PDA

View Full Version : Advance Monster

Yklikt
2017-06-25, 01:04 PM
Can add class level then HD?

hamishspence
2017-06-25, 01:11 PM
Can't see why not. Classic example - dragon takes levels in sorcerer (which stack with its own racial casting) - those don't stop it from continuing to age, grow, and gain HD.

Yklikt
2017-06-25, 01:14 PM
Yeah was thinking like that but also I have heard some say it is not legal.

FreddyNoNose
2017-06-25, 01:15 PM
Yeah was thinking like that but also I have heard some say it is not legal.

Check with the DM.

Are you the DM?

It works!

Yklikt
2017-06-25, 01:18 PM
I'm not talking about DM rule I mean what rules is in the books

Zakerst
2017-06-25, 01:26 PM
Some monsters advance by class some by HD which monster are you referring to?

Yklikt
2017-06-25, 01:28 PM
Some can do both which is what kind I am describing

hamishspence
2017-06-25, 01:28 PM
It's only if you're using Savage Species Monster Classes that being unable to take PC classes is called out as a thing - those rules reduce the monster's hit dice to 1, they take "Monster levels" and they can't take a PC class until they've taken all their Monster Levels.

Yklikt
2017-06-25, 01:29 PM
I know how savage species is.

What I mention is some have said if you take class level you cannot get more Monster HD afterward

Zakerst
2017-06-25, 01:30 PM
Some can do both which is what kind I am describing

Which specific monster?
For example a barghast has a built in feature to add HD at any point.
But generally speaking you would advance either as a monster or as a class part of the reason being monsters of different HD may have different level adjustments and abilities so recalculating based on those two things would be a mess. Likewise class levels are almost always better than HD so I don't know why you would want to advance by HD if you didn't have to.

Yklikt
2017-06-25, 02:49 PM
Which specific monster?
For example a barghast has a built in feature to add HD at any point.
But generally speaking you would advance either as a monster or as a class part of the reason being monsters of different HD may have different level adjustments and abilities so recalculating based on those two things would be a mess. Likewise class levels are almost always better than HD so I don't know why you would want to advance by HD if you didn't have to.

But you can. Like wizard is better than fighter but sometimes you want fighter.

Zakerst
2017-06-25, 02:59 PM
But you can. Like wizard is better than fighter but sometimes you want fighter.

Yes but you would take fighter over a monster HD if you had the option. The only exception I can think of off hand is outsider and dragon all others have some better class you could be instead. Now could you please give us the specific case you're looking at?
Off the top of my head I cannot think of any monster where the entry gives you the option to advance as either a class or by HD they say one or the other.
In theory I see no reason why a monster couldn't go back to advancing by HD but unless it's a player character I can't think of a reason to do so other than to try and sneak into a higher LA monster without paying for the LA... and I'm not convinced it would help as they would just have the new LA to go with it

Yklikt
2017-06-26, 12:06 AM
You don't understand. I am not asking whether it is a good idea. I am just trying to see if what I proposing is legal.

Yklikt
2017-06-26, 02:43 AM
For example this quote

You've intermixed advancement by HD and advancement by class levels, which the DMG specifically says you shouldn't do.

Like I want to know where this is stated in DmG.

Daedroth
2017-06-26, 05:46 AM
Improving Monsters

Each of the monster entries describes a typical creature of its kind. However, there are several methods by which extraordinary or unique monsters can be created using a typical creature as the foundation: by adding character classes, increasing a monster’s Hit Dice, or by adding a template to a monster. These methods are not mutually exclusive—it’s possible for a monster with a template to be improved by both increasing its Hit Dice and adding character class levels.

You can do it