PDA

View Full Version : Cost for a Ring of Greater Evasion?

skywalker
2007-08-05, 02:40 PM
So I already asked about a ring of greater invis, my new question for you sages of the boards is:

What would the market price be for a ring(or other item) that granted continuous greater evasion? What about command word?

Jack_Simth
2007-08-05, 02:57 PM
So I already asked about a ring of greater invis, my new question for you sages of the boards is:

What would the market price be for a ring(or other item) that granted continuous greater evasion?
Well, let's see... a Rogue gets Evasion at 2nd; an item that does the same costs 25,000 gp.

A Rogue can get Improved Evasion at 10th; a difference of a factor of five in levels (10th minimum for Improved Evasion, evasion at 2nd; 2*5=10).

Using normal D&D scaling (squared progression), Improved Evasion requires five times the level of Evasion, so the Ring of Improved Evasion should cost 5*5*(the cost of a ring of Evasion), or 625,000 gp. Edit: Of course, that puts the base price over 200k, so it's an Epic item, with *10 costs, so 6,250,000 gp.

What about command word?
Inapplicable.

Jasdoif
2007-08-05, 03:23 PM
The closest existing effect that I know of is Evade Burst (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/evadeBurst.htm). Now, if a Psychic Warrior was making a use-activated item of the sort, it'd cost...3*5*2000, or 30000gp.

Compared to a ring of evasion, that mean it's 5/6s of the base cost to match. Which is weird, I must admit...but anyway.

If the item in question was made using the augmented form of the power (which is equivalent to improved evasion), the cost would be 3*9*2000, or 54000gp. If you add in the scaling above, and it comes out to 45,00gp.

I discourage allowing an item that grants Improved Evasion in any case, though. It seriously mitigates the impact of having a sub-par Reflex save.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-08-05, 09:57 PM
Since a Ring of Evasion costs 25,000 GP in the DMG for basically duplicating a single feat not normally obtainable to most classes utilizing the Jump spell at CL7 while a simple Ring of Jump only costs 2,500 GP.

Since you normally need Evasion as a prerequisite for Greater Evasion I'd quadruple the price to 100,000 GP erring on being conservative along the line of Rings of Genie Summoning requiring a Gate spell instead of Lesser Planar Ally or Planar Ally or Summon Monster Spells.

For the Command Word: Oops (Evade with 2 syllables is a little to long and might be to late)

Iudex Fatarum
2007-08-06, 01:33 AM
Well on the same note, what would the cost especialy if we made a requirement of having evasion to begin with? What is the use of a ring of evasion if you already have it by class feature?

Jasdoif
2007-08-06, 01:45 AM
What is the use of a ring of evasion if you already have it by class feature?Evasion and Improved Evasion only work while wearing light armor or no armor; a restriction not present on the ring.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-08-06, 01:49 AM
Well on the same note, what would the cost especialy if we made a requirement of having evasion to begin with? What is the use of a ring of evasion if you already have it by class feature?

That should give a standard 30% DMG magic cost reduction for requiring the basic Evasion feat so 70,000 GP market if specifically crafted for that purpose.

A good idea might be to purchase a Ring of Mettle (25,000 GP market probably a good price) for the times you don't make your Evasion save like the Templar PRC feat in Complete Divine or Defenders of the Faith.