You can find the current contest here, and its discussion thread here.

Aye, thank ye for the information. Looks like I won't use that signature picture anytime soon, even if it only does just say "Barbarian in the Playground". No worries necessary, I'll just make something else sometime in the future.

Thes Hunter
2007-08-09, 09:12 AM
I am currently suffering from thesiswritingprocrastitorum.

It's a very deadly and costly illness, and if I do not recover from it soon, it will linger in my system until December. :smallbiggrin:

Serpentine
2007-08-09, 09:17 AM
I think that can be cured with Thesshouldwritesomethingotherthanprocrastitorumex :smalltongue:

Archonic Energy
2007-08-09, 09:20 AM

It's a very deadly and costly illness, and if I do not recover from it soon, it will linger in my system until December. :smallbiggrin:

then i suppose you should not take any Newcomicine as it has been known to interfere with anti-thesiswritingprocrastitorum treatments, also see if you can get some Trogbeatsyouwithstickwhenyoudontworkine... it can be used to help, although in some cases it has been known to aid thesiswritingprocrastitorum. if this is the case we may have to think of more severe treatments such as getlockedinaroomwithanoninternetenabledPCtillworkd oneide.

Edit: Gorram it Serp-ninja *grumble*

Serpentine
2007-08-09, 09:24 AM
*howaaaaah... heeeeeeee aiiiiiiiii whaaaa* >other ninja-like noises, accompanied by cool poses<

Thes Hunter
2007-08-09, 09:41 AM
If I could cut off my internet it would be the way I would tackle this. I would hit Starsmucks or something, get a Crappacino and work away.

However, the internetz R essential, since my referencing software uses a web-based form.

Also, with everything I read, I find another paper I want to scan and reference. Blah. Being on the cutting edge can be such a pain sometimes. :smallbiggrin:

Ok, I am scooting and working. :smallbiggrin:

Korith
2007-08-09, 09:49 AM
*Plants a compulsion spell in this message to send Thes back to whatever she was working on, until it's finished*

And yes, cutting edge makes life far more complicated.

Rawhide
2007-08-09, 09:51 AM
What referencing software are you using? And what operating system?

Thes Hunter
2007-08-09, 09:59 AM
What referencing software are you using? And what operating system?

*ignores Korith's suggestion spell, gains a large bonus to will saves when procrastination is involved*

As for Rawhide's question, I am using this software/web based application:
http://www.refworks.com/

So I have to be logged into my school's VPN, and then use the internet to access the database they have of my references. Which is good.... and bad.

Good that I can keep going back to Pubmed, Scopus and Google scholar as I need to. Bad because I can keep going to the forums and LJ whenever I want to. :smallsmile:

phoenixineohp
2007-08-09, 10:03 AM
We use refworks too. Nice to have it download all the citation material needed, pain in the butt to get it to cite it in the right order. :smallannoyed:

What is your thesis on?

Korith
2007-08-09, 10:05 AM
*ignores Korith's suggestion spell, gains a large bonus to will saves when procrastination is involved*

Oh well, I tried.

*Goes back to procrastinating*

Rawhide
2007-08-09, 10:05 AM
Still wondering what operating system you are using, as there are other options for referencing.

Thes Hunter
2007-08-09, 10:11 AM
What is your thesis on?

Prepare to be Bored-ed:

