PDA

View Full Version : (IC) The Return of Magic

Pages : [1] 2

Emperor Demonking
2017-06-25, 06:57 AM
Magic never left. Not completely. But t wasn't as it had been. Or as it will be. When it will remake even the rules of the heavens and hells.

---

The sun had only recently set and Sal's real work about to begin. Jin - a stocky human of fifty years who has been confused for a dwarf before - appeared behind Sal. He was Sal's superior and growled in his smoky voice, "Hi, Sal. Everything going well for you? We've got some bad news, that you'll help us with. A ship's ben coming in at an unoffical port with unofficial workers. Advse them on a more sensible course, will ya?"

---

Goldbrook was a central area of Manykeep and a very old one too with its lack of 'keep' suffix, the dominion being far older than the 'Deepwoods' who rule it. Rowan Deepwood being the yourngheir.

Rowan and hs uncle Torqual were standing where they and Sir Aaron had been attacked before. For, unlike with the location of the attack in the castle, the ground here was still conductive to tracking the assassin and from where he had come.

---

The sky was a bright clear blue, the moon as full as it can ever be. Gyrtu Andusk was out in the open traveling to the shore so that he could join a ship so that he could better spread the faith of the dragons. He was looking up at the moon when he saw a different sort of silver. Dragons had not been seen for over one hundred years, but a silver dragon flying in a direction off his path is what Gyrtu saw.

---

The arch into Portskeep was grand but welcoming. The large road was full of well-encumbered wagons driven by merchant sitting high up. When one knows where one is going and desires to get there in good speed the road is perfectly sensible to take. Those who know Portskeep would certainly take a dfferent route if on foot. The young gnome Zeph did not know Portskeep. Keeping to the path keeping clear of the hasty wagons, Zeph was accosted. "Hello my good gnome! My I offer you one of thse silver watches for a very low price. The finest craftmanship, they had to dodge many a kobld blockade to be bought here. To you. A mere nine silver pieces."

danielxcutter
2017-06-25, 07:04 AM
Rowan started scanning the ground, searching for tracks.

"Have you found anything, uncle?" the young ranger asked.

Centaurion
2017-06-25, 07:44 AM
Zeph

My good gnome? Zeph could not remember to ever have been called this way, and he was not sure how to take it. But the merchant seemed friendly and good-willed. Curiously, he looked at the products, one hand on the halter of the mule, clinging to the cord as if it was his only connection to a safer world. A raven sits on the packs on the mule's back and also looks onto the stuff of the merchant.

"What does it do?" Zeph asks curiously.

PallentisLunam
2017-06-25, 11:03 AM
Male NE Human Rogue, Level 1, Init 2, HP 6/6, Speed 30'
AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13, Fort 0, Ref 4, Will 1, Base Attack Bonus 0
Heavy Mace +3 (1d8,+3 x2)
Dagger (5) +3 (Melee) +2 (Thrown) (1d4+3, 19-20/x2) Range Inc. 20 ft.
Sap +3 (1d6+3, x2, Nonlethal)
Studded Leather Armor (+3 Armor, +2 Dex)
Abilities Str 16, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 9
Conditions: None
Sheet: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1245931

"I'll get it done, boss" Sal grunts. Heading off to the bar, Sal spends a few hours chatting up his sources and gathering a few boys for extra muscle.

Gather Information Check: [roll0] Time spent [roll1]
Also willing to pass around a little gold if you deem in necessary to get things done.

Emperor Demonking
2017-06-25, 12:40 PM
"There are several tracks. These are our both coming and going. Otherwise I cannot tell the assassin's from Sir Arron's. They only ever follow one path. Either their lair is in the forest or closer to the castle."

The younger ranger had learnt all of tht from his own perusing. However, he realised that the tracks leading from the castle were the knight's. The assassin had planted his ambush after coming through the forest. There were some broken branches where he had likely wanted a vantage to spot the three warriors.

---

"What does it do? What does it do? This is a priceless artefact from the lost vault of Hark, himself. It tells the time. It sees the waves. It navigates the stars. It charts the seas. If I were willing to sell it to you for." The freindly man eyes dart to a passing man with a similar mule to your own, only his is laden in wheat leaving a trail berhind from a holey sack. The feindly man would obvously not want to be rude and contuned speaking to Zeph, "You would be a getting a bargain. Yet I am offering it to you for a mere nine silvers. Hark rages. The dragons laugh."

---

"I know you will." Said Jin, which was pretty much all the encouragement Sal got. Whether there was something odd about Sal's demeanour or it was somethng else, his sources refused to speak. He did manage to gather some more muscle for this business.

When Sal got to the nickname's 'Smuggler's Nest' - Portskeep's official unoffcial port - with his three goons at the top of the cliff then they could look down and see that the unloading of the materials was already going in full flow.

PallentisLunam
2017-06-25, 01:48 PM

Sal wordlessly waves his boys behind some boxes and takes a minute to size up the situation, looking for any identifying devices on the cargo, the workers, or the ship. He also tries to spot anyone giving orders and to listen in on any conversations that might be of interest.

Absentmindedly, Sal fingers the edge of one of his blades.

Hide: [roll0]
Move Silently: [roll1]
Spot: [roll2]
Listen: [roll3]

Centaurion
2017-06-25, 03:35 PM
Zeph looks a bit insecure. "I.. I don't have that much. And I still need to find something to eat today so..." He slightly bows with respect, and before turning says "I should carry on."

danielxcutter
2017-06-25, 07:39 PM
"There are several tracks. These are our both coming and going. Otherwise I cannot tell the assassin's from Sir Arron's. They only ever follow one path. Either their lair is in the forest or closer to the castle."

The younger ranger had learnt all of tht from his own perusing. However, he realised that the tracks leading from the castle were the knight's. The assassin had planted his ambush after coming through the forest. There were some broken branches where he had likely wanted a vantage to spot the three warriors.

"The forest, I think... he must have gone up there to set up the attack, and there are traces left that point deeper in." said Rowan, pointing them out. "That must be his hiding place..."

He bit his lower lip. "Well, it used to be."

PeacefulOak
2017-06-26, 09:34 AM
Gyrtu Andusk

In the white moon shadows of the forest, the small kobolds silver edged scales seem almost to glow with the passion of his cause. He would show those fools of the temple, he WOULD spread the glory and the word of his Winged Lords across all lands. Almost as if in answer to his thoughts, the glory of a Silver God-Drake blesses his path, and he lets out a wild whoop of righteous joy!

<<Look down with your might and grace on your humble servant, oh Mighty One! Bless my journey and guide me on the path to your true glory!>> Filled with energy, Gyrtu scrambles onto the back of his mule, flapping his feet at its sides and jostling the lead rope to urge it on. <<Come, Winged Hope! Let us chase our destiny!>>

Together the mule Winged Hope and the kobold Gyrtu Andusk race (calmly walk, as mules will) after the Dragon.

Emperor Demonking
2017-06-26, 02:14 PM
Having gone off the path it was sensible for Gyrtu to allow the mule to find the path at its own pace. Going down the hill could be risky otherwise. Having gotten to a rare bit of fairly flat land of ten by ten in dimensions, one could forgive the mule for taking a break from its mental calculations.

However, it stood on the tail of a highland cat who leapt up and squealed in anger.

Roll Initiative.

Cat: 1d20+2

---

The half-Orc nodded at Rowan and seemed to see it after having it pointed out to him. "Remain here and search further to see if he may have left a clue or dropped something. I shall follow the tracks and come back for you once I've found it."

---

The friendly man nods to Zeph, "It sounds to me like you need some good luck. Then perhaps you will be able to afford one of these fine watches. I should warn you that you would have to receive some great luck for any to still be left.

"However, I can offer this dragon's charm that may find you good fortune." Said the friendly man as he fished out a concoction of fur, string and bone "Your need is such that I offer it for only nine copper."

---

It as fortunate for Sal that the crew below were not suspicious of his direction. However, that also kept him from seeing anything and hearing barely more, merely the occasional abstract order by a voice too faint to be judged for familiarity.

Emperor Demonking
2017-06-26, 02:15 PM
Cat's initiative: [roll0]

Emperor Demonking
2017-06-26, 02:20 PM
Cat's initiative: [roll0]

not same

Emperor Demonking
2017-06-26, 02:47 PM
Leaping up to scratch at the kobold, the cat swiped at the kobold trying to get at fleshy bits even pass the scales.

[roll0] (15 to deal 1 damage)

PeacefulOak
2017-06-26, 02:57 PM
Gyrtu Andusk

Screeching in pain, Gyrtu grabs his crossbow and dismounts on the far side of his mule from the cat. Carefully stepping back to get a clear shot, Gyrtu levels his crossbow and fires.

Dismount - Move Action (I don't think it provokes?)
5' Step (bonus because my move action didn't involve actual movement)
Attack with crossbow [roll0] for [roll1] Damage

Emperor Demonking
2017-06-26, 03:16 PM
The bolt wrecked the cat. It's heart flying with the bolt far into the distance. Just furred bones remaining.

Where the dragon went is still fully possible for the recently victorious kobold. However, taking his bearings he can now notice a camp fire at the bottom of the mountain just mildly off the straight line. It's too far to tell if there are creatures around it.

PallentisLunam
2017-06-26, 03:47 PM

Unable to complete any meaningful recognizance, Sal shrugs to himself. Just the way these things go some days. Motioning for his boys to spread out and stay hidden for the moment, Sal ties the frayed blue handkerchief that marks him as a member of the Waves around his upper arm. Then he steps out into the open tapping the flat of a blade against the palm of his hand. He pauses a beat to allow the crew to notice him before speaking up.

"You boys seem lost. This is Wave turf, and you haven't paid your respects."

danielxcutter
2017-06-26, 04:45 PM
Rowan shook his head.

"No, I'm going with you. Safety in numbers, you know."

And I'll be damned if I stay here doing nothing. I know you uncle; you just want to keep me safe... thanks, but no thanks.

PeacefulOak
2017-06-26, 05:07 PM
Gyrtu Andusk

Smiling at his epic victory, Gyrtu lets out a few excited yips as he dances in place. Taking the fallen corpse, it throws it up onto the back of Winged Hope and leaps up after it (or rather he struggles and pushes it into place and then scrambles up - twice, because he forgot his crossbow the first time). Reloading the crossbow, he guides Winged Hope back onto the path of the Dragon, keeping a watchful eye towards the fire. No knowing what sort of bandits might be found wandering the wilderness.

Emperor Demonking
2017-06-27, 03:46 AM
Walking down the cliff path tapping his sword against his palm, Sal gets the attention of the unloaders. He also recognises some of them: Crowns. Well-armoured Crowns. The leader of the Cold Iron Crowns - a cruel looking fellow of average build and height with a dark goatee - walked forward jauntily still tens of meters away from Sal, "Are you quite sure? There weren't any rats here when we arrived. Are you sure you wouldn't like us to kick you into the water and you can swim back to your nest?"

---

At the bottom of the valley, Gyrtu can better make out silhouettes at the camp. Its possible they could see him too, but if they do they make no sign of it. On this bottom path, there seems to be two ways that go in the direction of the dragon. He can set to going back up this second mount, but there is also a cave mouth nestled going in the same direction. It is unclear whether it would exit in the same direction, however.

---

Torqual looked at Rowan, "I guess you're right."

Following the tracks, they soon diverge from where your own tracks were. A little while after that he points out where the tracks of the assassin were joined - or rather unjoined since you're backtracking - by the tracks of others. "Shh" he whispers to his nephew as they go forward.

danielxcutter
2017-06-27, 03:51 AM
Rowan nodded wordlessly. Best to be safe rather than sorry.

He tread carefully, doing his best to make no sound.

Move Silently roll. I have 4 ranks in the skill and +2 from Dex, but studded leather has a -1 armor check penalty, so +5.

[roll0]

PeacefulOak
2017-06-27, 09:43 AM
Gyrtu Andusk

Casting a wary eye towards the campfire, Gyrtu considers his options. It occurs to him that spending ALL of his time learning the Way of the Dragons may have left him somewhat unprepared for a journey through the wilderness. Still, decisions must be made.

