PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Stranger with the Burning Eyes: Conversion (PEACH)

Awun
2017-06-23, 10:17 PM
So recently one of the players in my current Pathfinder campaign brought a rather interesting prestige class from the 3.5 Tome of Necromancy to my attention, the Stranger with the Burning Eyes (www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Stranger_with_the_Burning_Eyes_(3.5e_Prestige_Clas s)). I thought that the class was an amazing concept, but its core ability "Burning Soul (Su)" seemed much too powerful as written, and the BAB and save progressions did not seem to make sense for a full casting prestige class. I tried my hand at converting it to Pathfinder and fixing the issues. Here is the result. (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1W7zFcHSWYp6FbuDVaOtk4LBUWepHFKf0Jk2BgPB-1As/edit?usp=sharing)

My conversion might be overly conservative, so some feedback would be appreciated.

Scaileanna
2017-06-24, 03:34 AM
i think the nerfing of Burning Soul is a bit much as that's the whole thing behind the class, to be a body stealing immortal soul, though limiting how strong of a creature you can possess is fine (as you don't want them trying to possess some ultra powerful being and win cause their target crit failed and so now they're a dragon or something, though personally i think it's better to let them try possess whatever they want though putting limits does make it more balanced). The limited number of uses per day and making it a spell-like instead of supernatural ability seems like to much to me (though balance has never been my strong suit for some things) as it's no longer a spell at this point but an integral part of the Strangers being, he's not casting possession on you he's forcing himself into your body to make it his own and he's no longer truly tethered to one body. A final thing, the token ability i think you over sighted as it's meant to only be jewelry that you could make it, not a weapon as if you drop your weapon or are disarmed your possession would immediately end or if it got sundered you die,overall not very reliable to keep a body yours (though being a weapon that posses people like soul edge would make for a great character).

just my 2 cents, again not great at balancing things personally though i also don't know how it would play if you just straight ported it over but limiting the power of what you could posses seemed like the only fair change to make

Awun
2017-06-24, 12:46 PM
Scaileanna: Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, my biggest fear was the possibility of one of my players possessing something super powerful. The example I gave when he asked about the nerf was the Tarrasque rolling a natural one after being targeted for posession. On considering it, I will probably change Burning Soul back to an at will supernatural ability, the HD limit by itself likely fixes the greatest concern I had. As for the token changes, I was thinking of something like Soul Edge or any number of cursed weapons when I made the change, because as a concept it is rather neat and adds more role playing options to the ability. I was also trying to bring the token a little more into line with a bonded item in terms of wording, and the original ability's option to put pretty much anything but weapon enchants on a piece of jewelry seemed odd to me.

Awun
2017-06-25, 12:15 AM
Based on comments here and elsewhere I have made some changes to my conversion.

First Draft. (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jMrj0Qdss807g2YpQ3jhysudfex96Yttt-kRbVTozb0/edit?usp=sharing)

Current. (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1W7zFcHSWYp6FbuDVaOtk4LBUWepHFKf0Jk2BgPB-1As/edit?usp=sharing)

The second link will reflect the class as it evolves.

Scaileanna
2017-06-25, 01:27 AM
i would suggest fixing the issue with making the token a non-worn item like a weapon or wand as dropping the weapon or giving it to someone else would be removal from the host body, maybe make a tether range for non-worn tokens?

Awun
2017-06-25, 04:24 AM
Scaileanna: I've altered Token to include the text:

"If the token is ever more than 100 feet away from the body the Stranger with the Burning eyes is possessing, the Stranger, as a free action..."

But, I'm not certain if a longer or shorter tether distance would be better. Also, I made it apply to worn and held tokens for simplicity, and because a successful steal combat maneuver could be an issue with worn items.

Awun
2019-11-14, 09:49 PM
Due to a bit of inspiration around Halloween I've made a few updates to this prestige class. First, as opposed to instant death when without an available body to possess there is now a 1 round grace period during which a character of this class can persist and interact as an incorporeal creature. Second, the language of "Token", "Inferno", and "Lore of the Burning Flame" have been revised for clarity. Token specifically, now accounts for interactions with abilities that can be used to modify items(ex. Legendary Item path ability), and clarifies what happens when a token is destroyed.

Kris Moonhand
2019-11-15, 05:34 AM
This is a very interesting PrC. Bit more powerful than the Body Snatcher, since the ability is unlimited instead of just being a spell/power. I like the token ability, very flavorful. Your rework is good, especially the clarification text.

Awun
2019-12-17, 11:41 PM
This is a very interesting PrC. Bit more powerful than the Body Snatcher, since the ability is unlimited instead of just being a spell/power. I like the token ability, very flavorful. Your rework is good, especially the clarification text.

Thanks, I am very glad you liked it. I actually wasn't aware of the Body Snatcher when I first stated converting this PrC, though now I am curious how they would compare if played in the same game. I agree that the unlimited uses of the Burning Soul ability makes this class a touch more powerful, but I think that the potentially lethal failure points of the ability balances things. As for the token, it was my favorite aspect, other than the possession, of the orginal PrC.