PDA

View Full Version : Build: Elvish Barbarian

Easy_Lee
2017-06-25, 07:29 PM
A lot of folks like the idea of an Elven barbarian, myself included. There's something cool about it, perhaps the contradictory images. Let's build one together.

Specifications

Create the best possible striker type with Elf in the name that fits the barbarian theme
Build should come online by Level 10 or earlier, for maximum play-ability
No magic allowed, otherwise it's not a barbarian
Strength-focused - while there's certainly something to be said for a dual-scimitar elven barbarian, the damage and lower synergy with the barbarian class prohibit it
More offense is always better than more defense - because flavor

What I have so far:

Point-buy: 15/15/15/8/8/8. A barbarian accepts no substitutes
Half-elf: +1 to Strength and Constitution, bringing both to 16
Sword Coast Adventures Half-elf Variant: Mask of the Wild or Fleet of Foot in place of Skill Versatility (who needs skills when you have an enormous axe?)
Elven Accuracy (UA Feats for Races): when you have advantage, you can reroll one of the attack dice. Also brings Dexterity to 16, extra AC and initiative
2 Barbarian: Rage, Unarmored Defense, Reckless Attack, Danger Sense
6 Fighter (Champion): Fighting Style (Great Weapon), Second Wind, Action Surge, Improved Critical, Extra Attack, 2 ASI's
Great Weapon Mastery: obvious reasons
Greataxe: because fluff, also tied as best weapon for crits

What can we do to further optimize this?

Corran
2017-06-25, 08:31 PM
So.... is paladin, bard and warlock excluded?
ps: Have a look here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?524136-Elven-accuracy-Melee-optimization) in the meantime in case it helps.

Easy_Lee
2017-06-25, 10:51 PM
So.... is paladin, bard and warlock excluded?
ps: Have a look here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?524136-Elven-accuracy-Melee-optimization) in the meantime in case it helps.

Looks like that thread pretty well covered it. Thanks, I hadn't seen that thread.

If we're including casters, then a hexblade or paladin dip are the optimal ways to get the most out of crits. Otherwise, the ways to go while still following the gist of the thread are:

Barb 2 / Champion X, comes online by level 7 and goes from there. This build will end up getting the most consistent crits, ending with an 18-20 range, although there will be no extra bonuses to crit damage.
Barbarian 9 / Champion 11: has expanded crit range and expanded crit damage. This build would probably start the same way, working toward 5 fighter / 2 barbarian, then likely going for fighter 11 and barbarian 9 from there.
Some combination of barbarian and rogue, possibly with champion thrown in: gets extra sneak attack dice on a crit. Downside to this build is that its damage is less consistent. If sneak attack is denied, it hits like a wet noodle. And unlike a pure rogue, it has fewer ways to deal with that. I wouldn't consider this build because it has the same problems as the Assassin / Paladin builds of yore.

I wanted to see whether I'd missed some crucial feat, race, or tactic. According to that thread, it doesn't look like it. I just didn't take my build to 20 (to me, taking a build that far is unrealistic in most campaigns - how much play actually happens at 20?)

djreynolds
2017-06-26, 01:11 AM
A lot of folks like the idea of an Elven barbarian, myself included. There's something cool about it, perhaps the contradictory images. Let's build one together.

Specifications

Create the best possible striker type with Elf in the name that fits the barbarian theme
Build should come online by Level 10 or earlier, for maximum play-ability
Strength-focused - while there's certainly something to be said for a dual-scimitar elven barbarian, the damage and lower synergy with the barbarian class prohibit it
More offense is always better than more defense - because flavor

What I have so far:

Point-buy: 15/15/15/8/8/8. A barbarian accepts no substitutes
Half-elf: +1 to Strength and Constitution, bringing both to 16
Sword Coast Adventures Half-elf Variant: Mask of the Wild or Fleet of Foot in place of Skill Versatility (who needs skills when you have an enormous axe?)
Elven Accuracy (UA Feats for Races): when you have advantage, you can reroll one of the attack dice. Also brings Dexterity to 16, extra AC and initiative
2 Barbarian: Rage, Unarmored Defense, Reckless Attack, Danger Sense
6 Fighter (Champion): Fighting Style (Great Weapon), Second Wind, Action Surge, Improved Critical, Extra Attack, 2 ASI's
Great Weapon Mastery: obvious reasons
Greataxe: because fluff, also tied as best weapon for crits

What can we do to further optimize this?

