PDA

View Full Version : DMing Help

DiscipleofBob
2007-08-05, 05:58 PM
I've been looking at sites like Myspace or Facebook for something to help keep track of games I'm playing in/DMing/thinking of playing in or DMing. Anyone have any recommendations as to which one's better or have some tips for setting up an account for either site with such a purpose?

Ranis
2007-08-05, 07:04 PM
Uhm......what?

You're looking to organize your game interests?
You want a game search engine?

DiscipleofBob
2007-08-06, 01:15 AM
I want to organize information on the games I'm either playing in or running on a website of some sort.

Glyphic
2007-08-06, 01:19 AM
You might try Freewebs. You can password lock pages, post images, add other pages on after the main page.

Josh the Aspie
2007-08-06, 01:27 AM
Well, if you can run a relatively installation script, but are not all that great at building webpages, you might want to try Wordpress, or another CMS (Content Management System). With them you can create pages, and other content with a relative amount of ease, and automatically publish the works. You can also leave time based information open for comments so that you can make announcements your players can read and reply to them... such as if you won't be able to hold a gaming session for some reason. I've got my blog link in my signatures. I haven't created any additional "pages" yet, but you can see the flexibility of the blog by browsing through it.

If I recall, there are ways to get free wordpress blogs setup for you without even having to install them.

Goober4473
2007-08-06, 02:06 AM
Is there anything wrong with a folder on your computer for each game, or do you need to access the stuff from a bunch of differant computers often?

nerulean
2007-08-06, 07:21 AM
I'd suggest a wiki site, like seedwiki (http://www.seedwiki.com/) which is the cleanest and simplest wiki site I've found. Alternatively, a blog like livejournal could work nicely, though then you've got to make sure you link everything yourself.

Ranis
2007-08-06, 07:23 AM
You could just use Microsoft Excel and not worry about servers being down or your internet crashing randomly.

Winterwind
2007-08-06, 08:36 AM
I'd actually suggest just going for the most old-fashioned solution and using paper (with a whole lot of folders - at least one for every game you play). You can carry it with you to every session (as you would with a character sheet anyways), don't have to worry about computer access and don't have a computer humming right next to you while playing.

(PS: Is your name, by chance, inspired by the adventure game Sanitarium?)

DiscipleofBob
2007-08-06, 12:06 PM
I'd actually suggest just going for the most old-fashioned solution and using paper (with a whole lot of folders - at least one for every game you play). You can carry it with you to every session (as you would with a character sheet anyways), don't have to worry about computer access and don't have a computer humming right next to you while playing.

(PS: Is your name, by chance, inspired by the adventure game Sanitarium?)

The main problem I have with folders is that when it comes to hardcopy stuff, as good as it is to have in front of me, I lose things easy. (When you live with three other college gamers, that kind of stuff happens). I'm Chaotic Easily-Forgetful. So sue me. I like the idea of being able to go on any computer and retrieve whatever information I need.

Also I should mention my computer which had been overheating and crashing all summer is kind of dead now and I'm stuck on a roommate's computer.

Freewebs, seedwiki, wordpress, and livejournal all sound interesting. I need to look into all of those.

PS. (No, actually, it's a reference, though obscure, to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglass Adams)

Winterwind
2007-08-06, 01:11 PM
The main problem I have with folders is that when it comes to hardcopy stuff, as good as it is to have in front of me, I lose things easy. (When you live with three other college gamers, that kind of stuff happens). I'm Chaotic Easily-Forgetful. So sue me. I like the idea of being able to go on any computer and retrieve whatever information I need. Ah. Alright, that's a perfectly valid reason I can relate to. :smallsmile:
In that case, you might consider writing all your stuff down on your computer (in Excel, Word, LaTeX, whatever), preferably converting it to PDF, and then uploading this file somewhere.

PS. (No, actually, it's a reference, though obscure, to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglass Adams)Ah, I see. Huh. Shame on me for not recognising it, then - I've read the books so many times...