PDA

View Full Version : Celestia's Finest: The Sun Always Rises

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Miltonian
2017-06-23, 04:16 PM
http://img09.deviantart.net/48a9/i/2015/331/d/b/future_city_concept_painting_by_darksoulart-d9i6bmp.jpg

Canterlot, a city of wonders, the capitol of ponykind for centuries, the home of the Royal Sisters, and the very heart of Equestria. Gleaming, metal buildings rise from the plain below Mt. Avalon and tower above the Royal Palace. Flying cars, the play-toys of the rich and famous, carry ponies and goods to and fro. Modern marvels greet the eye, no matter where you look. And yet somehow, they never replaced the cobblestone streets.

They tried to. Oh, they tried. But protesters denounced the “brutalizing of Canterlot’s heritage”. They made such a fuss that, eventually, the cobblestone streets were left as is. The protesters can now proudly trip over loose stones to their hearts content. Besides, few ponies walk on the ground nowadays. There is no need to when all the buildings are interconnected. Huge, steel walkways span the gaps. A few of the larger ones even host small markets and shops. Other enterprising business owners rent out the rooms on either side of these bridges and hawk their wares out of the wind and weather. The prime spots, of course, are near the tourist attractions. Shops near the Palace do good business, no matter what they sell. And of course, those fortunate enough to be right next to the Canterlot branch Rarity's, a line of stores which need no advertisement other than their owner's name, could only fail because of complete incompetence.

But of all the places in the city, the Wonderbolts' Stadium is the most sought-after. Entrance is so hard to get that neighboring buildings make a tidy profit selling space near the windows to watch. Tickets to the stadium itself are sold years in advance for the Canterlot shows, which go beyond displays of aerial acrobatics and also showcase the newest, experimental technology designed for pegasi. How exactly Brazen managed to get all four of the squad tickets is his secret, but the show is well-worth every bit they would have cost. Oddly, the senior captain, Rainbow Dash, did not perform tonight, but the show did not suffer greatly for it. One could say it even went smoother than normal.

However, all good things must come to an end. With a final burst of fireworks and jaunty round of salutes, the Wonderbolts leave the cheering crowd behind and soar off to “The Roost”, their private penthouse at the highest point in Canterlot. A fitting end to the third day of a five-day leave, the first that the EDF's first squad has had since beginning training six months ago. But that is in the past. Now is a time for celebration. Commander Wildcat's orders.

"I don't want you even thinking about the EDF for the next five days," he had growled at them, "Get out of here. Get some rest. You'll need it, because who knows when we'll need you?"

But with the show over, a question appears. What to do now?

DigoDragon
2017-06-23, 04:53 PM
"I wouldn't mind getting away from the crowds for a little bit. Maybe find a quiet little diner somewhere for some food?" Rose suggests.

Elbeyon
2017-06-23, 07:23 PM
Love pulls toward the front of the group when food gets mentioned.

Someone is dressing for that extra sharp edge today. Her semi-white pony coat with a blue tinge blended thoroughly throughout is perfectly combed down. A knee-high fluffy ponytail of light blue and purple hair curves down towards her shoulders. Her V-shaped bangs cover her brows above her glowy amber eyes. A broken, jagged unicorn horn breaks up her hairline. She has two laptop bags at her haunches - her computer, surely in one of them. As usual, she has on flared, long visor-like purple sunglasses with undetectable frames.

She points forward with a hoof like a hound dog on the trail. "Food!" Apparently those two stadium dogs didn't put a dent in her appetite. "We should go somewhere new or extra delicious." Her hoof wipes some imaginary droll from her mouth.

D.KnightSpider
2017-06-23, 09:12 PM
That little show had been much more intriguing than expected. Studying the Wonderbolt's precision, coordination and telementary had been a fascinating exercise. Perhaps one day his unit would be able to function with such perfection. It would be something pleasant to anticipate.

But now was not the time for such thoughts. Sniper Scope covered his mental musings by adjusting his leather jacket's collar. Were it not for the material's different texture, then it would have blended almost perfectly into his midnight pelt.

"There should be little trouble finding a new place in which to dine." Scope opined. "The challenge will be finding something so... extra delicious."

He cast his gaze over the crowd, scanning for potential threats or problems. The motion was so automatic that he would have had to consciously try not to survey their surroundings. He turned his attention back to his comrades.

"But perhaps we should allow Brazen the honor of choosing our destination as a means of saying thanks for the show? Allow me to treat."

DigoDragon
2017-06-23, 11:36 PM
"Yeah, how did you manage those tickets, Brazen?" Rose asked curiously. "You have connections. I could never snatch one myself."

userpay
2017-06-24, 01:49 AM
Brazen can't help but spend at least part of the show looking for something, or somepony, in particular amongst the performing Wonderbolts. Though a happy smile is plastered on his face the entire show regardless. As the show ends and the others begin talking he turns towards them while adjusting his customary cargo vest. "The details of how I might tell of at a later date but as to the why one could say... They were a reward from an angel who saved my flank. Even if I still ended up in a crater..." The large stallion seems to take great amusement in the 'mysteriousness' around the acquisition of the tickets even as his coat twitches at some unpleasant memory.

"As to food well, I ain't to picky about that. Long as there's good booze to go along with it."

Elbeyon
2017-06-24, 03:01 AM
☆Lucky☆ ☆Lucky☆ for me, I knew the stallion that got us into the show." Her eyes twinkle reminiscing about all that fancy new tech and all those amazing stunts. The old brain juice was pouring tonight. That wouldn't be the only juice pouring though.

She commands her phone on, "Ello, Love." A purple AR, augmented reality, screen pops up in her view for those with sharp eyes to spy. The explorer function enters eye tracking so she doesn't have to speak to it too much.

"You treated us. We'll treat you. I'll find you the best sauce this side of town." It's a simple search: Awesome alcohol & a spicy environment. She didn't really care for the stuffy places. Of course, the true challenge was finding a place to dive without a million stadium ponies being there. Someplace sketch might work. A curled smile and a quiet evil chuckle escapes her lips.

I'm fine with anyone moving our location to a place with drinks! :smallbiggrin:

D.KnightSpider
2017-06-24, 08:46 AM
It took Scope a moment longer than necessary to realize that the sauce in question was of the potent variety. He waved a hoof dismissively.

"Since you have found us a destination, Love, then I shall volunteer to be tonight's "designated driver", as it were."

It was his customary position for two reasons. The first was simple self interest: he had no desire to muddle his skills with alcohol. The second was simple preservation: someone needed a clear head to prevent the preventable. He trusted his squadmates to be responsible, but accidents happened.

Miltonian
2017-06-24, 09:24 AM
In but a moment, Love has a hit. Club Canterlot, a place known for having the best drinks in town (including authentic Sweet Apple Acres cider). The only problem was that it would probably be very full soon. The line to get in would be overflowing already, though the bouncers would be turning a lot of ponies away. If she's confident in her skills for sweet-talking, getting in there might be an option. Of course, there's always offering a generous tip if all else fails.

Alternately, there's a dive called Sweet Peaches down near the cobblestone streets that has pretty good reviews. "Lousy service, loud music, great drinks. All you could wish for in a bar!" one pony says. "Don't expect the bartender to ask you 'rough day?' and listen to your life story, but if you just want a drink and a dance with some friends, you can't go wrong here."

DigoDragon
2017-06-24, 09:32 AM
"As to food well, I ain't to picky about that. Long as there's good booze to go along with it."

"As long as it's decent food and in good quantity," Rose says.

Elbeyon
2017-06-24, 03:11 PM
The info gets sent out to everypony's personal devices.

"The Club sounds like the ideal place. The problem is everypony knows it too. Sweet Peaches is more what I want, but I can always explore that option on a less prolific day."

D.KnightSpider
2017-06-25, 06:56 AM
Scope studied the information displayed upon his communications link-- pausing only once to dismiss a rather persistent message alert. Decades of technological advancement still had yet to solve the problem of spam email.

Club Canterlot was a strict fit for his squad's criteria. Especially, the desire for the best drinks in town and the quality of the food; but it's greater popularity made entrance questionable. Sweat Peaches' proximity to the lowest points of the city was questionable, but shouldn't introduce any danger they could not avoid so long as they were careful. He was always careful.

"Sweet Peaches does, indeed, seem the better compromise. Shall we depart, ladies and gentlecolts?" He asked.

I'm good to move on if everyone else is.

DigoDragon
2017-06-25, 07:19 AM
"I think Peaches is the better site. It'll be less crowded." Rose looks ready to move on in that direction.

userpay
2017-06-25, 10:04 AM
"Sounds like it's decided then." Brazen paws at the ground. "Time to get us some Peaches!"

Miltonian
2017-06-25, 10:43 AM
Descending deep into the depths of the city, where Celestia's sun rarely shines and the light comes mostly from streetlamps and neon signs, the four ponies quickly find their way to Sweet Peaches. Canterlot's new and improved automated map system guides the way through winding streets, filled with ponies either finishing up their errands for the day or headed out to dinner and for some fun, and past dark alleys. This area is still in the Palace District, the safest area of the city, but keeping an eye out is second nature to any member of the guard and especially so for the elite of the EDF. But it's not like any thieves would be foolish enough to attack in the middle of a crowd.

Sweet Peaches is exactly as advertised: a combination restaurant and bar that focuses mostly on the bar. The food is decent enough. Nothing five-star, but the hayburgers are juicy and the fruit is sweet. A short stage sits in the corner of the room, where an earth pony mare gives a spirited rendition of Bon Poni's "Lay your Hooves on Me". (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-eApzhqTVc) The rest of the staff are cordial, but they are here to deliver food and make sure no fights break out, not chat.

Brazen's comm dings.

userpay
2017-06-25, 12:37 PM
"Ha! Looks like this place fits our sense of style just fine." Brazen says as they enter the Peach. Truly given Club Canterlot's likely posher decor the mildly rough looking earth pony probably would have stuck out like a sore thumb. His comm dinging draws a raised eyebrow from Brazen but a look at who it's from prompts a grin and a reply as they get seats.

DigoDragon
2017-06-25, 01:21 PM
"The hayburgers looks really good." Rose sits down eagerly to order.

D.KnightSpider
2017-06-25, 01:44 PM
"This place most definitely has character... with both the sights and smells." Sniper Scope remarked.

It was a generous assessment, but, then, he could now afford to be generous. The check would be significantly less voluminous here than elsewhere. And Brazen Hoof was correct, they were far more Sweet Peaches clientele than Club Canterlot.

He quietly made certain to be seated, where he could see, be seen and intervene without obstacle or climbing over another pony.

Elbeyon
2017-06-25, 07:08 PM
Love takes a seat near Sniper Scope. He seemed more picky about the seats than her so she relented to her second choice "Yeah. I like it." Her shoulders become overly expressive and move to the beat for a couple of seconds.

Cupping her mouth, she orders the earth pony to "Crank up the beats!"

Hey, the hayburgers did look good. The fruit didn't seem half bad either.

Amongst the ordering she asked, "Lens." (She was still trying to one of her horrible nicknames to stick.) "What did you think of the flyers tonight? Any of that tech spark your brain?"

Miltonian
2017-06-25, 10:44 PM
With a stirring flourish, the mare finishes her song. Chest heaving, she bows and hands the mic off to the next singer. To the crowds’ delight, she descends from the stage and seems to be headed in the general direction of the EDF, but a group of young stallions call her by name and she goes to them instead. They begin to talk and laugh with each other. She’ll probably occupy their attention for the rest of the night.

A world-weary waiter comes up. “Hello. Name’s Sunshine. Yes, I know the name is ironic. No, I don't particularly feel like smiling. Now, if that's everything, what’ll you be...” His eyes fall on Partial Charge and he falters. "--Be hav-ing...um...are you alright, ma'am? You look a bit, er...I mean your horn is..." He flushes. "It's none of business. Drinks! Food! Ha-ha. I'll shut up now and take your orders." He looks particularly eager to avoid looking directly at Love and focuses on the other three, especially Rose.

Brazen gets another text as well.

userpay
2017-06-25, 10:58 PM
Brazen starts to type up another message though gives the waiter a sidelong look as Partial causes him to stumble. Yet it seems Sunshine manages to catch himself before sticking his hoof to far in his mouth. "A round of cider for certain I think, and I'll take a hayburger myself..." Going back to the text as the others order.

Elbeyon
2017-06-26, 01:23 AM
Love claps and cheers for the first signing pony, a usual round of applause. The interest in her dropping off as the singer busy's herself with her evening elsewhere.

She paid no mind to the waiter focusing on her horn. Though she does give Sunshine a bemused smirk to show she has no hard feelings about it. The horn has been gone for a long time. It missing is a part of her identity now, and as long as no pony means harm in their actions she has no problem with the odd stare or whisper. The fact that the horn is missing on her synthetic androids too has to mean something.

"A round of cider sounds good," she confirms. "I'd like the nastiest, spiciest hayburger you'd be kind enough to whip up. I want to feel some fire tomorrow. And, I'd like a bowl of fruit. Not a single bad apple - make it all fresh bites and the bits will be worth your effort."

DigoDragon
2017-06-26, 05:30 AM
"I'll take a double-hayburger. Hold the cheese though," Rose says. After Love's attention about her horn, Rose instinctively lowers her forelegs off the table for now.

D.KnightSpider
2017-06-26, 06:14 AM
Lens? Scope's right eyebrow rose slightly... was that supposed to be some form of new swear word? He wasn't familiar with it.

The arrival of their startlingly misnamed waiter kept him from asking. Fortunately, this was old ground for Love, although not every pony was as at ease with the situation.

"Hold one brew. I shall take water instead." He meant it when he said that he would be the sober one at night's end. "An oat salad and a second double hayburger without cheese."

DigoDragon
2017-06-26, 06:28 AM
"Ooh, that does sound good. Make it two oat salads," Rose adds, her glutenous side starting to show.

Miltonian
2017-06-26, 09:28 AM
"Three ciders, a regular hayburger, one spicy deluxe, two doubles without cheese, two oat salads, and a bowl of fresh fruit," he repeats back, "Should be out in twenty minutes. If not, you can partake in the proud, Sweet Peaches tradition of walking back and yelling at the cooks. Actually, please don't. They yell back and then somepony's food gets burnt and everypony has a bad night."

He steps smartly away from the table and takes the order back to the kitchen. The new band has finished fine-tuning their instruments and struck up a "song of our own composition" which, truly, defies description. Discordant Harmony, they call it. And it lives up to the Discord part.

The ponies closest to the stage are regretting their decision.

DigoDragon
2017-06-26, 10:05 AM
Rose makes a momentary grimace at the cacophony when it hits her ears. "Well... still better than I would be. I think."

userpay
2017-06-26, 10:40 AM
Brazen finally stows his communicator after a few more messages. "Well... Music like that comes with the dives sometimes. On another note I've got somewhere for us to visit after we eat if everyone's up for it."

D.KnightSpider
2017-06-26, 10:56 AM
Fortunately, 'acceptable music' had not been on anyone's list of requirements, otherwise their choice of locale would have been a dismal failure. Sniper Scope nodded to Brazen.

"Indeed. Fortunately, our time is our own; I have nowhere else to be."

He then turned to Love. Earlier, she had initiated a conversation that he somewhat wished to revisit.

"In answer to your earlier question, Love. I felt that the Wonderbolts have set a high standard for unit performance; it is easy to see why they are the best of their field. I am rather pleased that Commander Dash was not present. It gave me a chance to see their natural abilities as opposed to their supernatural.

"Their technology was both interesting but... ultimately unnecessary." He waved a cybernetic hoof dismissively.

DigoDragon
2017-06-26, 11:23 AM
Rose's ears twitched upon hearing Scope's mention of the tech being unnecessary part. "How so unnecessary?" Rose asked curiously.

D.KnightSpider
2017-06-26, 12:35 PM
"Unnecessary," Scope repeated. "but beneficial. What truly matters is not technology, but skill.

"Take our waiter, Sunshine, give him all the technology possible and put him on the field with the Wonderbolts. Will he perform as a Wonderbolt? Non. He has not their skill.

"What makes us the best of the best is not that we are trusted with the best technology, but that we are skilled at using the technology. Technology is but a tool, it is not the soldier."

DigoDragon
2017-06-26, 12:59 PM
"You sound like my psychiatrist," Rose says with an amused little smile. Her face slowly returns to neutral as she looks at her own cybernetic hoof. "Not that you don't have a point. I'm not thrilled at the idea of drones trying to replace the city guard."

userpay
2017-06-26, 02:26 PM
"Right?" Brazen snorts. "Not that drones don't have their uses but I'd much rather hand out battlesuits or similar heavy equipment than outright place ponies."

Elbeyon
2017-06-26, 02:30 PM
Love nods along with Scope to Brazen. There were too many unanswered questions for her taste. She didn't like being unknowingly chauffeured around. She got enough of that at work.

She couldn't help it - her face waded up in disapproval at Scope's position. Calming herself, she says, "Skill's important. I agree. Without Rose's knowledge her tools would let's just say: be less effective. Still, I can hardly imagine her skill would be noteworthy without her tools. I'd take a good surgeon with modern tools over the best with outdated equipment."

"Heck, I wouldn't even be here without this." She puts a hoof on her chest. "This drone allows me to function. I would be infirm without it. The best are only the best with their tools. I don't think you can separate them so easily."

