PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e] World's Largest Dungeon - IC

Ruess
2017-06-24, 10:34 AM
This is the IC thread for our adventures in World's Largest Dungeon.
OOC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?528175-3-5e-World-s-Largest-Dungeon-OOC&p=22126618)

This is where the violence happens, loot glitters and fates are decided by the whims of dice. Tread with care.
Welcome to Merensa

Welcome to Merensa, a small island in a remote corner of the world far removed from all trade ship routes. This inhospitable piece of barren rock is home to eight fortress-towers on its shores, a small mining industry, a small settlement, the docks the serves as the only means of transportation, and lastly the very thing you are here for: an ancient dungeon that modern history has no knowledge of.

You have arrived to Merensa by a large trading vessel group. It that was the only one making the trip in the future, short of hiring a Black Ship specifically, an alternative about four to five digis too expensive for your wallet at the time. The less said about the harrowing trip with its too many sea monsters and the raging tides the better, - nevertheless, here you stand alive and unharmed. At the present you are standing in the dockside landing proper as you have left the immediate area of arrivals where you found your dryland feet and from which you moved up from the wooden piers, where ships halt before being moved to the side for loading via cranes, and onto proper rocky outcroppings where several platforms are built to form a welcoming place, and which is currently rife with people calming from from the trip.

You, your traveling companions, some other travelers and a throng of merchants accompanied by their tagalongs of varying professionalism, have gathered to what amounts to the center of this settlement: a large well full of water and some green plants to break up the vividly colored stone everything around you is hewn from, and then about a dozen buildings made from rock. You can tell about five of them are stores, one is a tavern and the rest are miscellaneous ones without any indicators about their purpose. The merchants are meeting with people and setting to business, and the other people are either sitting by the well on benches or wandering off to to their thing.

Sun is shining from overhead bright and golden while its rays play warmth plays lightly on your skin. Spring is slowly trying to nudge Winter off of its throne. From your spot you can see the canal through which your ship arrived to this island's center, and the eight fortress towers that more or less house the garrisons needed to keep the rest of the island safe. They look as inviting as death, to put it nicely, and you feel you do not want to see more of them.

According to your research you can safely make your way into the ancient dungeon by finding the office of Rakner Mining Corporation in here. It is an easy task given how you can see the company's banner flying high above their little office right next to the tavern. All you need to do is walk in, declare your intent to do exploring, and that is it more or less.

It is eleven in the early mid-day, eleven O' clock sharp in fact. You were offered low-grade breakfast sometime in the morning if you had the stomach to down it mid-storm.

What now?

Chimaera
2017-06-24, 03:49 PM
Johann get off the ship and stretch his legs. The travel was chaos and more than once during it he wondered if he would be safer inside the walled school of wizardry and, for just a feverish night, he regreted been born an artist. But then the storm is gone and they finally arrived and he felt safe again in land.

He walks amazed at the colored rocks and have to hold his urge to make a painting: the whole village could fit in a single piece of canvas, the ugly and menacing towers in the horizon as well as the harbor and the few ships on it.

"Can you smell it guys?", he says excited to his companions, "This is the scent of treasures and fame. Also, eggs. I'm starving. Anyone up for a real meal?", slowly walking toward the inn.

Az'rael
2017-06-24, 09:51 PM
Seeing some of the shady characters that were sharing the passage boat to the island with him, Khaldor decides it best to double check his pack, not only to make sure that everything is in its proper place, but that everything is in fact still there. Once his gear is settled, he tries his best to encourage his new traveling companions that they should share a meal before setting off on their grand (or reckless) adventure.

"Would be best if we all broke some bread and shared some tales before heading to our possible doom. That way, we can share some memories of those we lose should something go wrong."

Khaldor realizes as he is speaking that this may not have been the best way to start their new journey in a strange place, but shrugs it off and follows Johann regardless looking for a cheap filling meal.

PeacefulOak
2017-06-25, 01:00 AM
Barack

The morning had not been kind to Barack, and his dour face reflected this as he stood looking out on fountains, greenery, and storefronts. It had all started with the murderous riptides surrounding the island tossing the boat around all night as it approached the channel (or at least so it had seemed to the as-yet sea hating dwarf). The channel itself had been a welcome relief from the unrelieved open expanse of the endless ocean (*Barack shudders at the memory*), and yet had also been an immense waste of his time as some merchant had taken it on himself to regale Barack with innumerable minutiae about the towers and their history, and the discovery of the channel, and the reasons for the expedition, and the difference between corn hens and chickens and turkeys, and the myriad uses for fowle parts... Barack supposed there might have been useful information somewhere in there, but none of it had made its way past the sea-sickness... and the excitement of finally nearing his goal. That excitedness only JUST managed to ssurvive the immense difficulty of leading a stubborn mule up and out of the hold and then down a gangplank. Barack was certain that Stubborn Mule (as he had come to call the evil beast over the course of their journey) had done everything in its power to make the process even more challenging than it needed to be.

Still, standing with his heavily booted feet on stone rather than wood planks, with his weapon ready and his destination almost in sight, Barack could feel his mood lifting. As the unforttunate excusee for breakfast rumbled its final ways through him, he considered the importance of establishing some form of base of operations before delving deep into destiny. "Lads, I think we could afford to secure some lodgings, at least for the night, before heading down into the dark. I'll meet you all in the tavern after I take a quick look about, and answer lady nature's call, if you get my meaning." Turning slightly away from the group, Barack looks for a narrow space between two buildings or some similar secluded space to do his business, and begins heading in that direction.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-06-25, 02:11 AM
Slag

"I don't smell anything." Slag says simply. "I'm not hungry but I will join you for a drink." He clomps behind the others. Slag was glad to be on solid land again.

Silver Night
2017-06-25, 04:54 AM
Darla

Darla was mostly glad the have solid land under her again - she didn't get sick or hate the sea, as such, but it made her feel a bit off balance. Now she studies the towers, the well, and finally the tavern, "Best to eat well while we have the chance. No telling when we'll get a hot meal once we get started."

INoKnowNames
2017-06-25, 09:08 AM
Any guilt the Aasimar may have felt for this unauthorized excursion from her monastery was lost in the rush of the wind, the storm-tossed journey strangely filling her with a feeling somewhere between that of determination and an adrenaline rush. Neither the alien creatures nor the turbulent waters could dampen her inner light, her radiant spirit. Were the weather to permit her, she would have happily danced along the desk of the trip, so excited was she to be able to steer her own destiny. Instead, she was satisfied with recounting everything she'd ever read in her head and attempting to assist the crew in any way she could.

As the new companions Gloria made on her way to this point talked shop, she lazily looked around her, a contented look on her face as she basked in the rare radiance of the warm sun, in spite of the harrowing surroundings. The desire to see if she could set her heels to the side and dip her legs into the water, regardless of the onlookers, was overwhelming, particularly since this may well be the last time possible to be able to enjoy the caress of Pelor's light for a long long time, and her eyes lingered on the well as she contemplated that possibility.

Instead, she pats the pack-mule baring the remainder of her supplies gently on the muzzle. "I was contented with the food we received earlier, actually. I think I might speak to the person in charge of the Rakner Mining Corporation instead, and ensure preparations are complete. I shall convene with you shortly, and maybe then pinch a bit of what leftovers remain." she replies in her serene voice with a sweet smile, heading in the direction of the office.

Ruess
2017-06-26, 03:39 AM
Tavern
The heavy oaken doors both creak open with resistance brought on by their heavy weight and stout frame. And when you creak it to swing it open, a happy riot of noise literally washes over you before you step into a large establishment that is packed to brim with population that seems to be in the process of throwing a massive party.

Decorations of a great many colors, of which each is vivid and worn by age but clearly festive, are hung everywhere in the ceiling. Small banners are hung from the ceiling amid them and they flutter in the slight wind you have created. Bright spheres of golden light hover near said banners casting daylight everywhere in such amounts you would swear your are outdoors in some rare Summer day. The people inside the building share the sentiment and are making merry each in their own manner and not a single one seems to be set aside or not joining in the joyour uproar that you feel shaking the floor boards underneath you.

The inside of this establishment is a large and spacious one but it is packed full of people. Tables - the only furniture except some stools spread about - are on the very edges by the walls where they are loaded to brim in foodstuffs but far moreso with frothing drinks too many to name but all of which you smell to brim with alcoholic content. Of persons in here you witness a great variety in them but most remarkable is that dwarves and gnomes number especially many contrasted to all others even if you are certain many others who contrast the majority of the many species known. Each one of them is being merry, frequently so with either a heavy tankard full of frothing substance or other drinking implement. Many are holding toasts of varying quality in spite or perhaps due to being drunk, and others have one or more plates loaded with foods by them.

Over all this dim of life and party, you hear a song in the air - one that now rings out to the streets.

For we're all jolly good fellows~! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjebCMs7LkU&t=0m12s)
For we're all jolly good fellows~!
For we're all jolly good fellow~!

You discover foodstuffs on the sides, and a very short look around reveals you it is all for free for whoever takes it. The staff haul in more, and by the look of the minotaurs no one is asking how they keep bringing it more. The set is ample in variety, and even moreso in the sheer bulk of it that is set ready. You have an opportunity to sample or feast at your pleasure and in short order find yourself with a tankard in hand less than ten full steps inside the place. The kitchen and the bar is on the opposite side of the entrance...so if you wish to head there you have a rather thick throng to get through.

Office
Gloria finds the office to be a neat little stone building that has a watchman on the outside, and one who is willing to mind her mule since animals are not allowed inside. Past the sturdy door she finds a single surly looking pale dwarf dressed in a very official get-up that has drag greys and stark blacks as its only colors as well as a sour expression on his face - yet he offers Gloria a tight smile from behind his desk, and sets his quill down from writing something on parchment and waves for her to take a seat by one of two chairs opposite his near the desk. Gloria can see the interior is as plain as it can be, although the house could me a compact home for a single person - yet she sees a single door to the left leading to parts unknown.

"Good mornin' Ma'am. Welcome ta Rakner Minin' Corporat' Branc'. Wat' ken I do fer ya?" inquires the evidently female dwarf albeit when she speaks she also grins, and in doing so opens a few scars on her clearly wounded face, tinting a few of her bandages redder.

Chimaera
2017-06-26, 06:57 AM
Seeing it is a party with a feast included, Johann is more than quick to grab some food and full tankard of beer. Ready to join a pair of dwarves and sing a long. He was certainly needing a party after spending so many weeks being unable to paint or write due the motion fo the waves, and so his soul enjoy it. The dungeon may wait til he's done partying, he guess.

