PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Rolling 7 on Prismatic Ray

embe13
2017-06-22, 10:48 PM
So I apologize if this has previously posted.

I am wondering if you roll the 7 on prismatic ray (sent to another plane - will negates)

Do get to pick the plane the target is sent to or is a random plane? If so how would you determine which plane?

Boozy
2017-06-22, 11:12 PM
So I apologize if this has previously posted.

I am wondering if you roll the 7 on prismatic ray (sent to another plane - will negates)

Do get to pick the plane the target is sent to or is a random plane? If so how would you determine which plane?

Well....

As DM, it's your discretion how to rule it. If narrative is better served with a particular outcome, then go with that. If the session is better served with them being quickly recoverable (the Astral, for instance is easier to reach than others), then do that. If you are fine with random...

There's 16 Outer Planes, the Astral, an infinite number of Prime worlds, the Ethereal, the six cardinal Elemental Planes, the four Para-elemental Planes where Fire/Water/Air/Earth intersect, eight more where the Positive and Negative Planes connect with those others, and finally, the Far Realm. Throwing in the Optional Shadow and Mirror demi-planes in the Ethereal (or more, if you want to get crazy) That's.....

Forty planes, not counting layers and variations across the Prime. Meaning you can roll percentiles and ignore any number greater than forty, create a ridiculous table for sub-layers, or get wild, like modifying a dark board or make a Mad Max style pinwheel. Personally, I'd go with DM fiat. It serves your (and the party's) purpose far better if you choose. Just roll behind a screen if you need to coddle their feelings, fake consulting a chart, then describe the surroundings to the hapless character who just took an unscheduled ride.

This is all assuming the plane of origin is the Prime. Otherwise, it gets much more complicated.

Necroticplague
2017-06-22, 11:16 PM
Manual of the Planes, page 37, says that prismatic spray sends you to a random plane, and provides a d100 table to roll on. Since prismatic ray is just a downgraded prismatic spray, I'd use the same table.

embe13
2017-06-22, 11:33 PM
I failed the search check on that when i was going through MoP looking for one. Thank you! Have a GP!

StreamOfTheSky
2017-06-23, 05:16 PM
There's a table 5-7 for "Random Planar Destinations" on p. 151 of the DMG, also.

It happened when my friend was DM, but ever since neither him nor I ever use the Prismatic spells anymore. A PC got sent to a random plane in the middle of a huge dungeon and we had to stop everything and leave just to sort it out and even just divine where the heck he went. What a mess. The spell's just too annoying, even instant death or petrification is less of a derailment.
"Thankfully" the player "only" got stuck w/ the Nine Hells, which isn't outright death if stuck there for hours like some other places. Between teleporting back to home base, resting to prep the divination and planar travel spells, finding out where he was, plane shifting there, figuring out what direction to head (since plane shift puts you off course by hundreds of miles), flying there, and escaping out with him, that was quite the side-trek.