Miltonian
2017-06-26, 05:02 PM
After less than two minutes of playing, the band is booed from the stage, much to the relief of everypony involved. Next up is a bright-eyed colt in a sailor's shirt who might be just a little young to be in a place like this who gives a rip-roaring rendition of "My Last Night in Baltimare (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlmjO_dm474)". This song is much better received and, by the end of it, a lot of tables are ordering another round of cider and other drinks.

A nearby screen (a nearly ubiquitous invention that replaced the old televisions) suddenly switches from the sports channel to a 'Breaking News' segment. The sound is impossible to hear over the cacophony, but the scrolling text below reads "Royal Stream canceled. Fans in an uproar. Is this an early sign of some crisis?" The gist of it seems to be that Princess Luna canceled her nightly gaming stream without giving a reason why except that, "Something important hath come up," and ponies are wondering what it could be.

DigoDragon
2017-06-26, 05:11 PM
Rose found herself nodding in agreement with Love, but she still had some agreement with Scope. Really, both ponies had their strong points which weren't necessarily exclusive with one--

The change on the screen has Rose curious. "I admit I don't watch much of Princess Luna's game stream. How bad a sitch is it if she cancels?"

D.KnightSpider
2017-06-26, 09:54 PM
"Heck, I wouldn't even be here without this." She puts a hoof on her chest. "This drone allows me to function. I would be infirm without it. The best are only the best with their tools. I don't think you can separate them so easily."

"Ah, but if you will allow me to play Sombra's advocate--" The point was lost as a hubbub swept the restaurant.

Scope tilted his head to better serve the interrupting screen. He frowned. First Rainbow Dash and now Princess Luna? It could just be coincidence. But he'd bet otherwise. He hated coincidence.

Sniper Scope turned to Rose and admitted: "I am not quite certain. To be entirely honest, I know so little that I am not fully certain how she manages to stream her games of a night and still protect citizens from her dreams."

Elbeyon
2017-06-27, 02:59 AM
Both thesis laid to bare. A sensor of familiarity was present. She's had a lot of dinners fade into morning coffee talking tech, but her mind wasn't in gear yet. She gave a longing glance toward the kitchen. Her stomach about to cause a fit and rebel against her brain. A couple mindful encouraging nods is all she managed toward Scope before the news interrupted their dinner.

Love pulled her AR up and started hitting the big social media sites. "It's real bad. Luna NEVER cancels her streams unless her presence is specifically required."

DigoDragon
2017-06-27, 05:28 AM
"So this must be something serious..." Rose looks around the place to see what kind of reactions other ponies are giving.

Miltonian
2017-06-27, 10:13 AM
The social media sites are already abuzz with rumors and worry. In the modern age, the only thing that moves faster than light is paranoia. Some ponies are already predicting the fall of Equestria, the return of Sombra, another corvid invasion, or any number of doomsday scenarios. The patrons of Sweet Peaches aren't too riled up yet. A little concerned, perhaps, and warily watching the news. And to the credit of the staff, they move about with the same dedication as before. Sunshine brings the round of cider (and water) and a few minutes later comes back with the food. It arrives just in time for another news flash to light up on all the screens this time.

"Applejack reported missing." A picture of a small, brown-coated colt who doesn't even have his cutie mark yet appears onscreen next to the orange mare. "Relative Apple Pie, who lives with her, called the police two hours ago when she wasn't home in time for dinner."

The social media sites light up like a tree at Hearth's Warming.

userpay
2017-06-27, 11:48 AM
Brazen's upbeat attitude gradually darkens as news of one pony's disappearance after the other comes up on the news. "This certainly don't seem right. How many bits you want to bet we'll get recalled from leave early?" He taps a hoof absentmindedly. "Hmmm... Maybe our after dinner visit will end up being business rather than pleasure... Get some info on the potential situation."

DigoDragon
2017-06-27, 12:18 PM
"Well, no soldier won a battle on an empty stomach!" Rose lifts her hayburger with her levitation magic and chows down without delay. Mmmm.

D.KnightSpider
2017-06-27, 12:23 PM
"Now would be a very, very good time to get in front of this situation. Start suppressing the news of other royals' locations or produce an Element of Harmony to calm the masses." Scope informed some non-existent companions from the public relations ministry.

He shook his head, pushed the hayburger aside and picked at the salad. There was no reason not to indulge in the fruit of his purchases, after all. One could never be certain when such indulgences could be again had.

He turned to Brazen and said: "I hesitate to assume that much of this situation, although it may be probable. Would you care to enlighten us with what you know?"

userpay
2017-06-27, 01:23 PM
"Well it was going to be a surprise... But the person that I got the tickets from and were going to pay a visit to after we eat is a Wonderbolt. Given the news at the moment I figured we could inquire about Rainbow Dash while we were there since she wasn't at the display."

DigoDragon
2017-06-27, 01:39 PM
"Wiff Wonerbot?" Rose mumbles between bites of her burger. She takes a swig of the cider and then starts on the oat salad.

Elbeyon
2017-06-27, 06:17 PM
Love moves the fruit bowl closer to her. She puts an apple spinning on a hoof and starts mowing it down like corn on the cob. Finishing in quick order, she asks as she prepares the next apple. "Do you think this will be our first job? We really haven't done much yet... besides training." Her voice more matter of fact than intimidated.

D.KnightSpider
2017-06-27, 09:30 PM
"Potentially. Let us remember that we have little data upon which to base our calculation. There are many situations which may warrant the full attention of our rulers and would not require our talents."

Out of habit, Sniper Scope quickly scanning the room for threats. Then he turned his attention back to his salad. Surprisingly, it wasn't bad.

"Be that as it may, there is a reason I am not taking Brazen's bet. And you have my apologies, Brazen, I did not intend to ruin your surprise."

Miltonian
2017-06-27, 09:55 PM
The news reports keep piling in, coming in no particular order and without rhyme or reason, making them very hard to interpret. After a few minutes, a changeling newspony comes on and begins trying to put them in order. He straightens his green tie (the perfect match for his gleaming carapace) and clears his throat. "Good evening, Canterlot!" he says with a beaming smile, "We at Newsbiz make it our first priority to present the news as accurately and fairly as possible. Therefore, allow me to clarify the current situation."

"Captain Rainbow Dash of the Wonderbolts took a scheduled leave of absence from all military and athletic duties today. Applejack boarded a train to Canterlot this morning and arrived at the palace before noon. Dame Rarity also scheduled today as a day off from her normal duties and business ventures. Our correspondent in Ponyville reports that Fluttershy has not yet returned home and took the same train as Applejack. Pinkie Pie also scheduled today as a day off, but did not appear at a party she was supposed to host this evening. And Princess Twilight's whereabouts are, as always, classified."

"A number of theories have been advanced about the how and why behind this seeming disappearance. It would seem that this was a planned event, but that something is preventing our heroes from returning. We can only--Hold on. Mares and gentlecolts, we have received word that Princess Celestia will be addressing the nation in a few minutes. Please standby while we establish contact."

A few minutes turns out to be ten seconds later. The first member of the Equestrian diarchy appears onscreen, a warm smile on her face like a dearly beloved mother or grandmother. She looks directly at the camera with eyes so filled with wisdom and compassion that, even across the digital vacuum, they command respect and the utmost attention. And as always, her royal regalia is polished to perfection. Not a mote of dust ever finds a home there nor is a single hair of her coat or mane out of place.

"My dear little ponies," she says, "There is no cause to panic. The Elements of Harmony are on a mission to preemptively resolve a minor issue that might, if left unchecked, have one day threatened Equestria. The mission is a simple one, but as you can tell, it is taking more time than we initially thought. Rest assured that there is no reason to panic. We are all safe and the Elements will return in a couple of days once the situation is resolved. Again, please do not panic. I will address you again when the appropriate time comes, but for now go back to your homes and spend a nice, quiet evening with your families. Our best ponies are on the case."

A chime sounds on all four members of the EDF's comms. A simple message from Commander Wildcat. "This is it, colts. Time to shine. Come to HQ. You'll receive briefing there."

DigoDragon
2017-06-27, 10:01 PM
Rose makes a visible pout, cheeks still puffed with food. She swallows and gulps down another bit from her mug. "Well, it was fun while it lasted."

Elbeyon
2017-06-27, 10:15 PM
Love lunges at an apple and rips half of it off with her teeth and guzzles it down. A few parts of the sweet collect around her mouth. "Yeah. Sorry Brazen. We might not get to meet your friend at all. Another loss avoided." She mockingly crackles with her hooves up in front of her. "I was about to take a losing bet."

"I'll call up a car." A bit stick lands on the table to pay for her meal.

D.KnightSpider
2017-06-27, 11:25 PM
Ah, the universe did so love proving him wrong. Sniper Scope chose to reflect upon that fact rather than the wondrous display of fine dining being set before him. His mother had always said that nothing was more disgusting than watching others eat... he just wished that the universe didn't have to keep proving her right.

He quietly began packaging the remains of his meal, the spare hayburger, and any other sundry items upon which he could place his hooves.

A frown briefly passed over his face as a bit stick hit the table... Best not to make an issue of it. He signaled their waiter with one hoof, while the other dipped into his pocket to retrieve necessary coinage to pay for the rest of the meal.

DigoDragon
2017-06-28, 05:33 AM
Rose follows suit to pay for her meal. "On the bright side, seems like we'll still be meeting a wonderbolt anyway."

Miltonian
2017-06-28, 09:40 AM
Sunshine nimbly scoops up the payment and returns with receipts. "Thank you, come again!" he says, more by habit than anything. The food was good, though, and most of the music. Sweet Peaches was exactly as advertised and nothing more.

A cab swings by in short order. Fitting four ponies in is going to be a bit tight, but it's manageable. They are designed to fit up to three griffons, after all. The driver is an old diamond dog with jowls that sag low over his mouth and a muzzle that has gone from dark brown to snow-white. "Where to?" he says in a gruff, no-nonsense voice.

Most cars don't need drivers anymore, at least inside the city. The Canterlot Network, which links together all electronic devices in the city, can safely plot a course through the densest parts of traffic. However, sometimes there is a malfunction. Other times, there is an opportunity. For both cases, having a good driver ready and willing to take over is well worth the extra cost.

userpay
2017-06-28, 10:26 AM
Brazen chows down as the news continues to ramble onward, finishing his last bite just as their comms chime. "Cwaalled iit." He mutters through a mouthful of food before finally swallowing. "We could always say we were farther away than we expected... Naw he probably has us bugged one way or another..." As the others pack up his sends off another text dejectedly and brings up the rear on the way out. To the driver he relays the coordinates for them to get back to base, whether that was directly there or at a pick up point as appropriate for regulations.

DigoDragon
2017-06-28, 10:30 AM
Rose squishes herself in the back seat, attempting not to take up much space even though she's full of food.

D.KnightSpider
2017-06-28, 11:16 AM
It wasn't the easiest of fits, especially due to his wings. But Sniper Scope was no stranger to confined spaces. He shrank himself into his seat as much as possible with the pile of leftovers squarely in his lap.

"It won't be long now, soon we shall be on the field as we were meant to be."

Miltonian
2017-06-28, 05:10 PM
The moment the cab pulls up at the gate, the guard whisks Harrier Squad inside and they are practically shoved inside one of the new VTOL Rainboom Transports, the latest VTOL to come from Canterlot Aeronautics. Before they are even strapped in, the craft takes off and speeds them up to the very top of Mt. Avalon, where the entrance to a secure military bunker descends into the depths below the city. Numerous security checks, a long elevator ride, and a few minutes to get into their uniforms later, they are ushered into the most secure room in Equestria: Celestia’s personal war-room.

The moment the door opens, a loud argument comes to a screeching halt. All eyes turn to look at them, eyes that belong to the most powerful military ponies in all Equestria. The guard captian of the Royal Guard, a neocorn mare named Tower Shield, sits across from General War Monger of the Lunar Guard. Aides to both bustle and move around the room at will. Commander Wildcat sits towards the end of table, near the door, and is the lowest-ranked pony sitting at the table. Captain Red Tape, his aide, nods in greeting. The commander says nothing, but gives the four new arrivals a stiff nod and a glare for those who look at him too long. He subtly thrusts his head towards the far side of the room, where the most important ponies in the room stands.

There are five seats at the head of the table. In the center sits Princess Celestia. Several empty cups of coffee lay piled on the table in front of her, but she still looks more tired than regal. To her right is Luna, who looks annoyed and anxious. On her left is Cadence, who looks like she might have been crying at one point but is now the picture of cool calm. On Cadence’s left is Flurry Heart, who is leaning her head on a hoof and idly stacking sugar cubes on top of each other.

On Luna’s right is an empty seat, where Twilight Sparkle would normally sit. It’s a fair guess that this is not some small situation that got a little out of hand.

General War Monger breaks the silence. “Who’re these ponies and how did they get in here?” the batpony says, eyes narrowing and baring his fangs.

Commander WIldcat clears his throat. “Commanders, princesses, allow me to introduce my proposal to solve our problem. Meet Harrier Squad, the first combat-ready unit of the EDF. Harrier Squad! Stand at attention and sound off!”

Celestia winces at his raised voice and puts a hoof to her head. “Not so loud please, Commander.” She looks over the four ponies and smiles. “Please do tell us your names. I don’t believe I’ve had the pleasure of meeting you all in person before.”

D.KnightSpider
2017-06-28, 08:57 PM
To be this close to those in power was... interesting. Perhaps that was the best, or only, word to describe it. Sniper Scope felt a vague twinge of dark interest at seeing the less than perfect side of these royals. It was a far cry from the romanticized picture they always presented to the rest of the world.

He snapped to attention and gave a salute.

"Sniper Scope, your highness." He hesitated for a moment. Reason' s demand that he keep silent crumbled beneath the might of his ego. "I am probably the greatest sniper in the world."

DigoDragon
2017-06-28, 09:20 PM
"Rose Croix, your highness," she followed, also in salute. "Combat field surgeon."

Elbeyon
2017-06-28, 10:11 PM
Love gives a stiff salute. "Partial "Love" Charge! Computer specialist!"

Perfectly professional. There were no flaws in her presentation. Expect:

On her chest in AR a few lines of text explode into fireworks, "❤Particle ☆Love☆ Charge!❤
MoonMistress! I'm your biggest fan!"

Her eyes dart center and toward Luna repeatedly as she checks the Alicorn's attention.

userpay
2017-06-29, 02:18 AM
This didn't bode well... But then this was their chance to show everypony what they were made of. Attempting to keep his mind off the neocorn in the room Brazen instead focuses on the princesses and snaps a salute. "Brazen Hoof, close combat specialist and demolitionist. At your service!"

Miltonian
2017-06-29, 09:41 AM
A few eyebrows, including Luna's, go up at Love's AR display. The princess seems more amused than anything. it pulled her from whatever thoughts were running through her head and gave her a reason to really pay attention to the four ponies in the room. Red Tape's lips quirk upwards just a little, but he clears his throat and places a cup of coffee in front of Commander Wildcat to cover it up.

"I wish we could have met under more pleasant circumstances," Celestia said. Her horn glows and four more chairs scoot up to the table next to her and the other princesses. "Come, sit. Do you drink tea? Silver Service, what tea do we have?"

General War Monger coughed loudly.

"Ah, forgive me," Celestia said, "But there is no time for pleasantries. Today is...today is a disaster."

"To put it lightly," Luna muttered. Celestia nodded. "Today was the last day of the villainous Queen Chrysalis' sentence," the princess of the night continued, "She hath been a thorn in Equestria's side ever since Cadence's first wedding. We had thought her safely contained. We hath been proven horribly wrong."

"Today, the Elements of Harmony gathered to reform her," Celestia said, "As they have done with so many others. But, things did not go...well, we have the security footage, correct?"

"It doth not disappear after being played but once, sister," Luna said.

"Then, show them," Celestia ordered. A screen unfolded in the corner of the room and played the events of the Element's arrival and Chrysalis' seeming death and resurrection.

"You shouldn't have done that," the changeling queen cackles. Celestia pauses the video.

"How...familiar are you with the history of the Changeling race?" she asks delicately.

DigoDragon
2017-06-29, 01:16 PM
"How...familiar are you with the history of the Changeling race?" she asks delicately.

"Only what's taught in school, your highness," Rose answers.

userpay
2017-06-29, 02:36 PM
"Same here..." Brazen rubs the back of his head.

Miltonian
2017-06-29, 02:59 PM
"That is not entirely comforting," Celestia says, "Suffice it to say that Chrysalis was the queen of the changelings before they discovered their current forms. Back then, they were creatures who fed on the love one being had for another. Ponies were their primary targets during those years. However, due to the bravery and kind nature of one named Thorax and his friendship with Twilight's assistant, Spike, the truth behind their condition was revealed and they transformed into the pleasant creatures we know and love today."

She clears her throat. "Chrysalis never transformed. For years we held out hope that she would see the joy and happiness her people now had and turn away, but that was naive foolishness on our part. Only when she killed Starlight Glimmer, Twilight's first personal student, and tried to take her place did we realize the full extent of her depravity. To keep her contained, I personally ordered the creation of Tartarus Station, the most secure prison in this world and beyond it. It serves as a holding facility for all those creatures deemed too dangerous to roam free and it kept her contained for the duration of her sentence."

She sighs. "Then this happened. The Elements did not reform her. They made her stronger. And now we have a...situation. Captain, please play the rest of the tape."

Playback initiated

“You shouldn’t have done that.”