Once he had a couple tankards, he begin to talk with the dwarves and gnomes around him, "Excuse me, jolly fellows. But what are we celebrating? Just arrived in town and looking for a place to sleep: do you know if the inn offer beds for rent?"

PeacefulOak
2017-06-26, 09:43 AM
Barack notes the excited Cleric heading towards the office and calls after her. "Good idea lass! I'll be a minute or two behind you."

Leading Stubborn Mule into a space between two buildings, Barack turns the beast to provide some extra cover and begins to scribe his circle on the ground. A full minute of careful work later, and the Seal is drawn. Barack rises to his feet and speaks clearly over the circle. "Naberius, the Grinning Hound!" A moment passes before a loud squawk is heard and a black crane crashes into the center of the circle. Out of the shadows stalks a large three headed dog, which begins to feast on the crane. As two heads eat, the third looks to Barack and speaks in a rough voice.

"You call me again, Dwarf. It would seem that you have finally found land. What do you require of me, and what do you offer?" The head returns to eating, and another rises to watch the dwarf, awaiting his response.

"You know what I offer, Naberius. Sensation, experience, a breath of this wide world you have been forbidden. In return I ask for your voice, your tongue, and your resilience. I grow closer to my destiny, to my doom. Do we have an accord?"

"Hrmph, you are driven today. I grant you your request, Binder. The accord is made!" The bird disappears in a burst of feathers as the hound leaps at Barack, fading from view just before it would have collided with the steady dwarf. Barack smiles and nods, feeling the power of the Hound fill him. Gathering Stubborn Mule's lead rope, he heads back into the square.

"Now, where did that young lady get off to?" Barack heads towards the office, looking to meet Gloria there.

[roll0] Awareness

He'll do the ritual regardless of how actually private his spot is.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-06-26, 12:01 PM
Slag

Slag was mildly confused by the party but somehow ended up with a full drink in hand. He wasn't too sure of the words but enthusiasm seemed to count for something and it seemed to repeat. All in all, it was one of the better receptions he'd received walking into a new town. He wondered what all the fuss was about but didn't want to interrupt anyone.

Silver Night
2017-06-26, 10:43 PM
Darla

"Now this is how they should greet us everywhere we go!" Darla grin. Then she circulates, acquiring food and drink (though she only partakes sparingly of the latter) and hopefully come gossip - what's going on, what's the party for, and listening for any tidbits about the dungeon.

Gather Information: [roll0]

Ruess
2017-06-27, 10:11 AM
Tavern
Johann impressed the group who saw him down three of the monster mugs and walk it off as if noting of notice happened: Johann in turn can tell the group has seven gnomes and one dwarf: only two of the gnomes are not completely loaded, and those two are well on their way and are making an effort to follow the chorus of the song, leaving the dwarf to answer. "Borsh there is getting married," the dwarf answer, and waves at the largest minotaur by the bar who is large enough to be sitting and still reach the immensely tall ceiling. "Profit!" resound the drunk gnomes right behind him; the former speaksin an aged voice full of vim and muscle whiel the latter are full of excited happiness of the tipsy folk. "And we cracked a motherload-" "Profit!" "of adamantine in the mine's core. "Profit!" "Once we sell it overses we'll see more gold than a dragon's hoard,-" "Profit!" "and in here there'll be no snobs to try to snatch it into their coffers!" "Profit!" The dwarf looks immensely pleased before burping and continuing."Ask the happy hornhead by the bar if the rooms are free, might get lucky there."

Darla has little luck discovering things as she runs into people either too drunk to care or one too set on getting merrily loaded - it is a stroke of luck and some skill that she avoids getting into a drink-off! However, she does discover this party is a celebration that has to do with the massive minotaur who is the apparent owner of this establishment, and who is large like a giant even when apparently seated behind the bar.

The rest of the group is managing to not get into trouble so far.

Office
Barack arrives to find his sought target seated in a small office speaking with a scarred dwarf whose voice betrays a feminine gender even if the looks are as rough as that of a gruff man. "Good mornin', ser. Be right wit' ye," the she-dwarf greets Barack readily albeit in a hoarse voice still before looking to Gloria and handing her a neatly wrapped scroll. "Here is yer permit, Ma'am, an' one for all yer friends. Com' back if'n ye hav' trooble wit' anythin."

If you wish to attempt to hear the chanting of the Loaded Gnomes, who are chanting ""Profit!" you may roll an awareness check. The DC is not impressively high. If you succeed you hear their chanting and will be able to see Johann there - if you recognize him by looks.

Chimaera
2017-06-27, 12:06 PM
"Well, thats a motherload of good news to celebrate my friends! Congratulations!", he grab something to eat and look to the minotaur, "Where is his bride? Well, I'll go there and congratulate him: it's not everyday that you see a minotaur getting married after all!"

He leave the drunken gnmes and dwarves and slowly make his way through the crowd towards the minotaur.
Once reaching him, he open a big smile and raise yet another tankard of beer, "Congratulations, my friend! I wish you all the best in your new journey!", if allowed he gives the minotaur a handshake or a hug (if he looks more friendly).

"Ah, business. Does you have rooms for rent? Me and my companions are looking for six beds. There are two girls, so maybe they might need privacy. So, if you do... How much for a week, two rooms and six beds?"

Once he finish asking he drinks the tankard.

Diplomacy [roll0] (no need if it's needed)
Fortitude save for 4th tankard [roll1]

PeacefulOak
2017-06-27, 01:33 PM
Barack

Barack looks between Gloria and the dwarf and smiles warmly. "Good morning my good lady! It was for that very form that I am here, and I see that Gloria here has matters well in hand." His voice is deep, rough, and gravelly, but carries a certain natural charm. "Seeing as I'm here, though... do you know anything of the nature of this labyrinth? Any reports from others who have delved it, or any maps of the route to the entrance?" Barack leans casually against the desk as he speaks, casting a subtle wink at the dwarf.

Diplomacy - Taking 10 on Diplomacy per Naberius' Silver Tongue, for a 17.

INoKnowNames
2017-06-27, 02:09 PM
Gloria was appreciative that her momentary distraction did not stop the receptionist from doing her job quite well, and nods in appreciation as she receives the scroll from the dwarf. While concerned about the woman's injuries, Gloria was not -quite- brave enough to inquire upon them, at least at the moment.

She gives Barack a friendly smile and nod, stepping next to him and allowing him a chance to inquire a bit with the clerk, albeit with a touch of curiosity at how delightful he sounds. "Indeed, please, if there is anything that could be of us, we would gratefully appreciate it." she pipes up after him, a little less cavalier than he, and almost ready to wonder if he has a type.

I hope the Dice Roller couldn't cause her to screw this up.
If it could help, Diplomacy: [roll0]. Though I think we're -supposed- to use Gather Information for this sort of thing, in which case: [roll1].

Edit: Oh my god, please let Gather Information be what's -supposed- to be used. :smallsigh:

Silver Night
2017-06-27, 10:16 PM
Darla

Having found little success in gathering information, Darla casts about for her fellow travelers, and will join whomever is closest if they can be located.

Awareness: [roll0]

Az'rael
2017-06-28, 01:01 PM
Khaldor was taken aback at the raucous tavern, and took some time to gather himself in his surroundings. After watching Johann down several large tankards, he decides it wouldn't hurt to partake in some merriment, as it could be his last opportunity for quite some time.

As Johann toasts the minotaur, Khaldor grabs a small glass and raises it, and shouts, "To Borsh and his bride!" After singing a few songs, and eating his fill, he starts talking and asking questions regarding the dungeon and what the people there know.

Gather Info: [roll0] Looking for hints at location, general attitude of people about it, and any history that may be known

Ruess
2017-06-29, 05:55 PM
Tavern

Johann
You leave your merry companions to an impromptu song of profit and platinum and make your way to the minotaur who, true to form, has the form of a humanoid and the massive horns of a bull along with a bestial build but also a deep blue coloration to its immense fur rather than the brown-yellow tan you recall reading. Its deep blue eyes consider your in silence for a moment before you see the minotaur's muzzle twist to a rough smile in response. At your questions the lumbering giant in blue takes a moment to roll his eyes in thought. Your offer for a handshake is considered but the size difference makes the giant before you reconsider lest he break your arm - and you can see enough biceps to know you would lose something in that handshake.

"Seven gold a person. Total is forty-two gold for you six," the minotaur eventually rumbles in a voice deep enough you feel it in your chest.

Total of forty-two divided among six people is seven gold.
You asked for beds for a week, so that makes for one gold a night in here.

Barack & Gloria"I wis' I could help ye, but no'body ever sells thei' map, an' th' stories only tell o' 'orribl' dungeons full of varied monsters." answers the she-dwarf to your question and spreads her hands wide. Her expression is one of consternation as well. "We only ev'r hea' tha' a group lost someon' ta monster this or tha', bu' no one recalls more an' runnin'."
Darla
You note Johann being out and about by the bar where he is making friends with a minotaur. You think you can get to him without too much trouble. Sadly, however, you do not learn anything of use. It seems the average person in here does not have dealings with them, or then you just found poorly informed company out of all the people in here.

Khaldor
You have the worst of luck in this endeavour and barely get out of a drink-off between some positively nasty fellows whose surly idea of fun is insulting each other and drinking two of these monster-sized beers at one. Luckily, you see two others who came here with you out of the corner of your eye: the wizard fellow, and that one lady who did not head to the office.

Chimaera
2017-06-29, 06:02 PM
"One gold per day seems more than fair", he says and take out seven gold coins, "I'll leave mine paid up front and will tell the others to pay their shares as soon as they can. Sounds ok?"

He hand the gold anyway and give the minotaur a large smile.
"Congratulations again, man!"

He look at the crowd looking for his companions and more drinks and food.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-06-29, 07:03 PM
Slag

Slag takes it all in, enjoying the party but saying very little. He watches Khaldor narrowly avoid potential danger and grins. Slag made a mental note to keep an eye on the 'gentlemen'. He was half tempted to challenge them to a drink off himself but suspect that would end with the bar being burnt to the ground tonight in the ensuing kerfuffal. Since he was planing on 'sleeping' here tonight - that might be awkward.

PeacefulOak
2017-06-29, 07:09 PM
Barack

Barack bows in the dwarves way towards the receptionist with a friendly smile.

"Thank you for the information, kind lady. You can rest assured that I will be happy to share any information I obtain with those who support my friends and I in our journey. May the strength of stones and the stars be with you."

