PDA

View Full Version : DBZ Abridged

Douglas
2017-06-25, 01:18 AM
I'm curious how popular this one is among the forumites here.

About the latest episode released yesterday: having watched the entire non-abridged series, I just lost it at 14:52 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXmOOXMg8Wc#t=14m49s). Somehow, I was completely surprised by how they edited that spot.:smallamused:

Lord Raziere
2017-06-25, 01:24 AM
well I've watched all of it. repeatedly. without getting tired of it. So....I think I'm a big fan. In fact, I might have a problem.

me, my favorite line was:
"I didn't ask to be born DADS!" just......freaking made laugh out loud. one of the best lines for me. so true.

Lethologica
2017-06-25, 02:39 AM
I can't bring myself to sit through the original at its...pace, so this is my only and preferred source of DBZ until I buckle down to read the manga.

Present 2.0
2017-06-25, 03:20 AM
That Cell said that Line to Gohan and Cell said Crapbaskets, that seems to imply, that he has Gohans DNA in this Version.

Which I find somewhat sad, because I always thought it had something, that Gohan has to defeat someone who was a Mix of all the Members of the last Generation.

Emperor Demonking
2017-06-25, 03:21 AM
I really like it - but I didn't know of the recent new one, ta - and I think it works as both abridged and parody. You are getting the benefit of plot twists - I think, I've only watched DBZ once probably over a decade ago - but in a really short time period. The voices also - compared to something like YGOA - could work sincerely. I'd definitely watch the real show if there was an easy, cheap and ethical way to do it - if it came out for Netflix, you'd think I were a super sayain from my pace - but I wonder if the voicing and pacing on DBA would spoil me.

Its also very funny, although I'm not sure if I like Mr. Popo. I've watched some Renegades too which I very much enjoyed (I deliberately decided to pace myself).

Anteros
2017-06-25, 03:34 AM
I love abridged. The quality has slipped a little recently, but considering how long they've been putting out excellent content it's understandable that they have their ups and downs. This newest episode was pretty good. Hopefully we're back on an up-swing.

Something people may not be aware of, but sometimes (very rarely) they sneak extra jokes into the closed captioning.

I can't bring myself to sit through the original at its...pace, so this is my only and preferred source of DBZ until I buckle down to read the manga.

Have you considered Kai? I haven't personally watched it, but I understand it's supposed to be DBZ with the pacing fixed.

Douglas
2017-06-25, 03:45 AM
So many hilarious lines, it's hard to pick a favorite. But one that comes to mind from recent episodes is Tien exchanging trash talk with Vegeta - "How many Gokus have you beaten?"

For Lethologica and anyone else who hasn't watched the original, Tien's first appearance in Dragonball (from a time before where DBZA starts) was when he entered the World Martial Arts tournament, and (very narrowly) won the championship by beating Goku in the final round. Thus, Tien has beaten Goku while Vegeta has not.

I'd definitely watch the real show if there was an easy, cheap and ethical way to do it - if it came out for Netflix, you'd think I were a super sayain from my pace - but I wonder if the voicing and pacing on DBA would spoil me.
Looks like Funimation has it (https://www.funimation.com/shows/dragon-ball-z/), available to Premium subscribers which costs $5.99/month. All 291 episodes. Also Dragonball (https://www.funimation.com/shows/dragon-ball/), which came first and weighs in at 153 episodes. Might take you a while to finish.

Emperor Demonking
2017-06-25, 05:21 AM
So many hilarious lines, it's hard to pick a favorite. But one that comes to mind from recent episodes is Tien exchanging trash talk with Vegeta - "How many Gokus have you beaten?"

For Lethologica and anyone else who hasn't watched the original, Tien's first appearance in Dragonball (from a time before where DBZA starts) was when he entered the World Martial Arts tournament, and (very narrowly) won the championship by beating Goku in the final round. Thus, Tien has beaten Goku while Vegeta has not.

Looks like Funimation has it (https://www.funimation.com/shows/dragon-ball-z/), available to Premium subscribers which costs $5.99/month. All 291 episodes. Also Dragonball (https://www.funimation.com/shows/dragon-ball/), which came first and weighs in at 153 episodes. Might take you a while to finish.

Not available in my country.

I think my favourite line is that time when Android 16 says "I want to kill Son Goku" otherwise I don't really remember individual lines.

The ending of the most recent episode got a full laugh out of me.

Kato
2017-06-25, 05:33 AM
I'm not sure if this needs an extra thread but who am I to complain to get to talk about one of my favorite things to watch.

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of it. Most of it. Some things I like less, e.g. Popo I... guess/hope they just started to make as weird as he is and now can't back down? I mean, I like some things about him but sometimes he's just annoying. And a few jokes once in a while are a bit too dumb...
But overall, I feel it just does everything right that a parody should do. It tkes the characters and (for the most part) doesn't twist them into gags, it just takes what is their weapest points and exaggerates it. Sometimes a little (Vegeta) sometimes more (Goku) but never to the point where it completely changes them. Okay, rarely. Guru was... too obnoxious for me, most of the time.

