PDA

View Full Version : Magical ways to boost spell resistance?

atemu1234
2017-06-22, 09:08 PM
Are there any spells or items that boost spell resistance in a character already possessing it?

atemu1234
2017-06-22, 10:11 PM
What edition are you asking about?

3e/3.5/PF it doesn't really matter.

Dingoman
2017-06-22, 11:14 PM
Are there any spells or items that boost spell resistance in a character already possessing it?

Player's Handbook 2, page 120.

Mystic Aegis - Cleric 4

Immediate action casting time - Gain Spell Resistance equal to 12 + CL vs. an incoming hostile spell.

tyckspoon
2017-06-23, 09:42 AM
Not a lot of ways to do this. The most practical and accessible is probably Daazix's Vest in the DMG2, which gives +5 to existing SR for a very reasonable price. After that the only means I know of get into some mildly obscure and annoying to use feats- Awaken Spell Resistance, Draconomicon, which is only useful if you're a Dragon with a lot of racial HD. Exalted Spell Resistance, gives a nice +4.. but only against (Evil) spells or the abilities of Evil Outsiders and also requires you to be Exalted Good. And its Vile Darkness counterpart Boost Spell Resistance, which is.. actually not that bad; it's a flat +2 to existing SR. But because it was printed in the Big Book of LOOK AT ME, I'm SO EEEEEVvvillllll it requres you to be Evil and the bonus type is Profane.

The Viscount
2017-06-23, 06:38 PM
Forsaker has spell resistance that explicitly stacks with other sources. Granted, this is from 3.0 when I don't think there was the general rules about stacking. That being said, this now functions as a specific example trumping general, since forsaker was not updated.

ViperMagnum357
2017-06-23, 06:50 PM
Improved spell resistance requires SR from a feat, feature or permanent spell effect without an alignment qualifier, but it is epic, so you will not be able to start stacking until ECL 21, and has the same benefit as boost spell resistance. Honestly, there are very few ways to get good SR without a race or template that provides a scaling ability, and far fewer to improve extant SR without just overlapping-and the Forsaker is a class that must be built around.

Thurbane
2017-06-23, 06:53 PM
There's a magic item option: Daazzix's Vest (DMG2 p.267); +5 to existing SR; 25000gp. already mentioned

There's also a few feats, but most are situational: Boost Spell Resistance (BoVD), Exalted Spell Resistance (BoED) and Psychic Refusal (DotU).