Having looked over the camp to the best of his ability, he turns to the mountain, looking to see if a clear and passable trail existed for him to follow. He also thought as hard as he could of the map he used to look over, envisioning the spread of the Way across all the lands.

[roll0] Spot Check - Camp
[roll1] Spot Check - Mountain
[roll2] Untrained survival?

Centaurion
2017-06-27, 10:06 AM
Zeph

The friendly man nods to Zeph, "It sounds to me like you need some good luck. Then perhaps you will be able to afford one of these fine watches. I should warn you that you would have to receive some great luck for any to still be left.

"However, I can offer this dragon's charm that may find you good fortune." Said the friendly man as he fished out a concoction of fur, string and bone "Your need is such that I offer it for only nine copper."

"A dragon's charm?" The look on his face makes clear that this sounded more like a joke to him. One eyebrow is raised and the raven releases a cackling sound, similar to laughter, but, after all, this is a bird not a person.

Emperor Demonking
2017-06-28, 01:23 AM
Rown and his uncle come to a place littered wth tents, with firewood sitting next to an extinguished pit, and although ths place is out of the way it is still shocking that it had not been seen before. The way that some of the tents have come down suggests that it has been abandoned.

---

With Zeph, the freindly man does not drop a beat with his freindliness as he speaks, "They are a novelty to you? Is that not why you have come to Portskeep to discover and indulge in the new?"

---

Gyrtkyu's look at the camp reveals nothing. It is too far nd perhaps the smoke obscures. Hwever, he remembers that the area he s in is somewhat of a peninsula; crossing this mountain will lead to the sea, and as far as he could see it would be no harder to get up that the one that he had just crossed.

danielxcutter
2017-06-28, 01:56 AM
Rowan silently cursed; they were too late.

Still, there would still be traces left. He scanned the area, using all of his knowledge to find anything that would point him to the next step.

Search: [roll0]

Spot: [roll1]

Survival: [roll2]

Centaurion
2017-06-28, 02:22 AM
Zeph reflects for a moment, remembering how he came here, and his thoughts inadvertently revisit the stormy night on the ship. The screams of his sister and parents, sometimes clear and loud than muffled by the remaining sounds. He bites his lip on order to regain his composure.

"Dear sir, I think I should leave now. To be honest, my funds are extremely low right now, and I don't I can afford anything you have to offer. Have a good day, sir. "

With this, he turns to leave.

Emperor Demonking
2017-06-28, 08:14 AM
The friendly man knows when his quest is doomed to failure and faded into the background, on the lookout for a more fruitful tourist.. Leaving Zeph on the side of the road alone.

---

The tracks suggest that despite the non-kept up tents you are only very little late. It is possible that the last one there had fled at your coming, or perhaps only a little earlier. In the collapsed tents are several clothes, foodstuffs, and generic traveling equipment and a lute. That is true for one of the upright tents, also. The remaining upright tent, however, appears to be empty.

Centaurion
2017-06-28, 08:32 AM
Zeph is standing there for a moment without orientation, lost. Then, a friendly "craaaw" takes his attention, and the bird which had sitten on the mule was hovering a few steps in front of it now. Zeph's smile shows only a slight trace of conviction when he follows the road, but he does so. Probably it is best to look for a cheap place to stay for the moment, and think of how to proceed.

PallentisLunam
2017-06-28, 10:16 AM

With a casual, almost lazy, flick of his wrist Sal sends his knife spinning through the air aiming for the boards at his opponents feet. Even before it lands Sal draws another pair of baldes. "Not so fast, my little princeling. You don't really think I came alone do you," he sneers trying to be tough and menacing

Knife Throw: Attack the square he's standing in (AC 5) [roll0] -2 At 21-40 ft; -4 At 41-60 ft.

Emperor Demonking
2017-06-28, 10:55 AM
The first inn that Zeph reached did not seem expensive - then again it was on the main road - 'The Leering Bard' from the outside has some peeling paint work but was generally in good repair. A man in common outfit exiting the building, allows a dark-painted room to be seen; not busy, but certainly not empty. It would likely be busier later.

---

The man raised an eyebrow at Sal as he lightly tugged at the blade firmly fixed in front of him. It wouldn't give so he left it rather than putting in the effort that would be required. "Then might I suggest you join your friends. You know what."

He takes a copper coin from a pocket and throws it towards Sal, "There. I have paid all the respect due. Go along now."

PallentisLunam
2017-06-28, 11:58 AM

"Ha, good one. The Waves aren't even two bit whores. Why don't you leave before your pretty clothes get all stained. We'll take care of your product."

PeacefulOak
2017-06-28, 03:35 PM
Gyrtu Andusk

Though both camp and cave offer interesting opportunities, Gyrtu knows that his duty is to follow the path of the Dragon. As he urges his glorious mount Winged Hope towards the mountainside, aiming for a path that will take him to the coastline. As he goes, he prays to his elemental lords to guide him, that he might grow in faith and experience all that they desire of him.

danielxcutter
2017-06-28, 07:05 PM
Rowan headed straight towards the upright tent.

Let's see... what do we have here?

Emperor Demonking
2017-06-29, 03:38 AM
Rowan finds it utterly empty.

---

The Cold Iron Crown captain begins to step forward to Sal, he motions towards his men and if they were still before begin to go back to work, "You would break something., Our cargo is too valuable for that. Why do you think we are doing it ourselves rather than paying you your pocket change. Run along. Or watch us if you must, but you are not fiddling with our cargo."

---

The track up the mountain is uneventful - perhaps the wild creatures had heard of your feat with the mountain cat - and Gyrtu reaches the top just as the sun begins to rise. Gyrtu can sea the blue of the ocean but no sign of where the dragon may have gone or went. Only a little bit below where Gyrtu is, sat upon his mount, is a small clean cottage smoke coming out of its chimney.

danielxcutter
2017-06-29, 03:50 AM
Rowan groaned. Looks like this one is a dead end.

PallentisLunam
2017-06-29, 12:43 PM

Sal stops to think for a brief moment, I'm not sure we could take him. And knowledge might be more valuable than blood. Plus we can just steal the damn cargo later when it's less carefully watched. Sheathing his knives Sal steps towards the Crown careful to keep his hands well visible and away from his weapons. "I think I will watch," Sal says. "Oh and boys, if he gets shifty, put a few holes in him for me."

Sal walks forward keeping out of arms reach and carefully watching both the leader and his cronies. He kicks the copper into the bay as he approaches.

PeacefulOak
2017-06-29, 06:57 PM
Gyrtu Andusk

The valiant kobold, having defeated yet another mountain, now faces the much greater challenge of an inhabited cabin. Pausing to carefully consider it, he slips gracefully (clambers down) from Winged Hope and makes certain that his club is firmly tucked into his belt, and his spear in its halter on his back. Hefting the crossbow (once again loaded and cocked), he steps carefully towards the cabin. He is on the lookout for anything dangerous as well as for windows through which he might peak.

[roll0] Spot

Emperor Demonking
2017-06-30, 03:26 AM
As Rowan exited the tent, he finds a camp without a Torqual.

---

The cold iron man had not expected the offer to be accepted. He went back to where he was, waggling his hips as he turned around. The men he had working for him continue moving crates of various sizes. Their form is awful.

---

Gyrtu sees nothing dangerous, although he does see a vegetable garden. The cottage has two curtained windows.

Centaurion
2017-06-30, 04:35 AM
The first inn that Zeph reached did not seem expensive - then again it was on the main road - 'The Leering Bard' from the outside has some peeling paint work but was generally in good repair. A man in common outfit exiting the building, allows a dark-painted room to be seen; not busy, but certainly not empty. It would likely be busier later.

Zeph

Probably it's best to simply check it out. He would likely find a cheaper place later, but for now, he most needs a place to stay and to look for a future perspective. Zeph looks out for a place to leave his mule, like a stable or a trough. Assuming he finds it, he unbinds the most valuable part of his luggage from the pack saddle, and enters the inn, moaning from the heavy burden.

Emperor Demonking
2017-06-30, 07:28 AM
Zeph finds his trough, in a little sub-alley adjoining the inn. It is smoky and there are many places where he can sit. This includes a few free barstools, where the ruddy-faced barkeep of flame-red stands as his eyes are fixed upon the gnome.

danielxcutter
2017-06-30, 08:45 AM
"Uncle?"

Rowan looked around carefully. Something wasn't right.

Spot: [roll0]

Search: [roll1]

PeacefulOak
2017-06-30, 09:10 AM
Gyrtu Andusk

Gyrtu makes his way forward, edging towards the door before giving it a quick rap and dancing back, crossbow at the ready.

Centaurion
2017-06-30, 09:33 AM
Zeph

Zeph finds his trough, in a little sub-alley adjoining the inn. It is smoky and there are many places where he can sit. This includes a few free barstools, where the ruddy-faced barkeep of flame-red stands as his eyes are fixed upon the gnome.

Said gnome puts down the luggage and then looks up to the red(-haired?) innkeeper.

"Hello good sir. I am looking for a place to sleep and put my stuff while I am out looking for a job."

Emperor Demonking
2017-07-01, 02:40 AM
Rowan sees that there are more tracks leading out of the camp, a broken bush at the point of exit.

---

The red moustachioed man speaks, "Yeah, we've got that. Four silver a day, five if you have a mount. What sort of job you looking for? Who know, I might know something. Buying a drink?"

---

The door opens, an old white-eyed kobold opens it. "Who is it?"

danielxcutter
2017-07-01, 08:49 AM
On his guard, Rowan drew his blade and slowly walked towards the bush.

PallentisLunam
2017-07-01, 09:45 AM

Sal chuckles derisively attempting to needle the Crown into giving something away. "Hope your cargo isn't fragile. And that you don't plan to pay for your men's healing bills."

PeacefulOak
2017-07-02, 12:02 AM
Gyrtu Andusk

Gyrtu looks at the elderly kobold, lifting his crossbow so that it is no longer aimed at the doorway and its occupant."I am Gyrtu Andusk, Eternal Flame and chief ceremonialist of the Dragonspine Temple. I journey on a divine quest granted me by the winged lords themselves: to spread the word and the Way of the Dragon that all might embrace true belief." Gyrtu pauses, thinking a moment. "Why do you live here, so far from everything?"

Emperor Demonking
2017-07-02, 06:56 AM
Rowan finds a sort of path. Where somebody has been trumbling through the undergrowth.

---

"Please. Make my day." Called the commander to Sal, not turning to face him. A two-mule drawn wagon comes dwn the cliff-path behind Sal, "Oh, but get out of the way, will you? That's a good chap."

---

The blind kobold bows, "it is a great privilge to be visited by one such as yourself. May I offer you some tea. I have lived here a long time. I used to be a shephard and to keep watch to the bay. I can do that no longer, however. Ha ha ha."

danielxcutter
2017-07-02, 07:57 PM
Rowan frowned, and started to follow the path.

Something isn't right...

I forget, were we supposed to do all the rolling?

Emperor Demonking
2017-07-03, 02:57 PM
Rowan frowned, and started to follow the path.

Something isn't right...

I forget, were we supposed to do all the rolling?

Aye, you do your own rolls.

Centaurion
2017-07-03, 04:31 PM
The red moustachioed man speaks, "Yeah, we've got that. Four silver a day, five if you have a mount. What sort of job you looking for? Who know, I might know something. Buying a drink?"

Five silver... He clears his throat. "Good Sir, as I am rather low on cash right now... Could I instead maybe interest you in accepting this particular treasure that I brought over from my homelands as alternative payment? It is one of the last things that truly reminds me of my home, but as I have lost almost everything, I reckon I need to depart from it." He takes out a bell from one of the pockets of his backpack. While not of immense value (2GP), it might look differently due to its origin from another continent.

If you need a diplomacy roll, here we go: [roll0]

danielxcutter
2017-07-03, 07:50 PM
Aye, you do your own rolls.

Rowan frowned. Something didn't seem right, but he wasn't sure what.

He scanned the surrounding area.

Search: [roll0]

Spot: [roll1]

Survival: [roll2]

PallentisLunam
2017-07-03, 09:35 PM

Sal ignores the other man's gibe and presses on with his attempts to squeeze a bit of blood from the proverbial stone. "It would be a shame if your cart were to overturn in the streets just as a customs patrol was coming by. You might have some explaining to do then."

