PDA

View Full Version : Corrupted vampire

Yklikt
2017-06-25, 05:00 AM
Will he get the constitution score again

LTwerewolf
2017-06-25, 05:10 AM
Negative. Con - doesn't get con from having mods from other race things.

Allanimal
2017-06-25, 05:11 AM
Will he get the constitution score again

The half-fiend template changes type to outsider, so yes, it would have a CON score.

However:

"Half-fiend" is an inherited template that can be added to any living, corporeal creature with an Intelligence score of 4 or more and nongood alignment (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

Undead Type
Undead are once-living creatures animated by spiritual or supernatural forces.

Undead are not living creatures, therefore the half-fiend template cannot be applied.

Edit: half-fiend is inherited, while vampire is acquired. So if the base creature had the half-fiend template, then became a vampire, it would work. But because it is undead, still no CON score.

Except...

"Vampire" is an acquired template that can be added to any humanoid or monstrous humanoid creature (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

SInce a half-fiend is an outsider, you can't vampire that...

LTwerewolf
2017-06-25, 05:16 AM
Order of operations first. You have to be born half-fiend. You become a vampire. Therefore half-fiend is added first.

Yklikt
2017-06-25, 05:20 AM
Sorry. Use other template corrupted as an example it not need living first

Allanimal
2017-06-25, 05:20 AM
Order of operations first. You have to be born half-fiend. You become a vampire. Therefore half-fiend is added first.

Yep, see my edit.
Still won't work, since half-fiend is an outsider, and vampire template cannot be applied to outsiders.

Yklikt
2017-06-25, 05:21 AM
I changed it, realized a better example

Allanimal
2017-06-25, 05:47 AM
I changed it, realized a better example

I'm not familiar with that template. What's the source?

Does it change the creature's type? If not, the vampire stays undead and has no CON score.
If so, if the new creature type has a con score, then it would too.
What that con score is, I don't really know...

Yklikt
2017-06-25, 05:53 AM
I'm not familiar with that template. What's the source?

Does it change the creature's type? If not, the vampire stays undead and has no CON score.
If so, if the new creature type has a con score, then it would too.
What that con score is, I don't really know...

From book of vile darkness

ShurikVch
2017-06-25, 06:11 AM
Order of operations first. You have to be born half-fiend. You become a vampire. Therefore half-fiend is added first.Human Heritage feat changes type to Humanoid (human), which make our Vampire valid target to Nar Fiendbond

Will he get the constitution score againNo - unless the Vampire in question already have a valid Con score.
Vampires with Con:
Fire Vampire
Vampire Bat
Vampire Cactus
Vampire Rose Bush
Vampiric Ixitxachitl
Star Vampire

Sorry. Use other template corrupted as an example it not need living firstStill no. Despite changing type to Aberration, Vampire will keep "Con -" (see Corrupted Flesh Golem (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eo/20040904a) for example)

Inevitability
2017-06-25, 06:12 AM
I'd like to point out that having type change be accompanied by a total loss of all of the previous type's traits causes a few issues.

Take a tibbit wizard who becomes a necropolitian. It's still the same soul in the same body, the creature's personality, alignment or memories aren't warped, it's the same creature for all intents and purposes...

Except it has suddenly forgotten how to use spears, which it previously could by virtue of being a monstrous humanoid.

Having the creature keep the old traits (which doesn't quite explicitly violate RAW) while also getting the new is perhaps best. In such a case, a vampire would still not have a constitution score.

Allanimal
2017-06-25, 06:15 AM
From book of vile darkness

The BoVD description doesn't say whether the "Corrupted" template is Acquired or Inherited.
So, assuming that it is acquired and can thus be applied to a Vampire, the type changes to aberration, who do have CON scores.
however, it does say,
A corrupted creature uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.
Since the Vampire (whatever base creature) has no CON, it doesn't.

Ninjaed.... while unsuccessfully looking for BoVD errata...

DrMotives
2017-06-25, 06:55 AM
Human Heritage feat changes type to Humanoid (human), which make our Vampire valid target to Nar Fiendbond

Except you can't use Human Heritage to revert an undead to living, even though that's a popular cheese around here. Human Heritage is a 1st level only feat; and per the create spawn ability, no vampire has less than 5 levels at the time of acquiring the template.

hamishspence
2017-06-25, 07:08 AM
That's where the Dark Chaos Shuffle (using the spells Advance the Dark Chaos and Shun the Dark Chaos to swap out feats) comes in.

ShurikVch
2017-06-25, 07:50 AM
Except you can't use Human Heritage to revert an undead to living, even though that's a popular cheese around here. Human Heritage is a 1st level only feat; and per the create spawn ability, no vampire has less than 5 levels at the time of acquiring the template.Nanomachines, Backstory, son!
Our Vampire found and ate a Flesh of Orcus as a kid - before he got any class levels or feats - and stayed teenager forever

Inevitability
2017-06-25, 08:51 AM
Except you can't use Human Heritage to revert an undead to living, even though that's a popular cheese around here. Human Heritage is a 1st level only feat; and per the create spawn ability, no vampire has less than 5 levels at the time of acquiring the template.

Actually, those created by a Vampire Lord (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20021018a) are vampires regardless of prior HD.

Tiri
2017-06-25, 11:19 AM
Now that you mention Vampire Lord, I wonder: If a vampire that was subjected to this process of bringing it back to life (sort of) by corrupting it then had the Vampire Lord template applied to it, would it go back to being undead?

There is a piece of text in the template that states 'As undead creatures, vampire lords have no Constitution scores', but clearly that is based on the assumption that the vampire becoming a vampire lord is already undead, so I'm not sure.