PDA

View Full Version : Level 9 Warlock looking for tricks I havent thought of.

Mandarin
2017-06-20, 06:44 PM
Alright, so my character is Wednesday Adams (I stole the idea from a different thread because it sounded amazing and it has been). She is a level 9 GOO pact of the chain warlock... we rolled for stats and I got some sweet scores so doing well there. I went variant human and took the Actor feat initially, than picked up the moderately armored and finally medium armor master. With her shield and half plate she is sitting on 20 AC. For eldrict invocations I took Agonizing Blast, Mask of Many Faces, Misty Visions, Voice of the Chain master, and whispers from the grave. Here is her general Gameplay.

She disguises self constantly as others. Her Imp is constantly scouting as an invisible spider so she can learn others voices and faces. She uses silent Image in conjunction with minor illusion to create all sorts of battlefield control options when her acting is not cutting it... which is not often. Her Charisma is at 20 and with the actor feat and disguise self at will I am a DMs worst nightmare aside from some great character stuff my DM throws at me (My DM is amazing) Some examples of this...

Invisible Imp spider follows bad guys around and we take a few out at a time. We question them and I learn everything I can from them... than kill them and take their form... luring out ones and twos.

We kill boss guy after questioning him... than I take his form and order his men to attack other bad guys I find out they are not getting along with... and watch them all kill each other.

I silent image a room of mirrors around a medusa boss attacking us... it doesnt harm him but it does buy us a round to come at him strategically.

I silent imaged (Along with minor illusion I had precasted) A gargoyle taunting some flying baddies and fly through a hole in bridge where there was no hole while the rest of the party was still hidden... they flew fullspeed into bridge and we jumped em.

An enemy was escaping and I grabbed our teams wizard and dimension doored him to the other side of the map I had seen earlier... that was epic.

I plan on collecting the skulls of more important people we kill and keeping them to cast speak with dead at will while dressed as their friend and find out info when it is pertinent... like a library of heads instead of books.

I have not used hex once because I save my concentration for illusions and also some of the more fun spells. (I once whispered into a shades ear "You call yourself dark?" and banished him to an alternate plane to the delight of my group)

My character is your typical Wednesday Adams, Mage hand is Thing... imp is really hairy and I call him cousin it, and once I get my thrall at 14 I plan on calling him Lurch. (My DM allows me to keep my mage hand up all the time and Thing is constantly doing weird crap... he is also how I pat down baddies after they have menacles and gags on.

All that to say... any ideas for illusions or my build that I havent thought of? Particularly speak with the dead (I just got it and havent got to use it yet but I can use it at will and think it will make for some good laughs.) My character is not really the high damage dealer outside of a few niche times... she mostly finds a way to avoid combat altogether or to misdirect the enemy to divide and conquer... since I joined the group I dont think anyone has really been in mortal danger. Throw some ideas my way guys! What would you do to make this character more epic?

The Ship's dog
2017-06-20, 06:58 PM
Now, because I really REALLY like Eldritch horror, I would suggest picking up some juicy H.P. Lovecraft-esque spells (Hunger of Hadar, Evard's Black Tentacles etc.) at some point. You could use them for control if you aren't using concentration at the time and want some more control.

Other than that, fluffing your spells with tentacles and Cthulu eyes to make them seem more menacing is all that I can say. If your DM is lenient, then I suggest that you both look at the Warlock/Wizard Unearthed Arcana for some cool invocations.

Chaosmancer
2017-06-20, 07:19 PM
I'm building a 12th level fiendlock to replace my previous character.

I can't remember when 5th level spells happen, but Dream looks amazing. Long distance communications or terrorize a target and prevent them from sleeping. Might even out right kill some weaker mooks.

I also am grabbing the new Aspect of the Moon invocation (I'm tome but your DM might make an exception) so i no longer need to sleep. Ups the creepy factor if you are always awake and watching them, plus gives you a few extra hours for mischief every day.

I'd also consider ritual caster at some point. Things like magic mouth or animal messenger are again great for terrorizing enemies. Then again, your imp might be able to duplicate animal messenger so it could be a wash.

Mandarin
2017-06-21, 02:25 PM
I'm building a 12th level fiendlock to replace my previous character.

I can't remember when 5th level spells happen, but Dream looks amazing. Long distance communications or terrorize a target and prevent them from sleeping. Might even out right kill some weaker mooks.

I also am grabbing the new Aspect of the Moon invocation (I'm tome but your DM might make an exception) so i no longer need to sleep. Ups the creepy factor if you are always awake and watching them, plus gives you a few extra hours for mischief every day.

I'd also consider ritual caster at some point. Things like magic mouth or animal messenger are again great for terrorizing enemies. Then again, your imp might be able to duplicate animal messenger so it could be a wash.

I have dream and plan on using it for all sorts of fun with both the enemy and my friends. I have one particular sorcerer that does not like my character killing people that are menacled... I may have to place some dreams in his life to cause him to question what is "good"

ShikomeKidoMi
2017-06-22, 12:51 AM
Now, because I really REALLY like Eldritch horror, I would suggest picking up some juicy H.P. Lovecraft-esque spells (Hunger of Hadar, Evard's Black Tentacles etc.) at some point. You could use them for control if you aren't using concentration at the time and want some more control.

The great thing about playing a Warlock with Evard's Black Tentacles is shoving people who manage to break free back in with Repelling Blast.

Joe the Rat
2017-06-22, 08:35 AM
A big part of why I like tomelocks - repelling blast and thorn whip. GOO (or the newest UA version of the new invocations) also has the Grasp of Hadar invocation. Push, pull, you're the one directing traffic.

Train out Hex on your next level up. It doesn't fit your style. You'd do better with a Hold or Dominate. Or Suggestion if you haven't grabbed it already.