Aldosterone has been characterized for more than 50 years as the primary mineralocorticoid for sodium re-absorption in the distal nephron and a major regulator in extracellular fluid volume and potassium homeostasis. Since then evidence has accumulated for aldosterone having genomic and non-genomic actions beyond the nephron, including effects on vascular smooth muscle tissue and cardiac remodeling{{54 SPACH,C. 1964; 48 Christ,M. 1995; 59 Christ,M. 1993; 106 Alzamora,R. 2000; 78 Qin,W. 2003; 107 Fejes-Toth,G. 2007; 94 Nagata,K. 2006; 6 Arima,S. 2006; 11 Uhrenholt,T.R. 2004; }}. Several years ago the RALES {{43 Pitt,B. 1999;}} and EPHESUS {{17 Pitt,B. 2003;}} clinical trials, showed mortality and morbidity decreased in patients given the aldosterone antagonists, spironolactone, and eplerenone respectively. Aldosterone blockade was first proposed as the mediating mechanism even though the antagonists were effective in cases of low plasma renin concentrations. Investigations into this phenomenon caused a paradigm shift that the Mineralocorticoid receptor (MR) antagonism was responsible for beneficial effects. A growing body of evidence has shown that occupancy of the MR by glucocorticoids, could be activated by oxidative stress{{78 Qin,W. 2003; 22 Chai,W. 2006; 26 Fuller,P.J. 2005; 72 Funder,J.W. 2006; 24 Hu,X. 2005; 94 Nagata,K. 2006; 80 Kuster,G.M. 2005; }}. This activation seems to play a role in cardiac hypertrophy by upregulating NADPH oxidase. Various oxidizing agents, have been well-established contributors to cardiac remodeling. The activated MR appears to upregulate NADPH oxidase, leading to a downward spiral of cardiac function.

Translated. Some hormone that they thought had only a limited effect in the kidney (to make sure we didn't lose too much salt and that helped us not dehydrate), actually turns out to be a major player in high blood pressure, and all sorts of heart disease.

For a while they didn't know why this was, my thesis is explaining in the gory detail scientists like, why this 'salt keeping' hormone (it's receptor really) has such an effect in making good hearts go bad.

Still wondering what operating system you are using, as there are other options for referencing.

OS X 10.3.9

We had a choice of Endnote and I think a couple of others. But I don't think I could have even gotten Endnote for free. And it's too late to switch horses mid-stream. Since I am on my second draft. :smallwink:

CurlyKitGirl
2007-08-09, 10:19 AM
...That is so confusing (partially) and full of really long words needed for your profession it has to be good. Hope it goes well, and is handed in mo time.

On a similar note: Brian May handed his thesis on a very obscure part of astrology in a few weeks ago. It was started 30 years ago. His job got in the way apparently.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-08-09, 10:23 AM
I love the new supernatural thread! WOOOO!!

Korith
2007-08-09, 10:26 AM
Brian May handed his thesis on a very obscure part of astrology in a few weeks ago.

Astrology, ie, using the stars' influence on human behaviour to make predictions of the future?

Or Astronomy: the study of stuff really far away from us?

phoenixineohp
2007-08-09, 10:27 AM
Thes, what is the degree or masters in?

CurlyKitGirl
2007-08-09, 10:30 AM
Astrology, ie, using the stars' influence on human behaviour to make predictions of the future?

Or Astronomy: the study of stuff really far away from us?

Astronomy. My mum was reading out some of those astrology fortunes for next week and I typed the wrong word.

Originally posted by Atreyu the Masked Llama
I love the new supernatural thread! WOOOO!!

Aww. Thanks, hopefully people will post there often with interesting stories.

Archonic Energy
2007-08-09, 10:38 AM
Thes, what is the degree or masters in?

i'd guess either a medical doctorate or biochemistry...

how close am i?

Skippy
2007-08-09, 10:39 AM
Has anyone noticed that "Astronomers" is an anagram for "no more stars"?

Saithis Bladewing
2007-08-09, 10:40 AM
Has anyone noticed that "Astronomers" is an anagram for "no more stars"?

Yes, but only because I read a page full of anagrams once. :P

Thes Hunter
2007-08-09, 10:45 AM
i'd guess either a medical doctorate or biochemistry...

how close am i?

Ah ha! Close!

But unfortunately for you, I have been waiting for you to get close enough for me to give you that arse kicking that you so rightly deserve for saying I only be famous for being Charity's alt.

*Thump-A*

Anyways, My masters degree is in Medical Physiology. It is a department within the medical school, and I even had to take some medical school classes for my degree.

Med students are such whiners, they have no more stress than anyone else with a rigorous course load, or who works lots of overtime. :smallwink:

Ego Slayer
2007-08-09, 11:00 AM
Wow, Thes... big words... stuff a can't even begin to understand... Awesome! :smalltongue:

Also, I thought today was Wednesday until I looked at the date on my computer, which tells me it's Thursday... Where in the Nine Hells did Wednesday go... have I not paid that much attention to the week?! :smalleek: :smallyuk:

Korith
2007-08-09, 11:13 AM
As an honourary Canadian, you probably took Monday (Civic Holiday) off. The "off by one" phenomenon lasts the rest of the week.