Rainbow Dash and Applejack reacted instantly. Applejack tackled Rarity and Twilight to the ground behind the nearest cover, a sturdy, metal desk. Rainbow Dash snatched up Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy and took shelter up in the pipes and wires of the ceiling.

Then, the heroes of Equestria prepared for a fight. Twilight’s eyes glowed and her horn lit up with arcane might. The pouches strapped to Rarity’s side opened and fine-cut gems floated out. They fit neatly together in the shape of a long, elegant rapier. Pinkie Pie’s party cannon appeared from the same place that lost socks go when they disappear in the wash.

“Loyalty never gives in!” Rainbow Dash shouted. The steel band around her neck glowed red. A suit of armor, tailor-made to her specifications and colored sky-blue, appeared on her body. A rocket launcher folded out and aimed right at Chrysalis’ cell. “Locking on,” a deep, robotic voice said in Dash’s ear.

It’s a commonly accepted fact that pegasi cannot master magic, though a few exceptions do exist. However, that does not mean they cannot use magic items, so long as the trigger is something they can perform. For instance, saying a somewhat cheesy catchphrase.

“Honesty’s the best policy,” Applejack stated, for similar purposes. A huge, bulky suit of orange power armor appeared on her, in essence transforming her into a walking tank. A turret mounted on the back swiveled and locked onto the changeling queen. The whine of a motor signalled the electromagnets that powered it preparing to fire.

Then, Fluttershy and Happy Hooves threw themselves in front of their guns.

“Cancel lock! Cancel lock!” Dash shouted.

“Cancelling lock,” her suit responded.

“Fluttershy, Happy get out of the way!” Twilight shouted.

The Fluttershy turned toward her friends with a smile that was both entirely out of place and yet still Fluttershy. “No, I don’t think I will,” she said. Her eyes flashed green. “After all.” Chrysalis’s voice joined hers in an eerie echo. “You’re not being very ‘kind’, are you, my old friends?”

“What’d you do to Fluttershy?” Dash demanded. Chrysalis and Fluttershy laughed and their eyes fixed on Rainbow Dash.

“The same thing I’ll do to everypony,” they said, and Happy joined them, “Those that survive. Now, drop your weapons and surrender.”

“Not. A. Chance,” Applejack growled, “Ya’ll can’t block every angle with one pony. Your flank's too big and we’ve got very good aim.”

Happy drew a knife and held it to Fluttershy’s neck. The five mares gasped and moved as one to stop her. They pulled up short when Happy pressed it harder and a thin line of blood appeared on their friend’s neck. Fluttershy smirked.

“Lay down your weapons,” Chrysalis said through her, “Or your weak-willed friend here dies.”

For a moment, the Elements stood frozen. Then, Rarity let her sword fall to the ground. One by one, they disarmed and stood before Chrysalis, eyes burning with impotent fury.

The queen smiled. “Today is a good day.” Her eyes flared and the Elements cried out in pain. Chrysalis glanced towards the camera and smiled, fangs bared. “Wouldn’t you say, Celestia?”

end playback

"Your mission," Celestia says quietly, "Is to save the Elements of Harmony."

The room is silent for a long moment as every eye studies the reactions of the four members of the EDF.

Elbeyon
2017-06-29, 10:06 PM
Love waits for the commander to speak up. She didn't want to break the chain of command; however, she can only wait so long. She speaks up, "If I have permission to speak freely." She looks at the commander for approval before continuing.

"Cutting the griffin patties, early promises guaranteeing success... The EDF is Commander Wildcat's baby. That we're even here means that the Commander has confidence in our success. And, I have confidence in that and us. The Elements of Harmony are something special. No one can deny that. The thing is that we're special too." She points her hoof to her cutie mark. "We're special forces. We trained by the best to do what we do. And, this is what Harrier Squad does."

D.KnightSpider
2017-06-29, 10:07 PM
So the Elements had come undone by their own gentleness as it were. The entire situation was both disconcerting and excillerating. Disconcerting in that some of the greatest warriors in Equestria had been so effortlessly taken down. Excillerating in that this was a clear and present opportunity to establish himself.

One thing was clear, however, come hail or high water, he was not leaving this room without a copy of that tape. There was far too much potential intelligence for one viewing.

"It shall be done." Sniper Scope answered. What more needed to be said?

DigoDragon
2017-06-29, 10:13 PM
"How long ago was that event?" Rose asks. "And how many ponies are stationed up there?"

Elbeyon
2017-06-29, 10:20 PM
Love looks to Rose in the affirmative. "Yeah. We need briefed. Whatever documents, maps, personal reports you can share would be helpful. It's still our station up in the sky."

Miltonian
2017-06-29, 10:54 PM
Love waits for the commander to speak up. She didn't want to break the chain of command; however, she can only wait so long. She speaks up, "If I have permission to speak freely." She looks at the commander for approval before continuing.

"Permission granted," Luna grunts. Commander Wildcat nods approvingly at her.

"How long ago was that event?" Rose asks. "And how many ponies are stationed up there?"

The others in the room shift uncomfortably.

"400 prisoners, 500 guards," Cadence says softly, speaking for the first time, "And 78 of those were changelings. Eight hours ago, around noon, when Chrysalis did...whatever she did to Twilight and the others, every changeling on the station stopped what they were doing, grabbed weapons, and began attacking their fellow guards. With their natural shapeshifting abilities, it was chaos." She clears her throat. "Here, I will send the files to you. And the prisoner manifest. Please just..." She bites her lip and the EDF's comms all ping. "Save my sister and her friends."

"All guards are vetted," Luna says, "And all art loyal. We suspect foul play. To worsen things, one of the newfangled destroyers moved to assist when the trouble began. When it was yet a mile away, all the changelings aboard also turned. The ship crashed into the station and inflicted massive casualties to both crews. One of the cell blocks hath been entirely destroyed. Power is offline. Comms are down. We cannot get a status update on either vessel. The situation grows ever worse the longer we wait."

"Yes." Celestia summoned another cup of coffee. "There is little time. You will have to be fully brought up to speed en-route. Who knows what Chrysalis has already accomplished up there? It will take more than skill. It will take bravery and courage. And strength beyond that of most ponies." She smiles. "But you are not most ponies. We will put our faith in you."

Despite the situation, Commander Wildcat has to hide a wide grin.

userpay
2017-06-30, 02:18 AM
The silence from Brazen is stony as he contemplates the last of the tape, then the information following several queries and comments from the others. "Well, ah did say close quarters combat was my specialty and this seems right up my alley. Will there be chances for resupply or ah bulwark otherwise made in the insertion point? Need somewhere for friendlies to gather even if changelings throw ah kink in that." He scratches his jaw. "Ain't to surprising that she managed to come up with something in the time she was imprisoned... Just gotta find the best way to vet who we meet so we don't end up with ah bullet in our back." Why did they think having changelings on the same station as their queen would be a good idea...? It was not a question Brazen wanted to pose outloud. Perhaps later when they were alone with Wildcat.

D.KnightSpider
2017-06-30, 05:51 AM
"A vetting method would be most helpful," Sniper Scope agreed. This time, he was smart enough to keep the rest of his thought unspoken: since our only other option would be to assume everyone is a hostile and respond accordingly.

"I am also requesting a copy of that security tape and a psychological profile of Queen Chrysalis."

DigoDragon
2017-06-30, 07:07 AM
"Any medical records would be helpful to identify friendlies from foes," Rose says, "But we are ready to leave immediately and be briefed on the way, your highness."

Miltonian
2017-06-30, 11:03 PM
Commander Wildcat leaps to his hooves. "Harrier Squad, we have our orders. Let's get a move on and get to the hangar." He can't contain his grin. "I promise you, your majesties, they won't let you down."

"They had better not," War Monger warns, "If this fails, you're sunk, Wildcat." The two stallions glare at each other from across the table.

Celestia clears her throat and draws their attention to her, defusing the situation. "One final thing, Harrier Squad," she said, "As far as our analysts can tell, the changelings are under Chrysalis's mind control. They are still citizens of Equestria and to be treated as such. You will be provided with..." She hesitates. "Electric laser guns..."

"Electrolasers," Luna corrects.

Celestia ignores her. "With which to combat them. Please take all necessary steps to insure no loss of life."

Wildcat does not look particularly pleased with this, but salutes. "My team can handle anything, princess," he assures her. Pivoting smartly on his hooves, he marches out the door. Red Tape follows behind him.

Once out of earshot of the room, he turns to them. His grin covers his entire face. "Well, can't say I wished for something like this to happen. That'd be downright unpatriotic. But I'm right glad it waited until after we finished your training." A cigar finds its way into his mouth. "Charge, we're sending a team by to collect you, the real you. You're going to have to be aboard the ship for this one. Star Chaser'll keep you both safe. Too much danger of comms being cut off if Chrysalis gets to the control room before the Guard does. The rest of you'll find your gear's already loaded when we arrive. Sending you all the full briefing now. Read over it on the way. Ask any questions you want. I'm in a good mood right now, so I'll answer 'em or Red Tape here'll find the answer for you."

userpay
2017-07-01, 12:31 AM
Non-lethal kit... It wasn't surprising but it was still going to throw a wrench into things given the potential chaos they were about to descend into. "It shall be done." Brazen snaps off a salute before the group leaves the room.

"Yea ah got one... Who thought it was ah good idea to put changelings on the same station as their ex-queen?" Brazen did not seem happy at all about that apparent oversight. "Furthermore... Ah don't suppose we have ah way of disabling Rainbow Dash's and Applejack's armor? Gonna be mighty hard to disable them with the kit we're entering with. And ah take it the prisoners are to be dispatched non-lethally to?"

Miltonian
2017-07-01, 12:54 AM
"Straight to the point then," Wildcat grunts, "Right. I'll refer to Red Tape for the changeling question."

The red-maned earth pony clears his throat. "Until today, Chrysalis had no mental power over her own kind. She did have the ability to dominate ponies, but only after extensive conditioning and it is relatively easy to snap a pony out of until the very last stages. Therefore, having changelings as guards was deemed no more dangerous than anypony else. They were vetted to the same extent and many of them have families planet-side. Until proven otherwise, they fall under the DPC (Dominated Persons clause) and thus cannot be held responsible for their actions. Hence the non-lethal means you've been given to deal with them. Any information you can uncover on shielding or freeing them from Chrysalis' control will result in a pay bonus of double your monthly salary." A tight smile crosses his lips. "The prisoners, however, do not fall under the guidelines of the DPC. If they show active resistance to your mission, you are cleared to use whatever force you deem necessary to ensure the completion of your task. Do remember that we will be going over the footage from your helmet cams, so don't use this opportunity to unleash any latent desires for carnage."

Wildcat nods. "As for Captain Dash and Applejack..." He clears his throat. "The workings of their suits are classified. So classified that only one pony really knows how they work. Princess Twilight Sparkle. We got nothing for you there. We do know that Applejack can survive direct impacts from a missile in that thing. Your best bet is to disable her turret and Captain Dash's missile launcher. Both ponies are trained to resist psychological torture, so we can only hope they'll hold out long enough for you to rescue them." He glances around. "Who else?"

Elbeyon
2017-07-01, 01:04 AM
Love shakes the silliness out of her head and starts to catch up to the commander leaving the room. An easy hoofwave goodbye signalling her departure. That and a friend request for MoonMistress! Her heart fluttering as she's not sure whether to expect acceptance or rejection. She's never gotten close enough to Luna's matrix field to send a request.

Parsing Wildcat's words take her a bit. "Ah!" She replies. "You mean the aged warrior. Aye, sir! I'll prepare my meat for transport. My current locations are my lab. The entrance is difficult to find. It's certainly difficult to guide people to. I'll be ready with myself at the door."

As much as it made her uncomfortable risky the old heart and lungs, she agrees, "I understand, Sir!"
When her turn to ask questions pops up.

"I'll ask for as much information as you can give us in file form. As you said communication may be a problem. I'd like to have the reference material in the sky. Maps at the very least." She wracks her brain to think of anything else. Electrolasers can give quite the jolt. Hardly anything is truly non-lethal "I'd like to request as much crowd control as possible. Tear gas. Stun. Knockout gas. And, I'll be submitting a LC2 waiver to allow Restricted items to leave my home for this mission."

userpay
2017-07-01, 01:40 AM
Brazen nods slowly. Given how easily the changelings had fallen under Chrysalis's control it seemed like there had been something prior but evidently not. "Then that means ah get to take my heavy stuff, always carry ah bigger stick than what the convicts can get ahold of." He considers potential equipment after Love's request about such. "Gonna need me some breaching charges just in case. Can't have unconstrained explosions after all and there might be doors the suit can't pry open. Also don't suppose we've got any sort of EMP we can take along or that not going to fly with the station?"

D.KnightSpider
2017-07-01, 06:23 AM
There was a question in Sniper Scope's mind: what sort of idiot tied the hands of a squad by refusing to let them shoot a hostile threat?. The battle field was a simple place composed of two groups: allies and enemies. Allies were to be protected. Enemies were to be terminated. Introducing a third group to be incapacitated-- which was fully capable of disguising itself as an ally-- made an already difficult mission impossible.

The self-conscious part of his mind piped up to say that he was just angry at the orders hindering his artform. He ignored it. The nagging voice that was always right would do little to soothe his ego.

Still, he knew from experiencd not to verbalize his concerns. That would only get him a quick dressing down. He stabilized his mood before saying anything.

"An espionage kit would also be useful." Scope said evenly. "Is there any method by which to determine whether a pony is a changeling or no?" so I know who to shoot and who to tickle?

DigoDragon
2017-07-01, 07:00 AM
Rose found the primary objective seems straight forward; rescue hostages, subdue or kill escaped prisoners. "What of the Philomena? Should we also ensure the ship's core is not going critical?"

Miltonian
2017-07-01, 10:17 AM
"All of that is being loaded on the ship as we speak," Red Tape assures Love. He pauses for a moment. "And I just set up the LC2 form for immediate approval once it's submitted." To Sniper Scope, he says, "I'll see what's available. Basic disguise kit shouldn't be too hard to find. A False Face is probably out of the question, given our limited time frame." He smiles. "Fascinating detail about changeling biology, even disguised their bodies are a few degrees cooler than a regular pony's. Thermal imaging is going to be your best bet, though they can raise their temperatures for a limited amount of time, so you'll have to be cautious." He clears his throat. "There is a spell which counters their disguises, but we don't have time for Rose to learn it."

Wildcat, however, levels a glare at Brazen. "We'd like to be able to salvage the station afterwards, Hoof. No, you may not bring an EMP." He waves a hoof dismissively. "The Royal Guard's mission is to secure the Philomena. They'll be in radio contact."

"Besides," Red Tape chimes in, "The reactor is designed to shut down rather than go critical. Same with the station's."

D.KnightSpider
2017-07-01, 09:37 PM
Failsafe were only safe until they failed. At least thermal imaging would give them some advantage on the field.

He began thinking out loud. "A more direct means of monitoring would be more useful. Perhaps something akin to a 'bug' that could be discretely attached to those we meet. I doubt we have the time for such development....

"Which reminds me. We will need some form of unique classified information, some tidbit, that only the true Elements of Harmony would know so as to properly identify them. We should also establish a safeword by which to identify one another in the likely event we become separated. Something simple to remember but is constantly altered to prevent eavesdroppers from utilizing the word against us."

Miltonian
2017-07-01, 11:41 PM
"Unique, classified information," Commander Wildcat repeats, "That's a bold request. I'll send it on up, see what we get back." He turns away. "And your code-words are your own."

The EDF quickly leaves the bunker and flies to the outskirts of Canterlot, where the Canterlot Launchbase lies. A towering, gleaming structure of steel, it boasts twenty different runways and launchpads for all conceivable kinds of craft. It even has a mooring station for dirigible airships, which still see some use in more primitive areas.

As the VTOL comes in for a landing, Red Tape looks up sharply. "Received feedback on your request," he said, "And here's what Celestia sent back. 'Where is the Great and Powerful Trixie buried? She isn't.'" He shrugs. "Make of that what you will."

Wildcat lights up another cigar. "Get suited up," he grunts, "The Thunderbird's waiting for you in hangar 12. Star Chaser should be done with pre-flight checks by now and that zebra should have your gear loaded. Check it to be sure."

/////

Meanwhile, Love hears a knock on her door. It seems the escort is here to transport her actual body to the base.

Elbeyon
2017-07-02, 04:45 AM
"Do we need code words?" She asks. "We should have plenty of electrical equipment capable of identifying us as us. I'm more afraid for the things we'll find up there." She hopes all the guards are OK.

Hearing the order to get going, Love shouts, "Star Chaser!" and starts running for the hanger. A space pony needs greeted!

Her apartment skyscraper isn't anything special. It's on Canterlot's rough side, not someplace for tourists. The city seems to have lost its luster here and a dim urban funk seems to have taken its place. Her apartment is somewhere in the sky, but her lab is underneath it. Down some side alley, a flight of stairs dip below the street leading to her place.

Whoever is at her door doesn't have to wait long. An AR screen pops up on the door with Love on it. "One moment." She answers a few seconds later. Her lab's inner light illuminating the bottom of the pit as she opens it up. "I packed a lot of stuff." She lets them get a peek behind her. In the stark white waiting room (a few plants decorating it) her pet raccoon is trying to push what looks like three backpack frame's worth of stuff and a large metal box. "We can bring it with my car if the amount is an issue. If not I'll get back to my things and send a Chrome Bot with you."

