PDA

View Full Version : How to handle dark Vision?

Sir cryosin
2017-06-22, 01:33 PM
My group and my players always pick races with dark Vision. And when we are in dark places they always act like they see just as well as if they are in bright light. I've tried tell them it doesn't work that way but they just say you can see in darkness and everything is just in shades of color. So how do y'all handle this?

Armored Walrus
2017-06-22, 01:36 PM
Are you the DM? If so, all you really have to enforce is the disadvantage on perception rolls, (also deduct 5 points from their passive perception) when they are searching for something in darkness.

Also, don't any of them own a PHB? It's really pretty clear how darkvision works...

jaappleton
2017-06-22, 01:36 PM
"It is dark."
"I have Darkvision."
"You're fine, then. Anyone without Darkvision is having a rough time seeing this, but those with it see...."
"I don't have it, I cast Light"
"You're fine now."

Waterdeep Merch
2017-06-22, 01:37 PM
Disadvantage on perception and attack rolls made in any area that would be counted as dim-light to them, which usually means anywhere that would be considered dark. In normal dim-light, they're perfectly fine.

This is how it's supposed to work in the book. Just make sure to emphasize the disadvantage, that'll make them grab for torches real quick.

Sir cryosin
2017-06-22, 01:38 PM
Also say if the PC with 60ft Dark vision and a PC with no DV is up front with a light 40ft ahead of him 20 bright and 20 dim. Does the PC with DV see 60ft from the edge of the light even if that PC is say 10ft from the center of the light.

Sigreid
2017-06-22, 01:39 PM
My group and my players always pick races with dark Vision. And when we are in dark places they always act like they see just as well as if they are in bright light. I've tried tell them it doesn't work that way but they just say you can see in darkness and everything is just in shades of color. So how do y'all handle this?

RAW they see out to 60 feet about how well a normal person can see at night with no lights. They are at disadvantage on perception checks. Generally speaking they can function ok, but not at full comfort or efficiency.

If, however they take the stalker feat (whatever it's called) they can get to where they think they are.

They are very wrong that it's just black and white vision.

RSP
2017-06-22, 01:45 PM
Disadvantage on perception and attack rolls made in any area that would be counted as dim-light to them, which usually means anywhere that would be considered dark. In normal dim-light, they're perfectly fine.

This is how it's supposed to work in the book. Just make sure to emphasize the disadvantage, that'll make them grab for torches real quick.

Disadvantage on Perception is correct, but there is no disadvantage on attack rolls unless the character is blinded (which happens when it's heavily obscured or in darkness).

Dim=lightly obscured (disadvantage to Perception)
Dark=heavily obscured (disadvantage on attacks)

Waterdeep Merch
2017-06-22, 01:50 PM
Disadvantage on Perception is correct, but there is no disadvantage on attack rolls unless the character is blinded (which happens when it's heavily obscured or in darkness).

Dim=lightly obscured (disadvantage to Perception)
Dark=heavily obscured (disadvantage on attacks)
Huh, I never noticed that. I stand corrected.

There's some interplay beyond darkvision range, of course, but that's rarely ever going to come up.

Armored Walrus
2017-06-22, 02:01 PM
There's some interplay beyond darkvision range, of course, but that's rarely ever going to come up.

Darkvision only goes 60 feet for most races. I definitely will at some point have my party (all who have darkvision) face an enemy who has 120' darkvision and ranged weapons. Attacks from beyond 60 feet will be made with advantage (unseen attacker) and attacks against those foes without closing range will be made with disadvantage (can't see their targets). 60 feet is not a long way, and characters with darkvision are just as blind as character without it beyond that range. The drow in my party will feel special in that encounter ;)

Sir cryosin
2017-06-22, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the comments. dark Vision has been so irritating.

coolAlias
2017-06-22, 02:15 PM
While the disadvantages noted above are true, also keep in mind that darkvision can see in dimly lit areas as if it were bright light, so no penalty at all.

The vast majority of areas my PCs go are usually dimly lit, as even races with darkvision don't usually want to wander around in total darkness so they will have at least some sources of light.

Sir cryosin
2017-06-22, 02:31 PM
Well it was bugging me because we just started playing tales from the yawning portal. And we're in a Tome and everyone has dark Vision but me. And them and the DM was acting like it was no disadvantages when were going through this Tome underground.

