PDA

View Full Version : Damage Reduction in Rise of the runelords

Zangief1983
2017-06-20, 07:35 PM
Hi all, looking for some opinions here and I have heard this is a great forum from the people on the paizo forums. I have an amulet of mighty fists that I am looking to add the Shock special quality to. Other options are all +1 equivalents ie fire,frost etc. Which type of damage would you recommend for this campaign we are currently in the start of the second chapter. Are there many creatures resistant to say fire? Ice? Shock? Something else?

Manyasone
2017-06-20, 09:05 PM
Those are spoilers, mate. But, when in doubt, take holy

Morphic tide
2017-06-20, 09:20 PM
Hi all, looking for some opinions here and I have heard this is a great forum from the people on the paizo forums. I have an amulet of mighty fists that I am looking to add the Shock special quality to. Other options are all +1 equivalents ie fire,frost etc. Which type of damage would you recommend for this campaign we are currently in the start of the second chapter. Are there many creatures resistant to say fire? Ice? Shock? Something else?

Given what I know about it, the best +1 option early on is Undead Bane. There's a segment with so many Ghouls. Like, at least a full level of nothing but Ghoul fighting. What level are you? Because the Ghoul infestation(note: not actually infestation, the plot just had a lot of Ghoul fights in a row. At least 3 fights of nothing but them in what I'm fairly sure was a single day) was the level 4-5 range. Or was it 5-6?

Is this sufficiently plot-absent to not be spoilery? It's the relevant information for metagaming alone. I never got past level 5 because the game fell apart due to IRL things. The plot seemed to be a setup for a lot of Aberrations, so that Bane effect might be useful. Evil Outsiders might be the bulk of the late game, though. I'm actually not sure. But Holy is, indeed, the best bet for a +2. Not a single Neutral foe I know of, and the creature types in common use are almost always Evil.

Edit: I have no clue what you mean by second chapter. If you mean second physical book, I cannot give any advice due to the aforementioned campaign collapse the round I went for.

Of the energy damage types, Shock is the least resisted overall. Cold has quite a few aquatic creatures resisting it, while Fire is the single most commonly resisted energy type in the game.

Zangief1983
2017-06-20, 10:49 PM
Thanks a lot. Ya a +2 holy is not do-able at the moment do not have gold. Shock is however do-able and I will get that, thanks.

Malimar
2017-06-21, 07:51 PM
Humanoid(giant)-bane will serve you well from Mama Graul's children and Fort Rannick right through to the end of the campaign. (But if you haven't already started to come across ogrekin and stuff to know that you're gonna be facing giants, that's metagaming and spoilers, which is discouraged, pick something else.)

But if you want something that's good against everything, not just most enemies... I'd go with... ehh, anything other than Frost.