PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Creating a Summon-Wizard... Without the Outer Planes

Ninjaxenomorph
2017-06-20, 11:24 AM
I'm playing in a campaign right now in a setting where most of the Outer Planes are cut off and inaccessible. That means no heaven, no hell, and none of the aligned outsiders, with the sole exception of Psychopomps. I want to try my hand at playing a god-wizard (mostly to prove first-hand that the most unbalanced book in the game is the Core Rulebook), and as secondary, using the character as a proof-of-concept that summoning in the world IS possible. I just... don't know how to go about that.

Since most fey on the Summon Monster list aren't present either, and Celestial/Fiendish creatures are out, I was looking at the Summon Neutral Monster feat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/summon-neutral-monster/) to actually make the Summon Monster spells work. Besides that, though, I'm kinda in the dark. Any advice for making a monstrous summoner without using the Summoner class?

Florian
2017-06-20, 11:29 AM
Pimp Shadow Conjuration a bit?

Ninjaxenomorph
2017-06-20, 11:44 AM
Pimp Shadow Conjuration a bit?

While I was considering that, relying on Shadow Conjuration just puts me several levels behind what I could summon myself. Plus, our GM likes psychopomps, so summoning them would let me pander to him.

Psyren
2017-06-20, 11:45 AM
Focus on Inner Plane denizens - elementals, shadow creatures and the like. Alternatively, ditch summoning entirely and minionmance some other way, like constructs or undead.

Elementals are fine beatsticks, it's just that the Outer outsiders tend to have more utility in terms of SLAs and skills. If your party and your other spells can cover for those gaps you'll be okay.

Florian
2017-06-20, 11:48 AM
Ok, then start with Versatile Summon Monster and replace the usual basic outer plane stuff with elemental versions of it. The Inner Planes should be accessible, right?
With Psychopomps being available, go for Summon Guardian Spirit and apply it to the Nosoi. You now have a list of scaling SLA to apply to it and level it along, giving you part of the missing utility for using SM.

Ninjaxenomorph
2017-06-20, 04:49 PM
I actually forgot about Verstatile Summon Monster. With the exception of Primordial, all of those should be able to be summoned. I do like Summon Neutral Monster for its psychopomps; the GM likes them as well, so it would be a treat for him too.