You know I think battle master here would serve a better purpose, or really any of the fighters like cavalier or scout or monster hunter who have access to precision

Monster hunter gives precision and some save boons and you can spend extra SD for damage if you want vs certain monster types

Scout could be sweet as you could add SD to your athletics or stealth checks and has precision, and it has that "special parry" maneuver also

Cavalier could has precision as well, for flavor purposes you could have been part of an elven cavalry

I like precision and GWM, adding 1d8 to your roll makes sure you stick GWM. I know you want that crit, but that +10 damage is to good to pass on

And all 4 archetypes provide precision and something else

As for champion, IMO, unless you are shooting for that level 15 ability, grab 3-4 champion (improved cit and feat) and leave it as barbarian 9 starts brutal critical

Balyano
2017-06-26, 02:06 AM

So either has to be a wood elf or a half elf and can't be a totem barbarian? Cause those three things get magic.

djreynolds
2017-06-26, 03:06 AM
There are 2 kinds of elf barbarian

1 We live in the woods and are cut off from society

2 Or how society fell into ruin, I got lost from the main army stuff.

So I like the idea of number 2, and I know you said no magic... but its cantrips or misty step

I like the idea of beginning as a fighter/paladin, I like the idea that this guy/gal once had plate armor... but all that is left is the breast plate

I really want mounted combatant but it is too limited campaign wise.

I'm beginning as an Eladrin Fighter 15/13/15/8/10/10

1st Fighter, archery style (because he didn't know he was going to be a barbarian)

3rd battlemaster or cavalier (part of a fancy standing army)

4th GWM

6th elven accuracy 15/16/15/9/10/10

8th 16/16/16/9/10/10

here is where the moon fell into the earth and strange mutants roamed the land and "Thundar the Barbarian" was born

9th barbarian

10th barbarian- reckless attack

AC16 16/16/16/9/10/10 archery style, GWM, Elven accuracy, athletics +6/ history & religion +2/ perception +3/ persuasion +3/ Animal Handling(from cavalier)+3

Also knight or samurai fighter archetypes could also be very cool, and ancestor barbarian would fit in well with these.

Arkhios
2017-06-26, 03:27 AM
I present to you - Whirlwind of Blades:

Wood Elf Totem Warrior (Speed 35 ft)
Str 15, Dex 17, Con 15, Int 8, Wis 9, Cha 8

Totems:
@3: Elk (speed 50 ft while raging)
@6: Elk (travel pace doubled)
@14: Eagle (while raging, flight equal to your speed)

ASI/feats:
@4: +1 Str, +1 Con (16 each)
@8: Mobile (speed 45 ft; 60 ft while raging)
@12: +2 Str (18)
@16: +1 Dex, +1 Wis (18, 10)
@19: +2 Str (20)
@20: +4 Str, +4 Con (24, 20)

Weapons: Two Scimitars (note: being finesse does NOT require using dexterity)

Funny thing about Mobile is that the third benefit isn't limited to one target per round. With Extra Attack and Two-Weapon Fighting, you could wade through 3 separate targets, recklessly attacking once each, and flee from their reach.

As a bonus, if you played in Eberron, Elk totem could as well be a Horse, and the character would fit perfectly as a Valenar elf.

Ps. I chose totem warrior despite it getting a handful of spells as ritual because they are useless in combat and while raging.

Easy_Lee
2017-06-26, 08:07 AM
I present to you - Whirlwind of Blades:

Wood Elf Totem Warrior (Speed 35 ft)
Str 15, Dex 17, Con 15, Int 8, Wis 9, Cha 8

Totems:
@3: Elk (speed 50 ft while raging)
@6: Elk (travel pace doubled)
@14: Eagle (while raging, flight equal to your speed)

ASI/feats:
@4: +1 Str, +1 Con (16 each)
@8: Mobile (speed 45 ft; 60 ft while raging)
@12: +2 Str (18)
@16: +1 Dex, +1 Wis (18, 10)
@19: +2 Str (20)
@20: +4 Str, +4 Con (24, 20)

Weapons: Two Scimitars (note: being finesse does NOT require using dexterity)

Funny thing about Mobile is that the third benefit isn't limited to one target per round. With Extra Attack and Two-Weapon Fighting, you could wade through 3 separate targets, recklessly attacking once each, and flee from their reach.