Ego Slayer
2007-08-09, 11:19 AM
As an honourary Canadian, you probably took Monday (Civic Holiday) off. The "off by one" phenomenon lasts the rest of the week.
Yeah, that must be why. :smalltongue:

Lord Herman
2007-08-09, 12:10 PM
The exact same thing happened to me. And I'm pretty sure I'm not a Canadian, not even an honourary one. I think someone stole our Wednesday!

CurlyKitGirl
2007-08-09, 12:14 PM
Same here. Thoought it was Friday. Turned out to be Thursday.

Alarra
I've had the same feeling all week. Since I am an honorary canadian, I'll roll with that reason.

Mr Croup
Yeah, it doesn't really feel like it should be Thursday to me either, but I'm alright with that, as Thursdays are game night for my group.

Would you believe that I've been sitting here for the last several minutes debating whether or not to post this comment, simply because it's my first foray into Random Banter. Hooray for killing time in the air conditioned comfort of my project trailer when I should theoretically be outside in the 99 degree heat (with a heat index of 102!) supervising something or another.

Ego Slayer
2007-08-09, 12:15 PM
Canada - in ur contriez stealin ur dayz.

They're really screwy with their spelling, too. Apparently, it's "honorary," and not "honourary." :smallconfused:

Damn Canadia! =P

Korith
2007-08-09, 12:17 PM
Canada: in ur contriez steelin ur u's

zombie chick
2007-08-09, 12:27 PM
i just got back from finland a day ago around midnight and with the 2 hours time difference im still trying to figure out what day it is:smalltongue:

CurlyKitGirl
2007-08-09, 12:45 PM
Aside from missing time:

My mum decided I wasn't doing anything with my holidays so she gave me a job:
Hoover the bathrrom lino;
Take up the lino and put it in the outhouse
Bleach. Every. Single. Surface. In. The. Room.

Seriously, walls(8), sink, toilet, sink, shower, I even did some of the ceiling! Even though I was wearing gloves it turned out that some bleachy-water had dripped inside the gloves; luckily it didn't do anything seriious. My eyes were burning, even after breaks every half hour or so, and I felt a bit dizzy. And the door and window was fully open too.
My brother got to paint a wall, outside in the sunshine.

To conclude: Parents+jobs around the house+summer holidays= evil and pain.

Cyrano
2007-08-09, 01:52 PM
Lemme guess, your brother is now addicted to paint fumes?
Your parents are eeee-vil!

SurlySeraph
2007-08-09, 02:18 PM
Aside from missing time:

My mum decided I wasn't doing anything with my holidays so she gave me a job:
Hoover the bathrrom lino;
Take up the lino and put it in the outhouse
Bleach. Every. Single. Surface. In. The. Room.

Seriously, walls(8), sink, toilet, sink, shower, I even did some of the ceiling! Even though I was wearing gloves it turned out that some bleachy-water had dripped inside the gloves; luckily it didn't do anything seriious. My eyes were burning, even after breaks every half hour or so, and I felt a bit dizzy. And the door and window was fully open too.
My brother got to paint a wall, outside in the sunshine.

To conclude: Parents+jobs around the house+summer holidays= evil and pain.

Pain is good for you! Hard, semi-useless work is good for you! But... during vacation? I sympathize. Though my mom is being more reasonable this summer, last summer I read 6 lengthy books for English, an existentialist play for French, and my entire chemistry textbook. Not to mention all the SAT prep I had to do. Look on the bright side, you're being useful and it builds character.

Thes Hunter
2007-08-09, 02:55 PM
Pain is good for you! Hard, semi-useless work is good for you! But... during vacation? I sympathize. Though my mom is being more reasonable this summer, last summer I read 6 lengthy books for English, an existentialist play for French, and my entire chemistry textbook. Not to mention all the SAT prep I had to do. Look on the bright side, you're being useful and it builds character.

