PDA

View Full Version : Codzilla?

Yeril
2007-08-05, 03:03 PM
Ive seen the term CoDzilla? or CodZilla? or somthing like that thrown around abit latley, what does it mean?

Whiplord
2007-08-05, 03:05 PM
I'm gonna get Ninja'd, but I'll go ahead and post

CoDzilla stands for Cleric or Druid zilla, referencing those two calsses huge power in most situations.

Dausuul
2007-08-05, 03:08 PM
Ive seen the term CoDzilla? or CodZilla? or somthing like that thrown around abit latley, what does it mean?

CoDzilla is short for "cleric-or-druid-zilla." It refers to a divine caster who uses self-only buffs like divine power, righteous might, et cetera (for clerics) or Wild Shape and Natural Spell (for druids) to outperform fighters in melee. It's the divine caster equivalent of the LogicNinja's Batman wizard; an extremely optimized build that results in non-casters in the same party being more or less dead weight.

Emperor Tippy
2007-08-05, 03:12 PM
TLN's batman wizard isn't particularly optimized though (well not that he can't maek very optimized ones). At least not at the level CoDzilla is.

Yeril
2007-08-05, 03:12 PM
oh

so codzilla is like a level 20 druid talking to a level 20 fighter saying "suuuuure you can outfight me now, but 2 seconds into the battle Im going to turn into a 40ft tall 35 headed pyrohydra with a 105d6 breath attack, 35 bite attacks a round and fast healing 40.

Jack_Simth
2007-08-05, 03:15 PM
I'm gonna get Ninja'd, but I'll go ahead and post

Looks like your augury failed.

CoDzilla stands for Cleric or Druid zilla, referencing those two calsses huge power in most situations.
Well, it usually refers to a Cleric or Druid built and played in a particular type of manner.

The Heal-bot Cleric isn't a CoDzilla. The Party-Buff Cleric isn't a CoDzilla. The Cleric with Divine Metamagic Persistent Spell (Divine Favor (+1 Attack/Damage per 3 caster levels, max +3, min +1), Divine Power (BAB=Character level, +6 Enhancement Strength, 1 temporary HP per caster level), and Righteous Might (+1 Size category, +4 Size to Strength, +2 Size to Con, +2 Natural Armor, and DR based on caster level)), using Magic Vestments to avoid armor costs, and Greater Magic Weapon to avoid weapon costs, is, as he makes the Fighter feel rather useless.

There's shades between, but basically a CoDzilla is a Cleric or Druid built and played in such a way that another group role becomes redundant (most commonly the Fighter, sometimes the Rogue, occasionally the Wizard, even).

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-08-05, 03:16 PM
oh

so codzilla is like a level 20 druid talking to a level 20 fighter saying "suuuuure you can outfight me now, but 2 seconds into the battle Im going to turn into a 40ft tall 35 headed pyrohydra with a 105d6 breath attack, 35 bite attacks a round and fast healing 40."

"And full spellcasting, and an animal companion, and..."

an extremely optimized build that results in non-casters in the same party being more or less dead weight.

Actually, the problem with CoDzillas and Wizards are that you don't have to be extremely optimized to make a noncaster dead weight. The noncaster has to be extremely optimized to even try keeping up with a normal full caster.

mostlyharmful
2007-08-05, 04:30 PM
Actually it's worse than that, you have to actively nerf yourself if you're a full caster should you want other members of the party to feel useful. CoDzilla and Batman aren't builds, they're SPELL SELECTIONS!

Amiria
2007-08-05, 04:32 PM
Was this thread even neccessary ? I mean, CoDzilla is in the Common Acronyms, Abbreviations, and Terms (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18512) stickied thread.

brian c
2007-08-05, 04:39 PM
Actually it's worse than that, you have to actively nerf yourself if you're a full caster should you want other members of the party to feel useful. CoDzilla and Batman aren't builds, they're SPELL SELECTIONS!

Well, CoDzilla for a cleric is kinda a build, as it requires taking Divine Metamagic feat(s). CoDzilla is probably more accurately described as a character archetype.

As for the "batman" wizard, a big part of that is using PrCs to keep full casting progression. Logic Ninja's guide also details what sort of feats one should take, and of course spell selection. Spell selection is arguably the most important part of any Wizard build, since that's what differentiates you from other wizards.

mostlyharmful
2007-08-05, 04:45 PM
CoDzilla and Batman can be optimized with feats and Prestige Cheese but the basic idea is simply about useing the right spells, and both are so overwhealming that it makes no real diference to a meat-shield, I kill you in one round is entirely achievable given just a core class without metamagic with the right spells:smallfrown:

PirateMonk
2007-08-05, 04:47 PM
Well, CoDzilla for a cleric is kinda a build, as it requires taking Divine Metamagic feat(s). CoDzilla is probably more accurately described as a character archetype.

It doesn't necessarily require them, it just helps.

And Natural Spell is required for Dzilla, but it's so obvious that that hardly counts.

Jack_Simth
2007-08-05, 04:51 PM
Well, CoDzilla for a cleric is kinda a build, as it requires taking Divine Metamagic feat(s). CoDzilla is probably more accurately described as a character archetype.You can do it without Divine Metamagic (Druid doesn't have access to that at all), but it's mildly more difficult.

Mostly, though, Without Quicken Spell, or some way to make your buffs last most the day (Divine Meta Magic (Persistent Spell) is the most commonly cited method for the common Cleric-Zilla), it's a lot harder to do the Cleric-Zilla, as you have to sit there spending an action to power up - and at that level, most fights only last one or two rounds; in taking a round to self-buff, you miss half the fight.

The common Druid-Zilla mostly self-buffs by way of Wild Shape (which lasts one hour per class level per use), Greater Magic Fang (at 1 hour/level), and Barkskin (at 10 minutes/level), while buffing the Animal Companion as well (and adding Animal Growth in there). Natural Spell is a fairly key feat so that the Druid doesn't need to end a Wild Shape prematurely.

Droodle
2007-08-05, 04:54 PM
An extremely optimized build that results in non-casters in the same party being more or less dead weight.I'd hardly call the build extremely optimized. Extremely optimal, sure, but you don't need to bend over backwards in order to build CoDzilla. Even in core. To pull it off in core, all a Cleric really needs is Power Attack, Cleave, and maybe extend spell or quicken. If divine metamagic is used, you'll probably want either Divine Persist or Divine Quicken. In my opinion, Divine Quicken is better, since it is really inconvenient to move around with your size has increased by a factor of 5. Divine Quicken is also cheaper as far as the feat cost goes.

When you get down to it, CoDzilla, much like Batman, is really just about the spells you choose to learn and cast.

PirateMonk
2007-08-05, 05:00 PM
When you get down to it, CoDzilla, much like Batman, is really just about the spells you choose to learn and cast.

But not even learn, in the case of CoDzilla.

Hallavast
2007-08-05, 05:08 PM
Looks like your augury failed.

Psh! A divination spell would be more accurate. :smalltongue: