PDA

View Full Version : Optimization What kinda nifty race/feat/class combos can you swing with artificers?

Tetrasodium
2017-06-24, 11:21 PM
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/213032/Unearthed-Arcana-The-Artificer-Class-5e
Wotc has the artificer kinda sorta almost available for AL & I've been kinda thinking about what kinda nifty stuff they would allow like sorcadins, gish+booming/green flame blade, kobold moon druids, etc. Has anyomne come up with some interesting optimizations for artificers yet?

solidork
2017-06-25, 01:16 PM
Starting as an Artificer at 1st level is potentially interesting:
-Constitution saving throw proficiency
-Medium Armor (no shields though, unfortunately)
-3 Skills

The Alchemist's damaging potions will quickly become useless, but a (mostly) permanent 20ft bonus to your speed is kinda cool. Second level might be nice for Humans as a way to get darkvision.

werescythe
2017-08-13, 04:41 AM
It would be great if they would be done with the drafting/testing of this class and actually release it. Or if someone on this forum could at least try to talk about how to optimize it.

iTreeby
2017-08-13, 06:36 AM
Mounted combatant is good for artificer. You can keep your construct safer and grant it attacks against the attacker by using its reaction. I'm not sure if there is a better race than rock gnome for a artificer, but if there is it probably won't be as fun.

Tetrasodium
2017-08-13, 04:56 PM
It would be great if they would be done with the drafting/testing of this class and actually release it. Or if someone on this forum could at least try to talk about how to optimize it.

I think part of the problem might be that they only released part of the class & a significant chunk of it is being held back till they are ready to announce that not only have they had eberron somewhere on the product roadmap since it was dndnext when it was stated in a few places with no date, but also that the held back portions cash with faerun. Unfortunately, like shifter/warforged/changeling, the class itself is so badly lacking that it's simply not a realistic thing to consider using or optimizing.

Put into perspective, I run two AL games set in diferent parts of Eberron (one in Droaam, & one in Breland heading towards darguun ->zil)
Across those games, I have players that are:
A kobold
Two Znir Pact Gnolls (both from droaam I believe)
a Gnome representin' his peeps in Zil Yo!
a kenku from Thrane
4 humans from Breland (in the droaam game:), Karrnath, Demon Wastes, & talenta plains
a shifter from valenar
a couple I'm forgetting

out of that mix I've made available all of the UA stuff & have mechanically four humans, three tabaxi, one gnome who will dust you if you think you can get snarky with the ceiling dawg!, a kenku, a kobold, and a couple humans I'm forgetting. The eberron races & aside from absurdly broken psionic mystic(?) eberron classes are too lacking to even consider

edit: When I first started this thread, I did it in the hopes that someone would point out a weird edge case like some of the 3.5 feat/PrC bingo stuff that was avtually useful. Seeing the thread spring back up surprised me