Flesh Love:
Battlesuit (Suit & Helment)
Cigarette Lighter
Dagger (Knife)
Electrolaser Pistol
Grenade (Electro-stun) x2
Grenade (Riot) x2
Grenade (Sleep) x2
Grenade (Smoke) x2
Heavy Electrolaser
Heavy Electrolaser (40mm Attachment)
Power Cell (C) x2
Power Cell (D)
Thermos Bottle
Traveler's Rations

Love Android:
Battlesuit (Suit & Helment)
Cigarette Lighter
Dagger (Knife)
Electrolaser Pistol
Grenade (Electro-stun) x2
Grenade (Riot) x2
Grenade (Sleep) x2
Grenade (Smoke) x2
Heavy Electrolaser
Heavy Electrolaser (40mm Attachment)
Power Cell (C) x2
Power Cell (D)
Thermos Bottle
Traveler's Rations

(Love & Love's Android's Backpacks)
1Backpack (Frame)
Batteries x50
Bug Stomper
Cell Phone
Cigarette Lighter
Computer (Laptop)
Drug (Anti-radiation) x10
Drug/TL10 (Water Purification Tablets) x10
Fishhooks & Line x10
Grapnel
Homing Beacon x5
Kit (Electrician)
Kit (Electronics Repair)
Kit (First Aid)
Kit (Mechanic)
Lockpicks
Lockpicks (Electronic)
Matches x50
Nanobug
Robot (Scout) x2

Extra Gear Bag:
Grenade (Electro-stun) x10
Grenade (Fragmentation) x10
Grenade (Riot) x10
Grenade (Sleep) x10
Grenade (Smoke) x10
Cable (Steel) (10 Yards) x2
Radio (Backpack)
Power Cell (D) x2

Miltonian
2017-07-02, 09:28 AM
"That's perfectly alright, ma'am," the very official looking guard says with a wry smile, "Your commander warned us about this possibility, so we came prepared. If you will step this way please."

A strong, burly unicorn helps levitate her stuff into a large, military transport truck. This particular vehicle is of the "armor everything" persuasion. It's a wonder that the wheels don't give out on it, considering the enormous weight it has to carry.

A ping sounds in Love's ear. MoonMistress has accepted your friend request!

Star Chaser's head pokes out from under the Thunderbird, covered in grease and grime. With a small "Hup!", she muscles her way out from underneath and stands up. "Hello, hello!" she says, "Took you long enough to get here. The new guy's been in my mane all morning complaining about how I have my ship calibrated. Somepony strong go whack him upside the head for me, eh?"

Like a lot of spacers, Star Chaser's muscles are good for maneuvering in low and zero-g environments, but they are less developed than those who stay planet-side most of the time.

DigoDragon
2017-07-02, 12:40 PM
Rose checks her medical equipment to ensure she has everything; liquid bandages, pressure gauze, antibiotics, hypospray unit, vitals monitor. "Alright, the less of this I have to use, the happier I'll be."

Elbeyon
2017-07-02, 02:29 PM
Lab

"Huh? Oh no," she says. "You've already loaded me." She points up the stairs. "I'm in the metal box."

The door opens farther to allow a chrome-finished android stallion into the frame. "My android will be escorting you to the base. That's who's tailing you. Security and such. Some of the transport is irreplaceable to me."

Hangar 12

"That sounds like a pain. Hello." Love moves to give her a hoof-bump. "So, you're ready to leave?" She attempts to join the comms since she can keep moving and talking.

She trots into the ship after Rose as to not keep anyone waiting.

Miltonian
2017-07-02, 11:23 PM
The guard blinks and stares at Love. “S-seriously?” He looks between the very realistic drone and the metal box. “What...I don’t...huh?” So much for professionalism.

The second guard mutters under her breath. “What sort of mission is this if they’re sending all this tech?” Despite their trepidation, they carry her and her bodyguard to their destination without complaint.

///////

Star Chaser returns the hoof-bump. A loud beep comes from the shuttle. “Oh hay no!” she cries and gallops into the craft. “Akilah, you dumb stripehead! What do you think you’re doing to my ship?”

A male zebra pokes his head out. “Only fixing the power supply. Your way would get us fried.”

“My way has worked ever since the test flights,” she countered. She leapt into the pilot seat and laid a hoof lovingly on the control panel. “It’s alright, baby. Mommy’s here now.”

Akilah rolls his eyes and moves onto Brazen’s power armor. “Diagnostics are almost done. Don’t want it to fail during the fun,” he says simply.

“Good news!” Star Chaser calls back, “Stripey here didn’t mess things up too badly. We can still fly!”

Akilah grins. “Stripes may be on my flank, but your mind, featherbrain, is blank.” He turns and bows to the three active members of the EDF and Love’s robotic body. “Akilah of the Zebra tribe, mechanic for anything you can contrive. Though we have not met before, I hope you will not show me the door.”

“He’s the mechanic they assigned for this mission,” Star Chaser shouts back. She sighs. “Everyone get ready and get everything loaded. Once Love arrives and we install her in that slot over there, we’ll take off. Any last minute arrangements, do them now. You have about ten minutes.”

userpay
2017-07-03, 03:09 AM
"Tempting as it is for a warm up Star, though ah usually don't go whacking around fellow team members. Usually." Brazen can't help but smile a bit at Star Chaser's reaction over the fresh meat. Though said fresh meat's appearance is a suitable distraction much less sorting through equipment to make sure the basics are there. "Well met Akilah, and ah sure hope it doesn't. Strong as ah am carrying around all my toys ain't nearly as fun without the armor to back me up. Never mind getting shot at without it."

DigoDragon
2017-07-03, 05:38 AM
"Well, wish we would have met under more pleasant circumstances, Akilah. Still, good to know you," Rose says. She gets her armor on and checks her weapons.

D.KnightSpider
2017-07-03, 09:46 AM
"Likewise." Sniper Scope tacked his greeting on to Brazen and Rose's.

He gave Akilah a polite nod, tuned the other ponies out of his focus and made a beeline for his equipment. Trust in a mechanic or pilot was well and good, but it paid to take no chances. Scope began the familiar process of breaking down his equipment and checking it for flaws or issues. The process went quickly. Then he added a few new pieces that he'd managed to filch just for this particular mission.

He paused and frowned. He keyed open his communication's port and found one particular draft message and attached it to a delayed sending mechanism. Should he not return to cancel the message in a fortnight, then his family would at least receive one final communication from him.

That done, there was one final item of business with which to attend. He retrieved a long-cold hayburger from his pack and extended it in Rose's direction.

"I believe this is yours."

DigoDragon
2017-07-03, 10:16 AM
That done, there was one final item of business with which to attend. He retrieved a long-cold hayburger from his pack and extended it in Rose's direction.
"I believe this is yours."

Rose levitates the hayburger to herself and unwraps it, taking a bite. "Certainly tastes like it. Thanks!"

D.KnightSpider
2017-07-03, 02:39 PM
"Think nothing of it." Sniper Scope replied with a wave of his hoof.

Miltonian
2017-07-03, 03:56 PM
In a short while, a group of technicians comes aboard to carefully load a metal box (almost a coffin) and properly hook it up to the ship. Akilah whispers to the other three members of the squad. "I don't mean to be dire, but are we sure she's not the vampire?" He's only half-joking.

Once all the equipment she brought with her is loaded and secured, Star Chaser warms up the engines and goes through the relatively boring routine of requesting permission from the tower to launch, going through the pre-flight checklist one last time, and making extra sure the air cyclers were working. Forty minutes later, the Thunderbird roars through the upper atmosphere and toward the beleaguered station.

As Tartarus Station looms closer and close, the EDF can see it slowly rotating off-kilter. The Philomena spins with it, impaled upon the pylons that once held the trams between the Core and the destroyed prison module. A cloud of debris trails behind it, slowly sinking toward the planet below. Star Chaser whistles. "Sure did a number on that thing." She hails Command. "Commander Wildcat, we have eyes on the station. Making our approach now."

"Copy that. Good luck."

She looks back over her shoulder. "Alright, ponies! We have several options. Red Tape recommended we enter through the Philomena. The Royal Guard's ponies have already secured the hangar and are pressing toward the bridge, but they're making slow progress. They've been at it for two hours and barely secured the hangar. The Lunar Guard is holding back for now. They'll be trying to get the station's hangar open and take the station's Command Center. We could steal their thunder, but this ship probably doesn't have the weaponry to break through those thick doors. Or there's a third option. We could stealth our way in. A few of the staff managed to reach the escape pods when all this went down, which means there are a few empty tubes leading right into a nice airlock that a few enterprising ponies could use." She grins. "I like the last option best."

Elbeyon
2017-07-04, 04:13 AM
A mechanical Love unbuckles herself. Coats of disjointed metal cover a mechanized frame underneath, servos dot her joints, and a plain visorless helmet covers her head.

"Awesome! Yes! That was amazing!," she says excitedly. Her machine reeves and clanks on the Thunderbird as she prances over to her metal box. She starts checking its ventilation, making sure nothing blocked it in flight. "And, I only threw up three times. That's a new record!" A puking emote plays on her helmet's chameleon circuits. A click and a hissing sound becoming audible as she replaces the air in her suit with the air around her. After the box seems ok, she moves over to her backpack.

"Oh, yeah. I almost forgot. I packed some anti-radiation pills for everyone." She shakes her bag till a couple of pill packets fall out and then she slips pack onto her back. "Anyone want some?" She'll give anyone that's interested a packet of rad pills.

DigoDragon
2017-07-04, 09:21 AM
Rose will take a rad pill. "Everything good with your box-self?" she asks. Concern about throwing up in a box is on her mind. Eww.

D.KnightSpider
2017-07-04, 12:34 PM
That was wonderful news about the frequency of Love's inability to retain her dinner, albeit far, far too much information for his liking. Sniper Scope wasn't entirely certain what necessitated her use of drones and boxes, but it wasn't his place to ask.

"Thank you." He replied in response to her offer of a radiation pill. "It is appreciated."

Leaving them to their nausiating discussion, he moved forward to survey the station alongside Star Chaser. A frown passed over his face. The station was definitely in a bad state.

"I agree. That is our best opportunity to get in and get out." Scope told Star Chaser. He looked over his shoulder at Brazen. "What are your thoughts?"

Miltonian
2017-07-04, 03:43 PM
Fortunately, Love's box has not been disturbed by the rapid escape from the atmosphere. The slot was well designed for it. Power is fed directly from the Thunderbird, so unless the entire ship goes down, her systems will remain online and operational.

Akilah joins the growing crowd at the cockpit. "The ship plowed through and struck the core. It looks damaged aft to fore. Even if we were to take it back, I doubt we could use it in an attack." He shrugs. "But take that for what you will. You are the ones who Chrysalis will want to kill."

With that cheery thought, they hold a brief consultation. Since they are all of equal rank and Wildcat leaves it 'up to your discretion', it comes down to a simple vote, and two members vote for landing on the Philomena. With a nod, Star Chaser swings the ship toward the hangar and slips inside. Just to be on the safe side, she sends out a short-range burst with the Thunderbird's clearance code. That way the Royal Guard won't immediately fill the airlock full of bullets without bothering to ask questions first. They tend to be a little gung-ho when it comes to that sort of stuff.

The Thunderbird docks neatly inside the hangar and the airlock opens with a hiss. Two stallions decked out in Royal Guard battlesuits wait on the other side, heavy weapons at the ready. "Scanning," one says, "They're not changelings. Body temperature is just right." Both relax and salute. "You four are Harrier Squad? Command said you might be coming our way. We could use the assistance."

Elbeyon
2017-07-04, 04:00 PM
"Yep, she's fine. She didn't feel a thing, snoozing like a radio baby."

Love starts giving people the rad packages, insisting that they take extras just in case.

The Thunderbird broadcasting her signal is all fine and dandy, but she prefers relying on her own devices. She starts unpacking her relay station and sets it up as a back-up. She's one of the last pony's to go out of the airlock.

DigoDragon
2017-07-04, 04:51 PM
"Yep, she's fine. She didn't feel a thing, snoozing like a radio baby."

"That's good. Hopefully we'll see her again soon with good news." Rose grabs her gear and exits the Thunderbird into the hanger.

D.KnightSpider
2017-07-04, 05:18 PM
"We'll be back as quickly as possible." Scope informed Akilah and Star Chaser. "Please be careful until our return."

Upon disembarking, Sniper Scope returned the Royal Guard's salute. He said: "We are Harrier Squadron, yes. We'll provide aid where possible, but it is very likely that our orders will separate us from your division in the near future.

"What is your situation and how can we help?"

Elbeyon
2017-07-04, 05:47 PM
Love chuckles. "I can't wait to tell myself the good news."

"Bye, Star Chaser. Don't do anything too awesome a.k.a. dangerous while we're gone." A kissy face sending a heart pops up on her helmet as she waves goodbye.

She salutes the Royal guard back and walks up to her team. Two drones fly out of her backpack. "Oh. I almost forgot."

The servo's & clanking of her suit stops. What a shame. Suits are just way cooler with the old fashion sounds effects playing.

Miltonian
2017-07-04, 05:59 PM
"Safe travels, landstriders," Star Chaser calls, "And wingmate." Those terms are not normal pegasi ways of referring to other ponies, but she seems all too pleased with herself.

The two guard ponies give the report as quickly as possible. "We've set up a perimeter around the hangar and the cargo holds. Those areas are secure, but the rest of the mid-ship is contested territory. The changelings left rather quick when we showed up, but Ironbeak and the other corvid prisoners shot themselves over on the remains of the tram system and are putting up a fight. About half the non-changeling crew were either incapacitated in the initial attack or dragged off with the bugs when they retreated. When the ship struck the station, there were several fatalities and injuries. The captain and the remaining crew are holed up in the bridge. The corvids are between us and them. The engineering section in the rear is sealed to both sides."

He gestures to himself and the other guard. "We're here to keep the hangar secure. The rest of the company is fighting in the hallways or setting up barricades, turrets, and other defenses."

DigoDragon
2017-07-04, 06:20 PM
"Sounds like we have plenty of work to do," Rose says. "Any specific place the corvids are holding up in the mid-ship?"

Elbeyon
2017-07-04, 07:18 PM
Test time! She starts scanning the hanger to get some basic vitals on the ship. She leaves the groups immediate area to find some hanger operations, a info panel or power outlet. She checks for power fluctuations. Is the ship the correct temperature and the air fresh, or is life support malfunctioning? She starts pinging the various comm frequencies to see if the guards overlooked a channel. Between her scans wait times, she cruises around with the scout drones to check for security features and the connections they may provide.

Miltonian
2017-07-04, 08:35 PM
"There are three corridors which run stem to stern," the guard replies, "All the rooms branch off from them. We're fortifying two of the halls with turret emplacements. Nothing should be able to slip by. Straight hallway with a lot of bullets flying down it will shred them. But the third is where we're trying to advance. The corvids holed themselves up in the ship's galley, which connects to all three. Bunch of crows in a room full of knives, right? They have a few weapons from the station too. They've made a barricade of their own from the tables and chairs. They're holding us off while they fight their way to the control room. Exchanging bullets isn't changing anything and close-quarters with a corvid is a bad situation all around."

Through a nearby door, Love finds the hangar control room with all its flashing lights and fancy computers. However, most of those lights are lit up bright red and the word "WARNING" appears all over the place in big, angry red letters. Most of the panels have to do with hangar functions. Airlocks are out of alignment, power isn't being fed to the fueling pumps, there's an electrical short on dock 4, and all other manner of malfunctions probably caused by the impact. Another screen helpfully informs her to stay at her post as security forces have been deployed to deal with the problem and warbots will be along shortly to escort her to a safe location. In the corner, however, she finds one that gives the ship's status as a whole. And the prognosis is not good.

Structural failures all up and down the hull. A portion of the station has literally speared the ship straight through and required most of the bow section to be sealed off lest it completely lose atmosphere. The main reactor has shut down for safety purposes and the ship is currently on battery power, of which it has three days remaining at current consumption. Life support, thank Celestia, is in the undamaged engineering section at the rear. The systems themselves are fine, the only question is which parts of the ship are still connected to it. From the looks of things, water, but not air, has been cut off from the bow section.

Pinging the frequencies gets little response. The ship's comms are in the bow and were lost when it got impaled. Her personal radio, however, picks up a number of distress calls from all over the station. Guards trapped at the posts as the prisoners riot outside. The sound of gunfire and shouts always lies in the background.

DigoDragon
2017-07-04, 08:51 PM
"Corvids in the galley, eh?" Rose says as her ears perk up. "What do you think, team? Time for us to get cooking?"

Elbeyon
2017-07-04, 10:20 PM
Love pokes her head out the hanger's control room. "Ponies. There should be a warbot in the engineering room, if all of you are interested."

She starts pushing the data she's found to the rest of the group.

And, she retreats back into the room to finish her previous tasks. She turns the fueling stations off. They don't need any power in the future, that's for sure. She's tempted to do the same for the electrical short, but isn't sure what's going on in dock 4. She starts browsing the data while she calls up Star Chaser.

"Hello! It's me, Love. I realize you're probably busy with the ship and all, but if you could do me a favor that'd be great. Could you or Akilah play dispatcher and start connecting these distress calls together. You can use the back-up relay I set up to route everypony." She starts data dumping all her pings to the two. "I'm sure some scared ponies would really appreciate it if they could talk with each other."