@original: I think I've seen the original show once or maybe twice through when it was still airing in German. I liked it back then, also because I watched DB way more when I was younger. Now... I can't see myself sitting through it. A while ago I watched Kai subbed, to get a feel for the original instead of rewatching DBA over and over and over. It was fine but I'm not sure I'd do it again. Never saw much of the English dub, just clips.

Slightly off-topic... anyone has recommendations for other Abridged shows? I liked Naruto Abridged when it was the second show (I think) and the original is still fine, although not... yeah, just not as good as DBA. (Sorry, LK) And then there is Hellsing which I can enjoy because it's done by other competent people.
But apart from that... I tried a bunch of them, like None Piece but I can't recall any that worked for me. Usually it was just poor humor, at least for what I saw. Anyone has a suggestion what I might try?

Silfir
2017-06-25, 05:42 AM
I was a bit disappointed in the angle they took with Mr Satan - he just sounds like Rekoom. Just doesn't fit the guy.

Personally I give Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged a slight edge because it's not written by committee, and LK is more talented than the arithmetic mean of Team Four Star, so it has higher peaks - but it also covers his early learning period, so you get to sit through the ups and downs.

The only abridged series in my book that got close to YGOTAS and DBZA was Nullmetal Alchemist, which unfortunately fell victim to Youtube copyright nonsense - the creator just couldn't handle it being taken down all the time anymore. It's actually become fairly impossible to locate the full run of Nullmetal Alchemist, which is a crying shame.

Dienekes
2017-06-25, 06:12 AM

I thought that one was weird, honestly, because both their answers would be "One."

Ape Gohan, Krillin, and Yajirobe beat Vegeta. Goku was already out of the fight by that point.

In any case, really enjoy the show. Which is interesting for me because except for a brief period where all my friends were watching DBZ when I was a kid, I've never really been interested in it.

As far as Abridges go. I think DBZA is pretty much the top. Followed by Sword Art Online: Abridged and then Yugioh.

Vinyadan
2017-06-25, 06:18 AM
I agree on Popo being not all that funny, it's a kind of character that is very hard to write (reminds me of Bun Bun from Sluggy Freelance and Richard from LFG).

My favourite is probably the whole Namek part. Nanananana Dende - Dendeee- Dendeeeee- Big Green! Have you gone help the foreigners? No sir, I was outside, banging my head against the wall.

I think that quality has gone down mostly because DBZ's quality had gone awry by now. Compared to how rich the Namek saga was, the Cell saga is very dry, although the Cell vs Goku fight was probably the best in the show. T4S is still doing great with movies. The t4s movie about the brain doctor is awesome.

Tono
2017-06-25, 05:55 PM
I greatly enjoyed TFS' portrayal of Cell and Goku through this whole saga. Cell is made reeeeeallly creepy pre perfect, and his Goku interactions are amazing.

Forum Explorer
2017-06-25, 06:27 PM
Slightly off-topic... anyone has recommendations for other Abridged shows? I liked Naruto Abridged when it was the second show (I think) and the original is still fine, although not... yeah, just not as good as DBA. (Sorry, LK) And then there is Hellsing which I can enjoy because it's done by other competent people.
But apart from that... I tried a bunch of them, like None Piece but I can't recall any that worked for me. Usually it was just poor humor, at least for what I saw. Anyone has a suggestion what I might try?

Sword Art Online Abridged.

Also, I think I like the Cell saga better. Cell is hilarious, well except as Semi-Perfect Cell. That part was...poor.

Blackhawk748
2017-06-25, 06:30 PM
I have one thing to say:

"Well you know what? **** Androids, **** Super Saiyans, and **** you!! Shin Kiko Ho!"

Dragonus45
2017-06-25, 06:30 PM
Oh yea SAO Abridged is amazing. It is actually better than SAO itself funnily enough.

Also I like the Cell saga a lot so I'm loving the Abridged Cell saga. Does anyone here watch the non DBZA stuff like the lets plays and the nuzlocke runes?

Anteros
2017-06-25, 06:49 PM

I've watched quite a few and SAO abridged is the only one I'd recommend. Berserk abridged had some good moments, but most people haven't watched the original Berserk cartoon and it won't really be funny if you haven't.

Rater202
2017-06-25, 06:50 PM
Also I like the Cell saga a lot so I'm loving the Abridged Cell saga. Does anyone here watch the non DBZA stuff like the lets plays and the nuzlocke runes?

I Share many of Lani's opinions on what should be in KHIII

Lord Raziere
2017-06-25, 06:54 PM

I do. you get learn some context for their jokes in Abridged and generally see what kind of people they are behind the curtain, so you know what TFS is actually like, they're a pretty rowdy yet relaxed bunch, with their conversations going very WEIRD places at times, and are very good at coming up with alternate character interpretations on the fly so that you know where their abridging humor comes from. you don't really get TFS until you watch them discuss eating one the limbs of their friends at work (which IS TFS) and all of them agreeing to go to a barbecue to eat the leg of the first one who loses their leg, all with a smile on their face while they grind through a nuzlocke. its one of those bizarre pieces of conversation where your not sure how serious they are being and wondering whether not they are just screwing with us.

I also watched SAO Abridged and liked it.

might I recommend Bleach (S) Abridged? Its real good, there is 23-24 episodes, has its own songs, made by BlazingAzureCrow. its quality is good, yet I do not see people talking about it as much as others even through its near SAO abridged or DBZA levels of quality, not quite there maybe but, it still has good jokes and such.