Findulidas
2017-06-22, 02:34 PM
Well it was bugging me because we just started playing tales from the yawning portal. And we're in a Tome and everyone has dark Vision but me. And them and the DM was acting like it was no disadvantages when were going through this Tome underground.

The more practical problems arise if you are a rogue or similar relying on stealth while still unable to see. Specially when trying to scout ahead or similar. Its really quite a bother to not pick a darkvision race then. Otherwise you can usually deal with it by lighting a torch and dropping it if anything attacks.

RSP
2017-06-22, 02:51 PM
RAW they see out to 60 feet about how well a normal person can see at night with no lights. They are at disadvantage on perception checks. Generally speaking they can function ok, but not at full comfort or efficiency.

If, however they take the stalker feat (whatever it's called) they can get to where they think they are.

They are very wrong that it's just black and white vision.

To clarify, per the PHB, "Characters face darkness outdoors at night (even most moonlit nights)" so keep in mind, Darkvision provides better sight than what a normal person can see at night, as that normal person is effectively Blinded.

And it's black and white with shades of grey: no color in Darkvision. Per the PHB Darkvision description:

"the creature can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray."

Puh Laden
2017-06-22, 02:59 PM
To clarify, per the PHB, "Characters face darkness outdoors at night (even most moonlit nights)" so keep in mind, Darkvision provides better sight than what a normal person can see at night, as that normal person is effectively Blinded.

And it's black and white with shades of grey: no color in Darkvision. Per the PHB Darkvision description:

"the creature can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray."

Darkvision provides what a normal person in the real world can see at night with no lights. D&D humans aren't normal people because they get totally blinded on nights lit even by a full moon.

coolAlias
2017-06-22, 03:12 PM
Darkvision provides what a normal person in the real world can see at night with no lights. D&D humans aren't normal people because they get totally blinded on nights lit even by a full moon.
It is pretty silly, but they probably did it that way because they didn't want to get into the details of the current phase of the moon and tracking exact time so you know whether the moon is even visible at the moment, let alone how much light it might be producing given the current cloud and canopy cover. This also makes the assumption that every D&D world has the same type of moon and cycle as Earth.

That said, I still agree with you - it is ridiculous that a moonlit night is considered total darkness rather than, say, dim light to some number of feet (maybe 60) and darkness after that.

Puh Laden
2017-06-22, 03:16 PM
It is pretty silly, but they probably did it that way because they didn't want to get into the details of the current phase of the moon and tracking exact time so you know whether the moon is even visible at the moment, let alone how much light it might be producing given the current cloud and canopy cover. This also makes the assumption that every D&D world has the same type of moon and cycle as Earth.

That said, I still agree with you - it is ridiculous that a moonlit night is considered total darkness rather than, say, dim light to some number of feet (maybe 60) and darkness after that.

I admit the reliability of night == darkness is very nice, particularly if you're fighting enemies without darkvision and the party's DPR guys do.

Theodoxus
2017-06-22, 04:52 PM

So you're bookworms? :smallbiggrin:

Seriously though, this version has the worst Vision rules - I think that's part of the driving distraction that is the hide/stealth/hidden rules as well.

My table was lamenting the other day the lack of infra and ultra vision. This generic 'darkvision' that was foisted on us in 3.0 and carried forward is a disgrace. The removal (technically the merging) of low-light vision makes it silly. Instead of having a clear delineation between cavern dwellers (dwarves, orcs, goblins, gnomes, etc) with ultravision (now darkvision), twilight/night dwellers (elves, halflings, tieflings, etc) with infravsion (then low-light vision, no darkvision) and sunlight dwellers (humans, dragonborne (?!?) with normal sight - you have this dichotomy that makes less sense.

Like a lot of "improvements to simplify" in 5e, this is another case where they went too far. I've already houseruled the reintroduction of Low-light vision. Some races get both Low-light and Darkvision; others only get one or the other, depending on where their race evolved.

Zalabim
2017-06-23, 02:27 AM

You jest, but I think it's actually the case that D&D's blindness isn't a complete and total inability to see but instead like legally blind. There aren't actually any rules that hinder blindly wandering down a dark tunnel, if the tunnel is safe. The downside of dark-blindness only shows up in dangerous situations.