PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Help With Melee Control Character

Drathmar
2017-06-20, 09:57 AM
So the other day I had an idea for a character concept. In-game wise he's a guy who danced through combat causing disarray and distraction among enemies. Mechanically I was thinking of a basis being using booming blade as a kind of light cantrip CC and then focusing on other heavier CC when needed.

For the basic idea I am thinking it needs at least Rogue 2 (and either grab BB by sun elf/hall-sun elf) to be able to use BB and disengage as a bonus action. I was possibly thinking of Rogue 3 and Swashbuckler so you can hit, move away and use BA to Dash if need more movement.

However I know I don't want pure rogue (at least I don't think so) as they really don't get a lot of other CC options, at least I don't think arcane trickster does as they have ot use mostly illusion and enchantment spells which I guess might work but isn't quite what I am looking for.

So I was curious what would multiclass best with this to create this concept. I had a couple ideas for either Rogue 2 or 3/Sorcerer 17-18, as being able to twin BB makes the base of the concept better plus they get some decent options early levels in color spray (replaced later), fog cloud, thunderwave kinda counts with the push back, web.

Another idea was going with a warlock, as they get the invocation to push people with EB, so you have movement manipulation at both ranged and melee, plus they get some decent AoE crowd control effects with arms of hadar, darkness, hold person, etc.

Another idea is to go with a cleric as they get one of the best AoE CC effects eventually with spirit guardians, plus also get, but don't seem to get much else.

Last idea was a wizard with abjuration or bladesinger style to help survive in the melee and obviously a lot of the wizard spells can be used for CC/Sowing disarray and confusion.

Anyone played this type of character and have some tips on which would be most effective, or ideas I haven't thought of? I do realize a pure ranged wizard is probably one of the best CC wizards from a pure optimization standpoint but wanted to do it in a way that was different but still effective.

Sans.
2017-06-20, 11:36 AM
Fighter, 5 levels for Extra Attack, maybe one more for an extra feat, Battlemaster for a list of maneuvers perfect for your concept.

Potato_Priest
2017-06-20, 09:06 PM
So the other day I had an idea for a character concept. In-game wise he's a guy who danced through combat causing disarray and distraction among enemies.

Monk is perfect for dancing through crowds and laying in some crowd control with stunning strike. It's practically what monks were built to do. If you take the mobile feat you'll easily be able to move around and get your bonus action attacks in.

Because of this, I'd start by going to level 5 in monk (open hand for trips and pushing as extra CC options. They're not as good as a stun but are significantly cheaper) Take mobile as your level 4 feat.

90sMusic
2017-06-21, 01:19 AM
Whenever I want a character with a lot of control in melee, I usually play a druid.

Wild Shape into a constrictor snake and automatically grapple/restrain on successful attack roll.
Can also turn into frogs that can swallow people whole, which is always a lot of fun and leads to some interesting questions from the party you eat someone alive.

Aside from that, Barbarian rage is advantage on those athletics checks to grapple folks so...
Then there is the shield master feat that you can use to knock people prone as a bonus action. So most of the time you'll end up with advantage on all your melee attacks and giving advantage to your allies. Also drastically reduces their ability to move.

CaptainSarathai
2017-06-21, 01:44 AM
A VHuman with Mobile totally negates the need for Rogue levels. If you attack the enemy, you can move away without provoking.
Spell Sniper and a Reach Weapon would also work, for sure. Increasing the range of your BBlade out to 10'. Now you don't have to move within range of enemy OAs to deliver your hits.
Another advantage to using a Reach Weapon is that you can snag Polearm Master in order to help impose OAs over a greater area, helping to further lock down movement options for your enemies.

The last idea is one that I think is fairly under-utilized in the community, and that is willingly triggering OAs from the enemy, in order to utilize things like Armor of Agathys, Hellish Rebuke, Wrath of the Storm, or Riposte.

Drathmar
2017-06-21, 06:40 AM
Fighter, 5 levels for Extra Attack, maybe one more for an extra feat, Battlemaster for a list of maneuvers perfect for your concept.

Not a bad idea, battlemaster is decent. I did want something that could CC at will (even if it's only mediocre like with BB that only puts a penalty on movement not restricts it) and extra attack kinda clashes with BB as well for the at-will CC option which is what I was looking for... something that has an at will CC (even if BB isn't great in that it just penalized movement instead of stopping it) as well as more drastic resource spending CC options as well.

Monk is perfect for dancing through crowds and laying in some crowd control with stunning strike. It's practically what monks were built to do. If you take the mobile feat you'll easily be able to move around and get your bonus action attacks in.

Because of this, I'd start by going to level 5 in monk (open hand for trips and pushing as extra CC options. They're not as good as a stun but are significantly cheaper) Take mobile as your level 4 feat.

Monk is another good one as open hand. Problem is that it still takes Ki-Points to CC (either flurry of blows to use open hand, or ki points for stunning strike. High Elf with BB could work but it doesn't really synergize well as flurry requires the attack action and stunning strike basically counters BB itself.

Whenever I want a character with a lot of control in melee, I usually play a druid.

