PDA

View Full Version : Steam Summer Sale: what should I get

Baby Gary
2017-06-25, 11:05 PM
Hi all, as you know the steam summer sale (SSS) in on but I don't know what games to get. I would like any suggestions about what game to get because I can't think of any. however there are some restrictions because I am not 18 yet and I have a mom, I cannot get any first person shooter games period, but I think I can make an argument for 3rd person shooters. I like most games, there is no price cap, the game I have the most hours in is Skyrim, I would sorta like to get a MMO, and if there are any games that are not on steam but you think I should still get I wouldn't mind you telling me, after all I just really want some new games.

Spore
2017-06-26, 09:07 AM
Morrowind: great game world, soundtrack holds up. Graphics not so much as this is early 3D.
Oblivion: a more classical RPG world, feels more alive than Morrowind, better options than in Skyrim
Fallout New Vegas: Great RPG, many factions, many ways to solve problems, compelling story
Fallout 4: newest installment, but pretty much sandbox plus weird setup. Play the main story until the Prydwen shows up because otherwise 80% of questlines stay locked. (Imagine prior to the Dragonborn's meeting with the Greybeards all factions and war quests were locked off) Also majorly a looting simulator.
Fallout 3: Good RPG, just feels a bit empty and barebonesy
any Borderlands: I am not fond of the humor and the gameplay is MMO-like. But many people love it.
Deus Ex Human Revolution Directors Cut (don't get the normal version unless you want your stealth character to suck in the boss battles, it also adds a chapter in a secret base in Antarctica)
Ducktales Remastered: If you have never experienced NES/Gameboy Ducktales and like decent Jump and Runs you should take this. The story segments are fun but I got annoyed by the regular breaks in gameplay.
Fable 1-3: Many people dont like Fable 3. I like it but you should not expect too much. It's like "my first RPG" except with a cool if not deep story.
Legacy of Kain: Defiance: The finale of Legacy of Kain. You should play Soul Reaver 1+2 first but I don't really like SR 1.
Mass Effect 2+3: I just hate ME 1 gameplay.
Metal Gear Rising Revengeance: It's a spectacle fighter that simultaneously is anime as f**k and jokes about itself. The final boss is a bonkers plot twist that makes the ridiculous story even more silly. I love it.
Saints Row 2/3/4: SR 1 is a GTA clone. SR 2+3 are GTA parodies. SR 4 is a Saints Row parody.
Ori and the Blind Forest: Fun Jump n Run with great music
Tyranny: Fun if short isometric RPG where you play an evil henchman. Please for the love of god dont try to get a "good" ending.
Undertale: Short(ish) game about the power of friendship. Compelling characters, good soundtrack. Try not to kill anyone (Mercy them). Has 3 endings. Neutral, Pacifist (never kill anyone, even the bosses) and Genocide (kill everything. Grind until the map is devoid of monsters). For any non hardcore gamers the pacifist route is probably the most fun.
Wolfenstein the New Order: probably 18+. A good game but unlikely you can convince your parents to buy that.

tsj
2017-06-26, 11:15 AM
I Will get FNV and F3 for sure! The mods alone for FNV are awesome

I have been for a long time and still am hopelessly addicted to fallout 4 even though it's mostly a FPS

RayGallade
2017-06-26, 11:34 AM
If you are interested in turn-based strategy games, XCOM is quite fun. I just picked up XCOM 2 as well, but haven't started it yet. Figure I'd go through the first one again to refresh my memory.

I also grabbed Tabletop Simulator. Figure people are creative enough that there'll be some good Workshop support for it down the road.

Winthur
2017-06-26, 12:24 PM
Hollow Knight, Dust: An Elysian Tail and Dead Cells are all solid games from a similar pedigree of games. Lots of dextrous action. Pick whichever appeals to you the most with its artstyle and gameplay. They should all feel pretty PG.

And if you like Skyrim, definitely play New Vegas, though it's likely it won't be an option for you since that game looks like a first person shooter, even though you could very well call it an Elder Scrolls reskin.

If you'd like cheap RPGs, both Knights of the Old Republic games are some of the best Star Wars property, and Divine Divinity is like Diablo mixed with Ultima and costs about as much as a lollipop.