Barack turns to Gloria and nods towards the door before stepping towards it. "Lets go find the rest of them before they get too far into their cups to be of any use."

Chimaera
2017-06-29, 11:57 PM
Johann felt great as he walked through the crowd drinking.
Once he find someone else from his party (or at least it was his party, in his drunk head), he approaches and tell about the deal.

"Seven gold piece per head for one week of warm beds here. Pay him before going up and all is good", he says trying to recognize the girl named Gloria, "Exploration starts tomorrow".

And so he leave her and make the long drunk walk towards the room he bought, hitting the pillow hard, as his pet raven, Enigma begin to scold him for such behavior.

"You shouldnt be drinking that much, master", it speaks to him but the only answer is a loud snore.

INoKnowNames
2017-06-30, 12:37 AM
"One moment more, please." Gloria quietly answers him, her hand gently on his shoulder before he moves too far. "Please, Ma'am," she addresses the female dwarf. "Can you remember anything, even the most minute detail about the rumors, if only about the monsters? Do they ever wander outside of their territory? Hopefully they might not be responsible for any injuries anyone in town have suffered... maybe even yours?" Gloria asks politely, a hand on her own first-aid kit as her eyes stray on the she-dwarf's reddened bandages.

One last try on her part, even for what might be useless information. Anything could be a clue if you're well read enough. [roll0]

Color Added. Also, gosh darn this dice-roller; I could have used that in the first place! But yes, any hint about what we might encounter first, even if just a rumor, might be useful to the PC with several points invested into knowledge skills... and I decided to be a little less subtle about her potential willingness to patch up this nameless npc we might never see again. :smalltongue:

Az'rael
2017-06-30, 12:20 PM
As Johann explains the room situation to Khaldor, he stops him and says, "I have a problem then, as I spent nearly all my coin for my voyage here. I have but one night's stay covered in my purse. I will have to figure something out in the morn." He pays the keep, and having had some slightly disturbing encounters he feels as if it just isn't his day. He does however feel encouraged with the comrades he will soon be venturing forth with into the dungeon to decide his fate.

Chimaera
2017-06-30, 01:22 PM
Looking to Khaldor, Johann smiles and hand him 6 gold coins.

"Here, buddy. You pay me when we strike some treasure chest".

Silver Night
2017-07-01, 01:18 AM
Darla

Darla heads for Johann and Khaldor (or just Khaldor if Johann has already gone to his room.)

Ruess
2017-07-01, 10:54 PM
Tavern
Your group and all its members have gathered by the bar, thus allowing everyone to see that Johann is most assuredly a little drunk as he is swaying on his feet and also has that amused air about him that all risingly drunk persons have once the booze hits that magical spot. You know two of your numbers are still in that office doing whatever it is they are doing.

Office
Realization strikes the clerc and she snaps her finger, right before she facepalms. You can ear the force behind the slap the moment her palm connects to her face. "Oy me own brain be havin' a bou' o' stupid. We keep a watch righ' by the gate fer this sortsa reasons!"

She looks to the two of you sharply and waves you over. "See, the company dug deep enough to crack to the thing you are looking for. We cracked through some very fancy prack-hat trick, and built proper defenses there. Ask the folks there, might hire a guide even, buy whatever tools ye need or ask questions on what goes on in those black places." She offers you a smile, her confidence restored even if her countenance is literally bloody. "If'n ye need a map ta th' Gate, I'll draw ye one meself free o' charge."

Silver Night
2017-07-02, 01:53 AM
Darla

Darla addresses the others, "Didn't have much luck getting info, how about you all? I can see Johann found some drinks. What's the next move?"

Az'rael
2017-07-02, 08:56 AM
"Unfortunately I didn't have any more luck than you, as a matter of fact, those burly fellows over there seemed to take my questions as some sort of drinking challenge. Strange way to celebrate a wedding. I think I may take some time to walk around town a bit and see if we run into the rest of our colleagues." Khaldor replies to Darla.

Silver Night
2017-07-04, 01:50 PM
Darla

"I'll come with, see if anyone has heard what we'll be up against."

Darla heads out to see what there is to see in town with Khaldor once he's ready.

PeacefulOak
2017-07-04, 02:00 PM
Barack

Barack chuckles at the other dwarf's moment of realization. "Aye, that is just the thing we're needing! I'm every so grateful for the time and kindness."

He waits patiently for the drawing.

Chimaera
2017-07-04, 04:23 PM
"I'iiiiimmm back! Where did you all went? There is a party!", he shout at the sight of his companions, "Let's go adventuring! Time to be renown as the gretest heroes in the world!", he says as Enigma pecks his hand to avoid him to reaching yet another tankard. The mage does his best to stand straight and smile lile a lunatic.

INoKnowNames
2017-07-04, 10:43 PM
"We hope to be well equipped as we are, once we reunite with our companions. Perhaps once we return, we can inquire then before we take our turn with destiny." Gloria bows to the dwarf in gratitude. "Thank you very much for the guidance. And, before we go, would you like those injuries examined?" she asks, trailing somewhat timidly.

Ruess
2017-07-04, 11:30 PM
Exiting Tavern
Darla and her chosen aide, Khaldor, head out. A short bit of looking around later she learns that there is a simple layout for the settlement.There is the docks, which is built like several steps for ships to dock into in all stages of the day and which is built into a semi-circle formation. Past that are large water wells around which are entire shantytown neighborhoods; they are set in steady intervals into the roads that look like they lead up craggy mountains into the sky-scraping fortress-towers that you still see standing like murderous guards around the island. The largest shantytown is by the docks and that is where the merchants of all kinds are currently arguing over wares to get best deals. It also means there is a massive crowd around the large well, and the businesses are packed - but the more distant locations of the towns are left to be.

Office
The she-dwarf looks mildly annoyed by Gloria's answer but Barack's seems to mollify her. "I'vn't any ide' wha' ye mean, lady, bu ye do ye an see where ye get. I'll tak' tha' heal, me face bein' bloody an all,"she offers with a grimacing smile and pens a few quick lines to approximate the general idea of the settlement you are in, the island and then some more details. It is a quick scribble but at least it has the settlement, and a few footnotes with each assigned scrawling its respective legend so you know what is where. You are handed said paper soon, within fifteen seconds actually, and can say it is an ugly mess of ink. It is also your first quick map of the area...

Silver Night
2017-07-05, 12:11 AM
Darla

"What do you think, Khaldor? I figure unless we want to poke around the docks, not much in that direction to help us. If we spot any miners we could ask them about rumors of something connected to the mine - I'm assumin' that's why the mining company is the way you get in."

Az'rael
2017-07-05, 08:50 PM
"I was just gonna meander about town and explore a bit, but it can't hurt to interrogate some miners if we find them." Khaldor replies with a laugh. "We can start through the docks, and head to the bazaars afterward."

PeacefulOak
2017-07-05, 10:14 PM
Barack

The deep-voiced dwarf takes the paper and carefully rolls it, tucking it into his belt pouch.

"Thank you, lass. I'll be sure to be bringing you something I find down below." He winks at her once more, and moves towards the door.

As he passes Gloria, he murmurs: "I'll wait for you outside, lass. I trust you know your way around the healing magics." He pushes through the door and reclaims both the mules, waiting patiently a short ways from the front door of the building. As he waits, he scans the crowds for any sign of their other companions.

Ruess
2017-07-06, 07:36 PM
Out And About

A human and whisper gnome make for a good combination although the results of their discoveries come entirely from their hard work in both listening and speaking with some locals unintrusively. Darla learns the hard way that the people just don't respond to her usual tricks to make peolple more inclined to chatting with her.

What they learn proves to be of great use, however.

The mine itself is accessible very easily in this very village: an fortified office beside the second well has a secured access lift. It leads down into the bowels of earth where you will find the dungeon's entrance.

The entrance itself is a forward base where you can find guides, maps, a healer, a few ready shrines, and some brave businesses. They are the first bastion of defense against the denizens of the dungeon who make occasional breaks to leave.

Interestingly, the company literally fought tooth and nail against a great many annoyances to break the gate that originally was a terrible death trap in and of itself, and which lead many adventuring groups to their doom before Rakner Mining Corporation literally made like dwarves and tunneled through way through the problem - purely out of spite and bullheadedness.

There was an invasion by an insane magician some time ago. The attack lead to a siege when the magician could not win within seconds, and that siege ended not long ago to a crushing defensive victory that is being celebrated all across the island in many festive events such as weddings and similar events where life is celebrated in all its riotous forms.

Barack sees none of his companions. But he does see some rough individuals and a few ghastly types haggling over the wares. A few elves too, each of whom is busy debating about golden melons, and with a passion too.

Gloria sets to her healing task, expends her healing, gains a grateful smile along with helpful instructions for the entrance (Second Well, very near, enter via the Bunker, present papers, take the lift down and follow the guides.) And that is her business concluded, along with whatever else, after which she is helpfully escorted out.

Silver Night
2017-07-07, 10:14 PM
Darla

If her companion doesn't have any objections, Darla will head back for the central area (with the well, I think?) near the Tavern to hopefully meet up with the others.

INoKnowNames
2017-07-08, 12:43 AM
Returning to Barack, Gloria walks with him to the entrance of the Inn, looking for their new friends to share the information that the two of them managed to snag, intending to talk tactics. "We could make our way there immediately, or see if anyone might need a bit more preperation and question the workers, possibly survey the entrance..." she thinks outloud.

Az'rael
2017-07-08, 08:40 PM
Khaldor returns to the tavern with Darla looking for the rest of their companions. Feeling encouraged having had more luck about the town than he had at the tavern, he looks to take advantage of the revelry.

Ruess
2017-07-11, 03:38 PM
Into The Darkness

The next while passes in a blur.

You recall entering what appeared and then proved to be a tiny fortress of metal, filled with gaunt-faced men who had little words to say, and voices as cold as the open sea.

You recall descending into a pitch black darkness inside a reinforced cage bolted onto a great slab of stone that ran down into the pit awaiting underneath it - a mechanical invention of dizzying speed and nauseatingly sudden movements.

You recall a walk past three barricadess each with their own small garrison and a shrine, until you heard the last one wish you last as you trod into darkness

The walk deeper and deeper still was a long walk as long as it was nerve wracking: the tunnels drip sea water from above and every few whiles you swear you hear distant echoing sounds. It lingers, and each sound you made feels far too loud in your ears. The lack of light makes it worse still and there are not even scant torch remain or ash thereof to remember light by, save for what you brought on your own.