Dragonexx
2017-06-25, 09:33 PM
If you're looking for other good abridged series. I'd recommend DC Abridged Universe (https://www.youtube.com/user/DCAbridgedUniverse), an abridged series of Young Justice and the DC animated movies if you're looking for another good abridged series. It has a rather awkward start, but quickly finds it's ground and proves to be an awesome take on the original.

DigoDragon
2017-06-25, 09:49 PM
I love watching DBZ Abridged, but I have a particular fondness for the movie specials they do. Dead Zone and Super Android 13 are probably the funniest ones in my opinion.

chainer1216
2017-06-26, 03:04 AM
I too enjoy DBZA and Team Four Star in general, their Nuzlockes and DBZ Xenoverse play throughs are the best, with runner ups being their Fallout 4 run and their Drunk Souls/borne streams.

And the Broly movie was my favorite.

Pendulous
2017-06-26, 05:32 AM
I even watch their Let's Play channel, so yeah. Oddly enough, Kirran and Grant, not big fans of DBZ Abridged.

Lord Raziere
2017-06-26, 05:43 AM
I even watch their Let's Play channel, so yeah. Oddly enough, Kirran and Grant, not big fans of DBZ Abridged.

I know right? one of the weirder things, but thats TFS for you. They're a bunch of good friends that don't care what you think and just do whats fun for them regardless.

despite this, Grant has lines in DBZA. he is the guy in the in-universe audience going "That makes sense!" and "Yea screw Goku!"

Present 2.0
2017-06-26, 09:20 AM
What does that mean? That they don't watch DBZA, that they actually think, their pals are not doing a good job with it or that they just don't like to watch this kind of Thing. And could I know, where they say that?

Rater202
2017-06-26, 09:30 AM
What does that mean? That they don't watch DBZA, that they actually think, their pals are not doing a good job with it or that they just don't like to watch this kind of Thing. And could I know, where they say that?

Grant is on record as having had a frosty relationship with certain members of TFS and as of having a strong dislike of DBZA.

The frosty relationships eventually subsided but as of a few streams he still doesn't like DBZA that much--people even asked him what it felt like to be part of something he hated when he first did the bit line.

Actually, Grant wasn't even a proper member of TFS at first--he was a mutual friend of Lani and Kirran who just started randomly sitting on while they were playing a game for the Let's Play Channel(I want to say Xenoverse) and by my understanding eventually they were just like "Hey, you wanna just join the team and do gaming stuff with us?" "Sure!"

He is currently Kirran's roommate.

Mikemical
2017-06-26, 09:58 AM
Having grown up watching both the original series and Z, I find the abridged series a fresh take on the story that keeps all the important stuff in, but doesn't discard the rest. The alternate characterization of some minor characters makes them more interesting than the punch-clock villains they were in the original series.

Also,
I am hilarious, and you will quote everything I say.

Lord Joeltion
2017-06-26, 10:09 AM
DBZ Abridged might seriously be the best piece of DB that ever came out since the original series ended. It came at a perfect time too: before the last two movies and way before Super was even in schedule. It helped a lot to revive the fandom, which certainly needed something to remove the bad taste other productions (official and amateur) had left.

Now, while I think it's a perfect piece of comedy and pays good homage to the original series; I still have some argues against some people who watched DBZA more than the original series/manga. Basically, I don't like the way some people forget the original characters and take their parody versions as if they were the original ones instead. Some fans now think Goku actually was the lousy parent he is in Abridged; or even he was actually that kind senseless moron. Or that Krillin is as coward and insecure as Abridged plays for laughs.

Now, I wouldn't mind these in an otherwise perfect world... but world is imperfect and we have DB Super now. So these people are the ones who justify the depiction of characters in Super. Yeah, basically I blame T4S for getting people into liking Super :smallannoyed:

But seriously, I hate when people just can't get what part of Abridged is parody and what is not. T4S is very close to source material, but it still takes plenty liberties even with the main cast.

I was going to suggest Little Kuribo's other works, but I would specifically recommend Yugioh Season Zero. Its very different in tone than YGH Abridged (just like the actual "Season Zero") so you can watch it as a completely unrelated series. Not only shows completely different dynamics, but for some reason I can't quite explain, I find it superb.

Dragonus45
2017-06-26, 11:28 AM
I know right? one of the weirder things, but thats TFS for you. They're a bunch of good friends that don't care what you think and just do whats fun for them regardless.

despite this, Grant has lines in DBZA. he is the guy in the in-universe audience going "That makes sense!" and "Yea screw Goku!"

He is going to be the announcer in the tournament for the Buu arc and possibly others.

DigoDragon
2017-06-26, 12:20 PM
Also,
I am hilarious, and you will quote everything I say.

Yes. "Hilariously derailing one-liner."

King Kai is also great.
"I'm King Kai. You now know the Kai-o-ken and the Spirit Bomb. [beep] off, shut up Bojack."

HolyDraconus
2017-06-26, 12:27 PM
I think what really sets them apart from other abridgers is the fact that their jokes and characterizations is being recognized by the source to such a degree that some of it is being implemented in the new series of Super. A great example of that is Goku.