These tasks may take me a while. T. T Feel free to leave Love behind.

Could she try to splice into the security and get some cameras feeds (if those exist)?

userpay
2017-07-04, 10:39 PM
"Well then." Brazen drawls as he steps out of their ride with solid hoof thumps, having taken a few extra minutes to confirm proper functionality with Akilah. "Ah warbot sounds mildly interesting for the defense crew though if engineering's closed off won't we need to liberate the bridge to unlock it?" Brazen runs through a simple diagnostic for his weapons as he considers. A few stray electrical sparks crawling from his front hooves. "Pity ah didn't bring ah satchel charge to deal with the corvids... Though the galley is the last place ah'd want to use one anyway. The military travels on it's stomach."

Miltonian
2017-07-05, 01:20 AM
"Already working on it," Star Chaser replies, "Unfortunately, I can't tap into the internal comms for the Philomena or for the station from here. We're only picking up individual radio signals. If you could reprogram one of the intercoms near you to broadcast on a military frequency, I should be able to link it into our network."

When Love goes to try to open up the security system, however, she gets a very strong "Access Denied" from the temperamental computer. Access to the ship's AR would allow real-time tracking of hostile and allied forces on each linked-in pony's HUD, but setting that up could cost precious time. And, if Brazen and Sniper Scope have anything to say about it, the fight won't last long enough for her to finish and then make it to the front.

If you'd like, make a hacking roll at -1. You don't have access, but it's a standard military setup that I'm sure Love's encountered before.

"Ship's going to be rebuilt from the ground up after this is over anyway," the guard pony interjects, "Long as you don't blow out the side of the ship and give us all some nice space to breathe instead of air, you'll find no complaints from us." The Royal Guard really likes their heavy weapons. "Our captain is up towards the front, at one of the barricades. We'll make sure no one enters your ship."

Elbeyon
2017-07-05, 03:51 AM
Love comms Brazen, "I have a stack of frag grenades in one of my bags. Feel free to try to improvise something."

"Star Chaser, Love here. There is nothing I can do about reworking the comms now. I don't have the resources to dedicate to that and retaking the ship. Hopefully the bridge will solve our current communication problems."

The computer goes on the table. The cords from computer to terminal. "Dumping into VR. I'll be unconscious in two sentences..." Laser comm connected and secured.

Her computer screen goes black, three hundred pounds of metal hit the floor, and then a blue load bar starts to inch across the screen.

[PUSH 1P START]
[...]
[LOVE SHIPPED vs PHILOMENA]
Her screen flashes.
[PLAYER 2,3,4,5,6 NOT FOUND]

The camera zooms in over Love's shoulder. She's dead center of a ship's command center. On a raised platform, she overlooks five copies of herself and non-important npcs. She barks out a command to her comms specialist, "Request a comms channel again." The copy remains in idle motions as if they've dropped from the game. The camera flickers and her copies are replaced by Harrier Squad. Rose. Brazen. Scope. Star Chaser. Wildcat.

Rose answers her, "No response. Maybe, they're at lunch?"

"MoonMistress Dammit! Who forgot to feed Rose?" She slams her first on her chair. "Battle mode!" A siren and red lights go off. "We'll do this the hard way."

I can roll now or when my hacking time is up. Let me know!

Hacking into Security
[rollv]3d6[rollv] vs 12 = 15 (Computer Hacking) + 3 (Single-Minded) - 1 (Standard Setup) -5 (Haste: -50% Time Required (Basic p. 346))

DigoDragon
2017-07-05, 07:25 AM
"Pity ah didn't bring ah satchel charge to deal with the corvids... Though the galley is the last place ah'd want to use one anyway. The military travels on it's stomach."

"Yes, Brazen, please think of the chowder," Rose quips. "Alright, what's the plan? Head up the corridor without the turret, see if we can find an angle to take out the corvids and secure the galley?"

userpay
2017-07-05, 11:01 AM
"Excellent, ah only brought non-lethal but ah galley is a bit smaller than I'd like for engaging a bunch of corvids in hand to hand." Brazen considers for a moment. "Well... The corvids have a minimum of firearms aye? Sniper why don't you take a peak and see if you can paste ah few from down the corridor?"

D.KnightSpider
2017-07-05, 01:42 PM
"Affirmative." Sniper Scope nodded. "Let us proceed to get the lay of the land."

Along route, he accessed the information from Love. He wanted to familiarize himself with the layout of the vessel and find potential alternate means of entry to the galley.

Miltonian
2017-07-05, 02:10 PM
The layout is very utilitarian and sparse. It is not designed to be defended from internal attacks. Most of the security comes from sealing off sections of the ship and holding the line at the bulkhead. As such, two of the three hallways run right down either side of the galley and the third passes over the top. Thus, blowing a hole in the floor and leaping down to attack would be an alternate method, though not one that would allow for much long range combat. The Corvids have picked their position well, a rare tactical insight from their kind.

And they are sticking to it. Approaching one of the barricades, the one to the top hallway, gives them eyes on a group of four ponies standing guard behind a quickly erected barricade while two more set up an automated turret. Through the gaps, they can see a shoddy barricade of steel tables and chairs facing theirs. Every so often, one side fires a shot at the other, but neither of them seems to be that great of shots.

Elbeyon
2017-07-05, 07:21 PM
Hanger Command

"Try to go non-lethal. We're not these ponies' executioners." That's her two sentences. Love is out~

Love Shipped Command

Loud sirens scream. "Scope fire up the cannons. Prep the AA. Prep the bow missiles. I want a burst to knock out their shields before we move to sustained dps."

userpay
2017-07-05, 08:20 PM
"Yah... But by escaping like this they've compounded their sentences much less invading another ship." Brazen peaks over the barricade. "Could maybe grenade them from the top while Sniper keeps them pinned down... Ah've got some stuns though ah think the frags would be more appropriate for this flock."

DigoDragon
2017-07-05, 08:33 PM
"Thought we were doing this non-lethal, Brazen?" Rose said from the back of the group. "But I trust your judgement. Whatever you and Sniper feel would be best, I'll follow suit."

Elbeyon
2017-07-05, 08:38 PM
Hanger Command

A mass of metal lies on the floor. Inside the armor, a snap shot of Love's head shows her clearly sleeping. Brazen's voice plays at full volume in the background. Love sleep talks, "Pew pew."

Miltonian
2017-07-05, 08:58 PM
Lovespace

"It's no good, cap'n," Scope replies in entirely the wrong accent. And mannerisms. And everything, really. "Their shields are too strong. We got nae way t' penetrate them and I'm givin' her all she's got."

"Damn the shields!" Wildcat replies, exaggerating the way the commander normally talks, "Full speed ahead! We'll ram our way through!"

"If you can get close enough to lob a grenade in there," one of the technicians says frostily, "Be my--"

"Huzzah!" a familiar voice says over the team's comms. And the Royal Guard's, judging by their surprised reactions. "Frag the ruffians! Torch the crows! Thy plan is to my liking, good Brazen! For Equestria! Ah, would that I could lead the charge, but I am confined to this command center."

A heavy, more regal sigh follows this pronouncement.

Elbeyon
2017-07-05, 09:54 PM
Lovespace

"That's Admiral to you!", she barks.

She gives a stern, serious nod to Wildcat, "Let's go deeper! Forward shields to max! Full speed ahead!"

The two ships fly straight toward each in a dangerous game of chicken. Just before the ships collide, Love screams, "Melee mode!"

The two ships shift into mecha and grab each other's hooves in a struggle for dominance.

Inside the Love Shipped cabin, the ponies stand up while the ship's terminals start to disappear into the floor. The noise of the ships and the screens displaying the space battle start to disappear. Only Harrier Squad squad remains in a pure white room. The group sticks their hoof to their side until a lightsaber handle flies into each hoof.

In front of them, their opposition starts to rise out of the floor. A warbot.

Love dramatically turns to her saber and lights it blue in front of her.

"Damn you. You cursed machines."

The warbot activates four lightsabers and immediately a splash of red flings across the room. Star Chaser decapitated.

"No!", Love screams. Tears running down her cheeks, she rushes into battle with what remains of Harrier Squad to cut the bot down. A clash of sabers sound as the true battle begins.

D.KnightSpider
2017-07-05, 10:06 PM
Sniper Scope opted to let the conversation play out while he surveyed the immediate area. Ceiling, walls, fortification, enemy placement, anything and everything that would give them advantage. He was especially interested in anything aerial perch that would give him a clean line of sight on the enemy while allowing Brazen Hoof to lead the assault.

Then came the voice over the radio. Sniper Scope tilted his head at Rose and Brazen. He lifted an eyebrow, indicating his desire to let them respond.

Miltonian
2017-07-05, 10:46 PM
Lovespace

The warbot rages forward, hacking and thrusting and slashing and rending and tearing and... Well, doing what the ideal warbot does. Killing with maximum efficiency. Finally, however, Love drives her saber right into the things head. It sparks, sputters, and falls. But before she can savor the triumph, two more rise out of the conveniently not-described landscape. They each draw eight sabers and turn to face her.

"Access..." the first says.

"DENIED!" the second finishes and they hurtle toward her as one.

Sniper Scope's vigilant search reveals depressingly few options. The hallway is straight and the only cover it affords are shallow, evenly spaced alcoves the perfect size for a pony to fit in. They are too small for a Corvid, however, so there is that advantage.

However, the vent which runs above the hallway might be big enough for him to squeeze in, if he kept his wings close to his back. And it has an opening with a decently clear view of the hall.

userpay
2017-07-06, 01:10 AM
"Well... Seems we got our permission." Brazen racks his shotgun to readiness while giving Rose a look. "Ah'm fine with most targets being non-lethal but crows... Lets just say ah don't see eye to eye with them after ah previous incident. How much longer for that turret?" He asks the barricaded ponies.

Miltonian
2017-07-06, 02:13 AM
"Five minutes, tops," the technician growls. Under her breath, she mutters so Brazen can't hear (but Sniper Scope and Rose can), "Princess Luna never tells me I'm doing a good job. Buck you."

"Hold up," one of the guards says, "What are they doing?"

It seems the Corvids are making modifications to their barrier. As the ponies watch though slits in their barricade, the corvids thrust knives mounted to broken table legs out through the gaps in their barriers, giving it a porcupine appearance.

DigoDragon
2017-07-06, 05:22 AM
Rose loads the lethal ammo into her pistol. "Buggers seem to be learning a few tricks in there," Rose says, in reference to the knives now pointed out from their barricade.

Elbeyon
2017-07-06, 05:42 AM
Lovespace

Love huffs in anger over Star Chaser's death. Her robo kill fails to sate her emotions.

"I, love, her.. killed. You killed her!" she shouts at the ruined head in front of her. Her lightsaber digs further down into its corpse.

Absorbed in her grief, she doesn't even hear the two warbots shouting at her. Her focus is fading. Her mind becoming muddy.

The robo warpath is a short one. Love's friends try to impede the duo from their distracted Admiral, but they aren't strong enough.

A *Kksssshhhh* awakes Love from her thoughts. She looks up just as two objects thud to the ground. Wildcat's & Scope's bodies spilling their lifeblood on the floor.

Three squad members remain against the two giants. Love twirls her blade. *Vrău, vrău*

D.KnightSpider
2017-07-06, 08:37 AM
"Hold up," one of the guards says, "What are they doing?"

"Preparing for something." Sniper Scope replies.

He considers his options. His gut instinct says that time is not on their side. It would take some time to gather validating data, and that may be time they don't have. But it pays to be cautious. He hasn't survived this long in the field by working off of assumption.

"Perhaps, they will be kind enough to tell us for what."

He reaches into his pack and withdraws the shotgun mic. A quick connection links it to his communications device. Carefully, so as to minimize his chances of being seen, Sniper creeps to the barricade and points the shotgun mic at the Corvid barricade.

Miltonian
2017-07-06, 11:03 AM
After a little bit of fine-tuning, the mic picks up a squabble going on among the corvids. "Oi! That's my knife! You can't use that!"

"I'll use whatever I please. 'Fill it with spikes' the general orders, 'so the ponies impale themselves on the wall'. And so that's what I'm doing, mate. Now hand it here."

"Boil your head! Use your own knives. Ya got five of them."

"Just give her the knife, Sieg."

"I will not!"

"Give it to me or I'll tear it off your corpse."

"Oh-ho! So that's how it's gonna be. I'll have you know, we're equally ranked. You have no authority over me. I answer only to the gener- Urk!"

The sounds of choking and struggling last only a few moments. Then, a new knife and pole are thrust out of another small gap.

Lovespace

The robots wheel about and cut the other members down one by one until only Love remains. They surround her and hem her in, slashing away at her defenses. Then, both of them begin to make sounds like a blaring alarm. The left one's strike hits true and Love is roughly pulled back to reality.

The small screen above her angrily says, "Access Denied, dirty hacker!" The alarm which she heard has crossed over to reality as well. "Alert. Security personnel to Hangar Control. Alert. Security personnel to Hangar Control."

D.KnightSpider
2017-07-06, 12:00 PM
The mic was put in his pack. A predatory smile was put upon his face.

Sniper retreated from the barricade while shrugged one leg out of his pack. Leaving it dangling from one shoulder, he moved past Brazen, Love and the members of the Royal Guard.

"It appears that the Corvids have opted for a defensive strategy. Here is my recommendation: for maximum psychological impact, we initially bypass their barrier. Therefore, I will retreat to the next ventilation access point." He gestured upward with one hoof. All the while he spoke he made certain to keep his voice low. "Utilizing the start of the battle as a distraction, I shall enter the ductwork and make my way above the front line. I shall visit death upon them from above, and then, when they are in disarray, Brazen may lead the charge to dislodge them from their position. Does this sound agreeable?"

DigoDragon
2017-07-06, 12:35 PM
"Sounds like a good plan to me," Rose says.

userpay
2017-07-06, 12:35 PM
Brazen looks over the now poky barricade. "Ah almost feel like they don't understand what armor means... Ah could run full force into that and all that would happen is ah'd bend the knives. Besides ah can probably hop over that when the time comes. Pity we don't have five minutes. Somepony hand me ah frag and ah'll get the distraction runnin." By blowing part of the barricade open, along with some corvids hopefully, that should send them scrambling enough...

Miltonian
2017-07-06, 01:54 PM
From the other end of the hallway, they hear a corvid shriek, "THIS IS THE STUPIDEST PLAN I'VE EVER HEARD OF!"

One of the guards pulls out a rocket launcher. "I got you covered." Immediately, the others leap on her and wrest it from her grasp.

"Are you insane?" their leader demands, "Firing a rocket in an already damaged space ship? We didn't train you to be this dense Big Boom!"

One of the technicians salutes and hands Brazen a grenade. "One grenade, as requested. And I'm not even going to make you fill out a form for it."

"Are you sure you can fit, Sniper Scope?"

"Of course he can. He doth not eat cake all day."

"Please, sister, let's not spread rumors. I don't eat cake all day."

A young stallion's voice comes over the radio. "Uh, away teams? If you haven't guessed already, this is Equestrian High Command. We're monitoring your progress through the Thunderbird's uplink. Um, the princesses are here. So there's that. Don't do anything illegal, I guess?"

D.KnightSpider
2017-07-06, 02:41 PM
"Merveilleux." Scope grunted quietly in response to the news of being observed. Aloud, he said: "Unfortunately, I fear there is no longer time for such consideration."

He signalled Brazen and then took off down the hallway. He stretched his wings, prepping himself for flight.

userpay
2017-07-06, 02:53 PM
"Ha! This pony gets it!" Brazen laughs as Big Boom is restrained, accepting the grenade as he collects himself. "Ah like your style but as much as ah want ah mass clearing of that barricade that's also the reason ah don't mount ah canon on my armor. Overpenetration is one thing, overpenetration with hoof sized projectiles just gets ya yelled at. Thank ya by the bye. Anyway lets rock n roll!" Brazen waits for Sniper to get into position then pulls the pin on the grenade. Chucking it down the hallway with a low wine of servo, the stallion tearing off after it for one of the alcoves to distract the corvids from the explosive.

Right, so not sure the exact distances involved. If I need to get closer (52 yard throw) before I throw so be it. Ideally I'd be aiming for a hex to get that bonus to hit but not sure whether targeting a airborn hex with a grenade is a thing/timing it so it goes off just over the lip of the barricade or otherwise right over it. I'll make a throw check with no penalties or bonuses applied since I don't know the appropriate modifiers at the moment.
Throwing (skill 14): [roll0]
And I'll assume standard 64mm HE grenade and I'll go ahead and roll the explosive damage, fragmentation is probably better handled on your end: [roll1] x2

DigoDragon
2017-07-06, 03:12 PM
Rose covers her ears for the imminent (and reverberating) explosion.

Miltonian
2017-07-06, 04:51 PM
Brazen's grenade sails over the Corvid barricade. It's a difficult shot and not a whole lot of ponies could have done it, hence why the Royal Guard didn't try it themselves. But he lands it right inside a small gap made for firing out of. The one corvid on watch spots it. Her eyes go wide and she dives down the hallways, barely escaping the blast radius. The other two are not so lucky. The grenade blows part of their barricade apart and flat-out kills one. The other is heavily wounded, but now exposed to the Royal Guard. However, they hold their fire so as to not hit the two ponies in the hall. He dives for cover, though Sniper Scope can take a snapshot at him if need be.

