PDA

View Full Version : The dreaded Behemoth (monster-ish)

InaVegt
2007-08-05, 09:12 AM
Behemoth
Gargantuan Anima
HD 90d8 + 900 (1395)
Speed 60 ft. (12 squares)
Init: +0
AC 35; touch 2; flat-footed 35
(+43 natural, -4 dex, -4 size)
BAB +67; Grp +93
Attack Tusks +77 (4d8+20, 19-20/×2)
Full-Attack Tusks +77 (4d8+20, 19-20/×2)
Space 20 ft.; Reach 15 ft.
Special Attacks none
Special Qualities Damage reduction 5/-
Saves Fort +57 Ref +39 Will +29
Abilities Str 30, Dex 3, Con 31, Int 1, Wis 8, Cha 8
Skills Jump +63, Swim +50
Feats Improved initiative, toughness × 30
Environment Warm plains
Organization single, pair, hunt (3-5)
Challenge Rating ???
Treasure Standard
Alignment Always neutral
Advancement 91-120 (gargantuan) 121-160 (colossal)
Level Adjustment -

Vhaidara
2007-08-05, 09:36 AM
Been playing Kingdom Hearts lately? The thing about this is, one Overland Flight spell, and it's screwed, because it can't reach them while they bombard it with god-knows-what.

Deesix
2007-08-05, 11:49 AM
Been playing Kingdom Hearts lately? The thing about this is, one Overland Flight spell, and it's screwed, because it can't reach them while they bombard it with god-knows-what.

I wonder how high you can get with a +63 jump...

But this is a good point. It should have lasers.

Gralamin
2007-08-05, 12:01 PM
I wonder how high you can get with a +63 jump...

But this is a good point. It should have lasers.

Assuming 10, 18 ft up, + 64 ft Vertical reach, Meaning it can swat at things 82 feet up

Deesix
2007-08-05, 12:03 PM
Assuming 10, 18 ft up, + 64 ft Vertical reach, Meaning it can swat at things 82 feet up

Unfortunately, someone will only be within his reach once...Still, a flying grapple would be hilarious!

Deesix
2007-08-05, 12:05 PM
Also, shouldn't it have a bite attack? All horrible monsters can bite people. And then eat them.

Gralamin
2007-08-05, 12:23 PM
Assuming its four legged, that should actually be 18+32 ft, which would be 50 ft.

But a bite should work.

Yakk
2007-08-05, 12:57 PM
L 10 wizard.

Overland flight.
Enlarge Spell: Ray of Exaustion (takes a L 4 slot)
Touch attack, fort partial. Assume the fort save succeeds.
2 casts, target is Exausted.
-6 dex and strength -- dex is now 0, target is helpless.

L 10 Barbarian with a two-handed axe +3 approaches, Rages, and coup-de-grace's the Behemoth.

26 strength (+12 damage).
Full Power Attack (-10/+20).
Auto-crit (x3).
(1d12+35)x3 =min 108 damage.
-5 for DR.
Behemoth must make a fort save vs 113 or die.

So CR is no more than 10.

Creatures who lack magical defenses, intelligence and mobility are not dangerous to mid-high level adventurers.

Does "Anima" make the being immune to this tactic?

MandibleBones
2007-08-05, 01:23 PM
As far as I know, CR doesn't quite work that way. Assuming optimal conditions and preparation are no way to calculate CR.

For the OP: With 90 HD, wouldn't more than one attack on a full be apropos? At least some sort of a slam/slam/tusk?

Valairn
2007-08-05, 02:02 PM
Mandible is entirely right. No one is gonna modify the CR of a Tarrasque cause there is some super optimized low level silliness in order to beat him. That would be like saying everything should have a CR 1 Cause Pun Pun can beat them at level 1 with no help......

InaVegt
2007-08-05, 04:26 PM
Mandible is entirely right. No one is gonna modify the CR of a Tarrasque cause there is some super optimized low level silliness in order to beat him. That would be like saying everything should have a CR 1 Cause Pun Pun can beat them at level 1 with no help......

Actually, the lowest level pun pun I've seen is 5th level, below that the cheese can't be acquired yet (as far as I know)

Gralamin
2007-08-05, 04:45 PM
Actually, the lowest level pun pun I've seen is 5th level, below that the cheese can't be acquired yet (as far as I know)

Level 1 is the new low.

Nu
2007-08-05, 05:05 PM
Mm, if this is the traditional Final Fantasy Behemoth, it should have some ability to counterattack on every attack that hits it, and it casts Meteor Swarm whenever someone uses magic against it.

Joltz
2007-08-05, 05:27 PM
My biggest question is why does it have toughness x30? I'd expect it to have power attack at least, if not a full list of useful feats. The DR looks low too. I remember behemoths being more of a pain than DR 5. Naturally, they're also missing magic resistance (as everyone has pointed out).

Zeta Kai
2007-08-06, 06:50 AM
My biggest question is why does it have toughness x30? I'd expect it to have power attack at least, if not a full list of useful feats. The DR looks low too. I remember behemoths being more of a pain than DR 5. Naturally, they're also missing magic resistance (as everyone has pointed out).

Yeah, Improved Toughness (from Complete Warrior, Libris Mortis, & Monster Manual III) gives you +1HP per Hit Die. This would eliminate the need for Toughness×30, which is not only silly but very wasteful, as you can free up 29 other feats by doing so. Those extra feats, if well chosen, could boost the Cr of this monster significantly.

Artemician
2007-08-06, 06:56 AM
Well, I'm sorry to say this.. but this monster doesn't impress me at all.

It's simply a big, big bruiser-thing. It has loads of health. And strength. Big deal. I don't see anything that makes it unique, that makes it an interesting encounter, that makes your PCs go like "Whoa. What in the 9 Hells is THAT?". It's far too generic. It doesn't stand out.

It doesn't even have any fluff. From what I gather, you're trying to stat out some beastie from the FF series of games, so a simple description should be easy to find. Or failing that, at least describe it's behaviour pattenrs, its characteristics, anything.

Maybe you could try to add some special abilities/qualities? I do not know much of this Behemoth", but from what other people say, it appears to have Spell Resistance, and/or the ability to summon meteors. Perhaps these abilities could be reflected in the stat block?

Apologies in advance if I sound offensive.

Yakk
2007-08-06, 11:09 AM
As far as I know, CR doesn't quite work that way. Assuming optimal conditions and preparation are no way to calculate CR.

"Flight completely makes the creature nearly completely unable to attack you" is a bad sign.

"Can be easily defeated by any kind of ray-based dexterity drain" is a bad sign.

I'm trying to express that the creature's weaknesses are far far too high for the creature's power in other spheres.

And in FF, if I remember rightly any challenging opponent is usually flagged with immunity to every status effect.

MandibleBones
2007-08-06, 05:11 PM
I'm trying to express that the creature's weaknesses are far far too high for the creature's power in other spheres.

I do agree with that - some varied attacks, immunities/resistances and perhaps different uses of feats, could up this beastie to a CR more commensurate with its high HD and HP.