Rater202
2017-06-26, 12:31 PM
I think what really sets them apart from other abridgers is the fact that their jokes and characterizations is being recognized by the source to such a degree that some of it is being implemented in the new series of Super. A great example of that is Goku.

Goku is being depicted the way he's always been depicted in Super. Super is just focusing a touch more on his flaws than the original series is.

Though if you want TFS being acknowledged, there's this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS-HiOzcjJg)scene from the uncut version of the Kai Dub

Prime32
2017-06-26, 12:51 PM
In the manga, Goku wasn't really a hero so much as a big kid who loves fights and happens to save the world in the process. The anime toned this down, and the anime dub toned it down further.

E.g. in the anime dub (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZXeetR-ukE), Goku asked Krillin to spare Vegeta's life because he sensed the potential for good in him and believed that everyone deserved a second chance.

In the manga (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmW4dB7BaBg) Goku just wanted to fight Vegeta again - in fact he explicitly said that there was no potential for good in Vegeta, and that his request was entirely selfish. Ironically, because Vegeta didn't hear the conversation, he assumed that Goku was doing it for the same reason as the dub and this lead him to genuinely change his ways.

leoryff
2017-06-26, 01:09 PM
Speaking of the TFS crew, does anyone watch MasakoX's channel? His "What If" scenarios are a treat. I especially like his "What if Kid Goku went super saiyan" series.

DigoDragon
2017-06-26, 01:14 PM

I think it's the quality they put into the series. The writing, editing, and VA work is really professional compared to the other Abridged shows that I've watched.

Jayngfet
2017-06-26, 01:34 PM
In the manga, Goku wasn't really a hero so much as a big kid who loves fights and happens to save the world in the process. The anime toned this down, and the anime dub toned it down further.

E.g. in the anime dub (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZXeetR-ukE), Goku asked Krillin to spare Vegeta's life because he sensed the potential for good in him and believed that everyone deserved a second chance.

In the manga (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmW4dB7BaBg) Goku just wanted to fight Vegeta again - in fact he explicitly said that there was no potential for good in Vegeta, and that his request was entirely selfish. Ironically, because Vegeta didn't hear the conversation, he assumed that Goku was doing it for the same reason as the dub and this lead him to genuinely change his ways.

That's not even the worst thing Goku did. When Majin Vegeta killed about 200 people and screwed the whole thing up Goku was going to fight him the same regular way anyway. Not only that but when Supreme Kai tried to intervene Goku threatened to kill him on the spot.

That moment is key enough to still exist in Z, but both versions of the anime toned it down by having Goku apologise and give an excuse to keep him in the good guy. In the manga, Goku doesn't say anything, his expression doesn't change, and it's abundantly clear he doesn't actually care about silly things like "civilian casualties" and "the fate of the universe". You interrupt his fight, he'll kill you to keep it going. That's why Goku screwing up the way he did at the Cell Games happened. He threw Gohan in there because he assumed his son was the same way when he absolutley was not. That's why Gohan never actually fills his potential and surpasses his father: he has better things to do with his time than ghost on his family for years on end. Trunks and Goten are the same way: They do it when they need to or when it's fun, but once puberty hits they'd rather spend money and chase girls.

Hell, people overlook the fact that Vegeta never actually changed his ways after that fight during Z. He killed an entire village on Namek for no real reason and they didn't get to come back via dragon balls. His entire thing about becoming a Super Saiyan was that his heart is pure evil and that's as good as regular pure. During the Buu Saga one of the covers was just Vegeta from the Saiyan Saga to show that no, Vegeta didn't develop that much. Piccolo even confirmed that when Vegeta dies, he goes to hell. Him being a nice dad and cool guy while still having Muh Pride is all Super.

Present 2.0
2017-06-26, 02:11 PM
Piccolo even confirmed that when Vegeta dies, he goes to hell.

And he decided to sacrifice himself anyway, so he developed a little bit. Just not enough to not go to hell.

Or has he also sacrificed himself for a different reason in the manga?

Lord Joeltion
2017-06-26, 02:18 PM

Funny enough, that's yet another case of the English DUB subverting the manga, not the anime itself. The way it happens in the Latin American dub is exactly how it goes in the manga (because the LA dub was actually very close to japanese dub). It still doesn't make Goku a selfish prick (people now support that silly idea bc of Super and T4S). It was clearly implied (both in manga and the original dub) that Goku wanted a second fight and was confident enough to win. Selfish? Probalby. Prick? Not so much.

Btw, I really don't know where you got the idea of Vegeta thinking why Goku spared him; he never recalled the event, other than they still had a postponed match throughout the series. He insisted Goku was too soft to finish his enemies, but never hinted anything about that time. Anyway, I agree on you Goku isn't the typical Western Superhero, but that's also why a lot of Western people don't get Goku's motivations so much.

I think it's the quality they put into the series. The writing, editing, and VA work is really professional compared to the other Abridged shows that I've watched.
Also the amount of work they put into their channel. They didn't get an audience overnight and kept about the same for a long time, like happens with most fanworks. They slowly managed to grow, and that also requires a lot of specific work (and has little to do with what a good artist you are). People may argue "going massive" ruins a channel (specially YT audiences think like that) but it still requires a ton of work and personal effort. They both succeeded in the artistic and the "business" aspect, IMHO.