Finally and after far too long a march you arrive into a wide, open area. Your point of arrival is the mouth of a wide tunnel that is wide enough for a lot of people to march through standing abreast. Your light's radius does not seem to reach past its natural shedding range, yet in that radius still you spy naught but perfectly even stone floor. There is a chill in here, mild but prevalent, and it is added to by the mild moisture in the air that is doing a very good effort to seep into you along with your gear. You hear nothing short of your own breaths, which echo hollowly around you but so empty that you feel small as you for a moment imagine yourself in the vastness of this massive chamber.

You have a choice, a lingering doubt, a goal, and a dungeon to plunder. All you need to do is look what hides in the dark...

PeacefulOak
2017-07-11, 04:23 PM
Barack

Firmly gripping Stubborn Mule's lead rope, Barack stomps a few steps forward, looking about the illuminated space. He shades his eyes, letting his darkvision look beyond the edge of the light, looking to see if there is any indication of walls or the like.

"Well, here we are. Looks like we're in just a big old room for now. Onwards and inwards?"

Chimaera
2017-07-11, 04:32 PM
Johann look around and smile nervous.
"So we are here guys. Let's start exploration?"

He then proceed to cast Light spell on his quarterstaff head and rise it high, trying to iluminate better.

Silver Night
2017-07-11, 06:13 PM
Darla

"Aye. Let's have a look." She begins to move forward.

Search: [roll0] for traps. As is traditional.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-07-11, 08:51 PM
Slag

Slag mumbles a quick blessing and gently touches everyone. "You shall be protected from my flames.. and likely nothing else down here." he announces. "Who shall take the lead into the unknown?" Slag stands well back as if to answer his own question.

Endure exposure on everyone, even the mule.

Az'rael
2017-07-12, 07:52 AM
Khaldor turns to Slag and replies, "I grew up in a wonderful place, not dissimilar to this. I'm quite comfortable in dangerous underground hellholes. I can take the lead for now unless someone else would rather."

Regardless of if Khaldor is leading or not, he is diligent in looking about for any dangers the group may encounter.

Ruess
2017-07-13, 07:42 AM
It takes you the better half of an hour, about forty minutes in fact, but you conclude that you have reached a square chamber that is approximately two hundred on each side, and which contains absolutely nothing at all save for one single portcullis at its North-East corner standing opposite the large tunnel hole you arrived from along with two pillars of rubble at North-West as well as South-East corners. You further discover that while the rock around you was unworked stone insofar as the tunnel you came from and its surroundings were concerned the areas walling North and East directions are literally wall: it is worked stone with distinct if faded markings that speak of aged stone worked long and hard. The ceiling is too high for you to see where it goes, and the echo in this square chamber is incredible so you estimate it goes very high indeed.

Silver Night
2017-07-14, 01:37 AM
Darla

Darla examines the portcullis.

Search? [roll0]

Ruess
2017-07-14, 03:33 AM
The portcullis is a chunk of rest-red metal adorned by shards of jagged protrusions on each piece of its form. It looks like it is firmly shut at the moment. Great spikes dig into the rock underneath it where grooves have formed into it. Darla estimates by the spiderweb of cracks in the ground that the spikes have slammed into the rock enough times to start literally digging in. A mechanism of some spindly gears is set nearby at a man's height. A little bit of time spent looking the mechanism over Darla finds a very clear mechanism for opening the portcullis - and immediate telltale signs of extensive damage done to the mechanism. Darla can tell this was once a lever you pulled and either raised the portcullis or lowered it: someone took exception to it, tore off said lever and ripped out some gears but too many of them were sunken too deep. All she needs is her tools to set the mechanism working.

Someone went beyond all rational measure to try to keep this thing shut for good.
All you need is a set of Thieves Tools to open it, or close it. Once you "repair it" you only need to prod the gears to shut the portcullis or close it shut.

Someone really wanted to keep whatever lies on the other side from coming out.

J-H
2017-07-14, 03:27 PM
Nominh

The warforged speaks in a flat tone. "This appears to be the only way in." He peers through the grating to see if anything is visible on the other side.

Chimaera
2017-07-14, 07:26 PM
"Can someone operate whatever left of this mechanism? It would be pitiful if our whole sailing trip ended with a broken lever", Johann says looking at the grate.

Silver Night
2017-07-14, 09:07 PM
Darla

"Back home I, uh, help out with door locks and such sometimes. I expect I could get it open. Though if any of you are better at seeing in the dark than I am, you might want to make sure there's nothing out there."

Do I need to search the mechanism for traps or was that covered by the first set of checks?

Ruess
2017-07-15, 12:11 AM
Past the blockade of blood, iron and rust...you see little except further darkness wherein lies more of this prepared flat rock floor, but in that yawning abyss the warforged hears distant sounds: voices in the far away locations, echoes of metal striking metal, a shorts burst of what could be laughter - and one long sound that can only be a wail of desperation, for such is its universal nature that it has no rival or competitor.

Darla's examination proves an adept question: there is no trap in the mechanism, and she states this with all of her expertise. She can also tell that it is all but impossible to build a trap into the remaining mechanism short of re-building the whole thing from scratch but by her count that will take whole months. That is all but a total guarantee you and your entire group can do as you please with the portcullis short of trying to steal the thing. As a quick peek, Darla examines a detail and thereby consequentially confirms that the mechanism is well oiled. There will be no sudden trickery from rusted gears screeching to summon monsters to greet you.

Silver Night
2017-07-15, 01:15 AM
Darla

If no one objects, Darla will proceed to open the portcullis.

INoKnowNames
2017-07-15, 01:38 PM
Gloria tightly grips the reign of her own mule as she steps forward a bit, both anxious and curious to see what might be unearthed as Darla prepares to open the path forward.

Az'rael
2017-07-15, 07:48 PM
Khaldor's heartrate starts to rise in anticipation of the symbolic beginning of the journey into this dungeon. He takes out his shortbow and prepares himself for whatever may come ahead.

PeacefulOak
2017-07-16, 08:28 AM
Barack

Stubborn Mule perks up and trots over to Gloria, visiting with its erstwhile companion.

"Ahh, would you mind leading mine along with yours, Gloria? The daft bugger seems more agreeable around other beasts."

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-07-16, 10:18 AM
Slag

Slag peers down the passage. "lead the way." he says simply to the other warforged.

Chimaera
2017-07-16, 12:01 PM
"Is just me or did Barack just called Gloria a beast?", Johann says joking as he peek in the passage, eager to start their adventure.

J-H
2017-07-16, 03:13 PM
Nominh

Longsword out and shield raised and ready, Nominh cautiously leads the way through the portcullis.

INoKnowNames
2017-07-16, 04:57 PM
"Merely the herder of them. Stay close, you animal." Gloria replies in amusement to Johann's jest as she relieves Barack of his burden to help lead the team.

Ruess
2017-07-17, 08:50 AM
The portcullis yields you path: beyond it you find a vast hall into which your lights disappear, and in which you find echoes of sounds stilled and running amid the vast gulfs of space. Your lights and visions scrape where they can but to your quick surprise you discover a yawning abyss of empty space surrounding the first stone wall - sounds echo here quiet but unceasing, and a curious test with distances reveals to you that you can walk more than a hundred feet directly ahead, and still you do not find an end to what lies ahead.

You are not alone here, however: from the portcullis entrance you see two pinpoints of light. With a very crude approximation of a map detailing this singular echo ehcmber and a compass you find in your possessions you estimate that to North-NorthWest and South-SouthEast lie one large point of light each and around them you see murky little dots. You can tell it is a great distance to each, and thus it would be a long walk, but such an encounter promises that you will meet more than one being around said fire. You cannot hear things of interest as there are too many echoing noises, and of the things you have spoken you already head the faintest reflections somewhere in the ceiling where something like a ghost of your own voice sneaks as if by a will of its own.

You found a portcullis mechanism on this side mirroring the other. This one was equally terribly damaged but it also has a great deal of crimson hand prints in sizes great and small, and what you suspect to be crude makeshift tools whose remnants litter the ground all around it.

INoKnowNames
2017-07-17, 12:01 PM
The young aasimar stares into the wide darkness with something beyond both fascination and curiosity. A twinge of anxiety shoots through her nerves as the group advances. Said anxiety heightens dramatically as she accidentally steps on an object that snares her attention. Checking the utensil, and the numerous smears on the portal they just went through cause her a sharp gasp, stopped from becoming a scream only at the last moment, her pearly white teeth closing together. "So, um..." she peeps in a heightened pitch, one hand shaking on the mule's reigns, the other seeking something else to hold onto and inadvertently clutching a human's palm in the process. "I suppose we should be on the look out for whatever might have done -that-, as much as on the path forward." Gloria comments in a near whisper, barely keeping herself from stammering in fear, visibly shivering.

Chimaera
2017-07-17, 12:54 PM
Johann was distracted looking at the vast emptiness of the chamber when he feels Gloria's hand grab his own. He look at the shivering healer and hold her hand, trying to reasure her confidence.

With a cantrip, he whisper to her ears alone.

"Dont worry: this animal will stay close, ok?"

Message last 10 minutes.

"We should check those camps I guess...", he point to the distant points of light, "How about the southern one?", he suggests.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-07-17, 12:56 PM
Slag

"That is as good an idea as any." Slag offers. "Let's go."

J-H
2017-07-17, 03:52 PM
Nominh

"It appears others have attempted to escape, and failed. Darla, can you lock and trap the mechanism so that it cannot be easily closed behind us?"

PeacefulOak
2017-07-17, 05:03 PM
Barack

The dwarf moves along with the group carefully, minding his step and keeping a careful eye on the floor.

"Either camp works for me. Are we looking to open with diplomacy if they're capable,
or do we go in swinging?"

Chimaera
2017-07-17, 05:26 PM
"It will depends of them trying to kill us or not", Johann says, still holding hands with Gloria, "Be ready for battle, as who know what they are up to".

Az'rael
2017-07-17, 07:08 PM
"Should we send a few sneaky people ahead to get an idea of what is before us and gather information, or should we stick together? By the looks of her, Darla can avoid being seen almost as well as I."

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-07-17, 07:11 PM
Slag

"I suspect what ever is down here is better suited to the dark then us. Since there are seven of us, we should probably stick together"

Silver Night
2017-07-17, 08:43 PM
Darla

Darla nods at Nominh's suggestion about the door, "Good idea. I can try and keep it open, anyway. And I can sneak well enough, aye, but there might be things down here that see better in the dark'n I do - and not much to hide a light behind in here. Still, we might as well head for the southern bunch. They're likely to see us coming, though."

