PDA

View Full Version : Point buy to 4 values?

Oramac
2017-06-20, 12:24 PM
Pretty much what the title says. I'm looking for point-buy values below an 8. They're not in the PHB (at least, not in my copy).

I have an idea for a Scourge Aasimar Cleric with a super low Cha I want to play, but with the Aasimar +2 Cha racial, I need to point buy down to get where I want to be.

And yes, I know using Aasimar for this is not optimized. I don't care. :)

So, does anyone know point buy values for buying a 6 or 4?

Thanks!

KorvinStarmast
2017-06-20, 12:48 PM
Point buy for a stat less than 8 is undefined in D&D 5e. It's not a thing. You are in homebrew territory, it might be best to ask this at the home brew forums. 8 Costs you zero points, and you don't get points back by going down to 7 or lower.

ZorroGames
2017-06-20, 12:56 PM
Not that I would do it but four values at 8 are 4 x 0 build points leaving you with two 2 x 9 builds at 15 (plus any racial abilities) and 9 unused. That might suggest homebrew/DM adjudication.

ZorroGames
2017-06-20, 12:59 PM
Point buy for a stat less than 8 is undefined in D&D 5e. It's not a thing. You are in homebrew territory, it might be best to ask this at the home brew forums. 8 Costs you zero points, and you don't get points back by going down to 7 or lower.

So, the DM could just say 8 or less is zero and your build now is allowed to discard unused build points since nothing over 15 (before racial bonuses) is allowed in point buy.

Rhaegar
2017-06-20, 01:49 PM

A person could get less than 8 on strength if they picked the Kobold race from Volo's, as it has a -2 strength racial. That though just falls under the racial bonus/penalty aspect of things.

KorvinStarmast
2017-06-20, 02:06 PM
A person could get less than 8 on strength if they picked the Kobold race from Volo's, as it has a -2 strength racial. That though just falls under the racial bonus/penalty aspect of things. That is correct, but I don't see that as a point by transaction. Your pointing that out is good, though, as it may help the OP with what they are trying to do.

So, the DM could just say 8 or less is zero and your build now is allowed to discard unused build points since nothing over 15 (before racial bonuses) is allowed in point buy. once again, we are in DM ruling territory, so the OP ought to be talking to the DM, not us. (We can only be so helpful ...)

Coffee_Dragon
2017-06-20, 02:16 PM
What is the flavour trait you want to capture? Cha represents overall force of personality; maybe you can dial down one part of the fluff (looks/glibness/sociability/etc.) without having to tank the mechanical element below 8.

Findulidas
2017-06-20, 02:18 PM
Having lower than 10 means you are below average. Having lower than 8 is really bad. Lower than 8 in charisma means some kind of rain man character basically.