That's not even the worst thing Goku did. When Majin Vegeta killed about 200 people and screwed the whole thing up Goku was going to fight him the same regular way anyway. Not only that but when Supreme Kai tried to intervene Goku threatened to kill him on the spot.
[snip]
That's why Goku screwing up the way he did at the Cell Games happened. He threw Gohan in there because he assumed his son was the same way when he absolutley was not.
[snip]

Again, a case where the original DUB and manga go in the same direction. It's English dub that tries to tone it down; but since I never watched in English, I really can't speak how much toned down it was.

Anyway, it's obvious why Goku did what he did. The Supreme was an idiot who tried to argue with a guy who clearly had no problem blowing the whole Earth just to fight with Goku. People forget one of Goku's abilities is sensing Ki to the point he can almost read minds and intentions. Supreme Kai lacked said ability AND he also didn't know what Vegeta was capable of. And yet, for all his perceptiveness, Goku is still very oblivious to people. He really can't think of anything but training, eating and fighting because he never knew a different way of life. Even the "marriage is a food" joke is more a case of being a Tarzan than being a complete moron. It's no wonder he doesn't understand how Gohan works. The longest time period they spent together was when Gohan still didn't go to school. Only Piccolo got the chance to watch that side of Gohan. I think it's moslty natural and very close to how would happen in RL, say a father who was absent cus reasons (travel, war, fell off a cliff, lost in a island, went to Vegas...) and meets him again when he is in his Emo period (11-13) :smalltongue:

Hell, people overlook the fact that Vegeta never actually changed his ways after that fight during Z. He killed an entire village on Namek for no real reason and they didn't get to come back via dragon balls. His entire thing about becoming a Super Saiyan was that his heart is pure evil and that's as good as regular pure. During the Buu Saga one of the covers was just Vegeta from the Saiyan Saga to show that no, Vegeta didn't develop that much. Piccolo even confirmed that when Vegeta dies, he goes to hell. Him being a nice dad and cool guy while still having Muh Pride is all Super.
Vegeta never changed. His breaking point was basically sacrificing himself for the Earth vs Buu. And that was arguably a desperate move. That's why Piccollo told him it wasn't enough for redemption. A desperate last second "good" deed would clean all the sins of his past. That also goes along with Japanese view on morals. And the horrible contradiction Vegeta is in Super I blame it most to fanservice. Fangirls will always die to see their "badboys" changing diapers and doing hubby things. :smallyuk:

Wow, I see I'm a nerd of DB. No wonder I can't stand Super :smallsigh:

Rater202
2017-06-26, 02:19 PM
Vegeta was brought back to life when Dende wished to bring back all of the good people.

Ergo, either Dende or Porunga considers Vegeta good people.

Considering Dende's relationship with Vegeta in the Namek Saga, this speaks volumes.

Also, Vegeta's characterization in Super is a direct result of his development in the Buu Saga.

Edit: the hell auto correct?

Prime32
2017-06-26, 02:19 PM

Yeah, for most of the series Vegeta's "redemption" was really just a slump - with both Goku and Frieza gone he had nothing left to do with his life. Though he does genuinely change after his last stand against Buu (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7C0R3DdOfk) (the scene where he asks if he will go to Hell) and his epiphany (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8ef9Bj_0Ig) shortly afterwards. This came right at the end of the series, so there wasn't a lot of room to see its impact on his character, but Super follows logically on from that.

Jayngfet
2017-06-26, 02:25 PM
Yeah, because Super follows like a week after Buu. The whole point of the first couple of episodes is Vegeta making good on a conversation he had with Trunks what's implied to be a little bit ago, but was a hundred plus episodes before the finale of Z.

Lord Joeltion
2017-06-26, 02:26 PM
Vegeta was brought back to life when Dende wished to bring back all of the good people.

Ergo, either Dende or Porunga considers Vegeta good people.

Considering Dende's relationship with Vegeta in the Namek Saga, this speaks volumes.

Also, Vegeta's characterization in Super is a direct result of his development in the Buu Saga.

Edit: the hell auto correct?
Wrong. Dende's wish was to resurrect everyone killed by Frieza and his men. Vegeta was killed by Frieza, that's why he came back. :smalltongue:

EDIT: and arguably, that's why Guru came back for a brief time. Looks like Frieza was somehow shortening his lifespan... by some minutes :smallconfused:

Present 2.0
2017-06-26, 02:34 PM
Wrong. He was talking about Dendes Wish at the End of the Buu Saga to resurrect enough People for the Genkidama.

Rater202
2017-06-26, 02:52 PM
Wrong. Dende's wish was to resurrect everyone killed by Frieza and his men. Vegeta was killed by Frieza, that's why he came back. :smalltongue:

EDIT: and arguably, that's why Guru came back for a brief time. Looks like Frieza was somehow shortening his lifespan... by some minutes :smallconfused:

End of the Buu Saga. Dende went back to Namek to use the Namekian Dragon balls to restore the Earth and bring back all of the good people who had been killed since then. Vegeta was brought back to life.

Ergo: Either Buu Saga Dende considers Vegeta good, or Porounga considers Vegeta good.