Bah. Summer vacations are for playing too many video games, D&D, and walks in the woods.

What's up with these crazy ideas of being any sort of productive? :smallbiggrin:

Lord Herman
2007-08-09, 02:58 PM
Damn right. I don't need chores to build character. Four six-siders and a character sheet will do just as well, thank you very much.

Castaras
2007-08-09, 03:01 PM
Lets see...what have I been doing these holidays...

Going on the computer. More going on the computer. Eating. Sleeping. Looking after my brother while parents are at work. One time, I brought in the rubbish bins.

Hmm...I don't think I've done much work...:smalltongue: :smallamused:

Korith
2007-08-09, 03:10 PM
Damn right. I don't need chores to build character. Four six-siders and a character sheet will do just as well, thank you very much.

PENCIL! YOU FORGOT THE PENCIL!

Khaldan
2007-08-09, 03:17 PM
Bah, pencils dont go well for longevity. try pens.

B-Man
2007-08-09, 03:33 PM
But if you use pens for drawing, you better be very good and make no mistakes.

*looks at doodles from old school notes*

Wait a tick... my pen doodlings look ten times better than anything in my sketchbook! :smalleek:

Castaras
2007-08-09, 03:35 PM
Always the way of it...

I doodle over EVERYTHING that's school related. Got told off quite a few times, but meh. Others just ignore them. One teacher said they were awesome.

No school thinking! I'm on holiday! Back! *gets rid of school thoughts*

Vonriel
2007-08-09, 03:55 PM
Hmm, I really shouldn't complain, should I?

As for school, well, I can't complain about that either. You may ask why, and I'll be happy to preempt you and tell you! You see, I go to school two nights a week, which means there's absolutely no reason for me to complain about it when I have 3 weekdays and weekends off. :smallbiggrin:

FdL
2007-08-09, 04:21 PM
Oi, reminds of someone I once knew. She would hand out band-aids for everything, and I clearly recall seeing her place band-aids on someone who had been broken up with the night before. It was .. interesting, to say the least :smalltongue:

Hmmm, interesting. Where did she put it?

The downside of mustbrowseGITPforumine is that it's highly addictive.

Yes it is! :smalleek: Is there a cure for that?

Ow and with my boyfriend I can always play the IdonfeelsogoodIjustwannahangarounditus :smallwink:

Man, science should have solved that one by now :smallconfused: What is taking them so long? :p

Eldred
2007-08-09, 05:00 PM
Hmm, I really shouldn't complain, should I?

As for school, well, I can't complain about that either. You may ask why, and I'll be happy to preempt you and tell you! You see, I go to school two nights a week, which means there's absolutely no reason for me to complain about it when I have 3 weekdays and weekends off. :smallbiggrin:

Gah! But... why... that's not... fair...

*faints*

Ah well, I've got college soon. Atleast that has free periods.

I never was a doodler though. Only in math did boredominduceddoodleritus strike - my teacher was never pleased to see me or my book :smallbiggrin:

Thes Hunter
2007-08-09, 05:15 PM
Fun factoid of the day:

According to the NCHS, if all forms of major CVD were eliminated, life expectancy would rise by almost 7 years. If all forms of cancer were eliminated, the gain would be 3 years. According to the same study, the probability at birth of eventually dying from major CVD (I00–I78) is 47%, and the chance of dying from cancer is 22%. Additional probabilities are 3% for accidents, 2% for diabetes, and 0.7% for HIV.

*feels the need to go out jogging or something* :smallbiggrin:

Vonriel
2007-08-09, 05:17 PM
Err, CVD? Forgive my ignorance, but my usual acronym-analyzer is malfunctioning in the heat. Ahh, it just clicked into place. Cardio-vascular disease, no?

SDF
2007-08-09, 05:19 PM
Well diabetes and HIV won't directly kill you, but complications will. Which is too bad because ever diabetic complication is preventable after you get the disease.

