PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying a self-centered character...

CrackedChair
2017-06-22, 11:26 PM
So for my next character sheet, I shall make a self-centered character, who thinks less of others and more of herself.

I wanted to base her off This character, (http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Serra) but I am afraid some act like this could wear thin with the other players.

So here is how it will work. My character will be an High Elf, Noble Wizard. I plan on her choosing the School of Divination, as her excuse might be that it will get her more praise. I still need to sort out alignment and the roleplay aspects like character traits, bonds, values and flaws, but I believe I got it down mechanically.

Could somebody help me when it comes to roleplay aspects and being in character?

Malifice
2017-06-22, 11:37 PM
Dude, last time you wanted to play a serial killing psychopath.

Now you want to play a PC that is essentially a self centred jerk?

It sounds like you're relatively new to the game, so I suggest playing a 'helpful good guy who has no trouble making friends' instead.

RyumaruMG
2017-06-23, 01:54 AM
A "selfish" character isn't the same as an "evil" one. Bear that in mind. You can do selfishness in a variety of ways. Obviously there's the character who sees the rest of the party as a means to an end, but even selfish people have relationships they care about.

(Confession: "self-centered jerk unveils heart of gold" is one of my favorite character developments)

Maybe the character starts as something of a jackass, but eventually they open up and start making small exceptions. "Me first" is still a priority, but they don't have to do it at the expense of another person, or at least one they care about.

Another route you could go is turning selfishness into a sort of protectiveness a la Tiffany Aching.

"All witches are selfish, the Queen had said. But Tiffany's Third Thoughts said: Then turn selfishness into a weapon! Make all things yours! Make other lives and dreams and hopes yours! Protect them! Save them! Bring them into the sheepfold! Walk the gale for them! Keep away the wolf! My dreams! My brother! My family! My land! My world! How dare you try to take these things, because they are mine! I have a duty!"

Also, if you watch Critical Role, watch the first episode involving Tarryon Darrington. He's a good example of a selfish character who is still a good person.

Arcangel4774
2017-06-23, 02:33 AM
Self centered isn't quite right if you're using Serra as inspiration. She cares very much for others. She has a rather common psychological issue that happens when I child is socially neglected; she craves attention and approval. Her self important attitude is a mask, to hide her extreme self doubt.

Now to play this character without bugging people, focus less on the attention craving (hogging the spotlight) and more on approval craving. Do so in a way that while you are fishing for compliments, you are also bragging.

gfishfunk
2017-06-23, 04:16 PM
This is the most important thing to ask however your roleplaying a character:

"How can I make decisions that support the other players and push the game / story forward while using the character personality to justify the decision?"

Essentially, you can play any personality type without disrupting the game if you can justify co-existing with the other players.

Waterdeep Merch
2017-06-23, 04:49 PM

"How can I make decisions that support the other players and push the game / story forward while using the character personality to justify the decision?"

Essentially, you can play any personality type without disrupting the game if you can justify co-existing with the other players.
I wish more players thought like this. It should be obvious. D&D is a cooperative team-based game at heart.

You're given a lot of leeway with the behavior of your character, but getting along with your party should always be your first prerogative. The second should be fitting the theme of the game you're in; a game about epic heroes saving the world probably doesn't have room for a chaotic evil serial killer that doesn't care about anyone or anything, not without some award-winning roleplaying chops.

Certainly a good enough roleplayer could get away with playing virtually anything in any group, but only once they've really gotten a grasp on how to not derail the entire game with their shenanigans.

GlenSmash!
2017-06-23, 05:12 PM

Bingo, Great role-players would figure out a way to make a self-centered character that still contributed to the goals of the Party. like Raistlin did in the first Dragonlance book.

Easy_Lee
2017-06-23, 05:17 PM
Do you want a self-centered character, or a character who sees the world with himself at its center? There's a difference. The latter is the type of person to see himself as the solution to every problem. Thus, he will fix anything he sees wrong with the world. And if he's competent, he'll do it well. The downside of such a personality is that he's unlikely to conceive of solutions that don't involve him, and he's often wrong about what's best for others.

Something to think about. if you're just trying to play a selfish munchkin who doesn't care about the other players and is only out for himself, you're gonna have a bad time.

qube
2017-06-23, 05:27 PM
Could somebody help me when it comes to roleplay aspects and being in character?you're a high elf? EXCELENT ! threat the rest of the party like a school teacher treats his pupils.

PC succeeds at something
response: Very well done! I see my advice really helped you

PC fails at something
response: That's OK, you tried your best. Next time, I'll help you. No need to thank me, it's what I do.

You succeed at something
response: see, this is how it's done. it's really not that hard

You fail at something.
response: hmmm ... this problem is unsolvable. sorry guys, we'll have to go around.

willdaBEAST
2017-06-23, 06:20 PM
You can also exaggerate your selfish tendencies towards NPCs as opposed to party members. Otherwise I'd be very careful how self-centered you plan to be.