Mikemical
2017-06-26, 03:08 PM

Sword Art Online by SWEntertainment is not only a very good show, but it's even better than the source material. Abridge on Titan by Reality Punch is good too, covers most of the important things in the story and is still one of the few parodies that hasn't been taken down. A Slap on Titan is also pretty good, but less of an abridged series and more of a full lenght gag dub.

Emperor Demonking
2017-06-26, 03:21 PM
Would the recommenders of SAOA recommend it even if one hasn't seen SOA?

Lethologica
2017-06-26, 03:40 PM
Yes. It's basically Just Better than the original.

Pendulous
2017-06-26, 04:00 PM

TeamFourStar, LittleKuriboh, and Elite3 are all friends and work together. If you haven't watched Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged or Pokemon 'Bridged, you should.

After that, the defunct "Friendship is Witchcraft" and TeamFourStar's Hellsing Abridged are the only other two I follow(ed)

Rysto
2017-06-26, 04:01 PM

Seconded. There are some jokes that you won't get if you haven't seen SAO, but SAO Abridged is about way more than just mocking SAO.

thorgrim29
2017-06-26, 04:06 PM
I also like A Slap on Titan a lot, but it updates just this side of never.

Dragonexx
2017-06-26, 04:20 PM
Again, recommend DC Abridged Universe. It's fully on youtube and is an abridge of young justice and various DC animated movies, making them into a shared universe.

Mikemical
2017-06-26, 05:22 PM

Seconded. There are some jokes that you won't get if you haven't seen SAO, but SAO Abridged is about way more than just mocking SAO.

Thirded. I didn't have to sit through SAO to understand the plot of the series. The music and pacing was top-notch, and based on some reviewers, did everything right where SAO just plain old failed or didn't care.

During the Final Boss Battle of SAO Season 1, the Abridged version used the opening theme during the battle to hype it up, whereas the original did not and didn't even use a song that felt Final Boss Battle-ish.
It's a classic shonen anime trope that when there is a dramatic fight between the protag and the big bad that the opening song(when it isn't silly like some of Gintama's OPs) plays when the hero starts to gain the upper hand.

Dienekes
2017-06-26, 06:07 PM

I have never seen a single episode of SAO nor do I ever intend to.

SAOA is still one of the best series I've seen. Not every episode is a hit (the Christmas episode has kind of a lame framing device and some cuts I guess make more sense if you knew the show, but I can't confirm that). But overall it's just great.

Lord Joeltion
2017-06-26, 08:37 PM
End of the Buu Saga. Dende went back to Namek to use the Namekian Dragon balls to restore the Earth and bring back all of the good people who had been killed since then. Vegeta was brought back to life.

Ergo: Either Buu Saga Dende considers Vegeta good, or Porounga considers Vegeta good.
My bad. I got tangled in so many discussions about similar topics I sometimes forget how to properly read :smalltongue:

Anyway, yeah, I take it back. IMHO Vegeta is (or should be) considered "good" in the absolute meaning, taking into account the Dragons are quasi-omniscient beings. In any case, it's the Word of Author giving a clear statement.

DB aside, does DC Abridged have good voice actors? I wouldn't like them if the bunch of them suck... so to speak. I'm not asking Warner level of dub, just not suck in general

KillianHawkeye
2017-06-27, 10:28 PM
As a life-long Dragon Ball nerd, I gotta profess my love for DBZA. I've watched and re-watched all the episodes several times! It's pretty much my favorite thing on YouTube. You can really tell it's a labor of love for the guys at TFS, and that's why it's so damn good.

Re: the side conversation about Vegeta....

Yeah, he doesn't really even begin to redeem himself until the end of the Buu Saga, although I'd probably give him a Neutral alignment after the end of the Cell Games (his backslide into Majin villainy notwithstanding). He doesn't really care about Trunks until Cell kills him. Still, it makes sense for Dende to consider him a good guy by that point, because despite everything he had still been nothing but an ally for a long time (even if it was more out of necessity than anything).

As for him being a better husband and father in DB Super, I'm pretty sure the Battle of Gods story arc is supposed to be around two years after the defeat of Majin Buu. I'd say that's enough time for a believable turn around.

Anteros
2017-06-28, 02:46 AM
I think what makes DBZ Abridged so good compared to the others is that they actually abridge the series. You could actually watch only abridged and have at least a decent idea of the plot without ever seeing DBZ.

On the other hand, series like Bleach abridged, Naruto, etc are all very funny at times...but it's really just random jokes while the plot happens in the background. Often the characters in these shows aren't even anything like they are in the real shows. Vegeta, Goku, Gohan etc are all recognizably themselves (despite having their traits exaggerated for laughs). This is just not true for a lot of abridged series.

DBZ abridged is like watching a silly version of the actual show. Most other abridged series are a completely different show just borrowing from the source material for jokes.

Rodin
2017-06-28, 04:15 AM
I think what makes DBZ Abridged so good compared to the others is that they actually abridge the series. You could actually watch only abridged and have at least a decent idea of the plot without ever seeing DBZ.

On the other hand, series like Bleach abridged, Naruto, etc are all very funny at times...but it's really just random jokes while the plot happens in the background. Often the characters in these shows aren't even anything like they are in the real shows. Vegeta, Goku, Gohan etc are all recognizably themselves (despite having their traits exaggerated for laughs). This is just not true for a lot of abridged series.

