PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A How do liquid pain/distilled joy spells work?

TheFurith
2017-06-25, 07:03 AM
It's the length of the spell casting that makes it all rather confusing. I do know the ways one can exploit them, but I'm trying to figure out exact how the actual spell works.

If I'm reading it correctly the subject must be in pain/pleasure for twenty four hours straight while you remain touching them. For a spell component worth 200g. Making them literally the most impractical spells I've seen. You pretty much can't use them without jumping through more hoops than it's worth.

However. By permanent does it mean the spell is now permanently on the target and can be exploited as needed? Or that the extraction is permanent. Which if it is I don't know why they'd bother to specify that it is in it's duration like that. Usual creations would say instantaneous. Referring to the spell be instantaneous but the item created being permanent.

Or, does one just have to touch the person who is already in pain/pleasure just once, and then can continue casting the spell as needed without needing to remain in constant contact.

Other than being poorly written, what is going on with these spells?

Necroticplague
2017-06-25, 09:03 AM
If I'm reading it correctly the subject must be in pain/pleasure for twenty four hours straight while you remain touching them. For a spell component worth 200g. Making them literally the most impractical spells I've seen. You pretty much can't use them without jumping through more hoops than it's worth.
Yep, you've got that right. That's why there's a magic item that does it for you.

Also, as to the value: it's more useful as a crafting component than a spell component. Gold is easy enough to make, XP without risk is harder. This let's one safely churn out magic items without blowing XP.

However. By permanent does it mean the spell is now permanently on the target and can be exploited as needed? Or that the extraction is permanent. Which if it is I don't know why they'd bother to specify that it is in it's duration like that. Usual creations would say instantaneous. Referring to the spell be instantaneous but the item created being permanent. Permanent means that the Liquid Pain created doesn't disappear after a bit. You're right, it should have been Instantaneous, that's WOTC's writing for you.