PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Trickster Wizard or Fighter dips--worth it?

miburo
2017-06-23, 12:23 AM
I've got a High Elf Arcane Trickster character that I might be playing in a future campaign--an antiques shop owner by day, and a burglar/spy type by night. Rapier wielder, Booming Blade/Greenflame Blade for the win. Current stats are Str 10, Dex 16, Con 13, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 12. Plan to take Resilient: Con at some point.

From experience, has anyone tried a Bladesinger Wizard 2 dip when playing an Arcane Trickster? Is the 2 level dip actually worth it for bladesong, 1st level spells, extra cantrips, etc.? I know you lose 4th level spells at 19-20 but that's a ways off. There's also being 2 levels behind in ASI/feat progression though. I would probably reduce Wis and Cha to 10 and bring Int to 16 to make that happen.

Separately, is a Fighter 1 dip at all worth it instead of Wizard? Could take Defense Style and a Shield for +3 AC. For most of the career that would be the same as Bladesong would have been, and it's always on. Would almost certainly need Warcaster though. In that case I might drop Str to 8 raise Con to 14 and replace Resilient: Con with that.

Anyone tried either of these? Or is it best just to stick with straight up Arcane Trickster?

djreynolds
2017-06-23, 01:16 AM
Yes, wizard is a great dip for arcane trickster and/or eldritch knight.

Just for spell selection and utility.

Depending on the level of the campaign and what its going to will show you how big of a dip you need

I recommend 2-5 levels, anything more than this and you are now a wizard.

Now fighter is okay, but what are really getting out of fighter? You are dex based, so you are not shield bashing and stabbing. You could grab archery style and leave. And since you have cantrips like BB/GFB, you don't need TWF

3-4 levels of any wizard will open up huge possibilities as there lots of great 1st and 2nd level spells here. With blur and mirror image, mage armor, etc I wouldn't worry so much about AC. Misty Step and you cunning action will help avoid bad situations.

For war caster and resilient con. It is a toss up IMO. Resilient con affects all con checks, but as an AT, when you hit with an AoO, you could be adding your sneak attack damage. Talking big damage here

If you do take war caster, still consider resilient con in addition.

Corran
2017-06-23, 01:32 AM
I haven't tried this yet, but I am very fond (at least in theory) of a battlemaster/ arcane trickser build (split of 6/14 or 7/13). It's role is to act as an off-tank, standing next to another melee ally in the frontline, not dancing around the battlefield. Sentinel picked up either @lvl 9 or @ lvl 11 (depending on how much I want to rush it; probably @9 though). BB + cunning action for hit&run is just a back-up option when I want a change of pace in tactics, but as I said, the main role is to stay and fight at the frontline next to a (non-sentinel) melee ally.

ps: Have a look at this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?527853-What-class-makes-the-best-tank) thread. DivisibleByZero details an arcane trickster/ bladesinger build that might interest you (somewhere in the 2nd or 3rd page if I am not mistaken).

pps: Not a fan of a single fighter level dip (although it comes with some advantages -the way I am not a fan if that I dont think stopping at fighter 1 is good, when at 2 you can get action surge, at 3 maneuvres, at 4 a feat, and at 5 extra attack). But if you go with a fighter dip, why not start as a fighter for the better saves (STR and CON is probably the best pair of starting saves) and for the 1 extra hp?

djreynolds
2017-06-23, 02:07 AM
Or even wizard for Int and Wis.

I prefer to have both wis and con saves covered, with a high enough dex and evasion.. you will only take half damage.

Diebo
2017-06-23, 08:45 AM
I would actually recommend a 1-level dip in Knowledge Cleric. It would fit thematically, as you would pick up expertise in Arcana and History.

You get shield and medium armor; you'd probably want to go with breastplate and shield for awhile.

Cleric spells like guidance will help all of your non-combat rolls. Bless will help you in combat, and will help with the concentration saves.

With bless (and if you take a familiar as one of your arcane trickster level 1 spells, the help action) you can probably focus on feats for awhile instead of boosting dexterity. Booming blade doesn't allow multi-attacks or bonus action attacks, so you might as well be using a shield. Take mobile at level 4 rogue and you can use your bonus action to dash instead of disengage for 80 movement. Maybe resilient con at 8. With 16 dexterity, bless, and advantage, you will hit more often than not, and your damage is coming primarily from sneak attack and booming blade.

And in a pinch, you can heal a teammate and get them back in the fight.

If you want to be a real skill monkey, half-elf would give you an extra skill and better stats.

Bonus points if you can convince your DM to waive the martial skill requirement for using a whip. Use a whip, wear a fedora. Carry a hand crossbow for the occasional ranged attack. Wear a leather jacket over your breastplate. For style points you might need to drop the shield.

Specter
2017-06-23, 08:59 AM
Both are worth it.

Wizard 2 is worth it only for the expanded cantrips and spell selection. The school feature and arcane recovery are icing on the cake. Diviner also has great potential towards screwing enemy saves, or guaranteeing your own.

I believe anyone can profit from Fighter. +3 AC and bonus healing speak for themselves, and by picking War Caster you can use Booming Blade for op attacks, for massive effect.