PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Advice: Do these buffed undead make the Animate Dead OP?

ImSAMazing
2017-06-25, 09:46 AM
Hey guys,

I have decided to buff both the standard zombie and the standard skeleton by one step of CR increase(1/4 to 1/2). I made them in the Homebrewery software, see this link to go to it:
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/H1JTSH67b

I basically did the following:
Both get one more Hit Dice, an increase in their most important physical stat and constitution, and a decrease in the mental stats. This bumps their challenge rating from 1/4 to 1/2, like they should in my opinion.

Do these buffs turn Animate Dead into an spell that is disproportinally stronger than non-casters of equal level(at lvl 5)?

One of my players thinks it does, so that's why I am asking.

Amnoriath
2017-06-25, 10:15 AM
Hey guys,

I have decided to buff both the standard zombie and the standard skeleton by one step of CR increase(1/4 to 1/2). I made them in the Homebrewery software, see this link to go to it:
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/H1JTSH67b

I basically did the following:
Both get one more Hit Dice, an increase in their most important physical stat and constitution, and a decrease in the mental stats. This bumps their challenge rating from 1/4 to 1/2, like they should in my opinion.

Do these buffs turn Animate Dead into an spell that is disproportinally stronger than non-casters of equal level(at lvl 5)?

One of my players thinks it does, so that's why I am asking.

Personally the Zombie is probably a CR of 1 as the auto grapple provides instant control and it has as much health as a Brown bear. I can't figure out what the saving throw is based off since there isn't a 10 in your stats and it will probably be more(either a 14 or 13, strong). As its base 3rd level spell at level5, no it does not. Conjure Animals summon a total(your choice) CR of 2 for animals. It does have its advantages as you don't concentrate on it and lasts for 24 hours. That being said a level 5 Wizard can control 2 of these at a time(highest slot and Arcane Recovery). When the spell is used at higher levels and slot levels when things start getting dangerous. When just using 3 level 5 slots you got 15 of these guys running around without concentration.

Zman
2017-06-28, 08:41 PM
I'm doing a MM expansion/partial overwrite and what I'm planning having a weaker version of undead specifically for Animate dead, then other stronger versions.

The difference between a freshly raised Animate Dead zombie and one that's been waiting dedicated in a descritated place of power etc.

This way you don't affect the power of the spell, but get better zombies.

I'm also going to do a Zombie Swarm to represent hoarded better.

Ziegander
2017-06-28, 10:36 PM
If you were actually just increasing the hit dice and combat stats, even then, yeah, it probably makes Animate Dead a little strong. Just giving Zombies, for example, 12 additional hit points and +2 to attack and damage rolls, that's pretty significant (not to mention that +1 to its Undead Fortitude save). But you also gave your undead new and better offensive abilities in Skeletal Time Bomb (based on what inspiration?) and auto-grapple + Eat Brain (an ability that, suspiciously, doesn't eat brains).

Now, if you just think that zombies and skeletons are too weak, I get that, and I think with zombies anyway, you're at least taking some steps in sensible, thematic directions. But if you're upgrading them specifically to upgrade Animate Dead, then I think you've gone too far.

For Zombies, my suggestions would be the following:

Str 16, Dex 5, Con 18, Int 3, Wis 3, Cha 3

Damage Resistances: Bludgeoning, Necrotic

Auto-grapple becomes a bonus action option the zombie can take if it hits with the Slam allowing a bonus action Athletics check.

Eat Brains becomes "Bite: Melee, one grappled target; 1d3+3 piercing damage. The target must succeed on a DC 14 Constitution save or become Poisoned for 1 hour. If the target becomes Poisoned in this way, then every 10 minutes the target must make a new Constitution saving throw. After three failures the target dies and rises as a zombie 10 minutes later. After three successes the target is no longer Poisoned."

For Skeletons, my suggestions would be:

Str 5, Dex 16, Con 15, Int 1, Wis 8, Cha 1

Damage Vulnerabilities: Bludgeoning, Radiant
Damage Resistances: Fire, Piercing, Slashing
Damage Immunities: Cold, Electricity, Necrotic, Poison

New Ability: "Chill of the Grave: At the end of each of the Skeleton's turns, each living creature within 5 feet of it is dealt 1 cold damage and 1 necrotic damage. Any creatures grappling the Skeleton are instead dealt 1d3 cold damage and 1d3 necrotic damage."