PeacefulOak
2017-07-04, 11:39 AM
Gyrtu Andusk

Lifting his crossbow fully, he lets the bolt slip free and returns it to its case, releasing the tension on the string with a sharp twang.

"Forgive the noise, elder. One cannot be too careful, travelling alone through the wilds. Only just tonight I was assaulted by a wild cat, and thanks to my crossbow here I am alive, and it is certain to become food and possibly clothing or a rug or something." He quickly retrieves Winged Hope and ties the mule next to the door.

"I would be honored to share tea with you."

Emperor Demonking
2017-07-04, 02:39 PM
The keeper did not look to fondly upon the gnome. The gnomish bell, however, he did and he accepted it as payment.

---

"Would be a shame if you breather your last today too." Said the captain to Sal.

Jin would not have expected this situation and it may not necessarily be in Sal's interest the push the situation.

---

Rowan sees two tracks. One very new - from his uncle - one slightly older. The older ones seem more frantic compared to the reasonable steps of the half-Orc. Those steps lead to a large tree. A recognised voice coming from it, "I was hoping that you would search the camp.

" There is a river not far from here, and I think I spy a boat on it. That may be our assassin" said Rowan's uncle as he climbed down.

---

The old man hobbles inside as he leaves the door open, he speaks as he takes the kettle from the fire and pours a cup of tea for both himself and his guest "Why does your quest bring you here so far from everything?"

PallentisLunam
2017-07-04, 10:12 PM

"Oooh, touchy," Sal taunts as he fades into the shadows. Before he leaves Sal tells his men that they are to stick around and find out what they can while he goes and reports what they know to the chapter house.

PeacefulOak
2017-07-05, 02:41 PM
Gyrtu Andusk

The young priest moves into the room, stretching out the knots from the long passage over the mountain and the brief-but-intense battle prior.

"My goal is to spread the Way of the Dragon beyond our shores. Staying here would be nothing more than preaching to the congregation, and while there is value to that my mission is farther-reaching than that. I am sent to be a missionary, to bring faith to the faithless and prepare the way for our Winged Lords."

Emperor Demonking
2017-07-06, 04:34 PM
The old kobold spoke, "This is not quite the correct place to... actually.. I have it here."

The blnd kobold got up and began to feel around, "Oh, no of course. I've moved it."

He raises back fully extended and faces towards Gyrtu. "I have something that I can offer you. It will allow you to travel te seas. Will you follow me?"

---

Jin nods as he is debriefed by Sal. "Ths is absurd. I'm not saying they can't have their secrets, but they ought to compensate. I'm familiar with the man in charge of the Cold Irons. I'll see him. You're done for the night. Meet me tomorrow."

danielxcutter
2017-07-06, 07:10 PM
Rowan smiled weakly.

"Uncle, you know me too well to think that I'd stay. Not after...

Anyways, we should follow the boat."

Emperor Demonking
2017-07-07, 06:41 AM
Rowan and uncle rushing to the river. They find the place where the ground is lower and where there is obvious scuffing of where a boat had been moored. a badge and bear stand where the boat would have been, oddly indifferent to each other's company. The river is not fast, however the side that Rowan is on is much more forested and the river leads away from it.

danielxcutter
2017-07-07, 06:45 AM
Rowan and uncle rushing to the river. They find the place where the ground is lower and where there is obvious scuffing of where a boat had been moored. a badge and bear stand where the boat would have been, oddly indifferent to each other's company. The river is not fast, however the side that Rowan is on is much more forested and the river leads away from it.

"Hmm... I don't suppose you two gentlemen know anything?" asked Rowan to the animals, with a small smile.

PeacefulOak
2017-07-07, 03:31 PM
Gyrtu Andusk

The younng priest does not even hesitate, rising and stepping forward. "Of course I will follow. Any aid that you could provide me in my quest would be of great use and deeply appreciated."

PallentisLunam
2017-07-08, 08:59 PM

"Anything you want to share with the class, boss?" Sal asks a little put out by the night's events "I count on you to make sure my kids still have a father each night. And that means not sending me in blind."

Emperor Demonking
2017-07-09, 03:28 AM
The bear and badger both attack Rowan's uncle.

Roll initiative!

---

Sals's boos, "I told you all I knew about it. I thought it was two-bitters. The guys who saw it before said it was a sort of fishing boat operation. The not the big thing that you're suggesting."

---

The blind kobold walks down the mountain with serene calmness. They come to a tunnel. Entering, the kobold starts sticking his hands in a variety of holes.

" It is in her somewhere." He says as he keeps going forward and keeps trying.

Centaurion
2017-07-10, 03:57 AM
Zeph smiles relieved seeing that he seemed to have found a way to stay.

"Sooo, you mentioned you might now about a job?" he asks, hoping not to push his luck too far.

PeacefulOak
2017-07-10, 12:01 PM
Gyrtu Andusk

"What do you seek, grandfather? May I help you search?" Gyrtu begins to peer into the holes, curious as to what he is looking for.

PallentisLunam
2017-07-10, 02:36 PM

Sal grunts and storms off.

Emperor Demonking
2017-07-10, 02:50 PM
The barkeep replied to Zeph, "That depends on what you can do. Any good with numbers? I know some people who need some bookkeeping."

---

When Sal returns the next day. He does not find Jin. He does find one of the guys that he used the day before. "Sal, have you seen Jin. He's not here."

---

"It is s small token. In the shape of a swan. That may not seem very useful, but it is great magic." Says the blind kobold as Gyrtu sees the red eyes of a kobold-sized rat.

Emperor Demonking
2017-07-10, 02:58 PM
The badger strikes at Rowan's uncle again. It misses completely. The badger is between Rowan and Torqual. The bear stands in front of Torqual.

danielxcutter
2017-07-10, 08:34 PM
Rowan swings his greatsword at the badger with great force, swiping at it's neck.

Attack roll: [roll0] +2 from Str, +1 from BAB, -1 from Power Attack.

Damage roll: [roll1] +(2 x 1.5) from Str and two-handed weapon, +2 from two-handed Power Attack.

PallentisLunam
2017-07-10, 09:43 PM

Sal runs a heavily calloused hand over his weather beaten face. "Last I knew he was going to to talk to the pompous Iron Crown bastard we ran into down at the wharf last night. Jin said something about knowing the cur. If he's missing I think we're about to have a war on our hands."

Emperor Demonking
2017-07-11, 02:08 PM
Rowan's blade is swung with immense strength. Unfortunately it fails to land.

The bear lands a heavy claw on Torqual, who with his own greatsword draws blood. The badge defends his bear friend with a little nip on Rowan's uncle.

---

The man blanches at Sal's comment, "I think we should investigate."

danielxcutter
2017-07-11, 07:08 PM
Rowan snarled and swung his blade at the badger again.

My turn again, right? Same as last time.

[roll0]

[roll1]

Edit: Oh come *on*. :smallmad:

PeacefulOak
2017-07-11, 11:42 PM
Gyrtu Andusk

"RAT!!" shouts the cleric as he levels his crossbow, pulling the trigger before dropping the bulky weapon and readying his long spear.

[roll0] to hit for [roll1] damage

PallentisLunam
2017-07-12, 01:08 PM

Sal rolls his eyes. "Well aren't you the clever one," He says with biting sarcasm "But here's an idea. How about instead of us getting pinched the same way Jin did, you round up the boys and I'll go have a look around the docks. When you get everybody rounded up we'll all meet back at the warehouse."

Having given his orders, Sal heads down to the docks to casually take a look around, avoiding any dark corners or suspicious alleyways. He keeps his eyes peeled for any one he saw last night and any secret signs Jin might have left in haste.

Emperor Demonking
2017-07-12, 04:16 PM
Rowan misses again. The bear pulls as Rowan. Torqual lands a satisfying blow on the bear. The badger again retaliates with a nip on the half-orc.

--
The rat screeches in pain as it slumps over fata;ly wounded. "What is that?" Says the blind kobold still searching,

---

Whatever they has ought to accomplish must have been completed, or perhaps they are taking a break. The dock appears to be abandoned.

PeacefulOak
2017-07-13, 04:29 AM
Gyrtu Andusk

Holstering his spear, Gyrtu picks up his trusty crossbow and begins to reload it.

"A dangerous beast threatened us, but do not worry! The great Winged Lords guided my bolt, and I slew the monster!" Gyrtu preens for a moment, then returns to helping search for the token.

Emperor Demonking
2017-07-14, 03:54 AM
"A rat." whispered the blind Kobold.

Gyrtu's search falls short of finding the token, but he finds an adjourning chamber with a chest sat before a tiled floor. Not only that, but before coming to the entrance of this chamber he finds a small secret door for a passage leading down.

danielxcutter
2017-07-14, 04:35 AM
Rowan bit his lip in frustration. Again, he swung his blade, but this time with less force and more precision.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

This time, no Power Attack.

Edit: You have *got* to be kidding me. :smallannoyed:

PeacefulOak
2017-07-14, 11:17 AM
Gyrtu Andusk

"Yes, a Rodent of Unusual Size such that I feared for your safety! But look here.... I mean here I found a room with a chest. Is this what you seek?" As he speaks, Gyrtu nudges the secret door open and peers down, looking to see what can be seen.

PallentisLunam
2017-07-15, 07:43 AM

I can't go back with nothing Sal thinks to himself grinding his teeth in frustration. There has to be something here, unless Jin went to meet the Crown dog at their place... Damn, I should have asked more questions! Sal punches one of the nearby dock pylons. Jin, if you're alive, hold on. If they've killed you...

"We're about to send some company down to hell for you!"

Sal makes his way quickly back through the streets to the Twisting Waves' warehouse/headquarters.

Emperor Demonking
2017-07-16, 04:25 AM
Rowan's swing misses. The bear's blow taks a good ut out of Torquan. Torquan's swing is a greater retaliation against the bear, but both bloody combatents reman upright. The bager's attempt at a nip failed.

---

The tunnel is a downwards incline going in the direction of the chest room. It s dark and seems to lead to a expansive room..

"Oh, did I put it there. I guess I never use it. Would you mind looking into t, it is a white token in the shape of a white swan." Speaks the blind kobold.

---

Sal returns to the Twisting Waves, a quick attempt at gatherng information gets him nothing save that the location of the Cold Iron Crowns is in a mansion at the outskirts of the city.

danielxcutter
2017-07-16, 06:21 AM
One blow. Just one blow, please, O Trumpets. prayed Rowan, swinging his blade once more.

You know the drill...

Edit: YEEEEEEEEAAAAH!

Emperor Demonking
2017-07-16, 11:54 AM
The woodland critter lay cleaved upon the floor. The Bears lunge at Rowan's uncle hit only air. As did the retaliatory swing. The badger only bled.

PeacefulOak
2017-07-17, 05:10 PM
Gyrtu Andusk

The black-and-silver kobold steps cautiously into the room, doing his best to keep a wary eye for any uneven tiles or other unfortunate misfortunes. On reaching the chest, he runs his hands over it carefully before lifting the lid.

[roll0] Search check, re traps/etc

PallentisLunam
2017-07-18, 12:25 AM

Looking around at his fellow Waves Sal takes a heavy breath. "Boys... Let's go crack some skulls." He leads anyone willing to follow him to the Crown's hideout.

danielxcutter
2017-07-18, 12:32 AM
The woodland critter lay cleaved upon the floor. The Bears lunge at Rowan's uncle hit only air. As did the retaliatory swing. The badger only bled.

Whew, it worked. Please help me again, O radiant Trumpets.

Attack: 1d20+3
Damage: [roll0]

Emperor Demonking
2017-07-19, 06:01 PM
Gyrtu: Make a reflex check.

---

Six agree top follow Sal. Getting to the mansion one can see that its grounfds are covered with a high wall. The iron gates - cold to the touch - are topped with spikes, as are the walls, and grilled. The nmansion's attic windows can be seen from without.

---

Rowan misses with his bloody sword. The bears swing leaves Torquan at the brink of collapse. However, his relatility strikes leaves the large bear in a similar position.

danielxcutter
2017-07-19, 06:53 PM
"No... NO!" shouted Rowan.