Elbeyon
2017-07-06, 09:39 PM
Lying on the floor, Love grabs her head as she's dumped out. "Ow." Putting the phantom limb pain aside, she goes to check that her computer wasn't damaged and then stands up.

She hasn't run out of treats yet. Her bag is still full of toys. "Oh, I'll make you pay," She says with an impish grin. "A little twerk. A clip. Some tingly shocks." A growing pile of tools start coming out of her bag. She puts her augmented strength to use by ripping some panels off to get to the delicates.

She starts to play back her missed audio in reverse sequence. It looks like things more or less just started popping off. Maybe, she should not have tried to rush the hack.

"I'll need to wire myself in if I want access. Doing so now."

D.KnightSpider
2017-07-07, 08:09 AM
The results of Brazen's throw were almost-- almost-- enough to provoke a sense of wonder and respect from Sniper Scope. There were not many who could have made such a shot, nor done so as perfectly.

He adjusted his position slightly in order to bring his rifle to bear against the surviving Corvid. An instant's reflection prompted him to stay his hoof. Now was not the time to go off half-cocked. Now was the time for surgical precision. He began sighting down the length of his barrel and tracking the fleeing Corvid.

"Nicely done, Brazen. I have eyes on the remaining target now."

Spending this turn aiming.

userpay
2017-07-07, 10:40 AM
"Alrighty... Time to flush the rest of the crows out." Brazen starts running down the corridor, occationally ducking into a alcove to try and confuse the corvids and see just what kind of small arms they have.

DigoDragon
2017-07-07, 11:04 AM
"Alrighty... Time to flush the rest of the crows out." Brazen starts running down the corridor, occationally ducking into a alcove to try and confuse the corvids and see just what kind of small arms they have.

Rose follows Brazen, ducking into the opposite alcove one row behind and watching his back.

Miltonian
2017-07-07, 12:11 PM
The wounded corvid hunkers down and disappears behind the remains of the barricade. A good shot could easily penetrate, but anypony firing at him would be shooting blind. The bloody remains of the dead one lie against the side of the corridor and stretch half-way across, making it difficult to maneuver through the gap. As for the one that escaped the blast, she rises to a low crouch and wildly scans the area for cover. Sniper Scope has a clear shot at her.

A corvid head pokes out from the galley, about another 30 meters past the barricade.

Meanwhile, Love works on forging a connection to stand the test of time with the computer terminal. This will take a bit of time, but not too long.

D.KnightSpider
2017-07-07, 02:02 PM
This was it. Sniper Scope ignored the rest of the world as he lined his rifle's sight up with surviving, disoriented Corvid. He stilled his heart and exhaled. It was time to be steady and precise. He could savor being back in his element later.

He pulled the trigger.

Elbeyon
2017-07-07, 08:52 PM
A frowning emoticon appears on Love's helmet as she starts to catch up on the situation. That sounded like a frag. Haven't enough corvid died already? she asks herself.

Come on. One of you wires has to be transferring the data I need.

Miltonian
2017-07-08, 12:54 AM
Sniper Scope's shot hits true, striking the corvid dead center and melting all the way through the ramshackle breastplate she'd cobbled together. It leaves her heavily wounded, but barely conscious. The smell of burnt feathers fills the air. Panicked and in a lot of pain, she dashes for the galley, though her new wound hinders her greatly. She barely stumbles two meters away. She is still exposed to Brazen of Rose, if they'd like to take a shot, though they are still a ways down the corridor.

Meanwhile, Love quickly connects the right wire to her computer and bypasses the annoying system entirely! She immediately notices that only one other user is logged on at the moment. The ID of the account gives the captain of the ship as the user in question.

userpay
2017-07-08, 11:05 AM
Brazen's shotgun tracks the one that Sniper shot, rather surprised it's still standing, for a moment before belching forth it's own slug of lead downrange to 'put it out of its misery'. He follows up the shot be continuing down the corridor towards the corvid barricade.

Shooting, sans range penalty.
Shotgun (skill 15): [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

DigoDragon
2017-07-08, 11:27 AM
Rose aims at the barricade that the corvid wounded by the initial grenade had hid behind. "On the ground! Hands above your head!!" she commands, hoping the enemy will comply.

Miltonian
2017-07-08, 11:32 AM
The second corvid goes down to Brazen's shotgun. The damage that Sniper Scope's shot did to her armor destroyed too much of it to protect her chest from being ventilated by force. The corvid at the galley pulls his head back in and slams the door.

The corvid behind the barricade does not reappear. He seems to be hunkering down for now. No telling what he's planning.

D.KnightSpider
2017-07-08, 05:16 PM
Bah! Sniper Scope's teeth ground together. He should have had that kill. Brazen was there to correct his shortcomings, but such should never have been necessary. He was better than this.

He redoubled his concentration and tightened his focus around the makeshift table fortress.

"I am painting the barricade. If he so much as twitches, I shall have him." He informed the others.

Taking a wait maneuver to set up an opportunity shot (with aim) on the Corvid. Also taking the -2 penalty to avoid pegging a friendly by mistake.

userpay
2017-07-08, 07:10 PM
With no other corvids in sight and Sniper ready behind him Brazen charges forward. Aiming to try and topple the barricade onto the corvids hiding behind it.
find a clear spot to body check the barricade I guess or hope that the DR is more than enough for a unwielded knife which I assume it would be. See if I can make the corvids go squish between super leaping and several hundred pounds of armored pony.

DigoDragon
2017-07-08, 08:47 PM
Rose takes aim at about where she thinks the Corvid is hunkered down behind.

Miltonian
2017-07-08, 10:09 PM
The corvid calls out in a mocking voice. "Just stay there a few more seconds, ponies! See what happens! Go on, I dare ya!"

Meanwhile, Love notices that the other account is accessing the artificial gravity controls.

Elbeyon
2017-07-08, 11:09 PM
Oh, It's hard not to blush. The ship's private bits are showing.

MistressMoon and the command center is listening in on the mission!? she realizes.

A big mess of wires feed through an electrical box into an adapter to her computer. Her computer hardly managing to pull together some makeshift user interface so she doesn't have to try to interrupt the hard signals alone.

She tries to finagle an output near the captain's terminal. On a private channel she says, "Hello, Captain? Gravity is better left on. The Royal Guard aren't as use to space as yourselves."

Miltonian
2017-07-08, 11:49 PM
There is no reply from the captain. It looks like the only gravity being turned off is the hallway where the EDF is.

Elbeyon
2017-07-09, 12:27 AM
Freak. She was envisioning that. "Prepare for hostile gravity loss."

Headbutting with a higher/valid security clearance over controls isn't exactly to her advantage. She thinks to herself: Let's change the battlefield, HM?

To the "Captain" again, "Fine. I'll just remove life support while you do that. I hope you learned to breathe space!" She'll keep an eye on life support queries, but now her focus is on tripping that terminal's cyber security. She's going to trigger that box so hard it thinks it's repealing a corvid invasion. If they seem interested in a fight over life support she might switch over to that fight to buy time.

Miltonian
2017-07-09, 01:00 AM
It appears the person on the other end has no skill in hacking. However, the security on this terminal is much tougher. And the user on the other end has admin clearance. She manages to trip the alarms, but not until something interesting happens. And when the bridge control's alarm is tripped, all the alarms on the ship go off at once.

Brazen barrels towards the barricade. But as he nears it, a horrible sound goes off in his ear. And then, he begins to feel himself slip backwards as the gravity is not turned off, but changed direction. The corvid laughs as all the ponies in the hall suddenly find themselves slipping backwards toward the closed blast door to the engineering section. It's a long fall. One of the guards is a pegasi, but everypony else can only grab for the alcoves along the side of the hall. To top it off, the corvids' barricade disintegrates and turns into a cloud of falling shrapnel, knives and all. The royal guard's holds firm, but if Brazen strikes it while in free-fall, it will definitely break.

The wounded corvid laughs wildly and holds on to his perch.

D.KnightSpider
2017-07-09, 07:27 AM
The world suddenly turned on end, throwing Sniper Scope both off balance and off aim. So focused was he on the hiding Corvid that it took him far too long to properly react. His instinctive grab at the air vent edge missed by a far margin and he found himself plummeting towards the depths of the ship.

He wrapped his wings tighter about himself. It was all too easy to imagine catching a wing in a service tunnel and snapping it like a twig.

Then, he widened his legs, thankful for the cybernetic implants, and attempted to brace himself against the tight confines of the vent. If he could catch a joint or seam, perhaps he could stop his descent.

DigoDragon
2017-07-09, 07:41 AM
Rose slips backwards, holding on to... um... well much of nothing! "Love, fix it!" she shouts.

Don't have Acrobatics, so this'll be messy: [roll0]

userpay
2017-07-09, 01:59 PM
"Aw crab apples..." Brazen mutters as he feels the world 'turn', thoroughly disappointed that he wasn't going to get to try and turn the corvid into a pancake. Still with his momentum he has a few more precious seconds before the downward plunge begins. Trying to push off towards an alcove.

Pity I don't have something with more recoil, I don't think a shotgun would be enough to push me towards the sides.
Acrobatics (skill 12): [roll0]

Miltonian
2017-07-09, 02:15 PM
Sniper Scope's legs brace against the side and send up metal sparks as he plummets downward. If his strength can hold out long enough to slow himself down, he'll be able to halt his descent without any further issue. He missed the vent's edge, yes, but he's in a relatively favorable position.

Rose is in a bit more trouble. Nothing is conveniently near her for her to reach out and grasp. She could try and push off against the smooth floor to the ceiling where the vents are or the wall where the alcoves are, but currently she's in free fall. This might remind her of something. To make matters worse, right above her head is a cloud of falling shrapnel and the bulky form of Brazen Hoof.

Speaking of Brazen, he had the presence of mind to reach out for a hoof-hold. However, the weight of his suit yanked it out of his hand. And, to make matters worse, it threw him off-balance and now he tumbles head over hooves through the air, world spinning around him and bits of metal pinging off his armor. This does no damage thanks to his heavy armor, but turns the already dangerous cloud into a maelstrom of swirling, dangerous debris. Furthermore, if this goes on for any length of time, he could pass out.

In two more seconds, Rose and Brazen will hit the barricade.

DigoDragon
2017-07-09, 03:33 PM
This might remind her of something.

"No no No NO!!" Rose tries to push against the 'floor' to hit a vent or alcove or dear Celestia just grab something! She's trying not to panic as she pushes as hard as she can with her cyberlegs.

(Skill?) [roll0]

D.KnightSpider
2017-07-09, 03:43 PM
His face warped beneath the strain of trying to stop his descent and Sniper Scope scowled in anger. This was not going to happen-- nor was it permissible. He was not going to fall to a cheap trick and a taunting Corvid. He was not!

He ignored the strain and the pain and continued to push against the vent. This had better work. He didn't have many options otherwise.

Miltonian
2017-07-09, 05:29 PM
More by luck than skill, Brazen's forehoof lashes out and connects with part of the wall. It contorts and bends the metal around it, giving him a chance to hold on. And hold on he does. The automatic servos in his suit strain, as does his shoulder. That will be sore in the morning!

Sniper Scope barely manages to keep his legs straight, but he does manage it. His fall comes to a stop right next to a vent a few feet in front of the royal guard's barricade. He is, for the moment, safe.

Rose, however, continues to tumble. Her push away from the floor doesn't carry her far enough. Her hooves can barely reach the vents along the ceiling. The barricade is rapidly approaching.

The corvid, still squeezed into an alcove too small for him, fumbles for something on his belt. With a wicked grin, he pulls it out and holds it up tauntingly. A stun grenade. "To the Dark Forest with you, ponies!" he calls.

Elbeyon
2017-07-09, 05:47 PM
Rose slips backwards, holding on to... um... well much of nothing! "Love, fix it!" she shouts.

Love braces for falling then when nothing happens she remembers it's only the hallway . Phew. She starts typing on her computer with a fury.

"I'm on it! Don't barf!"

Let's see do this with some style. Love will right the gravity, but only after messing with it a bit. She'll reverse the gravity a scooch to try to bleed off her team's momentum then as they near zero velocity she'll put the gravity down again.

DigoDragon
2017-07-09, 06:35 PM
"No no no..." Rose tries to hold herself together. She recalls her parachuting lessons on maneuvering around in freefall. "Just... lean a bit more."

(trying this to get close enough to grab the ceiling vent).

[roll0] (parachuting skill is 12)

Miltonian
2017-07-09, 06:46 PM
Thanks to Love's hacking and slowing her down, Rose catches herself on the same vent that Sniper Scope did, leading to a slightly awkward moment where they find themselves staring right into each other's faces. A whirlwind of falling blades and metal fragments passes. They pelt off her helmet, but only leave minor scratches behind. With two, loud, thumps, the bodies of the dead corvids strike the barricade and knock it backwards, though its momentum is already slowing thanks to the reversed gravity.

Sniper Scope is already braced, but Brazen's hold was a bit tenuous. He will need to use all his strength to hang on as the gravity reverse yet again.

As for the corvid, he is very surprised to see his grenade head upwards instead of downwards. He's even more surprised when he is yanked from his perch and finds himself falling upside down. He spreads his wings, but his injuries are too great to do more than glide. And since there is no room to glide in a crowded hallway, he strikes the wall.

The grenade falls a little bit and detonates right past the door to the galley.

DigoDragon
2017-07-09, 07:10 PM
Thanks to Love's hacking and slowing her down, Rose catches herself on the same vent that Sniper Scope did, leading to a slightly awkward moment where they find themselves staring right into each other's faces.

Rose blushes slightly being this close to Sniper. She starts to look a--

A whirlwind of falling blades and metal fragments passes. They pelt off her helmet, but only leave minor scratches behind.

--"Ow!" Rose cringes as the falling debris scratches her up.

Elbeyon
2017-07-09, 08:11 PM
"Sorry, Sorry! What's wrong?" She asks worriedly.

She really needs to get herself a visual on the team. Her hands are full with the gravity. She can't spare even a second to command her bot to look.

"Did I not slow you down enough?"

DigoDragon
2017-07-09, 08:16 PM
"No, no, keep doing what you're doing! I'm still hanging on," Rose says. Half a second later she cringes at the awful pun she made. At a time like this?

D.KnightSpider
2017-07-09, 08:39 PM
All Sniper Scope can do is raise a bewildered eyebrow at finding himself face-to-face with Rose. Her appearance made an already bizarre situation even stranger.

"And please warn us before further altering the gravitational fields." Sniper Scope added to Rose' statement.

He began guiding his ascent "up" the ventilation shaft. He ignored the protest of his cybernetic limbs, they didn't appreciate what he had just put them through, but there was no time to consider them. He had to clear the access vent quickly.

"Rose, what goes down must come up. For the moment, I suggest you also enter this ventilation duct to clear the debris field. Brazen, are you alright? How is the rest of the Royal Guard?"

He had to get a handle on the situation and determine the extent of their injuries. If anything happened to them...

DigoDragon
2017-07-09, 08:44 PM
"Rose, what goes down must come up. For the moment, I suggest you also enter this ventilation duct to clear the debris field. Brazen, are you alright? How is the rest of the Royal Guard?"

"Right, I'm on it."

Rose will open the vent and scoot inside, bracing against opposite sides to keep herself steady. She uses her magical horn to try and pull the daggers and knives out of the nearest debris and put them in an alcove or vent; somewhere so that when gravity reverses, these sharp implements don't fly back in the other direction.

Elbeyon
2017-07-09, 08:55 PM
"Alright..."

"I'm just going to align the gravity like the rest of the ship then I'll leave it alone."

"Don't let the gravity of the situation bother you."

Her ears are still tweaked over Rose's screaming.

Miltonian
2017-07-09, 09:51 PM
The team's fears are for not, as the gravity returns to normal and they find they can stand upright again. It is a welcome sensation, to be sure.

Star Chaser's voice comes over the comms. "You're all alive! Whew. Had me scared for a moment there. Let me patch you back into the main channel. I muted everyone else for you so they wouldn't distract you while you were, you know, trying not to die."

"-Repeat, no casualties. We all managed to make it to an alcove safely," Harrier Squad hears Big Boom say, "Uh, the captain is a little shaken up, but not dead. No pony is dead. It's...well, it's amazing we survived actually."

"Tis one for the tactical books," Luna agrees, "Ah! Harrier Squad! Report. How fare thee?"

"How did they do that?" Celestia asks, "How did they change what direction was up and down?"

"Gravity generators, your highness," Akilah replies, "Though never before have they made quite a mess."

DigoDragon
2017-07-09, 10:24 PM
As gravity returned, Rose pushed herself down to the 'floor' and caught it with a light thud of her metal hooves. She shakes a few bits of debris off her back. "Rose, reporting. I'm down the corridor behind Sniper Scope. Love's got me right-side up again. One injured Corvid still active. Sniper, Brazen, either of you got a contact with 'em?"

Miltonian
2017-07-09, 11:24 PM
The corvid in question is lying unconscious almost at the end of the hall, having hit his head hard on the side when he tried to stop his free-fall.

userpay
2017-07-09, 11:56 PM
Brazen sighs with relief as his hooves touch down on 'solid' ground again. "I'm fine, wrenched my shoulder a bit but I'll walk it off." He reports while rotating the offending limb to loosen it back up. Brazen peers down the hallway at the lump of feathers at the end. "Looks like the last boogy here is down for the moment, no clue about what's beyond the doors though. Sneaky buggers... Love know what happened there with the gravity? The crow seemed to know something about it and if I have anything to say about it I'd like to return the favor to his companions."