To keep the door locked open (Disable Device?): [roll0]

INoKnowNames
2017-07-17, 10:16 PM
"Whichever way we go, we should stay together. Anyone alone could be in grave danger... Assuming we aren't already." whimpers a voice from the back, the pressure on Johann's hand consistent as Gloria looks back and forth all around her for any sign of movement in the darkness.

Ruess
2017-07-18, 07:09 AM
Thunder.
The ground under your feet shudders violently, lasting nary a second but leaving your feet shaken all across. Tinnitus, that alien sensation of your ears filling with cotton as brain becomes a sharp spike of pain and conscious mind focuses on the single sharp note digging deep into your conscious...

The portcullis has crashed down: its spikes now dig deep into the formed holes on the ground. Darla stands by the mechanism and her tools are lodged in the mechanism - but she most certainly has not locked the device to keep the entrance open.

Around you the ear-wracking crack of thunderous voice grows louder, and louder, and then louder still as it echoes around you from walls to ceilings, and fills the entire cavern around you with a singular noise that drowns all others underneath the sheer violence of its existence. Somewhere underneath its roar you hear a sea of voices rise. You feel it, and hear it - the tinnitus is too dim to vanish under the riot of noise.

To North-North-North ear you spy the fire shatter. It blossoms to a roaring pyre. Around it scamper forms, too many too soon to count, all of them moving through or around it as they vanish from around it. What noise you hear under the dim of booming now ringing in your ears feels like a chorus of screams, and what you do hear adds a second choir of shrill voices right under the first.

South-SouthEast tells another story: in one single flurry of rushed motion the figures and blots vanish from around the fire.

You have declared your entrance.

J-H
2017-07-18, 07:44 AM
Nominh

"I do not recall being told that this place had someone or something in control of it. It appears we are stuck here. Our best chance will be to move forward aggressively, so that anyone trying to catch us will not be able to track our position accurately."

The warforged raises his shield and moves forward, keeping the rest of his thoughts on the ominous nature of the gate-closing and the other actions to himself.

INoKnowNames
2017-07-18, 10:30 AM
"That depends on whether or not the egress serves to be impossible to return through or not. It may just be highly responsive to feedback." Gloria gasps between deep breaths, after several moments spent regaining her composure. After an instant of realization, she steadies herself and relaxes her arms, having violently jumped at the loud noise and clung to the nearest object in fear, focused on again preventing a scream from escaping her lips.

"My apologies, Johann. I didn't mean to... This is the first time I've been so far away from home for so long, and I'm more than a little out of my usual element."

With a bit of a bitter glance at the mules, neither of seem anything more than bored or hungry, Gloria focuses on Darla. "Do you think you might be able to get it open again? Or would that take too much time? Someone had to have been able to do so; hopefully it does not just open from the outside..."

PeacefulOak
2017-07-18, 12:54 PM
Barack

The violet-eyed dwarf jumps at the sudden heavy impact, spinning around to see the source.

"Well, looks like it's forward for now, an no purpose in sneaking!" he chuckles, a deep sound like rough gravel.

Chimaera
2017-07-18, 12:58 PM
Johann caress Gloria' hand and keep their conversation private.

"Dont worry. For all of us this may be the first real adventure and hopefully not the last. Just stay close and we'll protect each other".

"Hmm. Guys, maybe we should move away from the entrance: that crashing boom probably was heard in all the cavern and if those things are hostile, they might send hunting parties our way. We wont be able to hide from them with our torches, so maybe we should make a run toward one of them so to avoid being flanked?".

Silver Night
2017-07-18, 03:07 PM
Darla

Darla winces as the gate crashes down, "Um. This one is a little different than the stuff I worked on back home. Sorry. Let's see if I can get it open again quickly. If not we'd best get away from here." If it helps she will request someone with a nice high strength helps by pushing it up as needed.

I'll go with disable device again, I think?

She will take 10 if possible, if not:Disable Device [roll0] to figure out how she can open it again, and to go ahead and reopen it if possible. If it takes more than about 2-3 rounds she would be all on board with the running away from the gate plan.

Ruess
2017-07-18, 05:52 PM
It takes perhaps ten seconds in total to fiddle with the level mechanism - and most of that is just Darla collecting the errant bits of her tools that have gotten mingled in the mechanism. Smooth as you please and with nary a sound the mechanism rolls lever-operated gateway open again. The cruel teeth loom up in the upper arc of the entrance yet again, but nonetheless the gate is no longer shut.

In the distance, far away, you hear voices. Too many, too distant, too indistinct - but raised and definitely upset about something.

Silver Night
2017-07-18, 06:37 PM
Darla

"Alright, let's skedaddle!"

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-07-18, 07:12 PM
Slag

"Like a cat..." Slag comments to Darla. 'He' winks.

Ruess
2017-07-19, 05:47 AM
The noise lingers around you with each step you take away from the entrance and the walls. Distant shouts, clamor of metal, slammed noises, running footsteps of leather and metal both - all that and more is your only company as your group plunges into the darkness, away from the immovable wall of stone, and into the endless black awaiting you. Somewhere away from you, it size now shrunk after it was disturbed, the pinpoint of a fire you seek lies. The forms that were around it are gone, and it is left vanishingly small compared to the depth of the shadows around it.

Your steps echo coldly on the flattened stone floor underneath you, one after another. There is no measure for when you have traversed ten or a hundred feet, save for the stains that are many or the multitude pf scratches upon the very ground. You go unchallenged but also unhailed as well, yet you also go without losing your sense of direction and neither do you stray from your path onto other ones.

After a time unmeasurable, when the sounds have finally faded to a lesser force and you find yourself much closer to the fire where you can see it is a large campfire, there comes a voice. It hails you from the shadows, in a language not Common. Though you do not understand the words there is no mistaking a boisterous male voice that makes a loud note by its words. The tone is loud, demanding even.

Seven people and not one of you has this basic language.

J-H
2017-07-19, 07:14 AM
Nominh

Nominh attempts to locate the source of the voice, placing himself between the others and the speaker.

Silver Night
2017-07-19, 09:14 PM
Darla

Darla tries variations of 'Can you speak this?' in Giant, Goblin, and finally Common. And happily stays off the front line, though keeping a watchful eye on the darkness.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-07-19, 10:13 PM
Slag

"Impressive" Slag says to Darla. "Sadly I'm not nearly as capable. Well, if we can't talk to this guy and find out what he knows we might as well push on to the north" Slag says more as a question.

Az'rael
2017-07-20, 09:48 AM
Khaldor thinks to himself he didn't even consider trying to speak with this thing, and that is a bit of a shame. Following Darla's lead, he tries his own languages running through Undercommon, Gnome, Dwarven, Draconic, saying "Can you speak with us?"

INoKnowNames
2017-07-20, 10:47 AM
Gloria, in seeing the example of the others, also steps forward and inquires as well "Can you understand any of us?", first in Celestial, then in Sylvian, and then in Draconic.

Ruess
2017-07-20, 11:10 AM
You hear a response eventually from the voice. It is accompanied by several more quiet ones, right beneath the creak of armor and weaponry straps. In a broken language that is an ugly mixture of mangled words filling an accent, you hear an answer.

It comes louder than a rant, and indisputably angry sounding. It repeats itself a few times, but it draws nearer and clearer within a few minutes of you hearing it. By listening, you are able to pinpoint at least a few of the unknowns: there are four of them at least, and they sound unhinged to put it nicely.

The accent is terrible: it's less a language and more a few crude words of Goblin language beside which there comes a flood of angry gibberish that you vaguely recognize as a mixed gobbly-gugu-gikgik-googa-guu...which in other words means this someone has heard the barest basics of a few words in Goblin but knows one or more cousin language that they are trying to copy from.

What little you do understand is a top of negatives heaped together, a pronoun referring to you, whoever you are, and again more denials, then negative form of going to somewhere undefined. The mess is repeated in a rising tone, and larger emphasis on the emotion.

You are certain this is someone who is not happy to have you here.

Silver Night
2017-07-20, 11:15 PM
Darla

Darla relays what she understands from that to the others

PeacefulOak
2017-07-21, 12:17 AM
Barack

The dwarf scoffs. "Bah! Goblins aren't worth the air they breathe. Let's kill them and be done with it! I came here to grow in strength and to learn the limits of my power. What better way to achieve that than in ridding the world of a few green-skinned wastes of space!" He raises his voice, addressing the approaching group. "OY! You ugly sacks of useless! Why don't you just approach and let us get this over with already?!?"

Using my Command ability on one of the approaching targets, with the "approach" command. 30' range, 5 round cooldown.

Ruess
2017-07-22, 04:52 PM
It is with a scream of incoherent rage that three figures come at you from the darkness. Each one is an orc, green-skinned and boasting tusks above fangs in a brutal countenance that is set upon a viciously bulging body built with sinew and muscle. And yet, each one is also withered. In the moment they close in upon you there is a gap where you spy their forms underneath torn rags, and see pallid flesh underneath its green tint. Muscles have withered a touch, and you swear in that moment you see far too many bones and veins. Then they are upon you, each with a crude smattering of wood serving as a shield and a cruel piece of metal upon a haft of wood serving as an axe.

One charges right in front of Nominh's face and makes to bash the machine's head off, while two flank the warforged - but instead of piling up the machine they snarl and roar at Barack who called them out, and whom they swing their axes at.

The axe aimed at him misses Nominh widely, so much so that the warforged could have stood still and still evaded the attack entirely.
Barack deflects one of the incoming attacks upon his shield - but the other one comes through by sheer relentless violence of it.

Nominh is had an orc right in front of him, on his left and on his right.
Barack has Nominh in front of him, and two orcs currenlty threatening him.

The rest of the party is not being threatened - yet.

Barack is injured! 5 Lethal Damage!

Combat Initiative Order
Hostiles: 21

The rest of you
Darla 17
Khaldor and Gloria 16
Nominh 13
Slag and Johann 9
Barack 5

The hostiles have now acted. Players, you are up.
Starting with Darla!

Silver Night
2017-07-22, 09:14 PM
Darla

Darla attacks the nearest Orc!

Okay, being one of the scout-y characters I'm assuming she would have been close to all of this happening, so if possible she will attack from a flanking position (using her 5 foot step if needed).

