PDA

View Full Version : Warforged / Living constructs and Antilife shell

curious-puzzle
2017-06-25, 06:38 PM
Has anyone ever seen a ruling on whether or not creatures with the Living Construct are affected by Antilife Shell? I believe RAW they would be unaffected, but the subtype didn't exist when they wrote the spell.

My google-fu really didn't bring up much, so anything people have seen would be appreciated, thanks!

ngilop
2017-06-25, 06:44 PM
Has anyone ever seen a ruling on whether or not creatures with the Living Construct are affected by Antilife Shell? I believe RAW they would be unaffected, but the subtype didn't exist when they wrote the spell.

My google-fu really didn't bring up much, so anything people have seen would be appreciated, thanks!

I am unsure of your confusion..
the Living construct temple very clearly says

Living constructs can be affected by spells that target living creatures as well as by those that target constructs. Damage dealt to a living construct can be healed by a cure light wounds spell or a repair light damage spell, for example, and a living construct is vulnerable to a harm spell. However, spells from the healing subschool provide only half effect to a living construct.

SO....

since living constructs are treated as living creatures by spells that target living creatures and anti-life shell TOTALLY hedges out living creatures I am unsure of how that's not a simple if A then B?

curious-puzzle
2017-06-26, 12:52 AM
Except Warforged are not humanoids, they're construct (living constructs). Constructs are not affected, but the "affected as living creatures" line throws a wrench into it. Going just off the wording, antilife shell doesn't work on them.

You bring into being a mobile, hemispherical energy field that prevents the entrance of most types of living creatures.

The effect hedges out animals, aberrations, dragons, fey, giants, humanoids, magical beasts, monstrous humanoids, oozes, plants, and vermin, but not constructs, elementals, outsiders, or undead.

This spell may be used only defensively, not aggressively. Forcing an abjuration barrier against creatures that the spell keeps at bay collapses the barrier.

I'm just curious if there was any clarification or specific wording in regards to living construct.

Psyren
2017-06-26, 02:01 AM
"most types of living creatures" sums it up, the shell doesn't get all of them. The specific kind of life in a Living Construct is able to get through, just like Outsiders (who are also alive) can do so.