Anteros
2017-06-26, 06:53 PM
Tyranny: Fun if short isometric RPG where you play an evil henchman. Please for the love of god dont try to get a "good" ending.

I thought the good ending was more satisfying than most of the others. I'm wondering why you say don't try to get it.

Black Desert Online is the new big MMO. It's on sale for like 7 dollars or something. It has fun combat, but not much story or questing or anything, but you might like it.

Spore
2017-06-27, 01:57 AM
I thought there wasn't a crystal clear ending fit for a White Knight. So dont expect that.

Wraith
2017-06-27, 04:08 AM
If you liked Skyrim and/or 3rd Person games, you can't go far wrong with Dragon Age: Origins. Lots of critical acclaim, and though I've barely had it long enough to install it, I think it's well deserved.

If you can get away with a 3rd Person Shooter, you might also like to take a look at Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine - it's pretty violent, but it's entirely directed at obviously non-human monsters, which in my experience can potentially swing a vote. :smalltongue:

If you want a 3rd person shooter that's also an MMO, there's always Warframe. That one isn't really in the spirit of the sale, given that it's always been free to play, so maybe donate $5 to charity or something, but it ticks a lot of the boxes you spoke about; it's not too violent or bloody, and there's plenty of depth to keep you occupied.

And as a wild card for something completely different: Darkest Dungeon just had new DLC released, which is in the sale as well as the main game. It's a fiendishly perlous turn-based-strategy with heavy emphasis on your characters dying or going insane with random effects from the evil of the titular dungeon, and is as addictive as it is difficult.

Anteros
2017-06-27, 12:41 PM
I thought there wasn't a crystal clear ending fit for a White Knight. So dont expect that.

There's a good guy ending, but it's pretty easy to lock yourself out of it with any number of decisions early in the game.

Togath
2017-06-27, 12:55 PM
I'll toss in a suggestion for Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. Despite the often negative reviews, I actually really enjoyed it. It's a neat little(or not so little) third person fantasy action game that is often overlooked.:smallsmile:

GolemsVoice
2017-06-27, 01:00 PM
I got old but gold Empire at War, Shadow of Mordor for like 4 €, and Rage.

Rage might not be for you, given your restrictions, but Shadow of Mordor is a neat game, though not exactly free of violence (though 99% of it is towards Uruk, so that might not count).

Aside from that, Company of Heroes (the FIRST game!) is really good, and on sale as a franchise. There's the Witcher III, a 3rd person RPG you've surely heard of, though that features plenty of violence and plenty of naked women and sex.

Portal 2 is on sale for 2 €, always worth it, and Dishonored I and II.

In general, since I'm cheap, I just browse the "under 5 €" section and go to town. You won't get the newest releases, but you can scoop up real gems for less than you'd pay for a Starbucks coffee.

Rynjin
2017-06-27, 01:32 PM
I'll toss in a suggestion for Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. Despite the often negative reviews, I actually really enjoyed it. It's a neat little(or not so little) third person fantasy action game that is often overlooked.:smallsmile:

YMMV. If you like playing MMOs but hate all those dirty other people mucking with your experience and wish you could experience the slapdash plot and repetitive mindless quests on your own, it's great.

Togath
2017-06-27, 02:06 PM
Very fun combat and great visuals and music though, and the plot didn't seem that bad to me.
I mean, it's not the best plot ever, but it's far from "bad". And not that different from Skyrim or something.:smallsmile:

Selpharia
2017-06-27, 04:03 PM
I'd recommend Sentinels of the Multiverse, a really fun strategic card game where you play as a team of heroes working together to thwart villainous plots

Trekkin
2017-06-27, 05:41 PM
Well, Stellaris is pretty good; so are the other Paradox grand strategy games. They're violent, but not graphically so.

