PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A D&D 3.5 How Does Timeless Body Work?

ColorBlindNinja
2017-06-20, 10:17 AM
Timeless Body (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/timelessBody.htm) has a line that says that you ignore all beneficial effects for the power's duration.

What exactly does this mean? Cure Light does nothing; that's pretty obvious. But what if I used Synchronicity? Do I get to take my action or do I ignore that because it's "helpful"? Can I walk through a Gate spell to another plane?

Does Timeless Body's effect count as an immunity that I can suppress?

I eagerly await your responses.

Necroticplague
2017-06-20, 12:00 PM
What exactly does this mean? Cure Light does nothing; that's pretty obvious. But what if I used Synchronicity? Do I get to take my action or do I ignore that because it's "helpful"? Can I walk through a Gate spell to another plane?
Synchronicity would have to affect you to give you the extra action. Since your invulnerable to all effects, it can't, so it doesn't. Nothing can affect you, good or bad.

Does Timeless Body's effect count as an immunity that I can suppress?
No.

ColorBlindNinja
2017-06-20, 12:26 PM
Synchronicity would have to affect you to give you the extra action. Since your invulnerable to all effects, it can't, so it doesn't. Nothing can affect you, good or bad.

What about neutral effects? What about preexisting buffs?

No.

Ah well. I didn't think that would be the case.

Tainted_Scholar
2017-06-20, 12:31 PM
You could probably walk through a Gate because that's not an "effect" on you, it's like walking through a door. You couldn't be Teleported or Planeshifted though.

ColorBlindNinja
2017-06-20, 12:33 PM
You could probably walk through a Gate because that's not an "effect" on you, it's like walking through a door. You couldn't be Teleported or Planeshifted though.

That sounds reasonable. The real issue is that "effect" is really broad.

Necroticplague
2017-06-20, 01:18 PM
What about neutral effects?
What do you mean by a neutral effect? Either something does something good to you, or it does something bad to you. If it does nothing to you, why's it matter? Even if something does both good and bad things to you, that just makes it harmful and helpful.

What about preexisting buffs?
You ignore them.

ColorBlindNinja
2017-06-20, 01:22 PM
What do you mean by a neutral effect? Either something does something good to you, or it does something bad to you. If it does nothing to you, why's it matter? Even if something does both good and bad things to you, that just makes it harmful and helpful.

An effect can be neither good or bad. Changing my clothes from white to beige seems pretty neutral to me.

You ignore them.

OK.

Tainted_Scholar
2017-06-20, 01:23 PM
What if an effect was initially neutral, but latter became harmful/helpful do to changing circumstances?

ColorBlindNinja
2017-06-20, 01:28 PM
What if an effect was initially neutral, but latter became harmful/helpful do to changing circumstances?

I guess when it stopped being neutral, you'd ignore it?

Why Expanded Psionics! Why?! You were mostly well-written, too! :smallfrown:

Florian
2017-06-20, 01:46 PM
You cease to be a target for effects and you can´t voluntarily change that.

Now it´s good that they didn't add neutral, else we´d have to talk about things like natural gravity or precessing oxygen, too.

ColorBlindNinja
2017-06-20, 01:50 PM
You cease to be a target for effects and you can´t voluntarily change that.

The text doesn't say anything like that. Just that you "ignore" helpful and harmful effects.

Now it´s good that they didn't add neutral, else we´d have to talk about things like natural gravity or precessing oxygen, too.

I agree. Thankfully, not being able to breathe would be pretty harmful.

Florian
2017-06-20, 02:19 PM
The text doesn't say anything like that. Just that you "ignore" helpful and harmful effects.

You´re now under the effect of the timeless planar trait. Your own logic.

Tainted_Scholar
2017-06-20, 02:27 PM
You´re now under the effect of the timeless planar trait. Your own logic.

What are you talking about?