Short Sword 1: [roll0] (+2 if she is able to Flank)
Damage: [roll1] + Sneak Attack (if applicable [roll2]

Short Sword 2: [roll3] (+2 if she is able to Flank)
Damage: [roll4] + Sneak Attack (if applicable [roll5]

If she isn't close enough to get into the action with a 5 foot step, then she will use a move and we can just make attack #1 her only attack this round (with +2 to the attack since she won't be using an off-hand weapon).

Hopefully that all makes sense!

Ruess
2017-07-22, 09:23 PM
Darla

Darla attacks the nearest Orc!

Darla makes a brave effort but does not even touch the orc's form let alone require it to make an effort to dodge her admittedly clumsy attack.

Darla misses badly.

Combat Initiative Order
Next up:
Khaldor and Gloria 16
Nominh 13
Slag and Johann 9
Barack 5

INoKnowNames
2017-07-23, 12:27 PM
Almost too afraid to speak properly, Gloria raises her Holy Symbol above her, and speaks a nearly inaudible prayer on behalf of her team.

If possible, she'll try to keep the Mules from getting any closer, and possibly back up nearer to Slag. Even still, nothing stopping her from going ahead and casting the Bless spell, right? The area should be big enough.

Az'rael
2017-07-23, 05:00 PM
Khaldor will attempt to get to the orc on Nominh's left and put the orc in between Nominh and himself (flank). I'll then draw and attack with my quickrazor.

Attack: [roll0] +2 if flanking
Damage: [roll1]
Iajutsu focus: [roll2]

J-H
2017-07-23, 05:16 PM
Nominh

The warforged turns, lashing out with his sword at the enemy flanked by Khaldor.

Crusader's Strike
AB: +1 Bless, +2 Flanking

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
On-hit, heal Barack [roll2] (1d6+IL+2 stance)
New granted maneuver [roll3]

Ruess
2017-07-23, 05:44 PM
Khaldor makes a brave attempt at ending the orch between himself and Nominh but to little effect, and not even the soft glow of the magical blessing is able to guide his strike.

Gloria's spell is a success and brings a blessed light upon herself as well as her allies, but also a frenzied roar filled with hate from all three orcs before you.

Nominh, in turn, strikes hard and true. His blade comes away painted in black. The orc falls to the ground with a single gasping sound before lying still on the now bloodied stone ground.

Combat Initiative Order

The rest of you
Darla 17
Khaldor and Gloria 16
Nominh 13
Slag and Johann 9
Barack 5

Next up
Slag and Johann, then Barack!

Orc 1 is right in front of Nominh. Orc 2 is on Nominh's left. Orc 3 is on Nominh's left.
Orc 2 is flanked by Khaldor and Nominh.
Orc 3 is flanked by Nominh and Darla

Orc 2 perishes.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-07-24, 12:49 AM
Slag

"Back off!" Slag commands. A roar of fire erupts from his mouth and encompasses the attackers.

Slag breaths fire in a 15 cone aiming to hit the remaining two enemies

Fire Damage [roll0] DC 14 Ref save for half

(party members are immune)

Chimaera
2017-07-24, 12:52 AM
Johann watach as the battle start and move away from the battle, his hand not holding GLoria's anymore as he begin to slowly chant an enchantment to put the orcs into a deep slumber.

Move 20ft away, start casting Sleep

Ruess
2017-07-24, 02:36 AM
Slag's breath sputters badly, possibly due to a misclculation in breath ratios.. The result is a fire too minor to do more than singe a few hairs, and by how the two intended targets shrug off the strands of flame it is likely the fire breath had little to no effect at all.

Johann in the mean time steps back and begins reciting the words for a sleep spell, one syllable at a time.

Combat Initiative Order

The rest of you
Darla 17
Khaldor and Gloria 16
Nominh 13
Slag and Johann 9
Barack 5

Next up
Barack!

Orc 1 is right in front of Nominh. Orc 2 is on Nominh's left. Orc 3 is on Nominh's left.

Orc 2 has fallen.

PeacefulOak
2017-07-24, 10:12 AM
Barack

"I've got you, lad!"

Barack steps to stand between the orcs and Johann, close enough to swing his morning star into the face of the one who struck him!

[roll0] to hit for [roll1]

Ruess
2017-07-24, 11:04 AM
Barack's blow strikes the snarling orc right in the jaw and sends its head slamming back. Its spittle and a light tinted crimson fluid flies out followed by some of its broken teeth, yet all it does is roar louder still before swinging its axe at Barack. It misses widely but looks too far into anger to care.

The other one still alive and presently threatening Nimanh makes to cleave the living machine in two, releasing a resounding yell as it does. Its axe finds a lucky opening the crusader is not ready for, and cuts a deep injury in its foe's torso - or that would be the case if Nominh were not possessed of a great amount of adamantium in his build. The axe sparks as its strikes the metal, but deals not even a cosmetic scratch.

Combat Initiative Order

The rest of you
Darla 17
Khaldor and Gloria 16
Nominh 13
Slag and Johann 9
Barack

Next up
Darla!
Then Khaldor and Gloria

Orc 2 has fallen, and is bleeding all over the ground.
Orc 3 is grievously injured

Silver Night
2017-07-24, 08:41 PM
Darla

Darla attempts to finish off the orc she is flanking! If it goes down she will go after the other one!

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] + Sneak Attack [roll2]

Attack: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4] + Sneak Attack [roll5]

If the first attack kills it, she will take a 5 foot step to attack the other one with her other swing(if that makes sense given the geometry). If it takes both hits to kill it, she will take a 5 foot step so she can attack the other one next round. If neither swing kills it, well. Man. She should roll better.

Ruess
2017-07-24, 08:44 PM
The orc Darla aims at falls, its hands clutching its suddenly crimson-stained torso before it falls groaning with a stilled voice. Darla presses on but her second swing of sword misses her intended target badly, and she almost overextends into the orc's ready fist! Yet, she holds steady and see that victory looms near.

Combat Initiative Order

The rest of you
Darla 17
Khaldor and Gloria 16
Nominh 13
Slag and Johann 9
Barack

Next up:
Khaldor and Gloria

Orc 1 is right in front of Nominh. Orc 2 is on Nominh's left. [/B]Orc 3 is on Nominh's left.

Az'rael
2017-07-25, 05:35 PM
Khaldor steps around to orc 1 in front of Nominh, and again flicks the quickrazor at the most vulnerable part of the orc.

Attack: [roll0] (+2 if flanking)
Iajutsu Focus: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Ruess
2017-07-25, 06:41 PM
Khaldor makes a good attempt but the weapon does little effect and catches on the rags of the orc. The attack loses its power, and thus is ruined. The orc does not notice it, too deep in its frothing rage and too set upon hammering the dwarf its eyes are riveted on.

Combat Initiative Order

The rest of you
Darla 17
Khaldor and Gloria 16
Nominh 13
Slag and Johann 9
Barack

Next up
Gloria

Then
Nominh

Orc 1 is right in front of Nominh. Orc 2 is on Nominh's left. [/B]Orc 3 is on Nominh's left.

INoKnowNames
2017-07-26, 05:15 PM
Arms shivering in place, Gloria struggles to ensure a proper hold on the Mules at a somewhat safe distance, while switching her holy symbol for her emergency crossbow. The weapon shakes in mid air as she points it in the general direction of the orcs, praying in her head that she won't have to do what may very well be expected of her in this environment.

As noted, should the Orcs move past the first set of front liners towards the group's back end, Gloria will fire a shot from her crossbow at one of them. ... I assume I'd make the actual attack and damage roll at that time, mind.

J-H
2017-07-26, 05:40 PM
Nominh

Focused on the battle, Nominh strikes at the uninjured orc in front of him, twisting his blade to unbalance the ferocious humanoid. The orc dodges the blow easily.

Targeting Orc 1, hopefully someone can follow up on it if I don't kill it.

Vanguard strike. If I hit, allies get +4 to hit Orc 1 for 1 round.
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Maneuver granted [roll2]

Chimaera
2017-07-26, 06:26 PM
Johann finish intoning his long lullaby, as the orc's eyelids become heavy.
"Sleep well and may you have sweet dreams", he says blowing a handful of sand that shimmers and dissapears in the air.

Will DC 15 or sleep.
Not sure who else will be caught in the area, but I believe it will be Nominh or Darla

Ruess
2017-07-26, 06:51 PM
For a moment the two orcs seem to stand there slack-jawed as the spell falls on their minds- then with a bestial roar and a flying cloud of spittle they roar let loose a resounding roar that fills the cavern with a new level of violent sound.

The spell unfortunately also washes over Nominh, who is touched by the tendrils of the spell.

Dice, what are you doing?
Those nat 20s are not for the first encounter!

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-07-28, 06:08 AM
Slag

Slag takes another deep breath and attacks the orcs with his flames.

Breath : [roll0] DC 14 Reflex for half

Ruess
2017-07-28, 07:12 AM
The orcs fall. Neither one goes quietly or gracefully. But they do fall rather still after the flames and blades have fought back their avalance of violence. Three burnt humanoid forms now lie on the ground, and their mildly crispy stench does nothing to hide the stench of their forms. You hear a great echoing clamor around you though nothing leaps out from the lightless dark around you. The mules fidget in clear unease requiring Gloria to do her utmost to keep them calm, and she manages.

All you hear in words or speech is you own breath. And a faint squealing somewhere far ahead.

Number crunching from the IC and OOC, the final result of this round is more or less a very final ending.

Az'rael
2017-07-28, 02:44 PM
Khaldor turns to his companions and in a hushed tone says, "We should move quickly and quietly. Anyone or thing in this area heard this conflict, I'm sure. We should move quietly to somewhere we can collect our thoughts and figure out what comes next." He looks toward the other fire for any sign of motion or noise and then surveys his surroundings.

PeacefulOak
2017-07-28, 03:18 PM
Barack

The dwarf lifts the head of his morningstar from the torn belly of the final orc, giving it a flick to clear the gore from the spikes of the grisly weapon. Stretching and flexing his shoulder, he nods thanks to Nominh before turning to Khaldor.

"I'm afraid there's only so much we can do. With the light, we're a beacon in the darkness here. Nothing will prevent anything from seeing us, and I'm pretty sure that not everyone here can see without light." He glances around the group, noting that some indeed are tending to look where the light falls rather than out into the darkness past the edge. "I think I hear something, though. Someone with better ears than mine, is there something there?"

J-H
2017-07-28, 03:43 PM
Nominh

"Strength often serves to repulse evil. If they have seen us fight and win, they will have pause. If they are neutral, then we have nothing to fear either way.