Pyro
2007-08-09, 05:21 PM
Awww man, heart disease runs in my family. This only makes the outlook more bleak.:smallfrown:

B-Man
2007-08-09, 05:27 PM
My family (on my mum's side) has a long case of heart and high blood pressure problems. In fact, I believe my grandfather was one of the first patients to get open heart surgery in Canada. A shame I never got to meet him, me being born 8 years after his death due to heart failure.

Lord Herman
2007-08-09, 06:09 PM
*calculates*

That means 25.3% of all people die by being run over by a steamroller. Sounds plausible.

Vonriel
2007-08-09, 06:17 PM
So it was you who kept talking about steamrollers in the Rock/Paper/Scissors thread! Jeeze.

Ego Slayer
2007-08-09, 06:17 PM
*calculates*

That means 25.3% of all people die by being run over by a steamroller. Sounds plausible.
I won't be in that 25.3% because I'll be in a steamroller running people over.

Lord Herman
2007-08-09, 06:25 PM
So it was you who kept talking about steamrollers in the Rock/Paper/Scissors thread! Jeeze.

Although I'm perfectly capable of going on waaay to long about something like steamrollers, I seem to remember it was someone else. Not sure who, though.

I won't be in that 25.3% because I'll be in a steamroller running people over.

Ergo, people driving steamrollers are 33.9% more likely to die of cancer, CVD, accidents, diabetes and HIV.

SurlySeraph
2007-08-09, 06:42 PM
My family doesn't have much history of CVD or cancer, and I have good enough reflexes to avoid most steamrollers! Yay!

Though we do have a history of strokes and Parkinson's disease. Sigh.

Dragonrider
2007-08-09, 06:53 PM
Heart disease runs in my family as well...on my mom's side, until my grandfather's generation, not one man lived past the age of 65. Every single one died of a massive heart attack. My great-uncle had triple bypass surgery at age 51 and his two brothers went "Oh" and cracked down on their cholesterol.

The irony is that my grandfather's heart is now the healthiest part of him - he had prostate cancer 5 years ago, and then this spring some rare form of cancer that involved a 25-pound tumor in his belly. He's 64. He survived the surgery (four months ago), the first big step, but he's still only 140 pounds (he's 6'1") and the prognosis is about 4 years left for him even if he does regain some strength.

Anyway, at this point the heart disease is controllable, but that generation on my mom's side is full of people who've had cancer and if it IS genetic, then things don't look so good for us. :smalltongue:

Modern medicine...we just live too long, our bodies start breaking down....

SDF
2007-08-09, 06:54 PM
Somewhat useless fact:

Nicotine reduces your chances of getting Parkinson's disease.

I don't have to worry about getting diabetes >_> my mom had breast cancer, my paternal grandfather had colon cancer, and my uncle had testicular cancer. My maternal grandfather ended up having a quadruple bypass surgery, but it was due to a rare childhood illness he had. My maternal grandmother had every disease Mr. Burns had... I'm probably going to die 5 years ago.

Pyro
2007-08-09, 07:09 PM
Heart disease runs in my family as well...on my mom's side, until my grandfather's generation, not one man lived past the age of 65. Every single one died of a massive heart attack. My great-uncle had triple bypass surgery at age 51 and his two brothers went "Oh" and cracked down on their cholesterol.

Heart disease is also on my mothers side. My grandfather had a heart attack when he was twentysomething. Scary isn't it. Depression also runs in my family. I've got alot to look foward to.

Lilly
2007-08-09, 07:17 PM
Somewhat useless fact:

Nicotine reduces your chances of getting Parkinson's disease.

Rawhide has let me borrow Anti-Stupid Science Man. (http://www.galactanet.com/comic/369.htm) And I have this belt of gender change left over from Gender Bender week... :smallbiggrin: *click*

Anti-Stupid-Science Girl: The study that showed this had a very small sample size, and showed nothing more than a correlation between nicotine use and a slightly lower chance of getting parkinson's. It didn't control for other personality factors that come with nicotine use.

Needz more studiez plz.

Dragonrider
2007-08-09, 07:18 PM
Scrubbing bubbles

Well, we can't get into that here. :smalltongue:

Heart disease is also on my mothers side. My grandfather had a heart attack when he was twentysomething. Scary isn't it. Depression also runs in my family. I've got alot to look foward to

Yeah, my family has some depression as well. I think my aunt was suicidal...though I'm not sure because I only know what my mom has told me and that's not much.