He leapt forwards, swinging his blade at the bear.

O radiant Trumpets, please...

PallentisLunam
2017-07-19, 07:44 PM

Sal keeps a careful eye on the grounds as he waves up one of the boys who is good with locks. "Get these things open quick, lad," he orders twirling his mace.

Emperor Demonking
2017-07-23, 10:22 AM
Sal watches as the locks fall and the gate is pushed open.

--

Rowan took a swung at the bear, but missed! The bear swung at Rowan's uncle and missed. The retaliation shot also missed.

--

The tiles came clattering down. Gyurky didn't however, jumping up onto the chest with the speed of a dragon. At the bottom of the pit can be seen two more large rats. Laughter can be heard, "Ha ha. Food! Food! For the demons!"

PallentisLunam
2017-07-23, 05:08 PM
Sal forms the waves into a tight group with himself at its head and rushes towards the manor house, heading straight for the front door to break it down and storm the house. As he approaches Sal will throw his knife through a window as a distraction, hoping to catch any occupants by surprise.

PeacefulOak
2017-07-24, 10:06 AM
Gyrtu Andusk

With a shriek, Gyrtu leaps up onto the chest, almost spitting with rage.

"The curses or the Dragons upon you! All of them!! All the curses for you!!!"

He levels his crossbow and fires at the foul traitor.

[roll0] to hit (+1 if within 30') for [roll1] damage, (+1 if within 30')

danielxcutter
2017-07-24, 04:51 PM
"Oh for the love of..." muttered Rowan.

You know the drill.

Emperor Demonking
2017-07-26, 02:30 PM
The window smashes. The opening area seems empty. The five dockers split up, running through the mansion to find someone. The opening hallway is large. It has two doors one leading left and one righ. There are ornate stairs leadng up. At the end of the hallway is a glass consevatory.

--

The bolt hits the old Kobold in the throat. He slumps; gurgling blood.

--

Rowan's attack missed . The bear's seems to caught Rowan's luck as his attack on Rowan's uncle goes wide. The uncle bucks the trend. His sword hits true, the bear defeated.

PallentisLunam
2017-07-26, 07:39 PM
Dagger (4) +3 (Melee) +2 (Thrown) (1d4+3, 19-20/x2) Range Inc. 20 ft.

Sal draws a second knife and heads cautiously upstairs keeping his eyes and ears peeled for signs of an alarm being raised.

danielxcutter
2017-07-26, 07:44 PM
"Uncle! Are you okay?" Rowan runs over to Torqual.

Emperor Demonking
2017-07-28, 06:23 AM
Upstairs there are numerous doors, most thrown open by your own men. One door near the stairs remains closed and is locked.

--

Torqual coughs, "took it out of me more than I thought it would. Perhaps we ought to be getting back."

danielxcutter
2017-07-28, 08:50 AM
Rowan bit his lip. He really wanted to go on, but his uncle was hurt too much. "Alright..."

PeacefulOak
2017-07-28, 11:26 AM
Gyrtu Andusk

With a grunt, Gyrtu slides off the back of the chest and reloads his crossbow, keeping an eye on the fallen traitor. Once the crossbow is reloaded, he takes aim down into the hole and shoots the two rats until they stop moving. That unpleasant task complete, he turns to the chest and carefully lifts the lid, peering around the edge once it is fully lifted.

Assuming I'm not in danger, I'll shoot rats until they stop moving. I'm guessing they're within 30'? If not, -1 to hit and damage for each roll below.

[roll0] for [roll1] Damage
[roll2] for [roll3] Damage
[roll4] for [roll5] Damage
[roll6] for [roll7] Damage
[roll8] for [roll9] Damage
[roll10] for [roll11] Damage

That should be enough. I switch when the first dies, and stop when the second dies. There is a round of reloading between each shot.

PallentisLunam
2017-07-28, 01:19 PM

Sal takes a few steps back and tries to shoulder check the door open.

Strength check to break down the door: [roll0]

Emperor Demonking
2017-07-31, 03:00 PM
As they walk back, Torquan speraks to his nephew, "You weren't hurt were you? Tomorrow we'll look at the camp more thoroughly."

--

The chest is full of skulls.

--
Sal bounces off the door.

PallentisLunam
2017-07-31, 05:30 PM

Cursing and rubbing his shoulder Sal tries again this time giving the door a hard kick

Strength check to break down the door: [roll0]

danielxcutter
2017-07-31, 06:42 PM
"I'm fine, Uncle." Rowan said. He'd actually made it out unscathed, while his uncle had taken quite a beating. I wonder why none of them attacked me?

PeacefulOak
2017-08-02, 10:22 AM
Gyrtu Andusk

Having finished off the rodents, Gyrtu casts a glance at the traitor kobold to make sure that it's still dead.

He then begins chanting Draconic prayers over the skulls, lifting them one at a time and setting them aside until he has emptied the chest.

Emperor Demonking
2017-08-03, 02:43 PM
Sal sees the door thud down. The room has two grand linen-white beds. A figure lies on each. The first a grey-haired human of middle-age. The second: Jin. Neither move.

--

Rowan's uncvle responded, "Perhaps you ought to investigate that camp now, lest any evidence is taken by the weather. Althoughm if there's any trouble then there's no glory in recklessness."

--

There is no reaction to the prayers andf as the chest is empty of skulls it is empty. Gyrtku can see that they are all kobold skulls. In various state of decay, becoming more bear and barren of scales as he goes down the chest.

danielxcutter
2017-08-03, 04:52 PM
"Do you think you'll be okay?" asked Rowan, slightly worried.

PeacefulOak
2017-08-03, 04:57 PM
Gyrtu Andusk

The cleric growls a curse against the foul betrayer that brought him here and brought so many of his brethren, of his charges, to death. He quietly but fervently speaks the Prayers for the Fallen over the skulls, consecrating them to their eternity of divine flight. That done, he begins a painstaking search of the room, starting with the chest itself and then moving around the walls and floor, looking for any sort of secret panels or entrances/exits.

Take 20 on Search, result is 22.

PallentisLunam
2017-08-03, 07:10 PM

A wave of relief washes over Sal. "I've got him!" Sal calls out moving into the room. Please be asleep. Taking a cursory glance around he moves to Jin's side. Sheathing his blade, Sal shakes Jin's shoulder trying to wake him.

Is there any sound of fighting or any sign of life from the rest of the house?

Emperor Demonking
2017-08-04, 03:20 PM
"Oh, yes." Said the uncle to his nephew, "Nothing mortal. Just scratches. I've had worst scratches."

But perhaps he is merely putting on a brave fight.

---

Sal can hear in the distance the sound of his compratriats going about their business. As he gets closer to Jin he can see his eyes- wide with a small onyx-black stone in his mouth. If he were tolook at the other man then he would be able to see the same.

---

The cleric looked thoroughly for something, and having found one before perhaps he expected to find another. He does not however. Still in the little pockets dotted around the room he finds several parchments, some very rotted some newer. 14 copper pieces and 32 silver pieces. Ten torches, 6 degrated into unusuability and a bedroll and a small token in the shape of a swan.

PallentisLunam
2017-08-04, 03:52 PM

Sal's relief turns to cold dread in the pit of his stomach. He snatches back his hand suddenly wary of touching Jin. "Jin! Jin, wake up!" Sal shouts at him while his mind races.

Spot check to see if Jin is breathing or otherwise alive - [roll0]

Three untrained knowledge checks to determine what in the nine hells is going on:
Arcana - [roll1] ; Checking for any obvious signs of magic and what they might mean
Local - [roll2] ; Trying to recall some tradition or story about the dead being treated in this manner
Religion - [roll3] ; Looking for any iconography that might indicate a ceremony or patron god.

danielxcutter
2017-08-04, 07:12 PM
Rowan hesitates, then shakes his head. "What if any of the assassins are left,
or you meet some other danger? At the very least, I'll go with you back to the castle then come back here."

Emperor Demonking
2017-08-05, 04:07 AM
Sal recognises nothing about this situation. He sees nothing to leand and clue, and never witnessed or heard such a rite. Jin continues to not move.

---

Rowan's and his uncle's journey to the castle is uneventful.

danielxcutter
2017-08-05, 04:24 AM
"I'll go back to the assassins' camp, uncle. Don't worry, I'll be careful." says Rowan, after taking Torqual back to the castle.

Emperor Demonking
2017-08-05, 04:31 AM
"You too, nephew." says Torqual.

The camp is as Rowan left it. The abandoned tents still stand abandoned, and nothing seems to have been taken from the abandoned posessions.

PallentisLunam
2017-08-05, 06:53 PM

"Alright, you stupid bastard, we're getting you out of here. Even if it is just to burn your corpse." Sheathing his weapons Sal slaps Jin across the face with the back of his hand to knock the stone from his mouth. Then, grabbing one of Jin's arms Sal pulls him up over his shoulders in a fireman's carry. On his way out of the room Sal pauses to take a closer look at the other man.

danielxcutter
2017-08-05, 09:04 PM
Hmm... perhaps I missed something? Rowan checked the campsite for clues.

Search check: [roll0] There aren't any other modifiers now, right?

Emperor Demonking
2017-08-08, 10:48 AM
Rowan doesn't find anything he missed before. The travelling equipment, however he notices, include some pre-addressed parchment for an address in Portskeep.

---

Knocking the stone out of Jin's mouth stops sal in his tracks as with still dead eyes, Jin slowly gets to his feet in uncoordinated jagged movements.

PallentisLunam
2017-08-08, 11:51 AM
AC 19, Touch 16, Flat-footed 13, Fort 0, Ref 4, Will 1, Base Attack Bonus 0
Conditions: Total Defense

Sal leaps backwards when Jin moves. Drawing his mace he puts his back to the open doorway and takes up a defensive stance.
"What the hell is going on here?!"

Initiative: [roll0]
Taking the Total Defense Action because Sal is trying to figure out what is happening.

PeacefulOak
2017-08-08, 03:47 PM
Gyrtu Andusk

Pocketing the money, the small kobold gathers the torches, bedroll, and the small swan-shaped token together. He tucks the swan into a pocket and rolls up the bedroll around the torches, tying it and slinging it over one shoulder before making his way out of the room and then slowly down the secret passage, his crossbow held loaded before him. He pauses to spit on and kick the body of the dead kobold before descending.

danielxcutter
2017-08-08, 04:56 PM
"Portskeep, huh?" Rowan mutters. That sounds suspicious.

Is there anything remotely lootable in the camp?

Emperor Demonking
2017-08-09, 02:17 PM
Sal: Roll initiative

---

Gyrtku walks down the tunnel, his footsteps squelching in the mud. He comes across the red-eyed corpses of the large rats that he had slain. The smell of brimstone is powerful. There is another tunnel that Gyrtku can see. It does not seem very long but there is a stone circle at the end of it.

---

Rowan finds nothing really lootable. The lute's likely valuable, however.

PeacefulOak
2017-08-09, 02:26 PM
Gyrtu Andusk

Stopping for a moment, Gyrtu chants a brief prayer, his hands moving in specific divine patterns before touching himself on the chest. He feels the will of the dragons fill him, and he steps forward, his crossbow held ready as he approaches the stone circle, eyes scanning the area.

Cast Divine Favor on self (+1 luck bonus to attack and damage).

[roll0] Spot check
Ready to fire my crossbow should anything threaten me.

danielxcutter
2017-08-09, 04:57 PM
Rowan packs the lute and sets off. Perhaps it might help with finding the assassins. Even if it doesn't, he might be able to sell it.

Emperor Demonking
2017-08-13, 12:10 AM
[roll0]
--

Gyrtku sees nothng more as he approaches the stone circle.

--
Sets off to Portskeep?

Emperor Demonking
2017-08-13, 12:12 AM
Jin has risen to his feet. His eyes betraying nothing while his mouth is in a grimace.

PallentisLunam
2017-08-13, 03:56 PM
AC 17, Touch 14, Flat-footed 13, Fort 0, Ref 4, Will 1, Base Attack Bonus 0

"Jin, what's wrong?! Snap out of it!" Sal shouts hoping to draw the attention of the other thieves with the noise. He settles into a ready stance with his mace held defensively in both hands waiting on Jin's move.

