PDA

View Full Version : The Benefactor (IC)

Silverphantasm
2017-06-26, 09:41 AM
The university at Nadirehs was renown throughout all nations as being one of the three epicenters of knowledge, with the others being the Red Cathedral in Retasque, an beacon of both religious and scientific scriptures and the Monastery of the four roads, the only neutral entity whose position at a crossroads of 3 nations & situated next to a massive river gave it unrivaled access to trade goods and passing knowledge.

Despite it's high standing in the world, the university didn't quite bear the regal or elegant features of an intellectual fortress, instead it resembled several small building with turrets and archways and extra levels added throughout the passage of time, each growing larger and more detailed the higher they went. This idea had been cleverly explained by a now long dead professor who stated, that as time passed and the universities presence and influence grew, it had needed to expand, but that by keeping the older structures, it showed how humble beginnings can grow into magnificent standings, though it was often whispered that the university simply never wanted to spend the coin to demolish the structures and rebuild properly.

The pale light of a rising moon illuminated the campus, the polished stones and numerous glass windows reflected this light around the courtyard giving enough light that even human could make out small details, despite the university technically being open at all hours, with only an hour till midnight the surroundings were empty, cold and quiet.

Ten minutes later a faint clomping echos through the night as a carriage pulled by a pair of massive horses swings out of the darkness and halts before the arched entrance to the universities courtyard.

"We're here", the driver calls into the carriage and opens the door to address four cloaked figures within, I was instructed to give you this upon arrival. Reaching into his belt he withdrew a bone scroll tube the white wax seal upon it is ornately painted, a silver quill embossed on a shield of gold.

Xanyo
2017-06-26, 12:38 PM
One of the figures rudely snatches the scroll with a manicured hand and looks at the seal.
"Fantastic. Looks like this mysterious person is of the conception that 'the pen is mightier than the sword'."
He scoffs at this.
"Show me a corpse with an inkpen through its throat, and maybe I'll be a tad less disrespectful about it. Now, let's hurry this up. It's practically midnight."
He looks around at the university and scowls, muttering something about stuck-up deans and their showy universities. He spares a quick glare at the other cloaked people, and shoves the scroll into the hands of the tallest one. He seems to expect them to read it aloud for him. As he waits for the person to open the scroll, he pulls back his hood, revealing a handsome face spoiled by his rude expression. His straight black hair almost reaches his eyes, and he quickly brushes it out of the way, then begins flattening his hair. He glances at the tall one expectantly.

Centaurion
2017-06-26, 01:30 PM
Cendrion

The last days had been... rough. But then, fortunately, they turned from rough to interesting. First, his freedom was purchased by someone, a benefactor of some sort... Well, if he was honest, Cendrion did not believe in such a concept. Most likely, this person was not really a philanthropist, but rather wants something back in return. But, if he was equally honest, the person had caught his curiosity. For just a small moment, Cendrion had thought that maybe his parents were behind it all, but he had quickly pushed away this thought, well knowing that it had risen from nothing than a set of feelings he had hidden orderly in a secret, and more importantly: locked, drawer in his mind.

When the carriage had picked him up, he found it empty, but did not think too much about it. But when the carriage halted, and he wanted to get out, he quickly found that they also picked up others. Without even putting thought into it, he fell back into his trained attitude, greeting the newcomer politely, but not without pride, introducing himself to each of them, when they each joined the ride, as:

"Cendrion Paddenbrook"

He took the opportunity to muster each of them during the short journey, trying not to stare at them, but to visually extract as much information as possible. The others also did not seem to know each other... Would they know what was to come? Impossible to say, unless someone brought up the topic. Patience, Cendrion. For once, be patient until information reveals itself. he thought by himself.

---

When the ride stops and they are given the scroll, he gracefully leaves the carriage and looks around in modest curiosity. He had never been here, and as such, he is not entirely sure how to behave. While trying to think of the right manners in such a location, his train of thoughts is interrupted by the rather graphic thought of someone stabbed by an inkpen. For just a slight moment, his right hand slightly moves, just as if he were to hold up his index finger and say "Actually...", but then he suppresses this urge in the last moment. At least he doesn't have to think too much about manners anymore, now that this ruffian has spoken. His glance follows the scroll to the tallest in the group, trying to find out whether the person knows what to do with it. Other than any of the two obvious choices: Opening it, or going inside and showing it to someone.

Taelas
2017-06-26, 02:44 PM
When Siobhan enters the carriage, she does not do so alone. Immediately behind her is an animal, about the size of a moderate-to-large dog - a wolverine. The wolverine has a saddle on its back and is clad in studded leather barding, and it growls lightly at the others. A simple gesture from the halfling cuts off the growl, and it lies down obediently at her seat. It continues to stare at them, black eyes full of malice.

She looks at the others curiously, tilting her head. "So many tall menfolk," she comments teasingly, a twinkle in her eyes.

When they arrive at their destination, she immediately climbs into the saddle, and the wolverine leaps out through the open door, Siobhan ducked down flat on its back. She lets out a clear high laugh.

Centaurion
2017-06-26, 03:14 PM
--- before the arrival, after Siobhan entered

Cendrion had offered his best Spock-eyebrow when the wolverine shuts up, swiftly taking back the hand which had closed itself around the hilt of the dagger on his belt, well knowing that the rapier (which was leaning against the backrest) was too long for this small room. Then, he recalled his posture and introduces himself, and asked for her name, if she did not tell them.