Absol197
2017-06-27, 05:49 PM
I'd recommend Sentinels of the Multiverse, a really fun strategic card game where you play as a team of heroes working together to thwart villainous plots

I would second this! Sentinels is both super-fun and super-addictive :smallsmile:

Spore
2017-06-27, 06:13 PM
Very fun combat and great visuals and music though, and the plot didn't seem that bad to me.
I mean, it's not the best plot ever, but it's far from "bad". And not that different from Skyrim or something.:smallsmile:

*gasp* The blasphemy! The audacity!

e: Totalbiscuit has some good points. His taste in games heavily influences this list however.

Rodin
2017-06-27, 06:49 PM
I see all the Dead Rising games are on sale.

For someone who's never played any of them, which one should I get?

Sholos
2017-06-27, 07:23 PM
I would second this! Sentinels is both super-fun and super-addictive :smallsmile:

I'll throw in a third as well. In addition, they recently made a change to the multiplayer to make matching easier with people who have different expansions, so finding an online game is pretty easy. There's also a Sentinels Discord server that's full of cool people. If anyone wants the link to that, shoot me a PM.

Geno9999
2017-06-27, 07:42 PM
I'll throw in a third as well. In addition, they recently made a change to the multiplayer to make matching easier with people who have different expansions, so finding an online game is pretty easy. There's also a Sentinels Discord server that's full of cool people. If anyone wants the link to that, shoot me a PM.

4th towards Sentinels of the Multiverse, though I didn't realize there was a Discord server, I usually play with Skype group (that has some Playgrounders.)

Zevox
2017-06-27, 08:09 PM
Glancing over what's available on it, I'll throw out a few:

If you're interested in fighting games, a few good ones that are available on Steam are Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 (warning: the netcode is poor, so the online play isn't great), Street Fighter 5 (note: short on single-player content), Ultra Street Fighter 4, and Tekken 7 (note: going off secondhand reports and a few videos there, have not played that one myself). In addition there's my personal favorite, the BlazBlue franchise, which I am surprised to see even has its most recent entry on there - as well as a "collection" you can grab that includes all four games. The main reason to do so being that, unlike most other fighting games, that series has a story mode in every game, pretty darn big ones at that, and the story would be even more confusing if you try to play it without seeing the previous entries (and trust me, it can be confusing enough to begin with, often deliberately). There's also its sister series, Guilty Gear, which is also quite good, though I see that the most recent update to that is not available on steam as yet.

On the action game front, you can't go wrong with Platinum Games' wonderful work: Bayonetta and Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, which IMO are two of the best action games ever made. I also see Nier: Automata is on there, another of Platinum's games which I've heard good things about, though I haven't played that one or even seen anything much from it as yet to know whether to recommend it personally.

Rynjin
2017-06-27, 09:55 PM
I see all the Dead Rising games are on sale.

For someone who's never played any of them, which one should I get?

Off The Record.

Rodin
2017-06-27, 10:43 PM
Off The Record.

Looking at the reviews there are a lot of problems getting controllers to work.

Is the game playable with mouse and keyboard (as in actually controlling decently)? I'm not thrilled with the idea of buying it and then spending hours trying to hack my XBox 360 controller into working just for one game.

Knaight
2017-06-28, 02:32 AM

I'd actually suggest avoiding this - the digital implementation is weirdly convoluted a lot of the time, and it's much better as an actual board game.

tsj
2017-06-28, 03:10 AM
I got fo3+fnv+jedi knight pack and Im considering the following... Rage + portal pack

Pendulous
2017-07-01, 04:44 AM
Rogue Legacy is one of the best Indie games out there, and it's only $2.99 right now.

Having fun so far with Dead Cells (cheaper on Bundlestars though) and Crosscode.

Rynjin
2017-07-01, 11:33 AM
Looking at the reviews there are a lot of problems getting controllers to work.

Is the game playable with mouse and keyboard (as in actually controlling decently)? I'm not thrilled with the idea of buying it and then spending hours trying to hack my XBox 360 controller into working just for one game.

I haven't had any issues with controller on it, so I can't really say.

Avilan the Grey
2017-07-05, 06:38 AM
The only thing I could afford and really wanted this time (money goes to a new bed) is Planet Coasters. Really excited about it, I absolute adore the Roller-coaster Tycoon series.

LibraryOgre
2017-07-05, 09:24 AM
The Mod Wonder: Closed as duplicate thread.