Declaring a readied action: If Jin approaches with hostile intent Sal will make an attack with his mace and then 5 ft. step back out of reach.
Also fighting defensively. To hit: [roll0] Crit Confirmation: [roll1] (probably pointless if Jin is a zombie as I suspect) Damage: [roll2]
Crit Damage: [roll3]

PeacefulOak
2017-08-14, 02:41 PM
Gyrtu Andusk

Gyrtu steps up to the circle, examining it and attempting to see if there is any purpose to this tunnel beyond being a death-trap inhabited by rats.

Emperor Demonking
2017-08-15, 01:49 PM
Rowan's journey to Portskeep is uneventful. It is evening when he arrives and making his way to the adress written on the parchment he arrives at a high-walled compound with two large iron gates busted open.

--

Gyrtku approaches the stone ring. As he gets too close the smell of sulfur becomes overpowering. Looking around once the overpowering smell faes, Gyrtku is elsewhere; although now in a stone circle. Evening, in a glass room full of crates and boxes in a green garden. Even for a kobold it would be a squeeze to get out.

--

Jin moves with hostile intent. Sal's attack at the Jin-creature hits only air. Jin's own lumbring blows do likewise; and probably would have even without Sal's watchful eyes and quick reflexes.

PeacefulOak
2017-08-15, 05:31 PM
Gyrtu Andusk

Sniffing, anticipating the continued smell of brimstone, the black-and-silver kobold steps forward, examining the boxes to see if anything can be seen within.

danielxcutter
2017-08-15, 07:20 PM
"What the...?" Rowan mutters.

PallentisLunam
2017-08-15, 11:24 PM
AC 15, Touch 14, Flat-footed 13, Fort 0, Ref 4, Will 1, Base Attack Bonus 0

Sal swears and, gritting his teeth, takes a full blooded swing at Jin's head, ignoring the feelings of guilt that threaten to overwhelm him.

Attack roll: [roll0] Crit Confirmation: [roll1] Damage: [roll2] Crit Damage: [roll3]

Emperor Demonking
2017-08-17, 05:04 AM
The two former colleagues contnue to miss the other. Perhaps, that glimmer of fereindship still remins?

--

The cleric can continue smelling brimstone, however it is slightly lighter. Looking through little holes in the boxes, Gyrku can see a variety of thngs. Som glass tubes belonging to a larger thing. A mable bust. Something large of brass of bronze.

--

Standing outside te gates, Rowan can see what lies inside the compound. It is a large mansion. He can see that one window is smashed next to the open front door.

danielxcutter
2017-08-17, 05:31 AM
Rowan hesitates, then goes through the gates. He decides to go in through the window.

Which rolls will be needed? Hide, Move Silently, maybe Climb?

PallentisLunam
2017-08-17, 12:53 PM
Dagger (3) +3 (Melee) +2 (Thrown) (1d4+3, 19-20/x2) Range Inc. 20 ft.

Careful to avoid Jin's flailing arms Sal steps back, drawing his dagger and flicking it towards his opponent.

5 ft. step to get out of reach without provoking an AoO
Move action to draw a weapon (Dagger).
Attack roll: [roll0] Crit Confirmation: [roll1] Damage: [roll2] Crit Damage: [roll3]
I forgot the bonuses from Point Blank Shot, not that it matters with my rolls. :smallannoyed:

PeacefulOak
2017-08-17, 01:11 PM
Gyrtu Andusk

Patting the nose of Winged Hope, Gyrtu tries to get a better view of what is around him.

Assuming no visible threats, Gyrtu will try to open the box with the brass/bronze thing inside it.

Emperor Demonking
2017-08-18, 02:24 AM
Rowan carefully goes through the wndow nt the empty room. Much more carefult than whomeever was in the room last. Its big bookshelves are empty wth the books strewn over the floor. The couches and sofas are toppled. The fireplace is without fire and its logs are also knock out of its piles.

(Move Silently rolls)

--

Sal's change of tactics offer him no respite. Jin shuffled forward and SLAMs into Sal. Sal taking four damage.

--

With no visible threats around, Gyrtku stands on another crate so as to open the lid for the brass thing. What he finds is simply another container - a sarcaphagos. With the whole thing in view now you can see the blue stripes that help to make up a face.

danielxcutter
2017-08-18, 04:58 AM
Rowan does his best to move without making noise, in case there were any assassins left.

[roll0]

PallentisLunam
2017-08-18, 12:08 PM
Male NE Human Rogue, Level 1, Init 2, HP 2/6, Speed 30'

With a cry of pain Sal staggers back and turns to flee down the stairs.

Nope, nope, nope.
Withdraw action to avoid an AoO.

Emperor Demonking
2017-08-19, 02:58 AM
Sal gets away from Jin as he very slowly follows behind.

Sal, can you make a listen check.

Emperor Demonking
2017-08-20, 03:32 AM
Once down the stairs who can hear someone skulking in one of the rooms near the front door - in fact the same room whose window you broke - although, of course, a break-in has occured none of your boys are skulking.

--

Rowan outside the door you hear somebody going down the stairs. Taking a peek you see that he is a short stocky man.

The skulking person in the bookroom is Rowan. The short stocky man is Sal. If you want to interact with one another.

danielxcutter
2017-08-20, 04:06 AM
Rowan draws his blade and hides. He's not sure who this man is, but he doesn't look one for small talk.

Hide and Move Silently, I guess.

[roll[1d20+4

PallentisLunam
2017-08-20, 06:05 PM

Sal is bleeding heavily from a scalp wound over his right eye where Jin clawed him with his finger nails but he still manages to spot the man moving to hide in the far room. "YOU CROWN BASTARD!!!! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO HIM?!" Sal bellows as his eyes blaze with raw fury. Taking his mace in both hands again Sal charges Rowan.

Please don't hate me :smallredface: It's in character!
Charge if possible, otherwise move and attack: [roll0](+2 w/ charge) Crit: [roll1](+2 w/ charge) Damage: [roll2] Crit Damage: [roll3]

danielxcutter
2017-08-20, 11:15 PM
"Ack!" The blow goes wild, but Rowan can feel the anger in the man's strike, if his face wasn't enough.

"Aggh! Wait, Crown? What do you mean? I did what?" Rowan babbles, raising his blade in a defensive stance but not attacking. He doesn't think that this man is one of the assassins, but he really doesn't want to be killed.

Total Defense action. +2 dodge AC, I think, in exchange for -5 to hit.

PeacefulOak
2017-08-20, 11:56 PM
Gyrtu Andusk

Gyrtu carefully examines the container, attempting to determine if he knows anything of its nature.

[roll0] knowledge religion.

He then attempts to open it, looking for any latch or hinge to help him.

Emperor Demonking
2017-08-21, 09:36 AM
Jin's deathly footsteps begin walking down the stairs.

Rowan: roll initiative for your fight with Sal.

--

That they are part of funeral rites someplace (but not in Kobold society), is all that Gyrtku can recall about them. he doesn't see a latch or hinge. The sarcophagus is standing up and the front is simply grooved into the back. It'll be a big shove to separate them.

PallentisLunam
2017-08-21, 09:45 AM
Dagger (2) +3 (Melee) +2 (Thrown) (1d4+3, 19-20/x2) Range Inc. 20 ft.

Sal curses Rowan and backs off drawing a knife and flicking it towards Jin at the top of the stairs. "What the hell are you stupid lordlings up to!? Tell me or when I'm done with him I'll beat it out of you!"

Maneuvering to get within 20 feet of Jin, maybe somewhere where he can't get to me easily.
Knife throw: [roll0] Crit: [roll1] Damage: [roll2] Crit Damage: [roll3]

PeacefulOak
2017-08-21, 10:18 AM
Gyrtu Andusk

Growling about stupid big people and their foolish traditions, Gyrtu abandons the sarcophagus and tries to find a way to squeeze out of this storage area.

danielxcutter
2017-08-21, 04:15 PM
"Wait, so you're not one of the guys who tried to butcher my entire household then!" Rowan realizes. "I'm not a Crown or whatever, I just came here to find who tried to assassinate everyone I know and love."

Initiative: [roll0]

Again, Total Defense.

Emperor Demonking
2017-08-22, 11:20 AM
It isn't so very difficult for the cleric to get out. Opening the glass doors, Gyrtku can see a pair of shut doors that lead into the mansion whose garden he is in. It is also possible to go around the hedge-lined walls.

---

As the two warriors either fight or speak, with young Rowan mantaining his defensive stance. Sal gets to the bottom of the stairs and his knife thumps and sticks into Jin's thigh, but does not slow him down. The unflinching former comerade shables down the stairs to meet sal, attempting a punch but missing conclusively.

Order: Rowan - Sal - Jin

PeacefulOak
2017-08-22, 12:58 PM
Gyrtu Andusk

Largely ignoring the splendor of the garden, Gyrtu hefts his crossbow and steps forward, opening the door and preparing to shoot anything dangerous within.

PallentisLunam
2017-08-22, 03:28 PM
AC 17, Touch 15, Flat-footed 13, Fort 0, Ref 4, Will 1, Base Attack Bonus 0

Unsure who to focus on Sal guards his strikes carefully but chooses to throw a two handed blow at Jin.

"I came here to rescue my friend!" he barks at Rowan. "It's not going well!"

Fight Defensively.

Attack: [roll0] Crit: [roll1] Damage: [roll2] Crit Damage: [roll3]

Now that's really weird.

danielxcutter
2017-08-22, 05:25 PM
"Wait... is that your friend? Something's... wrong." Rowan says. "Anyways I'll help you fight!" He charges at the strange man, swinging his blade in a wide arc.

Attack roll: [roll0] +2 from Str, +2 from charge, +1 from BAB, -1 from PA.

Emperor Demonking
2017-08-23, 02:22 PM
Gyrtku opens the door to see a large hallway. A large staircase runs above Gyrtk's head. He can hear commotion coming from, presumably, the foot of the stairs. There are two doors near to him. One shut. One ajar. The one open seems to lead down into some basement or cellar.

--

Rowans blade takes off a large chunk of Jin's thigh. Sal's attack however unfortunately goes wide. The large undocker turns to face the foe that injured him, his first flying through the air as he did so only to land harmlessly on the breast of the taller man.

PallentisLunam
2017-08-23, 02:30 PM

"Really? You think so? I was gonna hedge my bets but if you think something's wrong!" The sarcasm in Sal's voice is sharper than his blades. He dances around Jin to put himself and Rowan on either side of the corpse.

Two-handed mace attack (hopefully) from flank: [roll0] damage [roll1]

PeacefulOak
2017-08-23, 02:33 PM
Gyrtu Andusk

Moving in to the house, Gyrtu keeps his crossbow ready in case any strange creatures present themselves. He moves so that he can make out what is happening on the stairs, wary of danger from his recent experiences.

danielxcutter
2017-08-23, 07:15 PM
Rowan swings his blade again, putting his weight into the blow.

Flanking is +2 to hit right?

[roll0]

[roll1]

Emperor Demonking
2017-08-24, 01:25 AM
Gyrtku creeps in a position where he can see...

---

Rowan swung his sword at the deathly Jin as Sal prepared to get into a better position. The might of Rowan's swing tears the zombie's torso from its legs. It lays stll on the floor; living no more.

(Flanking is +2, but you weren't flanking yet. It matters not. You still hit.)

danielxcutter
2017-08-24, 01:29 AM
Rowan's face twists in disgust and shock, taking a step back. At the same time, though, he noticed that something was off about the bisected corpse in front of him...

PeacefulOak
2017-08-24, 10:05 AM
Gyrtu Andusk

Gyrtu swallows heavily and steps into the open, leveling his crossbow.

He yips loudly to catch their attention. "Hey, tall people! Don't move! Do you bow before the Dragon Lords? Where am I? Bow before the disciple of the Dragons!"

