PDA

View Full Version : Dresden Files Support Group

FoE
2007-08-04, 11:35 PM
Face of Evil pulls himself to the podium, looking upon the assembled rows of people with yellow glinting eyes. He sighs and says, "Hello, my name is Face of Evil, and I'm a little bummed about hearing the Dresden Files got cancelled."

The crowd responds in unison: "Hi Face of Evil. Please don't devour our souls."

Face of Evil cracks a brief smile. "Hi everybody. As you are no doubt aware, the Dresden Files was a drama/fantasy/horror TV series that appeared on the Sci Fi Channel in the U.S. and on the Space Channel in Canada. Based on a series of novels by Jim Butcher, it chronicled the adventures of a private eye/wizard named Harry Dresden."

"Harry began exhibiting magic powers when he was young and decided to use them for good. After being trained in sorcery, he murdered his evil uncle and became a detective. During the series' run, Harry came up against a variety of vampires, demons, necromancers and evil spirits; although the show had elements of fantasy and horror, the plots were told in a pulp fiction style reminiscent of old detective stories."

"It wasn't the best show — the special effects stunk — but it was witty, well-written and very well-acted. I enjoyed it. Sadly, the execs at the Sci-Fi Channel, the scoundrels who also cancelled Stargate SG-1 and yet somehow gave the greenlight to Painkiller Jane, decided to cancel it last week. So, I am a little bummed, especially since it had been rumoured that the show might move to Edmonton, which is near to where I reside. That would have been cool."

This thread is for anyone who is a little sad to hear the Dresden Files got cancelled. There is no judgement here, friends; come and share your pain. Anything to help with the mourning process.

Druid_lord
2007-08-05, 09:48 AM
it was pretty good, but they butcherd the unviverse. NO beetle, making murphy a burnette, nutchering the courts, bob as a human ghost, how werewolves work, bianca being his friend, and much much more.

Otterella
2007-08-05, 01:11 PM
I'm mad. I'm sad. I'm very disappointed. I was really looking forward to a second season. Harry Dresden, you will be missed!!

Orzel
2007-08-05, 01:25 PM
I'm upset. Very Upset. I liked it despite the slight butchering.

FoE
2007-08-05, 02:04 PM
See, I discovered the TV series before I even heard of the books. So I was OK with any butchering, because I didn't know better.

What bugs me is that the show got reasonably good ratings and lasted until the end of the season. I don't know what's up with the Sci-Fi channel these days. They're showing wrestling, fer God's sake! (Sorry Mods, but I think the G word's appropriate here.)

Pwenet
2007-08-05, 03:27 PM
Sadly cries a little as he places Dresden Files into the same category of cool shows killed before their time:
Farscape
Stargate SG-1
Invisible Man

I also join the crowd that watched the show before reading the books, but the show got me to buy the 1st book. After about 1/2 way through the 1st book I went out and bought several more, and since then have bought them all and read. I like the books a little better, but I thought the series was a good homage to the books.

I agree that while it was not the best, it had its charm and I would have enjoyed a Season 2.

In any case, the Sci-Fi channel only redeeming value is Battlestar Galactica (With Season 4 being the last season, which considering Sci-Fi channel track record is probably a really wise move), Stargate Atlantis (who knows how long that will last), Eureka (will not be surprised if they cancel this for no obvious reason), and Doctor Who (since they only AIR on sci-fi and not produced by them, should be safe).

And yet what do they replace good shows with? Who Wants to be a Superhero? Wrestling? They are almost as bad as Fox.

Not to mention they messed around with the airing of the episodes, showing them out of sequence of what the produces intended.

I raise my current drink in a sad salute to this sad day.

FoE
2007-08-05, 03:51 PM
But oh, at least they gave the greenlight to more Masters of Horror episodes instead of the Dresden Files! Because God knows Hollywood isn't putting out horror movies anymore these days! :smallmad:

Yeah, I keep waiting for the axe to drop on Stargate: Atlantis too. I can practically envision a swinging blade over the head of John Sheppard and the rest. The execs at Sci-Fi are just waiting for the stars to align properly, which should occur around some major milestone of the show like the 200th episode. Preferably, a major cliffhanger will be involved. Maybe they'll replace it with some Jerry Springer. :smallannoyed:

I never got into Battlestar Galactica (I missed the movies and only caught a few episodes of the first season) or Eureka (caught the season premiere, didn't keep with it), so if Atlantis goes, I will have virtually no reason to watch any of Sci-Fi's crap. (At least I can watch Doctor Who on CBC, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation.)

I miss Farscape too, but in retrospect, Farscape was too weird to live a long and happy life on TV. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. At least we got a better conclusion to the story than having John and Erin vaporized.

Pwenet
2007-08-05, 04:08 PM
I miss Farscape too, but in retrospect, Farscape was too weird to live a long and happy life on TV. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. At least we got a better conclusion to the story than having John and Erin vaporized.

It was doing good enough to earn a decent number of awards, and up until the end of Season 4 they thought there would be a Season 5 which was to have been the last.

Instead at the last possible second they decided to can it after Season 4 footage was completed, leaving it at the cliffhanger.

But yeah, Sci-Fi channel barely lives up to its name anymore.

FoE
2007-08-05, 07:04 PM
You've seen the Peacekeeper Wars mini-series, right? That's what I mean with the better ending; the story continued after John and Erin were vaporized.