I think everyone has problems in their family because modern medicine has made it possible for people to survive things that should've killed them. I shouldn't be here, I had appendicitis when I was twelve. But I never would have been born, anyway, because my mom was in an oxygen tent as an infant and should have died. Of course, she'd never have been born either, both her parents had appendicitis as teens too....

Wow. That's a seriously weird concept.

Edit: @Lilly: Yeah. He also didn't say what the percentage was - it could be a .5% variation in which case it probably doesn't make a difference anyway.

ZombieRockStar
2007-08-09, 07:20 PM
Related fact:

Breathing decreases your risk of asphyxiation but increases your risk of death due to airborne disease.

My family doesn't really have a history of any hereditary diseases, so all I can say is that at some point I'll probably die due to complications from a case of acute death.

Dragonrider
2007-08-09, 07:23 PM
OH MY GOD I have a blanket prediction to cover every single person on the form:

YOU ARE GOING TO DIE.

(cue various "fountain of youth" and "immortality" jokes :smalltongue:)

Ego Slayer
2007-08-09, 07:34 PM
OH MY GOD I have a blanket prediction to cover every single person on the form:

YOU ARE GOING TO DIE.
I decided I awhile ago that I am never going to die. I'm gonna turn 21, and say 21 until an asteroid hits the Earth or something.

Dragonrider
2007-08-09, 07:36 PM
I decided I awhile ago that I am never going to die. I'm gonna turn 21, and say 21 until an asteroid hits the Earth or something.

Ego, your willpower is incredible. Uncredible, actually. :smalltongue:

SDF
2007-08-09, 07:37 PM
Needz more studiez plz.

I found quite a few (http://www.forces.org/evidence/carol/carol36.htm) studies on the subject, with the Duke (http://www.scienceagogo.com/message_board5/messages/813.shtml) one being the most comprehensive. I don't think anyone is claiming smoking is good for you, just that nicotine has neuroprotective (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=17581257&ordinalpos=2&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsP anel.Pubmed_RVDocSum) properties, and has potential uses in treatment for Alzheimer's, and Parkinson's if the receptors can be identified.

FdL
2007-08-09, 07:42 PM

You can actually change reality by willpower alone, I guess. After all, it's a matter of perception. You will be 21 forever. And most of the time for me you look exactly like your current avatar.

Edit: Can I want to have the next RB? I feel like I'd achieve something if I got one, strange as it may sound.
Also, when last time there was this moment of uncertainty of who was going to do it, I actually made a try of quoting the first message to see how it was done. I didn't post then because I thought the person was going to appear eventually, not that was up for grabs. I'm cursed with awful timing.

Lilly
2007-08-09, 07:54 PM
I found quite a few (http://www.forces.org/evidence/carol/carol36.htm) studies on the subject, with the Duke (http://www.scienceagogo.com/message_board5/messages/813.shtml) one being the most comprehensive. I don't think anyone is claiming smoking is good for you, just that nicotine has neuroprotective (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=17581257&ordinalpos=2&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsP anel.Pubmed_RVDocSum) properties, and has potential uses in treatment for Alzheimer's, and Parkinson's if the receptors can be identified.

Might they be Nicotinic Actelycohline receptors?

Okay, I hadn't seen all those studies. Just one of those, don't even think it was the Duke one.

SMEE
2007-08-09, 08:10 PM
Edit: Can I want to have the next RB? I feel like I'd achieve something if I got one, strange as it may sound.
Also, when last time there was this moment of uncertainty of who was going to do it, I actually made a try of quoting the first message to see how it was done. I didn't post then because I thought the person was going to appear eventually, not that was up for grabs. I'm cursed with awful timing.