PallentisLunam
2017-08-24, 04:52 PM

Sal had recovered quickly from the shock of seeing Jin's body twitching on the fine stone floor. Slipping another dagger out of its sheath he had stolen a march on Rowan when a new voice caused him to whirl around. "Behind you! Another one!" Sal shouted pointing with his knife through the doorway in which the kobold was standing.

Bluff check to try and hide: [roll0]
Hide check if successful: [roll1] Hiding spot must be within 4 ft.

PeacefulOak
2017-08-24, 04:57 PM
Gyrtu Andusk

"You can't fool me!" The kobold doesn't even flinch, holding the crossbow at the ready.

danielxcutter
2017-08-24, 05:01 PM
"Trumpets above, what now." grumbled Rowan. "First a wizard and a bard bring a bunch of assassins to kill my household, then this."

PallentisLunam
2017-08-24, 05:11 PM

Sal shrugs unapologetically, holding his weapons loose and at the ready. "Maybe not, but I certainly don't serve any dragons. And if you want to keep your teeth I might suggest pointing that thing in a safer direction." Glancing over at Rowan, Sal wonders if the big fighter would back him up against this pipsqueak. I don't trust him as far as I could throw him, but he's no crown that's for sure.

Looking back at Gyrtu he says "I'm Dirk. That was Jin. And he killed him!" Sal says pointing first to himself, then to Jin's body, and then at Rowan taking a few steps backwards, towards the still open front door.

PeacefulOak
2017-08-24, 05:26 PM
Gyrtu Andusk

Gyrtu glares at the two people. "I am Gyrtu Andusk, priest of the Dragons! I journey to spread the divine wings of the dragons across all the lands." He pauses, lifting his crossbow slightly. "You killed that? Good job. Looks like it got you, though. You should be more careful. Need healing?"

PallentisLunam
2017-08-24, 06:45 PM

Sal stops attempting to slink off and stares at Gyrtu. "You? A priest?Ha... haha.... AHAHAHAHA. Whoo. Pull the other one squirt." Sal wipes his eyes, tearing up in his mirth.

danielxcutter
2017-08-24, 06:56 PM
Rowan sighed. "Hello Gyrtu. My name is Rowan Deepwood. Perhaps we should make a short truce for survival?"

PeacefulOak
2017-08-24, 07:08 PM
Gyrtu Andusk

The silver-edged black scaled kobold stamps its foot in frustration. Shouldering his crossbow for a moment, he chants a brief prayer in Draconic before gesturing imperiously at Sal, saying "In the name of the Dragons, I command you to kneel!"

Glancing up at the ranger, he says "That's what I'm doing!"

Casting Command on Sal, using the 'sit' option... ish. Will Save DC 13!

Boy do I hope you fail. ;)

danielxcutter
2017-08-24, 07:12 PM
Rowan rolls his eyes. "I meant you and Dirk... not that it's working that well I see." he snarks.

PallentisLunam
2017-08-24, 07:17 PM

Sal's entire body tenses for a moment as he feels the power of the dragon wash over him. Then the moment passes and he shudders, shaking off the magic. His former laughter dies on his lips and a cold light burns in his eyes. "Hmph, maybe you are chosen, but try that again and I'll wring your scaly little neck."

Remembering his allies Sal calls out, "You're awfully quiet there boys! We have company." Turning to Gyrtu and Rowan, Sal says "I take it neither of you are locals. I'm one of this city's waves, and I came here to kill some of its crowns. Since they don't seem to be forth coming I will take my leave of you both."

I'm guessing my boys are dead?

danielxcutter
2017-08-24, 07:19 PM
"I'll bet you five copper pieces that these "crowns" or whatever had something to do with... him." Rowan points at Jin's body. "Plus I'm pretty sure they tried to kill my entire household, or at least had to do something with it... count me in, I guess." he adds, shrugging.

PeacefulOak
2017-08-24, 07:27 PM
Gyrtu Andusk

Growling for a moment at the insult, Gyrtu perks up at the mans words.

"Waves, crowns, and strange magic! Surely this is a sign!" He narrows his eyes at the strong-willed man. "You abandon your men so easily? Some leader, you! Follow Gyrtu, he will find your men."

He heads towards a direction that will take him into the house, glancing back to see if the men follow.

Emperor Demonking
2017-08-25, 01:18 AM
At the top of the stairs, Gyrtu sees numerous doors open. One forced open. From one of the doors rushes comes one of Sal's boys carrying a clean mace. He pauses when he spies the Kobold, remaining silent.

PeacefulOak
2017-08-25, 10:09 AM
Gyrtu Andusk

Gyrtu looks closely at the man, and calls back over his shoulder. "See Dirk? I found one of your men already!"

[roll0] Knowledge Religion... it look dead?
[roll1] Heal, same question.

PallentisLunam
2017-08-25, 10:34 AM

Sal rolls his eyes and mimics Gyrtu in a high singsong voice, "See, Dirk. I found one of your men." Sal puts a slight emphasis on the fake name. "I'm sure my calling to them had nothing to do with it." Sal fixes his man with a steely glare urging him to keep his mouth shut and fall in line.

Emperor Demonking
2017-08-25, 10:49 AM
When Sal comes up the stairs and fixes the man with the look then he remains silent. Still he looks very much alive, particularly if the inquisitive way he looks at the kobold as he walks to Sal is any indicator.

PeacefulOak
2017-08-25, 10:57 AM
Gyrtu Andusk

Gyrtu chuckles. "Of course, mister 'I'm leaving', this was all you." He rolls his eyes.

"You still haven't told me where we are. I was following the path of a dragon when I stepped through some stone ring and wound up in the garden!"

PallentisLunam
2017-08-25, 12:55 PM

"I took my leave of you, not my senses," Sal says scornfully. What in all the realms of god and man are these two on about. Stone rings and wizards?

"You are in the city of Portskeep, the outskirts to be precise. This is a manor house held by the crowns, a gang of lordling babes who fancy themselves criminals. And they seem to be up to something far beyond their usual foolishness."

Addressing his fellow wave Sal asks, "Speaking if which, where are the devils?"

PeacefulOak
2017-08-25, 01:41 PM
Gyrtu Andusk

Now that 'Dirk' is within reach, Gyrtu murmurs a short prayer and reaches out, touching the rogue and healing him slightly.

Casting Cure Minor Wounds, heals 1 hit point.

danielxcutter
2017-08-25, 04:57 PM
Well it looks like this man is still normal. Rowan muses, looking at the "wave". He suspects that the waves aren't exactly good people either, but he can live with that for now.

He glances at the kobold. Dragons, eh? Maybe the world really is changing.

Emperor Demonking
2017-08-26, 01:28 AM
"I haven't seen any. Bill said he was setting up a watch, but he hasn't said anything. I ain't seen the other two since we got in. But, no, maybe they were going to the cove-dock while we were coming here?" Says the Wave in answer to Sal's question.

PallentisLunam
2017-08-26, 11:02 AM
Male NE Human Rogue, Level 1, Init 2, HP 3/6, Speed 30'

Sal shrugs Gyrtu's hand off and a thought strikes him. "Maybe you could be useful," he says, almost thinking out loud. Motioning the other wave out of the way Sal says, "Come with me," and he leads Rowan and Gyrtu to the room where he found Sal and the other man.

Emperor Demonking
2017-08-26, 11:59 AM
It is as sal left it - save for the lack of Jin - on a nearby bed lies a silver-haired man perfectly still, a black stone lying in his mouth. A similar stone, one that Sal had taken from Jin's mouth, is on the floor.

danielxcutter
2017-08-26, 08:33 PM
"Hmm, could you explain what happened? Maybe one of us might know something." Rowan asked to Sal. He steps up to the man on the bed and checks for a pulse. "Nope, he's dead. I wonder why they left his corpse like this though..."

PeacefulOak
2017-08-29, 12:48 PM
Gyrtu Andusk

Looking around with interest, Gyrtu enters the room.

"Yes, tall one? I see a dead tall person with a black rock in its mouth. Is this a custom of your people?"

[roll0] Knowledge Religion

danielxcutter
2017-08-29, 05:10 PM
"No it isn't..." Rowan mutters. "Not to my knowledge."

Emperor Demonking
2017-08-30, 04:09 AM
Gyrtu does not remember hearing about this as a custom of any religion. What he does realise is that he can hear a loud whinny - albeit far away - that he recognises as his donkey.

As well as that a second member of Sal's gang comes rushing in, "There's a whole mess of them coming. Twenty. No more like thirty. Forty guys."

PallentisLunam
2017-08-30, 08:14 PM

Sal opens his mouth to tell his story when the wave bursts in, "It'll have to wait! Come! Out the back!"

danielxcutter
2017-08-30, 08:19 PM
"Just one sec." Rowan takes out the black stone. "I have a bad feeling about this stone..."

Emperor Demonking
2017-08-31, 01:45 AM
The bearded begins to rise from the bed. His manner and gait reminiscent of Jin's. He turns slowly to face you.

Roll initiative everybody.

Emperor Demonking
2017-09-01, 01:25 AM
An half-elf and a gnome were walking 50 ft from each other. One on the road leading to Portskeep, the other outside the wall tht surrounds parts of Portskeep. A wagon traveling at some speed recently passed the half-elf, but then it stopped. The gnome could see the wagon-driver take something from his pocket and then announce something. The half-elf could see a skeleton descend from the back of the wagon, a shortsword in its grip. As it goes around the wagon, it exits the view of the half-elf.

It enters the view of the gnome. The skeleton get to the wagon driver, and takes a swing from the ground. The blade returns bloody, and the wagon-driver loudly yelps.

OOC: The skeleton beat you in initiative, and that was his turn. So over to you. Ash is 30ft away. Jann is 20 ft away.

PH7
2017-09-01, 02:58 AM
Jann knew there was trouble just before the skeleton walked into view. He could tell because his cat rushed away to hide, leaving him alone. Seeing the tall, walking jumble of bones, he wasted no time either. Drawing forth the powers the Dragons had given him, he conjured a mist to disappear from sight. Then he moved closer to the wall, as quietly as he could.

2017-09-01, 01:42 PM
If not for the sword and shield at her side, the tall half-elven woman appears to be a wandering eccentric. She rides with an eye to the sky, observing the gibbous daytime moon at the horizon. "... eleven, twelve cycles," she mutters while counting on her fingers. The season of her departure has come again. Four months prior to that, she and her circle began encountering animals from afar. First, the birds. Then, the herds. "Corruption is coming," fearful whispers cried. "Fly with me!" The Council pondered this and charged them thus: "Go. Find and report the source of the scourge. Cure it if you can, but above all cleanse the land." Though they departed together, each gust of news caused the circle to sunder, and now Ash rides alone -- save for the cat and its gnome yonder.

"Brr-r-rr," Sebastian nickers gutterally. His nostrils flare and snort. His ears flick back and forth, agitated and searching. "Hmm?," Ash returns her gaze, and rubs her horse's neck reflexively. "Shh-shh-shh-shh," she soothes softly. "It's just another human, you see? He and his mule-friend are visiting the market as we did."

"G'day!" she crinkles her eyes and extends her palm to the driver cheerfully as she allows the cart to pass for this is how the humans greet each other. Ash glows at her own social prowess!

But the human's muffled cry cuts short her euphoria. Sebastian stops. Ash ***** her head to the side and mentally replays what she just heard. "Is he sick?" They wheel about and stop short as the skeleton's bloody blade turns to face them. Sebastian rears in fear, lashing at it with his hooves, warding it away. Ash jerks Sebastian away before the driver falls prey to collateral damage. "Sānōte" She removes her hand from her healing talisman, seizes the driver by his arm, and throws him across her lap. "Come with me if you want to live! (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ComeWithMeIfYouWantToLive)"

Rolls (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22344761&postcount=116)

Emperor Demonking
2017-09-01, 03:01 PM
The gnome vanishes as a mist apears. When the half-elf heals the wagon-driver, he appears shocked and angry but with his wounds knitted up. The great druid's pulling the driver to her lap draws no ill effect as the skeleton's opportunistic strike misses. It does not get to try again, as the horse's hooves breaks the skeleton's ribs to dust.

The dragon just speaks to himself in hostile tones, not evn looking at his rescuer. "They - they - they."

