PDA

View Full Version : Tactical Question

Buufreak
2017-06-22, 10:21 AM
Guys, I'm so happy, I'm finally getting a game off the ground that I've been planning for months! Session 0 is over, and only need to tweak some character sheets. Mostly math errors, nothing major.

So the party is playing a goliath barb, elf magus, and lesser drow bard, with the agreement that everyone is here to have fun and to go nuts on builds. They aren't the best at op fu, so I'm not worried.

My big question is how viable would a tactic of "buff the barb and clean up later" be for this 3 man group?

Ps. Eventually 2 more will join in when scheduling issues and moving 2200 miles has resolved.

Edit: and as always I forgot something for the OP. 99% of everything from 3, 3.5, PF, and D20 modern will fly in this game, the 1% being punpun.

The_Jette
2017-06-22, 10:23 AM
What level is the party? Are you starting at level 1?

Buufreak
2017-06-22, 11:10 AM
Oh look, another thing I missed. Starting at ecl3 mr1, plans to go the distance.

The_Jette
2017-06-22, 12:11 PM
For low levels, buffing the party beatstick and letting him go bananas is a perfectly viable tactic, for most encounters. For things with DR/Magic, give the Barb Magic Weapon, if possible, since they'll have the higher chance of hitting. Once the levels start going up, that tactic becomes less necessary. Giving the Barbarian haste will still be useful, but that's a spell that is useful for everyone. Mostly battlefield control will be the important factor in high level encounters. But, for now, they should be fine. They might not even really need to buff the barb, and can focus on buffing themselves, depending on how optimized the barb is. And, being a Goliath, he seems to be starting off well.

NOhara24
2017-06-22, 01:35 PM
Guys, I'm so happy, I'm finally getting a game off the ground that I've been planning for months! Session 0 is over, and only need to tweak some character sheets. Mostly math errors, nothing major.

So the party is playing a goliath barb, elf magus, and lesser drow bard, with the agreement that everyone is here to have fun and to go nuts on builds. They aren't the best at op fu, so I'm not worried.

My big question is how viable would a tactic of "buff the barb and clean up later" be for this 3 man group?

Ps. Eventually 2 more will join in when scheduling issues and moving 2200 miles has resolved.

Edit: and as always I forgot something for the OP. 99% of everything from 3, 3.5, PF, and D20 modern will fly in this game, the 1% being punpun.

Don't forget about other cheese like d2 Crusader :P

Either way. I'm likely not going to say anything that hasn't already been said; yes it's totally viable. For how long depends on what spells the players use to buff the Barbarian, how well optimized the Barbarian is, and how long the players find this mode of play fun.

Something for you as the DM to note, if you want them to have a particularly difficult encounter you can always just have them fight a caster who exploits the Barb's low will save. If they're smart, it will serve as a good party development device as well because they'll want to avoid it happening again.

Florian
2017-06-22, 01:41 PM
Oh look, another thing I missed. Starting at ecl3 mr1, plans to go the distance.

with "mr1", you mean Mythic Rank 1?

Goaty14
2017-06-22, 02:59 PM
Buffing the beatstick seems like a good idea, especially given the other two party members are squishies

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-06-22, 03:07 PM
99% of everything from 3, 3.5, PF, and D20 modern will fly in this game, the 1% being punpun.

Occupy Greyhawk. We are the 99%.

Buufreak
2017-06-22, 04:20 PM
with "mr1", you mean Mythic Rank 1?

Aye. Champ, champ, and trickster, respectively.

Florian
2017-06-22, 05:24 PM
Aye. Champ, champ, and trickster, respectively.

Viable, then. Aerial Assault, Mythic Rage, Titans Rage... pure gold. Edit: Large Goliath, Huge Greatsword, Combat Reflexes and CaGM is fun!