I was going to request the the next one for me due to it's number nature being quite related to Disk world, more specifically, the Color of magic.
But since you asked first, it would only be fair to give it to you. :smallsmile:
I think no one will have a problem with that. :smallsmile:

Rockphed
2007-08-09, 08:13 PM

We're only on page 25, let this one live before you start claiming the next one! But, sure. If you are around when this one hits page 50, you can start the next one. Is that rule still on the books? There are a couple 50+ page threads in the Gaming forum, so I am not sure. Actually, I can only think of one, and that one needs to be condensed and restarted. Too bad I am a lazy bum.

SDF
2007-08-09, 08:15 PM
Might they be Nicotinic Actelycohline receptors?

Iuno, I think it has something to do with isolating the things in the nicotine that help from those that do other things. So far my only chemistry lab experience is working on new kinds of antibiotics, and I've only read the Duke findings in full so I'm not 100% sure what they are trying to do.

Madmal
2007-08-09, 08:16 PM
hmmm..SMEE has remainded me i've just read 3 novels do far...

The colour of Magic
The Light Fantastic
Mort

FdL
2007-08-09, 08:22 PM
Oh, I'm not "calling dibs" on it yet, I was only expliciting my intention to do so when the time comes. Since most people here have had theirs, and seeing what happened last time when someone claimed it and didn't excercise his privilege, well, I wanted my to be known that I want it.

BTW, page 25 already??? It's amazing how fast these fill :p

Cyrano
2007-08-09, 08:28 PM
Fast? Back in MY day, a thread would fill up in a day or two, tops.
The sad part is, I think this is true. The REALLY sad part is I joined like, four or five months ago.

Jack Squat
2007-08-09, 08:37 PM
Fast? Back in MY day, a thread would fill up in a day or two, tops.
The sad part is, I think this is true. The REALLY sad part is I joined like, four or five months ago.

yeah, when you joined it was going a little fast; although I think the fastest was Gez's first one, which IIRC went by in 18 hours

Lucky
2007-08-09, 08:39 PM
yeah, when you joined it was going a little fast; although I think the fastest was Gez's first one, which IIRC went by in 18 hours

I don't remember which one it was, but I do recall the record being just over 16 hours.

Or 21 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12735)... Meh.

Cyrano
2007-08-09, 08:40 PM
God, that must have been wonderful. I mean, how on earth would you have been able to hold a topic? It would be unadulterated random!

SurlySeraph
2007-08-09, 08:43 PM
Sigh... those were the fish shoe fins bicycle actualize radii greenly.

Cyrano
2007-08-09, 08:46 PM
For the last (first) time! the Chaos Frog quote is not random if you quote it directly! You CAN'T be random if you follow any sort of structure, and a quote is precisely that structure. The order of this thread just went up, like, 3 gigabinaries. Srsly.

SurlySeraph
2007-08-09, 08:49 PM
I quoted it directly? I thought I was paraphrasing. Eh, sorry. Just me lawful tendencies what be a-coming out, even when I'm a-trying to be chaotic, don't you know.

Cyrano
2007-08-09, 08:52 PM
Well, the last part is direct, and, hell, we all know that I don't really listen to you guys anyway, right? [/Coxfakesmile]
But you are forgiven. Now go out and do stuff that may or may not have anything to do with the Church of Random's objectives! Now I want some pancake.

SDF
2007-08-09, 08:55 PM
All this Law/Chaos stuff is for chumps, and only scratches the underlying issue. Skub, and why anyone who opposes it should burn in every infinite layer of the Abyss, especially the ones that don't have fire, but especially the ones that do.

Cyrano
2007-08-09, 09:08 PM
I can take random. Hell, I'm random. I'm insane, too. But I can take random, and sociopaths, and schizophrenia and other insanities. But I cannot, no, will not take bad grammar, SDF! Shape up before I whine at you!

SDF
2007-08-09, 09:14 PM
I can take random. Hell, I'm random. I'm insane, too. But I can take random, and sociopaths, and schizophrenia and other insanities. But I cannot, no, will not take bad grammar, SDF! Shape up before I whine at you!

I don't see why I should Donny person, I have plenty of other things to not care about first.

Today I'm finally done with summer school! I finished my finals earlier today. Now I get to enjoy two weeks of time off before fall semester starts, I just might be working full time though...

Dragonrider
2007-08-09, 10:33 PM
Sweet!