DBZ abridged is like watching a silly version of the actual show. Most other abridged series are a completely different show just borrowing from the source material for jokes.

It also helps that classic DBZ needed abridging a lot more than other shows. Even disregarding filler (like pretty much everything Bulma does on Namek), the actual fight scenes often drag on for long periods of time.

A several hour long video of Gohan's fight with Cell showed up in my Youtube feed at one point, and I started watching it because it was the Funimation dub with the Bruce Falconer music so I got the full nostalgia effect. Even then, I found myself fast-forwarding periodically because the pace of the fight is just glacial.

The fights in Abridged are often just plain better. The sped up animation makes blows more visceral, and removing all the standing around powering up keeps the pace.

lord_khaine
2017-06-28, 05:00 AM
Would say that the DBZA serie has to many funny moments to pick one out in particular, but among many candidates then i do love Picollo's inner monolog.

Also i would like to support the recomendation of SAOA. I had not seen the original either, but it had me laughting repeatedly. And it also contain some of the best character development in anime history.

DigoDragon
2017-06-28, 07:49 AM
Would say that the DBZA serie has to many funny moments to pick one out in particular, but among many candidates then i do love Picollo's inner monolog.

It gets even better when he fuses with Nail and has arguments with "himself". :D

Kato
2017-06-28, 05:38 PM
I think Picollo is my favorite bit of the show, followed by Vegeta... Picollo might not be entirely straight but he's mainly the voice of reason in an ocean of madness. And Vegeta... well, he's just fun.

So, I had a watch at SAO and I agree, it's pretty high quality. I might have liked a few things done differently but overall it works very well. (Though, did the last episode need to be that long? You know you can cut these into parts, right?)
Started watching DC Abridged now and while it's not as funny, it's still very well done. Thanks for the suggestions.

Pendulous
2017-06-28, 06:48 PM

A good abridged show takes a character's traits and turns them up to eleven. DBZA does this extremely well. Also it's important to note, though, that they have a full crew of people working on it. Just a couple days ago I found a popular (million views each) Fairy Tail abridged, and couldn't recognize the characters because they were so different.

Rater202
2017-06-28, 06:59 PM
A good abridged show takes a character's traits and turns them up to eleven. DBZA does this extremely well. Also it's important to note, though, that they have a full crew of people working on it. Just a couple days ago I found a popular (million views each) Fairy Tail abridged, and couldn't recognize the characters because they were so different.

Seconded: The best 'briges are done out of love, not out of mockery. I'd link to the "Elements of Parody" speach from Comeradiere is Supernatural if I could find anysign of that anywhere on youtube.

One of my favorite anime got a one and done abriging a few months ago. The main character was completely unrecognizable, and the rival/secondary protagonist had literally the opposite personality than they did in canon.

Lord Raziere
2017-06-28, 07:31 PM
Seconded: The best 'briges are done out of love, not out of mockery. I'd link to the "Elements of Parody" speach from Comeradiere is Supernatural if I could find anysign of that anywhere on youtube.

Or Yugioh abridged's Joey speech to the judge.

and yeah, the best ones are done in a loving manner, for example, If The Emperor Had a Text to Speech Device (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyiDf91_bTEgnBN0jAvzNbqzrlMGID5WA) its basically WH40k Abridged with its own original plot that actually progresses the setting, and you can tell that the whole thing is done because the guys are fans of WH40k and know how to make the characters funny and absurd while still keeping them in character, because only a loving fan would know the details enough to make the right adjustments.

Forum Explorer
2017-06-28, 07:33 PM

I don't know if I agree with that. From what I here, SAOA changes the main characters personalities quite a bit. And that's a contender for best Abridged series I've seen.

Also Hellsing Abridged changes Alucard quite a bit too.

Rater202
2017-06-28, 07:35 PM

Not really. It just kind of plays up his flaws for black-comedy and adds some perversion for good measure.

Watch his mind-speech o Seras in the episode they released on New Years. In one sentence TFS summed up canon Alucard's entire character perfectly.

Forum Explorer
2017-06-28, 07:43 PM
Not really. It just kind of plays up his flaws for black-comedy and adds some perversion for good measure.

Watch his mind-speech o Seras in the episode they released on New Years. In one sentence TFS summed up canon Alucard's entire character perfectly.

He was pretty loyal and obedient in the manga. I mean, carnage was a given for whatever you sent him to do, but he wouldn't sit back and watch netflix when he was ordered to fend off invaders. Or require a bribe to not cause problems, and so on and so forth.

Rater202
2017-06-28, 08:02 PM
He was pretty loyal and obedient in the manga. I mean, carnage was a given for whatever you sent him to do, but he wouldn't sit back and watch netflix when he was ordered to fend off invaders. Or require a bribe to not cause problems, and so on and so forth.

Nothing about the seal on Alucard actually compelled him to serve the Helsing family(such ideas being fanon.) It's just a power limiter.

He literally only served as the Hellsing organization's attack dog because he wanted to.

The fact that he's lazy and tends to hold out for bribes before doing what he's told is more of an exaggeration of his "I'm doing this basically so I can find someone who can kill me becuase I want to die and there's nothing else to do" trait and then playing said exageration for comedy.