Elbeyon
2017-07-10, 12:27 AM
Love breathes away the stress. "I'll take a peek ahead and see what's going on with our corvid friends."

She moves the computer in front of her and lays down and starts to get comfortable. It looks like she's found her hidey hole. "Someone was using the captain's credentials to turn gravity against us. I caught it too late to stop them, but I shut everyone out of the system. I'm skulking through the internals to manipulate things from the inside. It's like walking through mud. I can do things. Just not quickly."

"I'm going through the ships AR and checking out what's going on. You have a different idea?"

Love wants to look at things in this order: Down the hallway where the corvid should be stationed, the hanger with the electrical problems, the command center, & engineering.

DigoDragon
2017-07-10, 05:32 AM
Rose moves up the corridor to catch up with Scope and Brazen.

D.KnightSpider
2017-07-10, 07:53 AM
After opting to remain inside the ventilation shaft, Sniper Scope began worming his way forward back to his previous vantage point. Along the way, his smouldering anger gave way to despondency.

"Sniper here. I'm fine." He muted the communications link, sighed heavily, and then resumed broadcasting. "Apologies, comrades, I should have foreseen that the Corvids were preparing some ambush and been more prepared."

The clues had been there: the table barricade, the Corvid comment about the plan, the taunts of the enemy... he simply had not seen what should have been obvious. He was an imbecile to the highest order to have been caught so unaware.

He reached his old haunt, and took aim at the unconscious Corvid. It would be so easy to slay the bird in its sleep, but he refrained. The art of this mission had already been botched. He would not soil it further by bringing dishonor upon the unit.

"The remaining hostile is in my sights."

Miltonian
2017-07-10, 11:00 AM
"This is Squad Two," a gruff mare's voice says, "We are taking advantage of the confusion and pushing forward. Alright, ponies! Charge!"

The corvid is down for the count. And not so much as a feather pokes out from the galley. However, a new voice crackles to life. Not across the comms, but from the ship itself. "Will someone please turn those blasted alarms off! And don't cower! Attack! Overwhelm them with your numbers!" There is a pause. "Bah! Useless, the lot of you! Get out there or I'll tear you limb from limb, stuff your remains inside a feather pillow, and then tear it apart too! I'll kill you so badly, you'll be reincarnated as a corpse!"

DigoDragon
2017-07-10, 11:10 AM
Rose looks up for a moment when the new grumpy voice cracks over the... ship's intercom? She gets on her headset, just the squad channel. "Love, the colts have the galley secured. Could you trace where that voice is broadcasting from? Please and thank you."

Elbeyon
2017-07-10, 11:38 AM
"Don't be so hard on yourself Scope. You can pin this one as my fault."

"Rose, I can only do..."

Love yells over the intercoms, "Hey! This is my ship now. I own it now. I'll turn the alarms off IF I want. You want to fight about it? Anytime of the day or year. I'll kick your flank. You useless piece of trash."

Love will try to find the voice's source and get video. From command?

Miltonian
2017-07-10, 11:59 AM
The voice is coming from the command center. Definitely from the command center. And it does not sound happy.

"Ponies," he hisses malevolently, "Of course." The comm cuts off.

With a beep and a bootup sound, Love has the AR system online! She can see everything. Including heavily-modified corvid dragging a pony around the command deck toward the captain's office.

Elbeyon
2017-07-10, 12:44 PM
Almost as quick as Rose asked Love replied, "He's at command with an unidentified hostage. The Captain? Heading towards the Captain's Office. He's a big boy. Lots of Mods. I wouldn't want to meet him in a dark alley."

She'll send a live feed to everyone's display devices.

Now that she has access to the AR system, Love wants to look around the ship: For the suspiciously missing enemy corvid, the hanger with the electrical problems, & sealed engineering.

*edit*

She pulls the various videos from her internal to AR. She's more comfortable that way. Around her computer, AR screens hover and display the ship's internals. She's starting to build her own little security display hub.

DigoDragon
2017-07-10, 12:52 PM
"Wow, what do they feeds these things in prison?" Rose asks no one in particular. She moves over to the squad stallions, glancing at the unconscious corvid for just a moment. "Well, guess we turn this area over to the crew and plan a hostage negotiation?"

Miltonian
2017-07-10, 01:17 PM
The system's databanks ping the corvid as General Ironbeak, the last of the corvid leadership and the only one to escape being stoned by the Elements of Harmony. He was unique among them in that he understood and could utilize pony technology in creative ways that the rest of his kind could not. Metaphorically, they were swinging around their rifles like clubs while he was duct-taping magazines together so he could reload faster. He was also notable for being the only corvid to take prisoners of war. All the better to interrogate and learn the secrets of Twilight's inventions. He heavily modified himself with cybernetics and, though most of the offensive ones were removed upon his capture, he remains the most dangerous corvid in existence.

The rest of the corvids are holed up in the galley. Several are lying in the floor, alive but unconscious. Others are trying to fend off the Royal Guard's assault, but they reacted too slow and the battle was joined right as the Royal Guard crested their barricade. They are fighting fiercely, though, and Love can see that several members of the guard are in trouble. They got too close to the corvid's claws and even the best armor only holds for so long.

The electrical short in the hangar is from a stress-fracture in the hull. It is a serious problem, but nothing that will destroy the ship for the next few hours.

And a peek into the sealed engineering section reveals the remainder of the crew! Mostly technicians and a few junior officers. All told, ten ponies of various kinds.

userpay
2017-07-10, 02:28 PM
Brazen facehooves. "Well ah suppose that explains how they got access to the systems but ah question why more of his mods weren't removed... Anyway onwards and forwards ah suppose." Brazen heads for the doorway leading to the galley. As much as he wanted to set up for a definitive attack with the battle already engaged there wasn't time for it, especially if the corvid's leader had a hostage elsewhere. "Time for a pincer attack."
Heading to work soon and I assume it'll take a few seconds for me to get to the door, so I'll go ahead and roll at least one shotgun attack ahead of time.
Shotgun (skill 15): [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Elbeyon
2017-07-10, 03:13 PM
"That sounds like a fun conversation. What are the acceptable body parts to cut up and out of captured enemy forces?" A rhetorical question. "I wouldn't want them to chop my bits up."

A small smile surfaces on her face as she sees Brazen head to help the struggling royal guard. Now, they're on the same page.

Love switches her comms to the engineering room. "Hello, Philomena crew. Love is here."

She'll try to fiddle with the red alert and quite the alarm down.

"The royal guard is fighting to secure the front half of the ship. You can camp in engineering, but if you would set that Warbot out to help the guard that'd be swell. Again, The corvid are being pushed toward the front of the ship so it should be safe to let the Warbot go."

DigoDragon
2017-07-10, 03:34 PM
Rose follows Brazen toward the ship's command center. She calls Star Chaser on her comm. "Star, we're moving forward to command. The ship's captain may be a hostage. Let the hanger crew know that they can tie up the unconscious corvids in the galley."

Miltonian
2017-07-10, 07:15 PM
After a moment, Love gets a reply. "Nice to hear your voice, baby," a stallion says in a low, seductive purr, "I've been waiting all my life for love to find me. Never thought it would be..." He breaks down and laughs. A heavy sigh follows.

"Ignore him," a mare says, "He's always like that. We copy and we're sending out the warbot. Give us a minute to change its mission parameters."

When they sign off, Star lets loose a giggle. "Sometimes I love having open comms," she says, "Roger that, Rose. Relaying message."

Brazen kicks down the door and blasts the first Corvid he sees. Right in the back, too. Most of them don't have armor, so it goes down immediately. The few with armor, two in total, are hunkered behind a barricade which faces toward the other door. Four unarmored corvids have taken up advantageous positions around the room. Of course, their backs are to Brazen as well. Three of them throw down their weapons.

DigoDragon
2017-07-10, 07:36 PM
Three of them throw down their weapons.

Rose raises her pistol and 'double-taps' the remaining armed one from that group.

9mm Pistol (using lethal rounds): skill 14, RoF 3

Attack 1: [roll0], Damage [roll1]
Attack 2: [roll2], Damage [roll3]

D.KnightSpider
2017-07-10, 08:59 PM
Given the rapidly changing circumstances, Sniper Scope opts to leave the nest. He vaults around the opening and drops to the floor. Then, he follows Brazen's lead into the galley.

Their armored friend certainly knows how to make an entrance

Sidestepping to clear Brazen of his line of fire, Sniper Scope levels his rifle at the closer of the two armored Corvid. He pulls the trigger twice.

"If you value your lives, surrender." He says with complete disregard for who can hear him. "I am not in a generous mood."

Laser Sniper Rifle RoF = 2

Attack 1
[roll0] vs. 15

Attack 2
[rollv]3d6[rollv] vs. 15

Damage 1
[rollv]5d6[rollv]

Damage 2
[rollv]5d6[rollv]

Miltonian
2017-07-10, 11:36 PM
The last armored corvid drops his weapon when Sniper Scope's two shots blow straight through his companion's armor and deep-fry her insides. Approximately four more lie unconscious on the ground. The Royal Guard pours in, guns pointing everywhere and at all the corvids. One of them salutes. "We'll secure the area. Star Chaser informed us of the situation with the captain. You lot go on ahead."

Meanwhile, Love receives a notification that an escape pod is being prepped for launch. Specifically, the captain's escape pod, which is located in his office. Right where General Ironbeak is.

userpay
2017-07-11, 12:24 AM
"Right, weapons down or the rest end up like him." Shots ring out from the side and behind Brazen as his teammates take out another armed corvid. "Case. In. Point. Well done." The stallion wades through the tide of Royal Guard, taking a moment to salute back, before continuing. Heading for the captain's area. "Roger that, we'll see if we can nab the last one. Lets move!"

Elbeyon
2017-07-11, 04:52 AM
After a moment, Love gets a reply. "Nice to hear your voice, baby," a stallion says in a low, seductive purr, "I've been waiting all my life for love to find me. Never thought it would be..." He breaks down and laughs. A heavy sigh follows.

"Ignore him," a mare says, "He's always like that. We copy and we're sending out the warbot. Give us a minute to change its mission parameters.""Thank you," she says to the mare like she's talking to the last reasonable pony on this ship.

She let's the group know about the escape situation. There is not a lot she can do to stop an escape pod. Engineers designed them to work in almost every situation; most situations she could make happen.

"I'm triggering the escape pod."

It'd be hard to stop the General Ironbeak's prep, but maybe she can make it go early without its passengers. Or, she could be helping a fugitive escape. That's not going to look good on her record.

DigoDragon
2017-07-11, 05:22 AM
"Can you stop it from launching?" Rose asks Love on the subject of escape pods. She runs off behind Brazen toward's the captain's room.

Elbeyon
2017-07-11, 05:56 AM
"Give me some ideas!," She asks hurriedly. "Maybe?"

"I've got an idea for you. Run faster! Brazen jump!"

DigoDragon
2017-07-11, 06:21 AM
"Give me some ideas!," She asks hurriedly. "Maybe?"

"What's holding the pod down? Clamps? Maybe lock those to keep the pod from being released?"

D.KnightSpider
2017-07-11, 07:32 AM
On his HUD, Sniper Scope retrieves the ship maps and begins plotting the most direct route to the escape pod in question. He creates an overlay of the route and pushes it to his teammates. Then, he scans the area for hostiles out of habit while hauling flank.

"Confuse the ship." He suggests to Love. "Make it think that the launch has already transpired."

Love's hacking skills far surpass his; if anyone can resolve this situation it is her.

Elbeyon
2017-07-11, 08:07 AM
"Ok, ok. I'll try to keep the pod here instead of launching it empty." She glaces to the command screen and then starts typing up a storm. Her front hooves thumping along with her running teammates.

Let me know if I should re-roll my hack skill. Love is changing course.

userpay
2017-07-11, 11:32 AM
"Jump?" Brazen wasn't entirely sure how that would help right now but he was game to try. Besides they needed to pass the Royal Guard's barricade.

Miltonian
2017-07-11, 12:58 PM
The ship's design is pretty utilitarian. The best way to the escape pod is straight ahead. Fortunately, Love's hack manages to lock the escape pod in place pretty quickly. However, after a few moments, she begins to see warnings about an airlock breach inside the pod. The outer airlock reports damage, heavy damage, growing every second. The inner door has been automatically sealed to prevent total atmospheric loss.

Brazen, Sniper, and Rose make it to the door to the bridge, which looks like it has been torn apart. A disturbing thought, since it was made from foot-thick steel alloy. The bridge itself is empty. The door to the captain's office is sealed and locked.

D.KnightSpider
2017-07-11, 01:57 PM
Sniper Scope relays the latest development to Love; then, recalling their last interactions with the general's cunning, adds: "Can you discern anything of Ironbeak's activity?"

It's a familiar routine by this point: take in the surrounding area, map out the walls and ceilings-- try to find a non-traditional entry point into the other room. Perhaps the ventilation grid again?

Miltonian
2017-07-11, 02:03 PM
The room is built to be a last holdout for the captain and bridge-crew to survive and escape, if necessary. It has an independent power supply and air-cycler, which means that except for the door, there are no other entrances. However, upon closer examination, there are claw marks right where the sliding door meets in the middle. The metal is bent backwards, indicating that someone insanely strong stuck their fingers in between the closing door and wrenched it open again. Probably when he first took the bridge.

DigoDragon
2017-07-11, 02:07 PM
"I do not want to hoof-wrestle that creature," Rose says. "We need to get this door open before the captain asphyxiates. Think we could force it open between the three of us?"

userpay
2017-07-11, 02:30 PM
"Paaaah, now we'll get to see what this suit can do." Brazen trots up to the door, giddy eagerness bubbling up inside. "You two cover me. There's a good chance he could be waiting on the other side." Rearing up Brazen slams into the door where the damage already is, using it as a 'grip' to start prying the door apart.
With the lifting bonus from the suit my effective strength is 23 I believe. Here's a roll just in case it's needed.
[roll0]

DigoDragon
2017-07-11, 02:34 PM
"You two cover me. There's a good chance he could be waiting on the other side."

Rose gets down low, under and slightly behind Brazen. She holds her pistol at the ready to neutralize whatever might be awaiting them behind the door.

Miltonian
2017-07-11, 02:41 PM
Brazen's suit digs into the metal and contorts it even more. With only a little twinge from the foreleg he almost dislocated, he pulls open the sealed door and the EDF peers inside.

The room is dimly lit, most of the lights switched off. However, a flashing yellow light and an alarm which repeatedly stats, "Warning. Airlock breach detected. Please evacuate to the nearest airtight room," dispel any sinister air this might have conjured. The airlock door to the escape pod is sealed shut. Not just mechanically, but magnetically too. The sign above it reads, "No atmosphere present," Though it is impossible for the EDF to hear the sounds of rending metal thanks to the lack of air to carry the sounds, the reverberations of heavy blows come from behind that door. The General, it seems, does not care that there is no oxygen on the other side anymore.

A single dazed mare lies next to the desk at the back of the room, a trickle of blood traveling down her face. She blinks at stares at the EDF with unfocused eyes.

DigoDragon
2017-07-11, 06:19 PM
A single dazed mare lies next to the desk at the back of the room, a trickle of blood traveling down her face. She blinks at stares at the EDF with unfocused eyes.

"I'm going in!" Rose rushes in to grab a hold of the mare and take her out of the room. She'll carry her if she has to.

If STR needed: [roll0] vs. 10

Miltonian
2017-07-11, 06:28 PM
While the rest of the team leaps into action in their own way, Rose rushes to mare's aid and safely gets her out of the room. Aside from a nasty bump on the head (the source of the bleeding) and probable concussion, she also has a number of bruises that probably go all the way to the bone. The back of her neck, right by the collar, has several scratches that are clearly caused by claws as well. It looks like she was dragged around by the back of her uniform without regard for her personal health, safety, or comfort.

DigoDragon
2017-07-11, 06:33 PM
Rose pulls out her medical gear and begins administering first aid to stop the bleeding.

First Aid: [roll0] vs. 18

Also, as Rose is caring for her, maybe Physiology roll, checking her body temp, just to ensure she's not a changeling? [roll1] vs. 13

D.KnightSpider
2017-07-11, 06:53 PM
From his position behind and aside Brazen Hoof, Sniper Scope frowned at the situation. There weren't many options. Rose had the rescue part of the mission under control, so he need not overly worry about that... although he would always worry over his teammates.

Nothing he carried would help; for anyone but Brazen to assault IronBeak would be tantamount to suicide.

He would have to take a shot to try and pull IronBeak's attention away from the door.

Sniper Scope raises his rifle and took aim. He had to be cautious, for he could not afford a miss under these circumstances.

"Targeting."

Aiming this turn, just in case Brazen has any other ideas.

userpay
2017-07-11, 09:01 PM
Brazen keeps his shotgun leveled at the door as Rose grabs the mare. "So... Thoughts. We could let him suffocate on his own, we could try to subdue him in close quarters, or ah could set a breeching charge to go off once we get behind the previous bulkhead and let the decompression launch him away with a damaged pod. Given these doors here not sure how long those will last."

Miltonian
2017-07-11, 09:05 PM
Rose's extensive medical training allows her to easily treat the mare's injuries. She bandages the head-wound and administers some pain-killers for the less serious injuries. The mare definitely has a concussion, however, and that will prove a little more complicated. However, her uniform marks her as the ship's tactical officer. The fact that she's still alive means the General wanted her for something. Who knows what that could be?