Let us check these orcs for anything that may be of use."

Nominh searches the bodies, looking especially for any maps or papers.

Chimaera
2017-07-28, 05:06 PM
"Larger numbers turn even the weakest creatures in bolder ones", Johann says walking back to the group and helping Gloria with the mules, "Check them quickly and let's move away from them. Their state show they havent eat for some days maybe... Hunger may turn people desperate: maybe they were willing to take on our food supply or something?"

Ruess
2017-07-28, 05:48 PM
Upon each of the three orcs you find sad tatters they wore as armor as much as their garments, and conclude with little mental work that you would need considerable magic to make them usable: they are bloodied, torn, damaged, and caked in filth. They each had an axe that is nothing but a block of wood about the length of their arm from finger to elbow, and into which they tied a spike of metal using some metal wire together with thin string A closer look at the spikes reveals them to be from an ugly looking greenish tinted metal that smells odious and feels ineffably disgusting to touch but which are also very sharp and also in excellent condition. There is, as the last piece of equipment, a sad block of cracked wood with a strap upon the left arm of each orc. You could not call it a shield but you realize that it would serve as one in a pinch of desperation.

Starved orcs dressed in rags, wielding pieces of wood as shields and makeshift axes as their weapons, and charging at you from the darkness, without a word of Common tongue in their vocabulary.

What horror lies in here? Are there more of these starved beings somewhere huddled in the dark? And are any of them even sane? Or has hunger driven them into madness?

What is this metal? What metallurgical skills might you try to identify it with?

J-H
2017-07-28, 07:21 PM
Nominh

Nominh examines the strange metal, using his training in metals and armor.

Craft: Armor repair is too specific to be a book skill, but it's what I took. It would definitely include strange materials, such as the adamantine plating covering his body.
[roll0]

Az'rael
2017-07-28, 09:21 PM
"It may be best for those of us who can see in the dark to lead those of us who cannot. If anyone has a non-flame light source, we could cover it with rags so we CAN have light at a moment's notice, but still be able to move more stealthily."

Silver Night
2017-07-28, 09:51 PM
Darla

Not a bad idea, and the rest of us can at least listen.

Speaking of: Awareness [roll0] to listen to the surrounding darkness.

Ruess
2017-07-29, 09:52 PM
You do not recognize the metal but you do identify two qualities on it. It is sturdier and far more resilient that than typical metal, and secondly it shows some sigs of being toxic to touch as the material begins to show visual signs of rotting around the greatest concentration of the strange greenish metal. It is currenlty stuck in the spikes in small degrees that are just enough to apparently affect the matter around them but the entire weapon it not made of it and will not carry the effect thereof. From your experience you would not try to smelt these without protective gear and a well prepared set of smelting tools, because if the substance proves highly toxic...that would be bad for the quality of the air.

Goodess. This is Morgul Iron. You do not recall precisely where it comes from but you know it is a toxic substance that is used to make weaponry that makes for poor edge weapons but carried a virulent toxin that will poison anything it touches as soon as it is touched in raw form or in concentrated amounts. Presently it looks like there are small bits here and there randomly so it is safe for handling, but you do not want to see what vile tools can be crafted if all of it is harvested. It might be worth quite a bit of gold if refined to purest state, gathered up and then sold to a collector...

Those examining the metals are far too busy working on them to fully focus on their environments, but luckily those around them are on full alert and thus they are able to coclude that somewhere in the far away distance there was in fact a faint squealing sound, as well as the distintive noise of a door slamming soundly shut or bursting violently open. It echoed once before being stilled.

Silver Night
2017-07-30, 02:39 AM
Darla

"I'm guessing that was either our entrance closing or something out there opening. Let's keep moving - should we keep heading for that fire?"

J-H
2017-08-01, 09:35 AM
Nominh

"Yes, let's keep moving." The warforged separates the metal spikes from their crude handles, wraps them in a piece of cloth torn from one of the orcs, and places them in his pack.

Chimaera
2017-08-01, 09:40 AM
"If you plan on walking without light, we should probably just hold hands and have those who can see to guide us", he says offering Gloria his hand covering his staff with his cloak, so that to cover its light.

J-H
2017-08-01, 10:07 AM
Nominh

"I understand that romance is important to those of you who were conceived and birthed instead of built, but is this really the time for it?" The sides of Nominh's mouth edge slightly upwards in a suppressed smile as he turns away from the group.

PeacefulOak
2017-08-01, 11:14 AM
Barack

Barack sighs. "The light on Stubborn Mule can be easily concealed or revealed, but I state again it would be foolhardy to leave members of our party without the sense of sight. Let us decide quickly our course: do we continue to the fire, or do we change course towards the squeaks and the boom? For myself, I have no preference save that we move."

Az'rael
2017-08-01, 09:49 PM
"Regarding the weapon here, please, someone put it away. This weapon contains a rare substance that can poison someone if injured by it. We may be able to find a way to make money off it down the road, but for now it is best put away." Khaldor turns to Barack and says, "I only brought up hiding the lights because they put a target on our back and announce our location to any who wish to know it. We must trust one another down here if we are to make it. I only ask that we hide them until we have more of a grasp of our surroundings."

Silver Night
2017-08-01, 11:33 PM
Darla

"We can listen, and if something is approaching and those who can see them see them, then we can uncover them quickly and maybe temporarily dazzle our attackers. Since they're likely to be looking at us - and the light, and we will be looking out at them."

Ruess
2017-08-05, 04:14 AM
Without Direction...

You take a breather then and there. The orcs are not going anywhere, but neither are you as your mind has yet to be made up. You ponder the ideas of going to the other campfire far away, and then muse what you might discover at the one much nearer your position. Besides those two you spend a moment wondering if there were more orcs and if they might have slipped elsewhere from the fire, mayhaps scared by your entrance via the portcullis. Besides those, you also take a moment to reflect on the reasoning behind orcs holding onto such tools when they likely should have something less crude given how each oen of you can say the weapons are far more crude than even a tribal orc ought to wield.

Time passes mercilessly in your short rest. Ten full minutes later you feel less fatigued and more ready to more on. That was a good breather, although the shorter-lived lights of you group have gone ought. Luckily some of you brought long-lived lights so your vision is not blotted out and neither are your animals frightened.

Chimaera
2017-08-05, 11:03 AM
After taking the time to rest and ponder, Johann looknat everyone gathered in the dark.

"My light isnt eternal and staying here we might become sitting ducks. Let's go investigate that camp and see if there are more opposition or not: if there are enemies here, we better deal with them before we rest and set camp".

Silver Night
2017-08-05, 08:22 PM
Darla

"Sounds like a plan. Let's go."

Ruess
2017-08-06, 06:20 AM
Your trail leads you to a fire. It is a strangely large one: you measure it with nary a single glance and know deep in you that this is a fire far too large to be a normal campfire. An ordinary one you would sit beside and enjoy its orange-golden illumination along with a little wave of its warmth whilearound it you would keep some rocks. This one in comparison is built from a great amount of refuse that burns bright and heavy in a conflagaration kept inside a ring of metal set in the rock, but which a nudge reveals to be movable albeit heavy and hot enough to burn a touching hand. The heat from the fire is considerable, but you eight bedrolls placed right by the fire and beside each there is a rucksack in poor condition and showing equally wretched make.

Spending a moment by the fire you discover the light to be cast around it in a considerable radius, much more than a campfire might shed. The heat and light are comforting after the darkness, the cold air in it, and the moisture lingering. Yet you are certain this is far too much light and heat to be just a fire to rest by.

This is not a little barbeque fire, and this is not a campfire.
This is a very large bonfire, built on wood and refuse.
The light and heat are ample - but going too near risks temporary overheating if you are not careful.

J-H
2017-08-06, 07:22 AM
Nominh

"What is the purpose of a single large fire like this? It burns hot, but would then be extinguished. I suspect that the fire has some origin besides simple rest.
It also appears that we may meet 5 further orcs."

Nominh inspects the bedrolls & packs for anything of use.

Chimaera
2017-08-06, 07:33 AM
Johann approach the gargantuan conflagration with the rest and look around.
"Maybe this huge bonfire was just to make anyone seeing it believe their numbers were way greater than eight and thus keeping most of the people away from it? People or monsters, of course", the mage dare not get too close to the fire, "At least I believed it would be a much larger group than eight orcs. Fire bring confort and keep most beasts at bay and inside a cold a dark dungeon, I can see why someone would like to feel safe and confortable".

Silver Night
2017-08-06, 06:21 PM
Darla

Darla searches the packs and bedrolls, and surrounding area

Search: [roll0]

PeacefulOak
2017-08-09, 11:24 AM
Barack

The surly dwarf looks around, frustrated at the seeming lack of opposition. The first battle had only whetted his appetite for more, and he knew that through battle came experience and power which would allow him to save his people.

"Alright all you sharp-eyed types, anyone see any signs of things that need bashing?"

Ruess
2017-08-10, 01:17 PM
The area holds little of interest that Darla can find. The cavern ground, she notes as the one thing worth a thought, is strangely even. It is damaged, scratched and pockmarked - but there are no major chunks missing nor are there crates in it.

Darla has to be incredibly swift and dart in to haul the backpacks as well as the bedrolls out of the fire's immediate radius lest she burn up at the start of her search. It takes some doing but she is able to pull it off. Thus, she is able to search at her leisure.

From the bedrolls Darla finds a few sticks and one pair of moldy footwraps, and a few dirty rags.

From the backpacks Darla finds some more things of interest if of little less interest. In each backpack there lies a small pouch of copper and silver coins who count to a total of fifteen coppers and six silvers. Beside them Darla finds one waterskin each, some bundles of rotten meat rations with precision, two torches fashioned using long blocks of wood around which oily rags are wrapped - and in one of them, a small box full of decayed teeth. A total of thirty eight packed tightly in a compact wood box: the box was locked, but Darla picked it with ease after she found there to be no traps.

Interestingly, those keeping watch hear some echoes of distant clanging, and ghosts of what might be conversations echoing from far away. A few times they swear they see lights East of your location - few in number as they are, the sentinels of your group are dead certain the sounds and lights flicker in a direction. They are difficult to see, as if something is blocking sight beyond a certain point, but from where Barack and Johann are standing they saw lights moving in the dark: small dots moved, and then flickered in darkness before they were swallowed by the lightless cold, vanished from sight for good.