2017-09-01, 06:52 PM
Ash dismounts, lowers Mr. Dragon Driver to a sitting position, and then kneels down beside him. "Wa-waa-wa-waa? Wa-wa-wa-wa-waa? Wa-wa-wa-waa-wa? Wa-wa-wa-wawa-wa?" she queries in Elven and then in Common as she checks him for further injury. She examines the site of his wound, his pulse, his pupillary reaction, and respiratory rate. She has no idea what any of this means; she's just copying what she's seen actual healers do in this sort of situation.

"Are you hurt? What was that creature? Where did it come from? Why did it attack you?"

Satisfied with the driver's "health," she examines the skeleton's remains, its blade, the cart, and its contents. She confiscates any relevant evidence of undead scourge. "Hrm?" she stands up straight. Shading her eyes, she calls softly, "Sebastian?" She whistle quietly. "Where are you?"

Meanwhile, Sebastian's ears lay back, his lips in flehmen, and his eyes glow red in bloodlust as he hunts his next victim foe. Using the terrain for cover and approaching from downwind, he pounces!

Upon hearing Ash call his name, Sebastian snaps out of hunter-mode. He prances back and lays his adventure-bounty at her feet.

The druid greets her big buddy with playful rubbies to his head and nose, congratulating him on what a good job he's done. "Now, listen Sebastian. Listen!" she refocuses his attention. He straightens at attention. "We need to find where this... thing... came from." She presents the undead remains and other evidence. He sniffs it, nods, and resumes hunter-mode, snuffling all over before thrice clicking his teeth as he points where the scent trail leads.

Rolls (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22345561&postcount=120)

danielxcutter
2017-09-02, 12:23 AM
Rowan yelps and brings his blade down on the bearded man. I thought he was dead!

PH7
2017-09-02, 12:40 AM
Jann had been listening to the battle, such as it was, and had heard the unmistakable sound of breaking bones. Though he surmised it to be that of the skeleton, he was still surprised by the sudden appearance of a horse through the mist. Even more surprised was he when the beast grabbed him out of nowhere and carried him to its master.
Jann had seen the half-elf from a distance but she was even more impressive up close. She certainly was tall for an elf. Or was she just above average for a human? Jann hadn't been in these lands long enough to be sure. Also, he had more pressing concerns right now, his continued existence chief among them.

After being unceremoniously dropped in front of her, he timidly says, ""Uh...hello". His greeting is lost however, as she turned to her horse and tells him to find out where the skeleton came from.
"Hello", he tries again. "I am clearly not a skeleton. Nor is my cat, so please don't hurt her." After a brief pause he adds, "And uh...please don't hurt me either."

Emperor Demonking
2017-09-02, 01:59 AM
Rowan's hits true and statisfying. Although the man is terrifying state ith a hunk of flesh slashed off. It does not look like the bearded man wll stumble or even notice the flash missing.

Emperor Demonking
2017-09-02, 04:50 PM
The skeleton had come from the wagon. The wagon had come from a long while, apparently with the skeleton as cargo for all that time.

Although, the (human) wagon driver does look at Ash quizically, he doesn't object when she begins to search the area. None of the skeleton, cart or sword look peculiar. Its contents perhaps more so. There are several trunks of clothes, papers and knicknacks but also the odd weapon. There are also tents and other camping supplies.

There is also the corpse of a woman. She is wearing good quality light armour and is unarmed (and unmoving it might be worth mentioning) but is unremarkable looking.

---

Damian was returning to Portskeep. He was at the back of the cart guarding the small box containing the cargo that Damian had not been allowed to see. The gnome merchant had been agitated and alarmed when he hired Damian. Almost as if he had been forewarned of danger. Yet the journey thus far had been uneventful. Still, Portskeep was not yet in view.

Mikemical
2017-09-02, 11:05 PM
Damian continued to play with his shortsword, spinning it around in his hand with practiced ease, "How much further to Portskeep,
chief?" he asked the nervous gnome, stopping his fidgeting briefly. "I'd like to know if I'll be able to catch dinner at my mom's." he added in a jesting tone.

Emperor Demonking
2017-09-03, 02:10 AM
Without looking bck the gnome merchant replies to Damian's question, "Not too long. Still every minute -"

Indeed, the journey isn't long as you arrive at Portskeep. The sun is stll blazing in the sky. You enter through a sidentrance rather than the main gate, and the road is still mostly empty. The cart passes a mansion. And once it does it starts to enter the city proper. The roads narrow and become busier.

The gnome goes white as a crowd of gawkers block the road.

PeacefulOak
2017-09-03, 08:52 AM
Gyrtu Andusk

Brandishing his holy symbol, the small cleric yells at the undead creature. "In the name of the Dragons, FEAR ME!"

[roll0] Turning Check
[roll1] Turning Damage

Mikemical
2017-09-03, 09:16 AM
As the cart slowed down, Damian stood up, trying to catch a glimpse about what the conmotion was about, keeping a hand on the cargo.

Spot Check:
[roll0]

2017-09-03, 10:01 AM
Ash throws back the wagon's cover with sword and shield in hand ready to defend herself against whatever else might be inside, but nothing leaps out. Instead, she sees boxes, trunks, and a woman's body on the ground. "Oh, oh! Are you alright?" Ash exclaims. She leaps up on board. Her sword clatters to the floor as she checks for bloodstains.

If the woman does not rouse, Ash yells, "Wake up!" in the woman's ear, shakes her, and slaps the woman's cheek. Completely by accident, Ash will note whether the woman's skin feels cold to touch or is missing a skeleton. Ash angrily collects her weapon, shoves the driver within view of the woman at swordpoint, and demands with a nip of her blade, "What is the meaning of this?"

OR

If the woman does wake, Ash is so visibly relieved that she suffocates the woman's head with a bearhug and a healthy dose of cleavage. "I'm so glad you're not hurt! Your friend almost died by an accursed creature!" Ash describes what happened to the driver as she leads the woman outside in view of the driver. "Where did each of you come from?" After listening to their stories for a few minutes, Ash excuses herself to check the wagon for any more dangerous beasts. Inside, she notes the type of weapons found, the general topic of papers (any mention of undead is confiscated), and especially names, dates, and locations. After a while, Ash emerges, and calls for Sebastian.

-----

Once Sebastian arrives with Jann, the stitches in Ash's side become unbearable, and she bursts out laughing. "I apologize!" she waves, doubled over in mirth. "Oh, I shouldn't laugh. Sebastian does this sometimes." She offers Jann a hand to his feet, struggling to keep the giggles down. "In my homeland, we train horses to run down game. Sebastian gets confused from time to time." She rubs Sebastian's face endearingly. "Don't you, Sebastian?" she coos before collecting herself properly.

"My name is Ash," she introduces herself. "I am on a quest to rid the land of the undead scourge." She tells Jann what she knows of the driver, the woman, and the evidence recently uncovered. "Perhaps it would be prudent for us to travel together given what has recently transpired. What say you?"

Taking 20 (check total 20) on the search of the cart, which should happen eventually if not now.

Emperor Demonking
2017-09-03, 11:32 AM
The body does not rouse. The woman still has her bones. But is missing her life. There doesn't seem to be any bloodstans or blemishes.

The wagon-driver still seems sufficiently angered by the the skeleton attack to appreciate the irony of being manhandled by his savior. "She's my main cargo. I was hired to transport her corpse - and her stuff - to be buried in Portskeep."

---

Damian can see that there are to humans - appearing in their early tenties - preparing for fisticuffs. That is what the crowd is raring to see, the gnome yelps at Daman, "Move them will you? Every minute."

PH7
2017-09-03, 12:55 PM
Jann almost leaves the ground, so strong is the woman helping him up. The woman's demeanor leaves him momentarily speechless. He has never met a half elf before, much less a druid. As he is gathering his thoughts, his hand goes to run through his hair, as he is wont to do. He stops himself though, wondering if the gesture might be insulting to the bald woman.
"Well met, lady Ash, and thank you for saving us from that skeleton. I am Jann. I am here to...well, to gather information, I guess. I was shipped to these lands with little more than a few names and a vague mission to find out what I can. Oh, and with my cat familiar Nimue of course. Where did she run off...?"
As Jann starts to look around for his cat, he immediately spots her casually walking up to Sebastian. She jumps onto the horses' back and with a short 'meow' she lies down and starts purring. Through their empathic link, Jann feels a great smugness coming from the little striped ball of fur. Through clenched teeth he says, "Yes, thank you Nimue for showing me the 'correct' way to travel by horse. But you shouldn't just do that without permission." He turns back to Ash and says, "I apologize for her brazenness. I assure you she means no disrespect to your noble animal companion. If you would have us, we'd gladly accept your offer to travel together for a while."

Mikemical
2017-09-03, 01:24 PM
Damian shook his head, leaving his bag next to the gnome before dismounting the carriage. "Keep an eye out." he warned him before walking towards the source of the blockade. If there was a day in Portskeep where there wasn't a drunken brawl in the middle of the street, something was amiss. He made his way through the crowd and to the center where the two young men were preparing to fight. "What seems to be the problem here, fellas?" he asked to no one in particular.

Emperor Demonking
2017-09-03, 01:56 PM
The gnome nos and turns to look intently at the back of the cart. Damian asks a questionm to no one in particular, and no one answers him. It is possible that not even he knows. One man finally takes a shot at the other, but he misses.

Mikemical
2017-09-03, 03:10 PM
"Whoa, that's enough." Damian said, stepping into the fight to try to stop it, swords in hand in case any of them drew a weapon. "Look, I don't know or care what this is about, but I'm sure there's better ways to resolve this than knocking each other's teeth out and spending the night at the guardhouse." he says to the two young men.

(Rolls in the OOC) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=22350080#post22350080)

Emperor Demonking
2017-09-03, 03:35 PM
Damian's words fall on deaf ears. His steel, however, does not fall on blind eyes. One man flees. The crowd boos. Loudly and irritated.

Mikemical
2017-09-03, 04:07 PM
"Well, that's the end of that, I guess." Damian says before raising his voice. "Show's over folks, nothing to see here, everyone please go back to your business. You can wait till later tonight when probably someone will get kicked out of the Gleaming Gem." he says, twirling his shortsword before sheathing it, keeping the longer blade out, waiting for the crowd to disperse.

Emperor Demonking
2017-09-04, 08:57 AM
The crowd is not calmed by Damian's words. Nor do they disperse. One could get the idea that the crowd wants Damian beaten. its just that there isn't an individual willing to lay the beat down.

Mikemical
2017-09-04, 12:22 PM
Damian sighed, drawing his shortsword and twirling both blades around as he looked through the crowd. "You have until the count of five to scram before I start slicing and dicing." he warned them as he raised his weapons. "One."

[roll0]

Emperor Demonking
2017-09-04, 02:46 PM
The crowd muttering to themselves begin to disperse. Not looking at the sword-weilding man as they do.

---

The beared man seems to dismiss the kobold's efforts.

PallentisLunam
2017-09-04, 02:59 PM

Sal leaps forward and scoops the small black stone up in his palm. Rushing the zombie he thrusts his hand forward attempting to jam it back in the thing's mouth, not caring if he has to smash out its teeth to do so.

I'm guessing a strength roll?

[roll0]

2017-09-04, 03:05 PM
Ash blinks as if her own rashness slapped her face. She lowers her blade and sheaths it, willing herself to calm down. "Hmm," Ash struggles against her pride to articulate her words properly. "I apologize for the hasty insult to your person. It seems clear that it was undeserved."

"Tell me the young woman's story from the beginning as far as you know to whom in Portskeep you intend to deliver her."

"Tell me also who might have wanted to hurt you. The unliving are an affront to the living and must be stopped."

-----

Ask takes a seat by the side of the road so that she and Jann can speak eye-to-eye. Her demeanor seems crestfallen, almost ashamed. "Sebastian saw to the... skeleton, you say. He has trained all his life for battle and for the hunt, unlike my kind. I'm afraid the situation caught me off guard. I can't help but feel that I'm out of my depth."

Ash pauses, chuckles at her commiseration, and summons forth a well of perkiness. Intrigue crosses Ash's expression. "What kind of information are you looking for? Perhaps I can help."