Elbeyon
2017-07-11, 09:28 PM
Love will check if General Ironbeak has any oxygen tank/breathing cybernetics.

Miltonian
2017-07-11, 09:31 PM
As a matter of fact, he does! The cybernetics were deemed to dangerous to remove without risking his life. And besides, in the event of the station venting atmosphere, they wouldn't need to issue him a vacsuit. He is perfectly capable of surviving in a vacuum for an hour if not more.

DigoDragon
2017-07-11, 09:41 PM
However, her uniform marks her as the ship's tactical officer. The fact that she's still alive means the General wanted her for something. Who knows what that could be?

"Gang, she isn't the captain, she's tactical. I don't have the captain."

Elbeyon
2017-07-11, 09:52 PM
Love pull's up his file and pins it next to the command feed. "He has an internal oxygen supply that will last at least an hour. If we don't do something he will get into that pod and wrench himself free from the ship."

She starts closing blast doors around the group to seal the rest of the ship off from any unexpected explosions.

"Rose, if you want to move your patient I'll open a door until you get out."

userpay
2017-07-11, 09:55 PM
"So he could potentially still have ah hostage..." The odds weren't looking good if they couldn't confirm whether the corvid had somepony with it or not. "Does the crow have zero gee movement mods still on him? Could try to blast him beyond reach of anything but ah can't do that without knowing if he's got ah hostage still. Don't suppose there's any active weapon batterys left?"

Elbeyon
2017-07-11, 09:59 PM
"I only saw him with one pony. I'll start looking through the old logs though."

"Star Chaser, Could you look into his mods please?"

DigoDragon
2017-07-11, 10:15 PM
"Rose, if you want to move your patient I'll open a door until you get out."

"Understood. Watch the colts, okay?"

Rose takes the tactical officer out of the captain's room and to a safe distance in case a hull breech happens.

Miltonian
2017-07-11, 10:37 PM
The logs confirmed that he only had one pony with him. And logic would dictate that she would be the tactical officer. If he threw her against the wall, then he might have assumed that would kill her and moved onto trying to escape.

"Already done," Star Chaser says, "Here you go."

General Ironside
Subject has undergone extreme modification. It is safe to say he has more machinery in him than flesh and bone.
Armored Plating that, when combined even with conventional body armor, gives more than enough protection to block anything not specifically designed to kill a tank. (Partially removed)
Cybernetically enhanced claws, which include an electric current used to stun opponents (Removed)
Forelegs with enhanced strength and embedded blades (which have been removed)
Maneuvering jets in the wings (Removed)
His entire body is adapted for trips both underwater and in space. Internal oxygen supply will last at least an hour

Elbeyon
2017-07-11, 10:49 PM
To Rose, "I'll keep an eye on them. You coming back?" Love flicks the command video larger. The quick rewind on the logs didn't show him putting a pony in the airlock. At least, not as far back as she checked.

"Brazen, he's the only one in the airlock."

She turns her attention to escorting Rose out with the doors opening in front of her and closing behind her.

D.KnightSpider
2017-07-12, 12:22 AM
He didn't want to try and shoot through the airlock door. There were too many negative variables for such a rash action. But as more data came to them and he learned more of his foe, an idea began to take root within his mind. It was insane and grizzly, but it might be workable.

"Love, can you flood that airlock with straight oxygen-- no nitrogen?" Sniper Scope asked.

DigoDragon
2017-07-12, 05:51 AM
To Rose, "I'll keep an eye on them. You coming back?" Love flicks the command video larger. The quick rewind on the logs didn't show him putting a pony in the airlock. At least, not as far back as she checked.

"Yeah, soon as I discharge my patient. Just give them the best advantage and i'll find my way back once I'm done here," Rose answers.

After the bleeding has been stopped and non-changeling status confirmed, Rose picks up her medical gear. "We're going to need to take care of that concussion once the bridge is secured from Ironbeak. Do you know what he is trying to do in there?" she asks the officer.

Elbeyon
2017-07-12, 06:20 AM
"Too Easy!" That phantom pain twinkles. These ponies are not giving it to me easy today. I'm always half-flanking two things at once. Something has to give way. Alright multitasking - I'll open the doors, let Rose out, start filling the airlock, and then close the doors behind Rose as she comes back in.

Love puts her hoof on a AR screen displaying the ship's schematics and draws a straight to the galley, letting all those doors open.

"Alright~ You're the point pony~ I've got your flank~ Oxygen, nitrogen. Whatever, I'll fill that airlock right up!. Life support might be packing what your asking to be delivered, and the leak might allow me to just shove it right in without filtering." She's talking out loud as she's working now.

Miltonian
2017-07-12, 12:07 PM
The mare frowns at Rose and stares at her like she is the most confusing puzzle in the world. "What?" she asks softly, "I...I don't speak Prench. Do you know Equestrian?"

Love's hack succeeds. In fact, it succeeds so well that the computer now views filling the airlock with oxygen as its most important function. To this end, it shuts down life-support to the rest of the ship in order to better channel all the oxygen to the airlock. An airlock which has a huge gaping hole that leads directly to space in its outer door.

Of course, venting atmosphere is against one of the computer's primary directives. So as it goes to put all the ship's oxygen inside the airlock, another part of it clamps down on the tubes and prevents any oxygen from flowing out. Errors show up all over the place on Love's screen. In the end, the two sides compromise that they will try opening and shutting the outer door to see if that will make it airtight. And so it slips open, the General slips out, and it slams shut again. The problem was not fixed. The airlock still won't hold air. The entire system decides to go off-line so as to have some time to itself to think through this conundrum. All the ship's systems go down, except the emergency lights.

DigoDragon
2017-07-12, 12:35 PM
The mare frowns at Rose and stares at her like she is the most confusing puzzle in the world. "What?" she asks softly, "I...I don't speak Prench. Do you know Equestrian?"

"I am speaking... dear me, that concussion is bad." Rose opens her medical bag again and this time tests the mare's pupils for sensitivity. She gets on the comm to the hangar, "Is there a medical team available to pick up at the bridge? I have the tactical officer here with a serious concussion. I need a CT scanner ready in your med bay."

All the ship's systems go down, except the emergency lights.

Bucks. She switches to her squad's channel. "Guys, what are you doing? Tell me this is part of the plan because I will need that power back soon."

Rose waits a short moment to confirm if a medical team can reach the bridge or not.

D.KnightSpider
2017-07-12, 01:14 PM
"Alright~ You're the point pony~ I've got your flank~ Oxygen, nitrogen. Whatever, I'll fill that airlock right up!. Life support might be packing what your asking to be delivered, and the leak might allow me to just shove it right in without filtering." She's talking out loud as she's working now.

"What?" Sniper Scope tried to make sense of Love's strange diatribe. It took him far too long to realize that she was already acting upon his request. "No, I simply need to know--"

And then it was over. The entire ship went dead.

Sniper Scope slammed his hoof against his face. At the moment, he desperately wished he could curse. But not caring much for royalty removed that option from one's literary ability.

"No. IronBeak escaped." He informed Rose.

He jogged over to the airlock. Maybe by some fluke of chance IronBeak was still in a position to be neutralized.

He should have taken the shot.

Miltonian
2017-07-12, 01:37 PM
"We have a medical team on the...what the buck just happened?" Star Chaser says. Fortunately, the comms the EDF and Royal Guard are using do not rely on the ship for power. "Love, fix it. We need this ship's systems online."

There are, unfortunately, no windows into the airlock. And with the ship down, the EDF cannot even use the AR to tell if he is still behind it or not.

userpay
2017-07-12, 03:07 PM
Brazen similarly facehoofs as the power goes out. "So, want to wait for Love to reboot it or want to grab onto something while I blow the door?"

Elbeyon
2017-07-12, 04:20 PM
"Crap!" Love stands up on her hind hooves and faints onto the ground with a metal thud.

Laying on her back she says, "Woah, Woah! Before you go blowing things up look behind you. The rest of the ship is exposed to that airlock. I never closed the door behind Rose. You'll need to close that door without power before you even think about getting to Ironbeak."

"I think he's gone team. If you're going after him still you'll have to do it on your own. I need to get down to the maneframe to fix this. I abused the ship a wee bit, tickled her a bit too much, and she shut right up." She sighs. "There are so many doors to open to get to the computers!" She leans to the side and stands up, and then starts packing up her equipment. "I'll be opening doors if you need me."

"Star Chaser. Feel free to let the engineers out of their box. Maybe, they can help get the ship up and running again."

Afk for about an hour. :smallfrown:

DigoDragon
2017-07-12, 04:52 PM
Rose gets on SquadComm. "Don't beat yourself up, Love. The ship was only trying to protect everyone. We still have a station full of escaped convicts and captured guards to rescue."

D.KnightSpider
2017-07-12, 07:21 PM
Sniper Scope considered Brazen's request and then shook his head.

"I agree with the others. By the time you sealed the room and I opened this door, IronBeak will be long gone. It would be a great risk to the ship for little benefit. Also, we would be fighting in a vacuum and I cannot breathe in space."

Here, he paused to tap his ballistic best meaningfully.

"Beside, IronBeak was a target of opportunity. He is not our mission. The more time and resources we expend on IronBeak, the less we have for our real target."

Sniper Scope dug into one pouch of his web gear and withdrew his signature calling card. He flicked the spent cartridge across the floor. As much as he loathed signing his name to this disaster, one had to take responsibility for one's failures as well as success.

Miltonian
2017-07-12, 09:02 PM
As the debate goes on, the medical team arrives at Rose's position, three ponies in the white, medic uniform with a red cross on the front. Though it is very good armor, some have questioned the wisdom of dressing up the medics in such obvious uniforms. It is easy for an enemy to pick them off, hence why they tend to stay behind when not needed. However, despite complaints, the uniforms were never changed. The signed petition came back with a large "Denied" stamped on the front and the note "Don't worry, you look fabulous" written in very neat letters down below.

The leader, a grey-coated unicorn mare, salutes as the others begin unpacking their supplies. "What's the status on the patient?"

Elbeyon
2017-07-12, 09:05 PM
Love pushes air out like she's going to whistle but never presses her lips. "You know me. It's waste under the bridge at this point."

She keeps packing up her equipment. When she's ready to go, she'll use one of her power packs to start opening doors toward her squad. The ship engineers can fix up the ship. That's not her problem.

After putting a wrench in her bag she uses her hoof to blow a kiss to the ship. "I'll miss you. You wonderful machine you."

"I'm really glad we headed here first! I didn't think the guards would struggle so much. If I remember correctly the corvid came over on trams. We should be able to use that to get to the station's core."

DigoDragon
2017-07-12, 09:13 PM
The leader, a grey-coated unicorn mare, salutes as the others begin unpacking their supplies. "What's the status on the patient?"

"Stable, but she has a serious concussion. Thinks I'm speaking in Prench," Rose answers. She then lists the medications given and last vitals taken.

Miltonian
2017-07-12, 09:16 PM
The medic nods. "Right. We'll take it from here."

"Before you get too far, Love," Star Chaser says, "I got a present for you. Not much of a gift, but it's this little jack that will allow me to tap into the station's internal comms from here. If you want it, swing by before you leave."

Elbeyon
2017-07-12, 09:19 PM
"Before you get too far, Love," Star Chaser says, "I got a present for you. Not much of a gift, but it's this little jack that will allow me to tap into the station's internal comms from here. If you want it, swing by before you leave."

"Yes, Love, over."

"I just need to open this door first!" She stares it down as she packs her equipment. The death match between the two will surely leave her victorious.

userpay
2017-07-13, 12:13 AM
Brazen sighs, not wanting to let one such as Ironbeak to escape but they indeed had more important matters. "Star Chaser. Can you relay to any other ships in the area about whose in the escape pod bearing this ship's credentials? Chances are he's hoping to link up with his buddies but if we've anyone in range it's a chance. Engineers, any chance you could try shooting the pod down with the warbot once we get the ship running again?"

Miltonian
2017-07-13, 12:31 AM
"Roger that," Star Chaser says, "Sending the information to the other two ships. I'd go after him myself, but with the power out, there's a good chance I'd damage the Thunderbird's airlock trying to get out from here. Wrench the outer door off or something. Maybe take a chunk of the hull with it. Not fun."

"The, uh, warbot," one of the engineers says apologetically, "Is too big to fit out an airlock. We had to bring it in piece by piece and assemble it up here."

Love has no trouble going door to door and opening them up one at a time. She gets the jack from Star Chaser and, presumably, meets up with the rest of the team. Ship sensors report that the escape pod ejected and set a course for corvid territory. Unfortunately, that is also where the station is drifting: corvid space. They don't have good ships, but they do have atmospheric jumpers. If they decide to try and take the station in force, they could prove problematic.

The comms come to life again. "Attention away teams, this is Central. Lunar Guard has deployed and is approaching the station. Remember, they will try to secure the main control room and comms. If they succeed, everypony's job will be a lot easier."

"Message from the princesses," Star Chaser informs Harrier Squad, "Patching them through."

Luna's voice comes first, enthusiastic and energized. "Well-fought, Harrier Squad! Thy princess approves of thy zeal and vigor! What say thee, sister?"

"I cannot deny the effectiveness of your methods," Celestia says with a hint of reluctance, "You all are very good at what you do. Even if General Ironbeak escaped, you pressed forward and neutralized a strategy we have never seen before. For that, I must commend you."

The ship is taken. However, the question of where the captain went remains.

DigoDragon
2017-07-13, 05:12 AM
With the tactical officer in the hooves of the medical team, Rose regroups with her squad. "Thank you, your highness-es. There is still much work to be done, and we will deliver."

D.KnightSpider
2017-07-13, 06:38 AM
The princesses' words rang hollow; how could they not? All Harrier Squad had really accomplished was shooting a few Corvids in the back and letting IronBeak escape.

And now anything that IronBeak did was on his hooves.

He followed protocol and thanked the princesses, but there was no weight to his words.

DigoDragon
2017-07-13, 07:32 AM
Rose gently tugged on Sniper's leg. "Hey, you going to be alright? We should search around for the captain's whereabouts. Still unaccounted for."

She looks around for any closets or storage units on the bridge. Someplace equipment may be stashed with the idea the captain got stuffed in one.

Perception: [roll0] vs. 13

D.KnightSpider
2017-07-13, 10:00 AM
Sniper Scope concealed a wince at the contact, and covered it by contemplating Rose's question for a moment. Physically? Yes. He was unharmed and would likely remain so. Emotionally? Presently, no. But he suspected that he would feel much better once IronBeak was dead. This caveat allowed him to truthfully answer her question exactly as asked.

"Yes. I shall be... and you are correct. We should locate the captain before attempting anything else."

He took a quick glance about the area, taking in the details anew.

Rose already passed the perception test, so... I'll just do an observation check for the fun of it!

[roll0] vs. 14 (Observation skill)

Miltonian
2017-07-13, 11:58 AM
The private armory for the bridge is the only cranny left unexplored. The door slides open easily, the lock broken into pieces by an earlier assault. Inside, Harrier Squad finds the captain. He lies inside a broken, green cocoon. He's young for a captain, though right now he looks drained, weary beyond all measure. His coat and eyes are a dull grey and he stares listlessly into space. When the door opens, he rolls over and looks towards them. "Oh look. My rescue arrived. Eh, better late than never." He chuckles and gives them the coldest smile they've ever seen. "But still too late. They already got me. Dragged the others off too."

DigoDragon
2017-07-13, 12:52 PM
"Oh look. My rescue arrived. Eh, better late than never." He chuckles and gives them the coldest smile they've ever seen. "But still too late. They already got me. Dragged the others off too."

Rose takes a step back, training instinct reaching for her pistol. "Taken where?" she demands.

Miltonian
2017-07-13, 01:15 PM
"To the Hive," he replies matter-of-factly, "Their queen's back now, you know. They need all the food they can get." His head lolls to the side. "I suppose I should care, but I don't. They drained that from me too, the caring. You can only care about something if you love it, even if only a little. I don't. I don't love anything anymore." He sighed and lay down again. "It's very...freeing."

D.KnightSpider
2017-07-13, 02:39 PM
This might have been disconcerting... had Sniper Scope not played such an integral roll in botching their previous operation. Ironically, he didn't have the emotional reserve to really care about the Captain. Later, he would, but not now.

Or perhaps there was another reason he didn't want to care about the Captain. Sniper Scope buried that train of thought.

His eyes flicked over the area to take in details and potential hazards, then he returned his gaze to the captain.

"Then you shouldn't mind telling us how many there were and what exactly happened."

Miltonian
2017-07-13, 02:48 PM
"I could," the captain admits, "But you could just look at the personnel files. That'd tell you how many changelings there were aboard. One of them was my wife. Ship's cook. Best food you ever tasted." A flicker of emotion passes over his face. "She was the one who drained me. Hurt. But now it's over. I don't hurt anymore. Suppose I deserve it. Couldn't pull the trigger. Even stun weapons are sometimes lethal and her family had a history of weaker hearts. I'd be alright if I'd just not cared." He lapses into silence again.

A moment later, Star Chaser says softly, "I've run the calculations. Between the changelings held prisoner, the ones who were guards, and the ones on the crew of this ship, there are seventy-six uncer Chrysalis' control in total. One of them was the chief computer officer of Tartarus Station. You might have an opponent next time, Love."