Anteros
2017-06-28, 08:35 PM
I don't know if I agree with that. From what I here, SAOA changes the main characters personalities quite a bit. And that's a contender for best Abridged series I've seen.

I would argue that SAO abridged is mostly popular with people who don't like the original show anyway. It's not like most of those characters actually had personalities to play up anyway. The abridge team had to create some new personality traits just so there would be some at all.

Forum Explorer
2017-06-28, 08:52 PM
Nothing about the seal on Alucard actually compelled him to serve the Helsing family(such ideas being fanon.) It's just a power limiter.

He literally only served as the Hellsing organization's attack dog because he wanted to.

The fact that he's lazy and tends to hold out for bribes before doing what he's told is more of an exaggeration of his "I'm doing this basically so I can find someone who can kill me becuase I want to die and there's nothing else to do" trait and then playing said exageration for comedy.

Loyalty doesn't need to be magically compelled to exist. I agree he served because he wanted to, but that's more because he was impressed with Integra than anything else.

So I'd say the whole 'I need bribes, need to be tricked to go places, and am constantly disobedient and disrespectful' is a pretty big change.

@^ True, but the point still stands.

Present 2.0
2017-06-30, 11:32 AM
I wonder how they'll pull of the scene, where Piccolo berates Goku. At the end, Goku is actually shaking, seems to seriously regret his decision and wants a Senzu Bean to help Gohan. I am not sure, if this would be IC for this Goku.

Silfir
2017-06-30, 12:10 PM
I'm sure there are plenty of possibilities. Food-related ones for a start.

Lord Raziere
2017-06-30, 12:38 PM
I wonder how they'll pull of the scene, where Piccolo berates Goku. At the end, Goku is actually shaking, seems to seriously regret his decision and wants a Senzu Bean to help Gohan. I am not sure, if this would be IC for this Goku.

or he simply realizes that Cell is actually IS the best challenge he has ever gotten to this point and why is he allowing someone else to beat him?

then he teleports himself and Cell to the Other World thinking they can fighting for all eternity in the Afterlife when Cell tries to blow himself up.

Dragonus45
2017-06-30, 12:56 PM

SAO Abridged has the problem of working from a show so astoundingly bad and with characters so flat that the act of giving most of that cast a personality wound up "changing" them. Honestly SAOA is my top abridges series mainly because its the only one I can think of that actually improves in its partent series.

Also Hellsing Abridged just approaches Alucard's eternal ennui from a perspective of an absolute hedonist desperately fighting boredom and loneliness as opposed to the cannon version who fights his loneliness and depression by being taciturn and reserved. The trappings change but the key aspects of his character stay the same.

Loyalty doesn't need to be magically compelled to exist. I agree he served because he wanted to, but that's more because he was impressed with Integra than anything else.

He was Impressed with Inegra, but it was Abraham and his crew that put the almost literal fear of god into Alucard and bound him. He doesn't seem to be the biggest fan of her father in the prequel stuff but he still obeys him.

Vinyadan
2017-06-30, 12:59 PM
I'm sure there are plenty of possibilities. Food-related ones for a start.

BTW, you know that scene in which they give pork soup to Oolong? As it turns out, it's a reference to an episode in the original Dragonball manga in which kid Goku asks Oolong if he wants to eat some pork (he refuses).

Dragonlancer83
2017-07-05, 12:29 AM
All these squares make a circle

Present 2.0
2017-07-11, 10:28 AM
Do you think, they'll tease Goku Black at the End of the Cell Sage, when Trunks is back in the Future and defeats 17, 18 and Cell.

Trunks: Well, I can finally have some Peace here.
Gokus Voice in a sinister Tone: Yes, soon it will be very peaceful here.
Trunks(shocked): What are you doing here?

Roll Credits.

... Okay that couldn't go with the original Timeline.

Silverraptor
2017-07-11, 06:10 PM
After the first time DBZ Abridged was copyright taken down, the moment it went up, I started downloading all the episodes to save on my external harddrive, which I use to show to friends and such who haven't seen Abridged. I absolutely love this series, and watching it actually made me go back and watch the actual show again, which I hadn't had the inkling to do since I was a kid. As for my favorite line that had me bust a gut while laugh that forced me to pause the episode the first time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCtJlfgUpK4

chainer1216
2017-07-11, 08:20 PM
They have a website where they host all their stuff ya know, there are even a couple short skits on there that arent on youtube, well not until they are pirated and put on youtube by third parties.

Silverraptor
2017-07-11, 10:21 PM
They have a website where they host all their stuff ya know, there are even a couple short skits on there that arent on youtube, well not until they are pirated and put on youtube by third parties.

I know. But now I have access to the episodes even on days where internet decides to not be a thing.:smalltongue:

Psyren
2017-07-13, 05:12 PM
DBZA and YGOTAS are my bread and butter. SAOA suffers because I hate the source material enough that even lampooning it just serves to remind me of it, but I do watch that and enjoy it somewhat.

I enjoyed Megami33's Sailor Moon Abridged back in the day despite (or perhaps because of) the low production values.

For One Piece "abridged" I read Grand Line 3.5.