PDA

View Full Version : (Jake, keep out!) Need a "how do I do this"/"is this possible" answer

rrwoods
2017-06-20, 07:54 AM
(Deliberately vague title in case other players of this game see the thread title.)

I'm a player in a game, and the DM has asked for my help in resolving a conundrum. The direct question was "do you know of any item which obscures true seeing"? (Alignment also but that part is easier.) I mentioned the "put stuff that's really there" mundane solution; it doesn't see through hide checks, etc. But he's looking specifically to not have a polymorph/Alternate Form ability be noticed. I do not know what one might use to accomplish this, if it's even possible. So I come to the playground:

How can a character protect their identity from being discovered through true seeing effects while they are polymorphed or in an Alternate Form?

Gildedragon
2017-06-20, 08:08 AM
Yes.
A Mask of the Misplaced Aura (Sharn: City of Towers, 170) will show a predetermined false persona when targeted with True Seeing

Kaleph
2017-06-20, 08:12 AM
The first trick that comes to mind is to use the insidious magic feat - it forces a caster level check to properly use true seeing. Unfortunately, insidious magic doesn't extend to alter self/polymorph effects, since they are from the Transmutation school, so you should combine it with an illusion spell (disguise self).

I'd also rule that nondetection works, although it's tailored around scrying or similar effects, since it actively protects from divinations (no type mentioned).

Zanos
2017-06-20, 11:10 AM
Anything that provides mind blank or immunity to divinations should work.

If you have access to City of Stormreach there's a days per level spell called cloak of khyber in there. I think it attunes to a specific form over six hours, but it prevents anyone from seeing through it with magic, specifically including true seeing.

rrwoods
2017-06-20, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the answers folks!

To be clear, does a mind blank effect protect from seeing a polymorphed creature's true form? It seems a tad odd, just want to be sure.

Wasn't aware of the specifically "conceal the fake identity" items, mostly because I'm just not familiar with those sources. I'll have him give those a look.

Bronk
2017-06-20, 01:46 PM
You could also use Dust of Disappearance...

http://rpgb.nobl.ca/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.php#dustofDisappearance

...in conjunction with an illusion that shows what you want to be seen.

Or, just use an 'invisible spell' metamagic illusion to cover your new form, so that True Seeing will just reveal that illusion and not what's underneath.

Crake
2017-06-20, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the answers folks!

To be clear, does a mind blank effect protect from seeing a polymorphed creature's true form? It seems a tad odd, just want to be sure.

Wasn't aware of the specifically "conceal the fake identity" items, mostly because I'm just not familiar with those sources. I'll have him give those a look.

It's a frequently debated topic on the forums here. One side is that Mind blank makes you immune to divinations, thus immune to true seeing, the other side is that true seeing targets the caster, and not the person who is mind blanked, so mind blank does not protect you, since you are not being affected by the divination. This applies to all anti-divination spells, including things like nondetection and whatnot. Which side you play on is entirely up to your DM.

Cloak of khyber is probably your best bet, if you can get your DM to allow campaign setting material

Waker
2017-06-20, 04:32 PM
Its a niche solution, but in Dragon #326 there is a rogue special ability called Facade. What it does is that whenever you make a disguise check, if someone using divination magic on you to find out info they need to make a Spot vs your Disguise check. If they fail, they get data that confirms whatever you disguise says you are. The example they give is a rogue dressed as a zombie radiating an evil aura, showing up under detect undead and showing no thoughts for detect thoughts.
Alter Self says
You can freely designate the new form’s minor physical qualities (such as hair color, hair texture, and skin color) within the normal ranges for a creature of that kind. The new form’s significant physical qualities (such as height, weight, and gender) are also under your control, but they must fall within the norms for the new form’s kind. You are effectively disguised as an average member of the new form’s race. If you use this spell to create a disguise, you get a +10 bonus on your Disguise check.
Polymorph reads
This spell functions like alter self, except that you change the willing subject into another form of living creature.
So if you have a character or creature who uses facade and then transforms into something else, opposed casters need to make a Spot check (which most would not have) against your Disguise checks. Like I said, its niche, but your DM might get some use out of it.