PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next School of Bureaumancy - Arcane Tradition

Scorpion_Strike
2017-06-21, 08:49 PM
I wrote this one over a year ago and, much like the Armchair General bard, it wasn't exactly serious. Comments and critique would be much appreciated, though, as I would like to eventually turn this into something reasonably balanced and playable.

School of Bureaumancy – Arcane Tradition

Wizards of the school of bureaumancy are experts in mathematics, law, and writing. Often called the “invisible school,” its members can be found operating in the halls and offices of every government and organization great and small, lending the more benign side of their expertise to running everything behind the scenes, often while never letting on the true power of their abilities. Do not underestimate them, however; bureaumancers may go about their art in relative silence, but the comparative invisibility and implicit trust they receive make them powerful allies.

Legalese Expertise
Experienced in dealing with officials and official documents of all kinds, you have acquired a 6th sense in reading and interpreting their meaning. Starting at 2nd level, you have advantage on any check made to find, identify, or interpret any piece of writing, even if it is in a language that you do not speak. If you successfully interpret a contract, you also become aware of any hidden conditions, clauses, and fine print that it contains.

In Triplicate
Bureaumancers know the importance of thorough documentation, and extend their expertise to their spellcasting. Starting at 2nd level, once per short rest, when you cast a spell or cantrip that targets a single creature and does not require concentration, you can use your bonus action to expend one additional spell slot of the level that you expended to cast the spell and make it target three creatures instead. All three creatures have to be within the spell’s maximum range of each other and of you.

Photocopy
In business dealings, it is often important that copies of documents be kept for verification and holding others accountable. Having made and kept copies of all your dealings, you have learned to extend that to your spellcasting. Starting at 6th level, whenever a creature you can see casts a spell, you can use your action on your next turn to cast that same spell, expending a spell slot as normal. If the spell included you as a target and is on the Wizard spell list, you can expend appropriate time and gold to the spell’s level to add it to your spellbook, so long as you do so within 24 hours of the original casting. Though you can use this feature for as long as you have the right spell slots to spend, you can only copy the latest spell that you cast using this feature into your spellbook.

Crunch the Numbers
You know how to perform every calculation pertinent to business and how to fill out every form; numbers bend to your will and, sometimes, to you and your allies’ advantage, if you wish it to be so. Of course, this is often to the disadvantage of someone else, but you cannot afford a disappointing quarter. Beginning at 10th level, if you cast a spell that damages one or multiple creatures and the damage roll of the spell disappoints you, you can use your bonus action to re-roll up to half of the spell's damage dice. You must use the new rolls. If the spell you cast targets multiple creatures, this feature only changes the damage against one of them. If the spell you cast does damage over multiple turns, only the damage on the turn of casting is affected. In addition, you or an ally gain temporary hitpoints equal to the number of damage dice that you re-rolled using this feature.

Company Loyalty Benefits
As befits an administrator of your stature, you have created a set of operating principles for you and those who work with (or under) you to follow. At 14th level, you create a company name and slogan (if your party does not have one already) and choose two of the following principles to form the cornerstone of your operation. You and any creatures formally employed by your operation receive the accompanying benefits.

Commercial: you and your employees are taught how to find and make the best deals, greatly benefitting the organization financially. You gain proficiency in the persuasion skill, or expertise if you already had proficiency, and can purchase spell components at half their usual price
Diplomatic: diplomacy (or fine manipulation) of your friends and enemies alike is the key to success in both business and adventure; trading favors are as important as trading money or goods, and give you something to hold over your competitors’ heads to top it off. You gain the “enchantment savant” feature from the school of enchantment. In addition, you gain proficiency in the Deception and Persuasion skills, or expertise if you already had proficiency in them.
Enlightened: You and your employees know the value of some good R&R, and actively research how you can improve your rest to be more productive when you work. You gain proficiency in the Performance skill, or expertise if you already had proficiency in it, and you can add your Intelligence or Charisma modifier to the hitpoints you regain from every hit die expended during a short rest.
Innovative: To succeed, you must be the first to master every new innovation that comes your way, and know how to make best use of all materials in your possession. You gain advantage in checks made to determine the use of any object. In addition, you gain one extra attunement slot for magical items.
Militaristic: a strong arm and a sharp blade help to force compliance, and you show yourself willing to use them. You gain proficiency in the use of both simple and martial weapons, and can sacrifice a spell slot to make them magical. If you chose to do so, you must spend an hour enchanting the weapon, giving it a bonus to attack and damage rolls equal to the level of the spell slot you expend. You cannot expend a spell slot higher than third level using this feature, and no weapon can be enchanted beyond a bonus of +3. The enchantment lasts for 24 hours, and you cannot regain the expended spell slot until it ends. You can only have one weapon enchanted in this way at a time.
Vigilant: treachery and trickery lie around every corner, and your company cannot afford to be caught off-guard, lest a scandal erupt. You gain proficiency in the Perception and Investigation skills, or expertise if you already had proficiency in them. In addition, you have advantage on insight checks made to determine someone’s true intentions or if they are telling the truth.

JNAProductions
2017-06-21, 09:00 PM
Militaristic is OP.

Crunch the Numbers is RIDICULOUSLY OP.

Scorpion_Strike
2017-06-21, 09:20 PM
Good point. Reworked Crunch the Numbers and added a necessary limitation to the Militaristic company loyalty benefit.

JNAProductions
2017-06-21, 09:29 PM
I feel like Crunch the Numbers is still too good. For reference, Empowered costs 1 SP (usable roughly 3 times per short rest at level 10, assuming you spend SP on nothing else), let's you reroll Charisma Modifier dice, but has two important distinctions: It's a true reroll, not advantage, and it doesn't grant THP.

To go extreme, Imma point out Meteor Swarm. Let's say you roll:

(40d6)[3][4][3][1][3][3][3][5][6][1][2][4][4][4][2][2][3][4][2][5][6][6][2][4][1][6][1][5][6][1][5][2][4][2][2][6][4][5][4][4](140)

And reroll 20 dice, for:

(20d6)[6][6][2][4][4][3][5][6][6][1][5][6][6][6][3][1][6][4][5][5](90)

That's going from 140 to 190 (I think), for 25 THP.

That's a pretty significant damage boost, but looking at this, I've found my main issue with it.

You have to reroll each die ONE AT A TIME. Because you have to keep track of what the old roll was.

I'd make it a TRUE reroll, of up to half the dice, and THP equal to the number of dice rerolled.

Scorpion_Strike
2017-06-21, 09:33 PM
That streamlines it a lot. Granted, at the time when I first wrote this I thought the overcomplicated nature of the feature was funnily befitting of the administrative nature of the class, but I wasn't being serious about it then and it certainly wouldn't be funny at the table. Changed it. Also added the stipulation to Photocopy that one can still only add spells on the Wizard spell list to their spellbook, even if they can copy anything in the moment in battle so long as there's spell slots for it.

JNAProductions
2017-06-21, 09:34 PM
Looks pretty good now.

And while I do agree, tedium and boredom is APPROPRIATE, it ain't fun.

Scorpion_Strike
2017-06-21, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the help!