Wait, how did this become a Farscape thread?

North
2007-08-05, 07:09 PM
It..... was ....... canceled................

:smallfrown:

Da-shiong bao-jah-shr duh la-doo-tze!

Thiel
2007-08-05, 07:39 PM
It..... was ....... canceled................

:smallfrown:

Da-shiong bao-jah-shr duh la-doo-tze!

The explosive diarrhea of an elephant!

Someone's been watching Firefly:smallamused:

Pwenet
2007-08-05, 09:54 PM
You've seen the Peacekeeper Wars mini-series, right? That's what I mean with the better ending; the story continued after John and Erin were vaporized.

Wait, how did this become a Farscape thread?

Yeah I did, but would have preferred a season 5 over a miniseries.

Okay - Back to Dresden Files people!

FoE
2007-08-05, 09:58 PM
I think North is particularly devastated because he also lives in Edmonton, and the Dresden Files were rumoured to start filming there. Sorry buddy.

LordShaper
2007-08-07, 06:46 AM
I love the book series, let me start by saying that. But I also liked the tv series, even though it dropped a lot of things from the books regarding Harry's backstory and the supporting cast. If they did a faithful translation, well that would have been the greatest thing in the world but that never happens and I know this and I'm not bothered by it as long as there are no gaping holes in the story or the plot.
People on the official Butcher board complained about a lot of things before the series even aired, but as it turned out, the series wasn't bad. It was good and it was quirky and it had it's moments of funny or charm, but IMHO, they could have done better.
I'm not talking about Harry's staff, I actually liked that it was a hockey stick, it sounded goofy to me when I heard about it but when I saw it, it actually worked for me. The blasting rod (called wand in the series) being a drummer's stick? It was okay. Bob being a ghost of a dead sorcerer? I actually don't care if they made Bob a genie in the bottle, as long as he spouted snide remarks, which he did:smallsmile: Murphy a brunette with a child? I was fine with that, personally I liked this Murphy as much as I like Murphy in the books, perhaps this one even a bit more since she wasn't nearly as stubborn as book-Murphy can be.
What bothered me was the fact that the show had great potential to be a dark fantasy for mature audiences and it turned into something that during the course of every episode veered from barely R to PG-13 and back. It looked to me like they couldn't make up their mind at times and in that way it is similar to Torchwood, which also tried to be both dark, sexy and gritty AND weird and quirky at the same time, giving and end result that confuses the viewers as to the tone of the series.
I'm not bashing the series, absolutely not. With the exception of Storm Front (which is a horrible episode) all other episodes were interesting and definitely not boring. But I wanted Harry to use magic a little bit more than he did, to make use of his wand and staff a little bit more than he did (and personally, the whole thing about the staff being knocked out of his hands every time he tries to use it was as irritating as the gun being knocked from Indiana Jones' hands wasn't) and I wanted it to be a little more immersed in the mythology of the book universe than in the end turned out to be.
I love Harry and I loved the show and I'd be very glad if they did a second season, but also I'd give it 3/5 only.

StickMan
2007-08-07, 08:49 AM
I hate Sci fi they are almost as bad as fox. They make good shows and crapy movies. When you have one good thing you should put your money in it and not the bad ones. Sci fi stop making crap movies and put that money in your TV shows. Dresden Files was a great show have not read the books but I plan to. I loved that his staff was a hockey stick and the wand was a drum stick.

LordShaper
2007-08-07, 09:29 AM
I agree about the great shows and crappy movies:smallsmile:

But regarding Stargate SG-1...I love the show, but there comes a point when it's really time to stop. Ten great seasons full of action and plot...I guess it's just like with great parties, you should leave before they go sour......but of course, that doesn't give you (the network I mean) the right to end the show on a cliffhanger:smallfurious: (John Doe)or kill it midseason(Firefly)...

Gnorosch
2007-08-07, 10:05 AM
The TV show might be lost - but the RPG is not! Create your own Dresden File's adventures with the Dresden Files Roleplaying Game (http://www.dresdenfilesrpg.com/)! (Be so kind to fill their survey if you are a fan of the novels)

I am truly looking forward to this game, even though I am not such a big fan of the novels (and have not even seen the series yet). But the game looks promising, the company already did very good games and the authors are big fans of the novels themselves and are counselled by Jim Butcher for getting the theme right. I think that sounds promising.

Tamburlaine
2007-08-07, 04:57 PM
Damn network executives!:furious:
Read and loved the books, but never got around to the tv series. Still, i lament its loss.

Malic
2007-08-07, 11:38 PM
I will miss the show alot. Aww well there's always Eureka and The 4400 to keep me entertained over the Summer.

Inyssius Tor
2007-08-10, 08:24 PM
Ah well. The first episode left me practically apoplectic, but I grew to love the adaptations; I could even see some trace of character development by the end. At least Eureka isn't gone yet...

Gavin Sage
2007-08-10, 08:38 PM
I'm a big fan of the books but I think I watched maybe three episodes of the TV series. It left me underwhelmed and never caught me the way the books do. So I'm not particularly sad to see it go, though it does leave me wondering what are they showing on Sci-Fi? You can't run a network on Heroes re-runs and bad movies. Okay you can but when your target demographic is the most persnickety and demanding out there, why do it?