PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A UA: Revised Class Options (warlock pact of the blade) Eldritch Smite

Klorox
2017-06-24, 02:49 PM
https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/June5UA_RevisedClassOptv1.pdf

Does it need to be specifically warlock spell slots, or can you use any spell slots for a smite?

I ask because while the text says "warlock spell slot," it also says in the PHB that smites happen with paladin spell slots, which has been proven as flavor text a hundred times over.

Eldritch Smite
Prerequisite: 5th level, Pact of the Blade feature
Once per turn when you hit a creature with your pact weapon, you can expend a warlock spell slot to deal an extra 1d8 force damage to the target, plus another 1d8 per level of the spell slot. If the target takes any of this damage, you can knock the target prone if it is Huge or smaller.

RSP
2017-06-24, 02:51 PM
https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/June5UA_RevisedClassOptv1.pdf

Does it need to be specifically warlock spell slots, or can you use any spell slots for a smite?

I ask because while the text says "warlock spell slot," it also says in the PHB that smites happen with paladin spell slots, which has been proven as flavor text a hundred times over.

The answer is "UA isn't made for multiclassing" so they don't take into account slots from other classes.

Cybren
2017-06-24, 02:59 PM
The answer is "UA isn't made for multiclassing" so they don't take into account slots from other classes.

Unlike paladins, warlock multiclass characters DO have a separate pool of "warlock" slots vs "non-warlock slots" so that is different from the paladins case, too.

Lombra
2017-06-24, 03:09 PM
Warlock spell slots don't come from the spellcasting feature so they are not treated as any other slot for the multiclass rules. This means that unlike paladin's, warlock spell slots are exclusive and count as a separate pool if slots as ut is already been said.

And arguimg UA RAW multiclass is pretty pointless.

thoroughlyS
2017-06-24, 08:22 PM

To be fair, the earliest version of the Player's Handbook Errata (http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/PH_Errata.pdf) (pub. June 10 2015) changes Divine Smite to allow for any spell slot. Every printing after that has just said "...you can expend one spell slot...", with no mention of paladin specifically. Calling it "flavor text" is misleading.

Laserlight
2017-06-24, 10:42 PM
Sage Advice has explicitly said that lock slots can be used for paladin smites. I see no reason why it would not work the other way around.

miburo
2017-06-25, 12:43 PM
The biggest problem is that Eldritch Smite does not have a level cap. So if you are Bladelock 5/Sorcer 15, you could technically use 8th level slots to smite and get +9d8 damage out of it. As per Unearthed Arcana's general "not balanced for multiclassing," Eldritch Smite was very likely balanced for Warlock slots only (+6d8 damage total). If I were the DM I would allow it to be used with non-warlock slots but set a damage cap of +6d8, similar to Paladin smites.

Cybren
2017-06-26, 06:41 AM
The biggest problem is that Eldritch Smite does not have a level cap. So if you are Bladelock 5/Sorcer 15, you could technically use 8th level slots to smite and get +9d8 damage out of it. As per Unearthed Arcana's general "not balanced for multiclassing," Eldritch Smite was very likely balanced for Warlock slots only (+6d8 damage total). If I were the DM I would allow it to be used with non-warlock slots but set a damage cap of +6d8, similar to Paladin smites.

A 20th level character using their one 8th level slot to deliver +9d8 damage does not seem very broken.

Joe the Rat
2017-06-26, 08:31 AM
UA language is always a bit janky - we're always left trying to figure out the RAI to guess the eventual RAW.

"Warlock spell slots" is not a technical term. There are Pact magic spell slots and Spellcasting spell slots.

If this would get revised to "Pact magic spell slots," then you get a 5d8 cap until such a time as another pact magic class comes along with higher slots... but it looks like if there was a pact multiclass, you would only gain numbers of slots, not levels. They're pretty serious about that 6+ being limited for everyone.
if this would get revised to "spell slots," then yes, a 20th level character primary caster (warlock3/caster17) can get 9d8 added to a weapon attack once a day. That translates to 18d8 plus 2x weapon die on a critical. Instead of 40d6 to an entire township(Meteor Swarm). Or 19d6+40 force and no body left behind (9th level disintegrate). Or Power Word Kill.

So what's appropriate?
Compared to the Paladin:
- This starts weaker (1d8 per slot level vs 1d8, plus 1d8 per slot level), so you need a higher slot for the same impact
0 Base model warlock has no fine tuning on that damage; spellcasting slots from multiclassing would give you some flexibility
+ It is not limited to melee attacks, but you'll need to pact weapon a magic bow.

Any spell slot should be fine. And it would give smitelock its own niche. The worst thing it does is make a 3 level warlock dip the must-have.

DivisibleByZero
2017-06-26, 09:18 AM
A slot is a slot is a slot. Designers have made that clear.
While UA isn't tuned for multiclassing, if your DM allows it, then any slot will do.