PDA

View Full Version : Concerning Amulet of Proof against Detection and Location

willdaBEAST
2017-06-23, 08:21 PM
The DMG describes the item as follows:

Wondrous item, uncommon (requires attainment)

While wearing this amulet, you are hidden from divination magic. You can't be targeted by such magic or perceived through magical scrying sensors.

I asked my DM if that would include every divination spell, like detect thoughts or true seeing. He hand waved the idea it would prevent anything like detect thoughts, since there's another item that specifically deals with that (ring of mind shielding).

To me the language is broad enough that the amulet might block absolutely any divination spell, but I'm curious what the general consensus is.

Sigreid
2017-06-23, 09:02 PM
To me the text is pretty clear that you cannot be targeted by divination magic.

p_johnston
2017-06-23, 09:24 PM
I'd argue that hidden does not equate to immune. If someone knows where you are and cast's detect thoughts on you it would still work. The amulet functions to prevent you being seen by spells such as scrying.

Corran
2017-06-23, 09:37 PM
Anything that has to target you is off (like detect thoughts).
But see invisibility does not target you.
The question is, does see invisibility count as a magical scrying sensor?
Not sure, but I am tempted to say no.

Edit: Ask this question in the RAW thread, pretty sure they will give you a good answer. It has never let me down.

coolAlias
2017-06-23, 09:43 PM
'target' has a pretty specific meaning in the rules, and a spell like true seeing targets the person touched; that person would then be able to seen anyone hidden by the likes of invisibility even if such person was wearing that amulet.

Likewise, detect thoughts has a range of 'self', after which the caster is able to detect the thoughts of any creature he can see. The divination spell itself is not targeting you, so the amulet wouldn't protect you, though being hidden or invisible would.

djcjr
2018-11-10, 11:31 PM
'target' has a pretty specific meaning in the rules, and a spell like true seeing targets the person touched; that person would then be able to seen anyone hidden by the likes of invisibility even if such person was wearing that amulet.

Likewise, detect thoughts has a range of 'self', after which the caster is able to detect the thoughts of any creature he can see. The divination spell itself is not targeting you, so the amulet wouldn't protect you, though being hidden or invisible would.

First, I would like to emphasize that this item is very powerful.

Second, Detect thoughts has a range of self but the magic that does the work --the divination magic-- can not even see the wearer of "the Amulet of Proof against Detection and Location".

Divination magic can neither target nor perceive the wearer.

Darth Ultron
2018-11-11, 12:04 AM
The "proof against detection and location" is designed to prevent Scrying magic, not seeing someone via sight (or enhanced sight like True Seeing). The "you are hidden from divination magic" is basically flavour text. The second sentence tells you what the spell actually does.

It's had the same poor wording from 3E on. It prevents scrying, it's not a super cheap anti divination artifact.

djcjr
2018-11-11, 01:45 AM
The "proof against detection and location" is designed to prevent Scrying magic, not seeing someone via sight (or enhanced sight like True Seeing). The "you are hidden from divination magic" is basically flavour text. The second sentence tells you what the spell actually does.

It's had the same poor wording from 3E on. It prevents scrying, it's not a super cheap anti divination artifact.

You're right, the wording is iffy.

The Boon of Undetectability is different (a bit stronger, with stealth bonus) but the wording is, to my mind, better:
"You gain a +10 bonus to Stealth checks, and you can't be detected or targeted by divination magic, including scrying sensors."

Callak_Remier
2018-11-11, 07:51 PM
To me the text is pretty clear that you cannot be targeted by divination magic.

Detect thoughts is an Area of effect spell with the option for targeted. So as per RAW you would notice that the creature infront of you is a blindspot within the Aoe. You would be unable to target them however