Sebastian adores Ash's attention and praise. She's his best friend! So Nimue's new nest went unnoticed until his ears perked to a strange "meow" behind him. He turns around. Nothing. Searching ears gravitate... He whirls around again! "Aha!... Oh," He nickers. He turns around in place slowly, and faster, and faster. "There, just at the edge of his vision, a striped... orange... tail!" *whap!* Large and imposing Sebastian meets sugar pine moreso in every way. His knees buckle, and he melts to the ground fast asleep.

Emperor Demonking
2017-09-04, 03:32 PM
The bearded man seems to confidently bat away Sal's hand. However, when he attempts to retalitate against Sal the blow misses completely. He does not seem to mind however.

---

"Nobody should want ti kill me. Nobody. I don't know the woman. I was just hired to take her here. Once I got here I was to read this." The man hands the druid a note reading 'cow pink hair' "Then that skeleton attacked me. I was set up!"

danielxcutter
2017-09-04, 04:38 PM
"Rrrgh!" Rowan snarls, swinging his blade again.

Emperor Demonking
2017-09-04, 04:46 PM
The feirce blade fails to securely hit its target.

Mikemical
2017-09-04, 10:01 PM
Damian waited for the crowd to disperse before letting out a sigh of relief, "Good grief." he muttered to himself before heading to the gnome's cart, sheathing his weapons before boarding the back once more, flashing a smirk at the gnome as he slung his backpack on. "Every minute." he said, giving him a nod and a wave to continue their trip.

PH7
2017-09-04, 11:49 PM
Jann's hand once again goes to his hair. He frowns as he recalls the few names his grandaunt had given him. "Mostly I'm looking for information on groups called the 'Cold Iron Crowns' and the 'Waves'.
But then we heard rumours of undead and I figured I should figure out what I can about that as well. Wouldn't want that sort of danger to spread throughout the world without knowing what causes it."
He looks Ash in the eyes, despite the protestations of his neck. "What about you? Why are you so interested in the undead?"

Just wondering; can Jann at any point join in to listen to the wagon-driver's story?

2017-09-05, 02:23 AM
"Nobody should want ti kill me. Nobody. I don't know the woman. I was just hired to take her here. Once I got here I was to read this." The man hands the druid a note reading 'cow pink hair' "Then that skeleton attacked me. I was set up!" The hair on the back of Ash's neck bristles as if there were a predator about. "If this man is not the target, then who is? And, who benefits?" she growls to herself softly. She scans the area again, and her eyes settle on the magical mist. Ash's cheek twitches, and a look of disgust crosses her face.

"Who gave you the paper and the orders?" she insists out loud, returning from contemplation back to the Driver. "And where can I find them? They will answer for this crime if I can help it."

----

Ash squints as she racks her memory. "I know nothing of 'Crowns' and 'Waves;' although, I am familiar with that which you call Cold Iron." *shink!* Ash draws a weighted throwing dart from her belt sash and offers it for examination. Basic and unadorned, it seems rather ordinary. "These are anathema to capricious nature spirits. My people make them." She glows with pride and a twinge of loss.

"The undead have disrupted nature's balance. My people have felt the ripple, and I am to cleanse this scourge. But truth be told, I would much rather return home."

@PH7: I don't see any reason why not. Jann's there. It'll be tricky to match up the timelines, but it doesn't need to be perfect.

Sense Motive on Driver [roll0] telling the truth?

Spot [roll1] & Listen [roll2] vs other enemies

Emperor Demonking
2017-09-05, 07:58 AM
Jann and Ash's conversation ends. When Ash listens to the driver's words and there does not seem to be any hints of insincerity. As she watches for people coming and before the driver can speak, two men do come out. They are well-armoured and well-equipped, their bearing and posture are very good. One cries out, "City watch! We saw it from the wall. We'll take it from here."

The second man sidles up next to Ash and Jann and instructs the driver, "Name!"

"Ranton Smitt." is the reply.

---

The gnome driver nods in return and they set off through the thinning crowd. The sun is beginning to get dimmer, when they stop inside a stable, the gnome merchant picks up his package and pays his rent to the stable-owner. Expecting Damian to follow, he sets off walking until he gets to a non-descript house and knocks.

PH7
2017-09-05, 08:35 AM
"Jann Auken", the gnome promptly replies. In a mumble he adds, "Sorry, I thought the question was directed to all three of us."

Mikemical
2017-09-05, 10:06 AM
Damian followed the gnome, trying not to walk too close behind him. He took a look around, cracking his knuckles before he drew his shortsword and started to play with it once more while they waited outside the house. "So, what's the big mystery? You got a headsman's handiwork in there?" Damian asked the gnome in a joking tone.

PeacefulOak
2017-09-05, 10:43 AM
Gyrtu Andusk

"Fine then, die again!" Gyrtu levels his crossbow and fires at close range!

[roll0] to hit for [roll1] damage, and move back towards the door.

Emperor Demonking
2017-09-05, 01:31 PM
The gnome gives a loud single honk at the speculation, "Not this one."

The door is opened by an elderly gnomish lady. "Come in. You too, guardsman. I shall give you your gold, and I have a proposition to make."

--

The bolt reveals more bone as it bashes off a little muscle. Still, the man does not falter.

PallentisLunam
2017-09-05, 02:27 PM

With a curse Sal casts the stone away and draws one of his remaining knives. He lunges at the monstrosity hacking savagely. In his rage he fumbles with the blade and trips over his own feet causing his swipe to go far wide of its mark.

Attack roll: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]

Emperor Demonking
2017-09-05, 02:41 PM
The bearded man's attack retaliates against Sal again. Again his blow fails to land.

danielxcutter
2017-09-05, 04:22 PM
Rowan swings his blade yet again.

[roll0] [roll1]

Mikemical
2017-09-05, 08:49 PM
"With your permission..." Damian politely bowed his head before following behind his companion. He took a moment to detail the house's interior once inside.

2017-09-05, 10:44 PM
The city watch's whirlwind appropriation of the situation leaves Ash flustered. At any moment, she's about to interject, but nothing escapes her lips. Angry at herself as much as at them, she crosses her arms, pouts, and storms off in her original direction.

Sebastian snuggles with Nimue fast asleep under a tree.

Emperor Demonking
2017-09-06, 01:40 AM
Rowan's blade to get any pull on the man's flash, deflecting harmlessly upon bones.

---

Damian finds the walls of the hallway painted a yellow-green colour. There is a hatstand and coat stand, and the floors are carpeted green. Entering the first door on his left, there is a roaring fire. The room is a dull yellow on wall and floor. Around the fire and three comfy-looking chairs and a sofa.

"Are you looking for work?" Says the woman as she sits. The man has gone off somewhere.

Mikemical
2017-09-06, 08:06 AM
"Looking for someone, actually." Damian said as he approached one of the chairs. "Though making a little coin here and there doesn't hurt." he smiled the lady's way before he asked. "Do you mind if I don't sit? The trip was long, and I'd like to stretch my legs."

Emperor Demonking
2017-09-07, 08:12 AM
"Very well." Says the gnomish woman, as the gnomish wagon-driver comes back to give Damian five gold pieces.

"I sent for my friend to bring somebody from away because my task involves dealing with the Crowns. They are a criminal group. mostly they do not matter. or at least not outside Portskeep. However, they have a branch - The Cold Iron Crowns - who are working for some group or some being to do all manners of terrible acts. That being or group has tendrils on every continent. However, Portskeep seems to be the belly of the beast. I wish to hire you to assist my great-nephew in this investigation."

---

One of the men gives a humourless smile at the gnome sorcerer at the error, as his compratriot begins to lead horse, cart and driver away.

PeacefulOak
2017-09-07, 02:49 PM
Gyrtu Andusk

Snarling, the kobold drops his crossbow and readies his spear, stabbing at the zombie!

[roll0] to hit for [roll1] damage

Emperor Demonking
2017-09-07, 03:10 PM
The zombie bearded man does not seem to notice as the spears goes into him and is pulled out. Nor does he respond to the voice outside, "The windows smashed! Draw your blades bid. It seems that we have company."

Mikemical
2017-09-07, 04:30 PM
"I would love to help, lady, but there is one problem." Damian accepted his payment, keeping one coin in his hand and rolling it around his fingers. "I'm from Portskeep myself, born and raised. My family still lives here." he explained his situation. "Much as I would like to put a stop to the Crowns, them going after my family isn't something I want to risk happening, unless their safety was guaranteed."

PallentisLunam
2017-09-07, 11:14 PM

"We need to go!" Sal insists delivering a stout kick to the bearded man's knee and then dashing towards the doorway.

Trip attempt. Provokes an AoO
Melee Touch Attack: [roll0]
Strength Check Opposed by Strength or Dexterity: [roll1]

Emperor Demonking
2017-09-08, 01:37 AM
As Sal invests himself in his kick, the bearded man manages to land a square blow upon him. The rouge falls into unconsciousness.

Sal took five damage from the AoO.

----

The old gnomish lady chuckles to herself on her bad luck, "You have a large family? Father, mother, many siblings?"

danielxcutter
2017-09-08, 01:43 AM
Rowan almost runs to the doorway himself, but sees the zombie fell "Dirk".

For a second, the image of his uncle, on the ground while a cloaked figure stabbed down at him overlapped with the prostate rogue. His grip on his sword tightened so hard, his knuckles grew white. The ranger put all his might into one more swing, letting out a feral "Rragh!"

[roll0] [roll1]

Emperor Demonking
2017-09-08, 02:01 AM
The zombie is smashed to the ground by the slash of the blade. It is animated no longer.

Theresa second windy from outside, and the sound of breaking glass.

danielxcutter
2017-09-08, 02:04 AM
"Heal him, please." Rowan said to the kobold. At the sound of breaking glass, he whirls to see what's the problem now.

Emperor Demonking
2017-09-08, 04:34 AM
The broken glass was muffled by the time it got to you. It seems to have come from the same place as the whinny.

Mikemical
2017-09-08, 07:41 AM
"My mother and sister." he answered, preferring not to go into much detail. "Why?"

Emperor Demonking
2017-09-08, 07:56 AM
The gnomish lady sighs a little at Damian's question, "frankly by coming into my apartments I worry that we - you and I - have endangered your family as much you would by working for me. We have many agents abroad so it is not as if your leaving Portskeep can be seen as divorcing our interests. I wonder, therefore, if perhaps your mother and sister would be interested in being put abroad. Until I can ensure the fixing of the Cold Iron Crown situation and Portskeep is safe again."

--

As Ash and Jann walk along the road, they see the wagon disappear not far away into the walled enclave of a large building. Once they get to that building and its open iron gates, they see a heavily-ladened mule run out chased by two men similar to the two watchmen but with swords drawn.

PH7
2017-09-08, 09:46 AM
Jann sees the running mule and acts as fast as he can, all the while hoping his immediate assessment is a correct one. He draws upon the power of the Dragons and casts a harmless spell on the creature, in an effort to stop its dash.

Daze on the mule; DC 13

PeacefulOak
2017-09-08, 10:04 AM
Gyrtu Andusk

Slinging his spear back into its holster and recovering his crossbow, Gyrtu moves over to the fallen rogue.

"I told him... let's see."

[roll0] Heal check to stabilize so we can get out of here!

Emperor Demonking
2017-09-08, 10:14 AM
Sal is still unconscious although the bleeding has stopped.

---

The mule stops as the blast of colour strikes its face. Its eyes go odd, and despite it no longer running it seems as if it is more alarmed.

PeacefulOak
2017-09-08, 11:20 AM
Gyrtu Andusk

Looking up at the imposing man with the oversized sword. "Pick him up! Gotta go, gotta go! Run run run!"

With that, the kobold pauses to reload his crossbow before dashing out of the room, looking towards the stairs to see if the path out of the house is clear.

Mikemical
2017-09-08, 11:53 AM
Damian put a hand to his chin, deep in thought. "There's a familial friend of ours in Kracbat. He could take them in without arousing much suspicion. We often went there to visit when I was younger." he offered a possible location. "I would have to talk to them, but only if I have your word they'll be seen to their destination safely, miss..." he trailed off, allowing the gnomish old woman to properly introduce herself.