I'm due to start two community college courses in September (creative writing in-classrom and American history online). Having been homeschooled my whole life, my only classroom experience has been drivers' ed last fall. Am a little nervous.

Added to the Physics and Calculus classes I'll be taking from a mathmatician friend of my parents', and the online Farsi I'm doing, this is a pretty heavy load for me, Little Miss Been-Unschooled-Her-Whole-Life. :smalltongue:

SDF
2007-08-09, 10:53 PM
Sweet!

I'm due to start two community college courses in September (creative writing in-classrom and American history online). Having been homeschooled my whole life, my only classroom experience has been drivers' ed last fall. Am a little nervous.

Added to the Physics and Calculus classes I'll be taking from a mathmatician friend of my parents', and the online Farsi I'm doing, this is a pretty heavy load for me, Little Miss Been-Unschooled-Her-Whole-Life. :smalltongue:

Farsi is really cool, I would love to learn it. I'm currently learning Arabic, which uses almost the same alphabet, and a similar grammar structure. I have to teach myself because the next Uni Arabic class I can take isn't taught until next year. I am taking a physics class sometime next year because several calc classes are required before I can take the one I need for my majors. I'm sure you will do well, most homeschoolers I know do. Ironically, I never took drivers ed when I learned to drive. :P

Dragonrider
2007-08-09, 11:00 PM
Farsi is really cool, I would love to learn it. I'm currently learning Arabic, which uses almost the same alphabet, and a similar grammar structure. I have to teach myself because the next Uni Arabic class I can take isn't taught until next year. I am taking a physics class sometime next year because several calc classes are required before I can take the one I need for my majors. I'm sure you will do well, most homeschoolers I know do. Ironically, I never took drivers ed when I learned to drive. :P

I was fully intending to not take it, but then I learned that insurance would be something like 18 dollars less PER MONTH if I did. So I took the stupid course. And trust me, it's not worth the money you pay...well, the driving part was, but with 6 hours in the car and 36 in a classroom reading a mind-numbing textbook and watching videos of people dying in car-train accidents...

Not the best time of my life.

(I think they do it that way on purpose...they soften your brain up with the most boring material they can find, and then while your guard is down, they shock it with these awful bloody videos of dying people. My mom calls it drivers'-ed-by-electroshock-therapy.)

Vonriel
2007-08-09, 11:02 PM
I gotta point out that those old threads, the ones that went by in 21 hours or so, were also half the length. Check 'em out some time. :smalltongue:

Skippy
2007-08-09, 11:17 PM
And I just wanted to point out (before a mod does it) that the bantering speed shouldn't be a matter of discussion...

Bantering speed... That sounds funny...

Cyrano
2007-08-09, 11:19 PM
Banterin' speed is not a matter of discussion. 'Tis a matter of personal pride or, in the case of THIS forum, great personal shame.
*sniff*

Anyway, I'm followin' my brothers footsteps. Namely, 22, no driving lessons. Fun.

Skippy
2007-08-09, 11:27 PM
I took lessons when I was 16, but then my mum hasn't let me borrow the car since then. My driving is nearly as bad as if I hadn't taken any lessons...

SDF
2007-08-09, 11:29 PM
I'm a lot better driver than most of the people around here. Most of the people around here should not have licenses, I don't understand how they pass in the first place. GAH! I really want to get the Lotus restored so I can learn stick.

Vonriel
2007-08-09, 11:30 PM
SDF, nobody actually thinks anyone else can drive. Seriously, just pay attention sometime. :smallsigh:

Cyrano
2007-08-09, 11:34 PM
Omg, Roland, you posted a link to these people and now I'm addicted. Jerk. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FArZxLj6DLk&NR=1)

Beaudoin
2007-08-09, 11:43 PM
SDF, nobody actually thinks anyone else can drive. Seriously, just pay attention sometime. :smallsigh:

Too, too true. When everyone else makes a driving mistake, they're terrible drivers and need to get off my road immediately. When I make a mistake, it's because I drive about 500 miles a week (Chinese restaurant driver), it was bound to happen SOMETIME, and it's not like I caused an accident. I'm a good driver, honest.