PeacefulOak
2017-08-10, 01:32 PM
Barack

Without looking away from the last place he saw the lights, Barack calls back. "Any luck back there? I see action to the east of us. We should head that way, as this camp will be easy to find again if we need." While he waits, he pulls out the parchment and quill and updates his map, using the compass to confirm their relative location and direction of this next leg of their journey.

J-H
2017-08-10, 02:19 PM
Nominh

"Agreed."

Nominh looks at the box of teeth. "Strange. They cannot be used as spare biological components, so there must be some reason for retaining them."

Silver Night
2017-08-11, 12:33 AM
Darla

"Not much else here. This isn't the best tactical position, though the fire can protect our back and some of us do need the light to see by. I say we keep moving, though."

Chimaera
2017-08-11, 12:19 PM
"Let's investigate those lights", Johann says but let any of those metalmen to lead the way, "Maybe they took a teeth from each orc so they could us those as a mean to raise the dead?"

Ruess
2017-08-11, 06:13 PM
To east you discover a singular doorway sans a door carved from the mountainous rock that lies South and East of your claimed campfire. It lies near the corner where the sides of southern and eastern walls meet yet it stands askew a few feet left from the corner's location. It stands taller than a man but leans with the sway of a drunkard. Before you draw near you hear from the other side great many voices, but they prove more echoes than persons until you are certain there are at least four persons in there, each with a torch. Said torches move with rapid motion, drawn in great arcs that speak of speed and either great mental distress or other intent to keep light flurrying all around its wielder.

From your position near the entrance you learn that the room carries a heavy scent of something wet, with an undercurrent of something indescribable that reminds you of lizards, reptilians and swamps. The interior is vast but not infinite and there are walls in the chamber albeit the great size of the chamber you have discovered does make estimating its size and shape a challenge from this position. The lights are distant, very far when you consider the radius of a torch and the light shed by its flames, yet their shine reveals a group of similar looking orcs gathered by what looks like an area with a floor pattern that is different in a distinct manner you suspect involves materials of differing kind from this cold stone. Behind them you spy the looming presence of a familiar stone wall, but of ceiling you spy naught yet again.

You have not been noticed yet, but you know there is a limited time before that will happen...

J-H
2017-08-13, 09:01 AM
Nominh

"They may be crazy...or being attacked my something else. We should watch to see what happens." The warforged speaks in a gravelly whisper.

Silver Night
2017-08-13, 07:19 PM
Darla

"Well, if they can't see it, I know I can't. Any of you have anything that would help with an attacker that's tough to see?"

PeacefulOak
2017-08-14, 02:20 PM
Barack

The husky dwarf laughs. "What matter, that? Let's go and deal with both! Monsters have no place here, and orcs are better off slain regardless." He begins to walk towards the commotion.

Chimaera
2017-08-14, 08:36 PM
Not really interested in being left behind, Johann follow suit inside the next chamber.

[roll0]

Silver Night
2017-08-14, 11:01 PM
Darla goes along - but lets the dwarf be in front.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2017-08-16, 08:48 PM
Slag

Slag follows along without complaint. He was a bit perplexed by the fire and the orcs.

"Maybe it was religious or something." he mumbles clearly having no clue.

Ruess
2017-08-17, 08:26 PM
The darkness that swallows you in this chamber is filled with the stench of body odor beneath which swims the oafish prevalence of slime and through which you almost taste the presence of something too vile for words. You struggle to keep your stomach from roiling violently in that very instant when the vastness of this chamber lets you through the gateway into the yawning emptiness. In it your light sheds its glow revealing a floor covered in fetid splatters of mucus colored somewhere within ranges of grey and a sickening green. By consistency it appears like liquid, yet it holds a sticky nature that grabs onto your foot when your boot so much as brushes upon an a faint blob of it upon the ground.

To your immediate right you spy a great amount of hay covering the floor, free of the filth as far as you can tell. Neither the bright illumination nor that shadowy one sees its end for it continues in this way beyond your sight.

To your left lies nothing except the disgusting floor covered in this substance, and the cold stone that forms the wall separating this chamber's darkness from that of the vaster one you came from.

The orcs stand far ahead, but they have not noticed you. They seem to be flailing far more furiously than before, however. Then, without any warning, from one of them you hear a sudden shrill cry before it falls to the ground clutching its chest. It lies unmoving on the ground, yet its fall prompts the closest one to hastily pick up the fallen torch. A great degree of shouting arises from the three survivors, each of whom holds a distressed tone in their shouting voices now.

You vomit right then and there. The nauseating stench overcomes you.
You are sickened until you leave this vile chamber.

Silver Night
2017-08-18, 12:05 AM
Darla

Darla loses her lunch, "Any of you have magic that could clear some of this out? Some kind of brisk breeze or the like?" Nevertheless she forges ahead with the others.

PeacefulOak
2017-08-22, 05:22 PM
Barack

Cringing at the sound of vomiting from behind him, the dwarf barrels forward, trusting his allies to continue with him.

"Let's take them all down! If they're being attacked, then we can take out both forces!"

Ruess
2017-08-23, 09:10 PM
Your group follows Barack's lead. To your disgust you find the floor caked further in filth and the nauseating stench ever present in this chamber. The remaining orcs seem at first unaware of you, but one of them sights you perhaps out of the corner of its eye, and shouts an alarm that draws the group's attention upon you. The remaining two dash towards you, but for what reason you cannot say.

You have been sighted.
Two remaining orcs are closing in. They are running at you since you did not declare combat.
You have one round of actions to prepare in unless you charge at them in which case you will meet one orc in the middle of their dash at you.

Roll for initiative. You mean these orcs harm as per Barack's plan.

Silver Night
2017-08-24, 12:31 AM
Darla

Init: [roll0]

If there is time, Darla will try to shoot one of the approaching orcs in the round before they arrive!

Attack: [roll1]
Damage:[roll2]

PeacefulOak
2017-08-25, 10:16 AM
Barack

The dwarf growls at their approach, readying his morningstar and shield.

"I won't make the same mistake twice. When it gets close, I'll make one of them lie down, give us time to get up in their face."

Readying an action (seeing as we're taking combat actions) to use my Command ability to make on of them Fall (apparently sleep isn't an option).

J-H
2017-08-25, 10:08 PM
Nominh

Nominh starts running towards his foolish allies, seeing that battle is about to commence.

He's 280' away from the group, and with adamantine plate the best he can manage is a triple move.

Ruess
2017-08-25, 11:53 PM
Before the orcs close in Darla manages to get a shot off. Sadly, the shot veers off far from her intended target.

Nominh, having stayed away from the toxic room, rushes in and joins the group as they prepare battle formation.

All except the wizard - whom none recall seeing in the last few moments.

Combat begins!

Darla, take action!

After you, the prepared actions of PCs shall happen.

Initiatives

Hostiles
Orc 1 - 16
Orc 2 - 16

PCs
Darla 19
PCs that did not roll their initiative: 7.

Our valued wizard friend is temporarily removed, to my sadness. We hope to see him again in the future.

Silver Night
2017-08-26, 01:21 AM
Darla

Darla draws one of her swords and takes a swing at the nearest Orc.

Darla looses an arrow at the closer of the oncoming orcs!

Alternatively, if they aren't in melee range yet, she will take another shot with her bow.

Attack:
[roll0] + 2 (since I'm doing the bow instead) for a 16.
Damage: [roll1] -1

Ruess
2017-08-30, 03:31 AM
Resolution

Darla's arrow scratches one of the charging duo. It is a mild injury that is barely even a scratch but it is still a hit and an injury as well.

The subsequent counter-charge from your group catches the orc pair by a surprise; in their momentary lack of both planning and momentum your own crushing speed overwhelms them. In the span of but few breaths it is all over and silence once more reigns. You covered some forty feet into this chamber, and you think you see something dead ahead to the Eastern end of this chamber where you know that one orc lies on the ground.

You are victorious - and uninjured as well. But your wizard has vanished...

Silver Night
2017-08-30, 11:38 PM
Darla

Darla points to the east, "Maybe if we head over there it will get us out of whatever this nastiness is."

PeacefulOak
2017-09-06, 11:54 AM
Barack

Looking around quickly, Barack curses in the foul air. "Where the blazes did the blasted wizard go? Curse this hole. Let's carry on and check the bodies of those fallen orcs before we leave this place."

Ruess
2017-09-08, 07:11 PM
Withdraw
You withdraw from that chamber of shadowy horrors and find yourself in the comforting light of the bonfire whose glow casts away the shadows on the edges of your vision. It is in the embrace of the warmth offered by the flames that you find your wits and strength of intestines again now that you no longer need to inhale that fetid air borne of something you do not want to think of lest nausea rise again.

Now calm and focused again you face the question of what to do...

PeacefulOak
2017-09-11, 02:41 PM
Barack

The dwarf harumphs at their withdrawal, turning his hands to the fire. "Well then, where to now?"

Silver Night
2017-09-11, 10:48 PM
Darla

Pick a random direction? It's so dark in here, it isn't like one seems much better than another.

Ruess
2017-09-19, 05:51 PM
A sound in the dark~

You hear it in the general direction of the entrance you used to arrive here. From that direction comes the whinging of metal, the creaking of rock and metal grinding together, and echoes of boots upon this floor, distant as they may sound...

Silver Night
2017-09-19, 11:51 PM
Darla

Darla spins toward the sound, bow at the ready.

PeacefulOak
2017-09-20, 10:31 AM
Barack

"From the entrance, is it? I wonder if we have new explorers to compete with? What do you say, lads?"

J-H
2017-09-20, 12:54 PM
Nominh

"We shall soon learn the answer to that question." Nominh puts himself between the group and whatever is approaching.

Ruess
2017-10-05, 06:15 PM
You wait by the fire prepared for a friend or foe to draw to your location. You hear their footsteps which reveal the presence of one single person but somehow in the silence that grows with each breath their presence feels all the more increased. Not only that, but you hear their steps drawing towards your exact location.

At an inevitable point your eyes catch sight of them, a figure now approaching and whom you recognize as someone who was aboard that ship you arrived in, a fellow traveler more or less and who parted ways once off the ship.

But how is it they are here now? By themselves? And in your company no less?

Please welcome our newest addition smasher0404.
Our second applicant is delayed and will hopefully join us in te future when they have fixed their life from the hurricane's damages.

smasher0404, please describe your character in fair detail in a post.

J-H
2017-10-08, 07:50 AM
Nominh

The warforged holds his shield up. "Halt! I recognize you, but please confirm your identity in this strange place."