Wild Shape into a constrictor snake and automatically grapple/restrain on successful attack roll.
Can also turn into frogs that can swallow people whole, which is always a lot of fun and leads to some interesting questions from the party you eat someone alive.

Aside from that, Barbarian rage is advantage on those athletics checks to grapple folks so...
Then there is the shield master feat that you can use to knock people prone as a bonus action. So most of the time you'll end up with advantage on all your melee attacks and giving advantage to your allies. Also drastically reduces their ability to move.

Hmm both of those are interesting. I did completely forget about grappling which is honestly a better at will CC than BB since it actually restricts movement or uses an action. Neither necessarily fit the concept of a battle-dancer sowing confusion but both are definitely worth considering. I might have to change the characters personality and such but could be fun to do.

A VHuman with Mobile totally negates the need for Rogue levels. If you attack the enemy, you can move away without provoking.
Spell Sniper and a Reach Weapon would also work, for sure. Increasing the range of your BBlade out to 10'. Now you don't have to move within range of enemy OAs to deliver your hits.
Another advantage to using a Reach Weapon is that you can snag Polearm Master in order to help impose OAs over a greater area, helping to further lock down movement options for your enemies.

The last idea is one that I think is fairly under-utilized in the community, and that is willingly triggering OAs from the enemy, in order to utilize things like Armor of Agathys, Hellish Rebuke, Wrath of the Storm, or Riposte.

I do like the mobility feat, I do know variant human isn't allows for the campaign though but we start at lvl 3 so I could just play 1 level without it. I really like the spell sniper idea though. Hmm maybe go Fighter 1/Sorcerer X with it, would also double the range of twinned BB. I know it's MAD but from rolled stats I have enough for it (16,16,15,14,12,12) to work and being 1 level behind on spells isn't a huge deal.

Also if anyone else has idea's it would be appreciated. The character is basically a thief who pretends to be nobles or other wealthy people in order to steal money or get what he needs (inspired by Locke Lamora but didn't want to copy that character exactly) and when he has to fight he prefers to weave in and out of combat and cause confusion rather than stand to toe with enemies. Would also prefer him to have some magic but that isn't necessary.

Khrysaes
2017-06-21, 07:24 AM
In UA there are some things that may interest you.

College of Satire bard, gets a bonus action Dash AND Disengage at the same time.

Scout Rogue can run away if anything ends their turn next to them without provoking attacks of opportunity.

College of Blades Bard has some interesting things.

Spell Less Ranger 2 gets 2 maneuvers and 4 superiority dice, and that can add a bit more gas to a Battle master fighter. Go a bit longer without short rests.

Then there is the definitely not accepted, Tunnel master + Vengeance paladin 7 + polearm master + sentinal. Anytime anyone gets close, hit them, stop them, walk away.

polymphus
2017-06-21, 07:42 AM
Yeah Open Fist Monk could be super good at this. Make sure to grab the Mobile feat, maybe Magic Initiate to snap up some cantrips like Booming Blade.

Alt take: Shadow Monk 17/Arcane Trickster 3. Same feats. There's nowhere on a given battlefield you can't go, and your shadow abilities give you some amazing lockdown. Once you figure out the movement stuff, you're pretty much impossible to pin down.

Drathmar
2017-06-21, 08:29 AM
In UA there are some things that may interest you.

College of Satire bard, gets a bonus action Dash AND Disengage at the same time.

Scout Rogue can run away if anything ends their turn next to them without provoking attacks of opportunity.

College of Blades Bard has some interesting things.

Spell Less Ranger 2 gets 2 maneuvers and 4 superiority dice, and that can add a bit more gas to a Battle master fighter. Go a bit longer without short rests.

Then there is the definitely not accepted, Tunnel master + Vengeance paladin 7 + polearm master + sentinal. Anytime anyone gets close, hit them, stop them, walk away.

Those do sound really interesting, I will have to save this for future use. Unfortunately this campaign is published materials only.

Yeah Open Fist Monk could be super good at this. Make sure to grab the Mobile feat, maybe Magic Initiate to snap up some cantrips like Booming Blade.

Alt take: Shadow Monk 17/Arcane Trickster 3. Same feats. There's nowhere on a given battlefield you can't go, and your shadow abilities give you some amazing lockdown. Once you figure out the movement stuff, you're pretty much impossible to pin down.

This actually sounds like a really fun build. Hmm, I could start arcane trickster 3 then go monk. Using a SS since it's a monk weapon and finesse so usable for sneak attack. The only issue I see with it is BB doesn't play well with flurry of blows or stunning strike, but still usable when out of Ki. Can definitely see him using darkness, illusions and enchantments to confuse the enemy while teleporting and running around.

Hmm im actually now torn between going with the Shadow Monk / Arcane Trickster as above, a Swashbuckler 3/Wild Sorcerer 17 (seems to fit the best flavor wise and could be fun), or a Fighter 1/Sorcerer 19 (seems really strong Vhuman starting with spell sniper, then picking up pole-arm master at CL 5 (sorc 4) and sentinel at CL 9, but not sure if it fits thematically.