As a bonus, if you played in Eberron, Elk totem could as well be a Horse, and the character would fit perfectly as a Valenar elf.

Ps. I chose totem warrior despite it getting a handful of spells as ritual because they are useless in combat and while raging.

That's interesting. I wonder if it'd be possible to fit Elven Accuracy in there somewhere.

Arkhios
2017-06-26, 08:39 AM
That's interesting. I wonder if it'd be possible to fit Elven Accuracy in there somewhere.

Sure, in place of one increase to strength, for example. It's just 1 point for attack and damage rolls.

Alternatively, if you don't think you'll want to increase dexterity to 18, start with Str 15, Dex 16, Con 15, Int 8, Wis 11, Cha 8, and @16th level, take Elven Accuracy instead of increasing dex and wis.

GlenSmash!
2017-06-26, 05:40 PM
The Commando Barbarian

Point-buy: 15/14/13/8or9/13/8or9. Needs a 13 in Wis for the Ranger Multiclass
Half-elf: +1 to Strength and Constitution for 16/14/14/8or9/13/10or11
Sword Coast Adventures Half-elf Variant: Fleet of Foot. Mobility is key on this guy.

2 Barbarian: Rage, Unarmored Defense, Reckless Attack, Danger Sense, Constitution save proficiency
(optional) 2 Fighter for Action Surge.
8 Revised Ranger-Spell-less (Despstalker Conclave): Advantage on Initiative, Advantage on First round of Attacks, and can ignore difficult terrain, Dash as a bonus action, Deepstalker gives a free attack and 10ft of movement on that first turn in combat, better Darkvision, and some free spells (ignore those).
Necessary feats:
Great Weapon Mastery: To maximize on the free Advantage at the beginning of combat.
Mobile: Extra movement, and not provoking OAs are key.
Optional Feats at Higher levels:
Elven accuracy: To get the most out of Advantage, which this build has a lot of.
Athlete: Costs less movement to stand up from prone. Explained down below.
Equipment:
Greatsword: Elves like swords right? Really any Heavy weapon of your choice.
Best Medium Armour you can find: Sorry you don't have the stat's for Naked Barbarianing.

Theme: These's elves strike fast and hard then are gone before they enemies even know what hit them.

How it Works:

The idea is to get the most out of that first round of combat, and then get out of there. You'll have 55 feet of movement in that first turn. Get in and get 3 attacks thanks to Deepstalker. You'll have advantage on them due to Natural Explorer, so use the -5/+10 from GWM on each one. If possible spread the damage around among as many foes as you can. That's also 6 chances to get a crit for GWM bonus action attack, but you might not want to use it, I'll explain in a bit. If you went Fighter be sure and Action Surge in that round for more attacks with free advantage.

Ideally you'll annihilate this group of foes and look for more victims. If not, use the rest of your 55ft of movement to beeline it out of there. Anybody you took a swing at won't be able to make an OAs against you. If you haven't used your bonus action yet, use it to Dash (thanks to Revised Ranger 8) and enjoy 45ft more of movement out of there. Try and get so far away that they'll have to Dash to get to you, then they can't use the attack action :smallbiggrin:

Next round you Reckless Attack for more advantage, then rinse and repeat. You'll be able to lay out a bunch of damage, and they won't be able to hit you back at all. If you're ever stuck,, Rage is you panic button, mostly for the Defensive benefits. Consider going another level for Bear Totem resistance.

If you're enemies have decent Ranged attacks, the kiting technique won't be as effective. Consider sticking it out and using your bonus action for Rage, and on GWM attacks on subsequent rounds. Going Fighter 3 for Champion expanded crits wouldn't be crazy here. Although you can just drop prone and give enemies disadvantage on Ranged attacks, but that eats up movement. The Athlete feat wold go a long way to making sure you still have a lot of movement in that scenario.

Note: This works all fine with a Ranger's spells, but to fit the scenario in the thread were going Spell-less Ranger. Tripping Attack is also great for making sure your foes have to use half their movement to stand up before chasing after you.