Lyndworm
2017-06-27, 01:48 AM
Rityr was quite intrigued by the message he'd received. He was starting to get tired of bodyguard work, and was at least interested in hearing what the benefactor had to offer. When the carriage came to pick him up, Rityr was more than a little surprised to see not just one other passenger, but three of them... and the biggest badger he'd ever seen. With an internal shrug and an external scowl, Rityr hauls himself aboard in silence.

When the other human in the party nabs the scroll from the driver, Rityr begins to form an opinion of the man. When the man unceremoniously thrusts the scroll at Rityr, those opinions solidify. "You might be accustomed to it, boy," he says to the much younger man. "But you're not paying me enough to read you bedtime stories."

As Rityr unfurls the scroll, a faint yellow light shines from it onto his face. "It's from him." he says as he reads. "He's invited us to his office, but it's some kind of riddle. We only have until midnight." Rityr extends the scroll to Cendrion to read. "I can't make much out of it."

Taelas
2017-06-27, 02:27 PM
In the carriage, earlier: "I am Siobhan, and this is Jaerv." The halfling scratches the ears of the wolverine, smiling.

Outside: Siobhan reins in her mount, then rides over to Rityr, peering over his arm to look at the scroll. "A riddle? Let me see, let me see!" she says eagerly, reaching up to take it.

Xanyo
2017-06-27, 03:34 PM
The man flinches when the tall one mentions 'pay'.
He had ignored everyone during the ride, and now shows a similar amount of respect - or lack thereof.
"Someone just read the accursed scroll already. What's the riddle?"
He seems rather annoyed that the mysterious benefactor couldn't even give straight instructions. While he waits, he examines his suuroundings more and grumbles.
"I've seen better servant's quarters. This place is a dump. I hope we don't have to come back here often. If this is where he lives or is otherwise stationed, someone's gonna wake up with a third nostril, and it won't be natural."

Centaurion
2017-06-27, 06:04 PM
Cendrion without any discussion simply gives the scroll to Sioban.

Taelas
2017-06-27, 08:30 PM
Unfurling the scroll, Siobhan starts to read it aloud:

My dear friends,

Thank you ever so much for choosing to hear me out, if you would please quietly proceed to the base of the tallest tower whose shadow is within the courtyard at the precise hour of midnight, you will find an unlocked door, if you are to early or late you shall find a locked door. Regardless once you've past through the door you will be faced with a staircase which both rises and descends, please imagine yourselves as King Ferungid when you choose your path, the incorrect choice will be rather unpleasant. Once you've finished with these trivialities, feel free to enter my office, it is the first door on the right in the red hallway, once you are in my office I will be happy to conduct the rest of our business.

Yours cordially
The Benefactor

She pauses for a moment as she reaches the name of the king, frowning, before she finishes.

"I'm not sure I can remember who this 'King Ferungid' is..." she muses, rolling the scroll up and tapping her knee with it. "History isn't one of the subjects I studied."

Can't get more than DC 10 info, but it may help.

[roll0]

EDIT: Well, not with that roll.

Xanyo
2017-06-28, 11:17 AM
"Who in the Nine Hells is King Ferin-whatever?"
He scowls even more, annoyed by the cryptic instructions. He does, though, start matching up shadows with towers, looking for one that matches the scroll's infernal riddle.
"I've seen better riddles about old shoes.." he grumbles.

Taelas
2017-06-28, 12:49 PM
Siobhan glances at the one shorter of the two humans. "The tallest tower is the alchemy tower," she calls after him, pointing toward the far western corner. A moment later, she taps the wolverine with her heels, and guiding the animal with her knees, directs it in that general vicinity. Jaerv sets off, and near the tower, the halfling pulls the animal to a halt. "Stay!" she tells it, her voice stern, and Jaerv sits down on its haunches, staring at her with its black eyes. She reaches up to scratch it behind its ears, then turns to the tower.

"It should be this one? The spire adds a bit," she says, looking up the side.

Silverphantasm
2017-06-28, 01:42 PM
As Siobhan examines the tower, she hear's a faint click from the door at the base, the door is of heavy worn oak with lighter faded bits of paint and polish that had worn away from the many times the door had been pushed closed.

Upon opening the door it glides near weightlessly outward, the hinges silent as the night, having recently been greased, an odor that is just detectable to people, but which produces a fairly stagnate smell to Jaerv.

A landing on a spiral staircase sits within the going left would eventually bring on to the top of the tower, though the 100ft structure indicated it would be a long dizzying walk to reach the summit, the right disappears into a black void, with no light source emanting from within, an unused but oil laden torch sits in a bracket nearby.

Lyndworm
2017-06-28, 11:35 PM
Silent as he searches his memory, Rityr perks up when he hears the rude one mangle the ancient king's name aloud. "Ah, right," he says. "Ferungid was an old dwarf king. His castle was upside-down like, so that he lived deep underground with the dungeons in the towers."

The paladin moves towards the alchemy tower and pulls open the door. Spotting the torch on the wall, Rityr reaches into his pocket for his flint and steel, and begins to light the torch. "We're to head down the staircase, then."

Xanyo
2017-06-28, 11:52 PM
As Rityr struggles to light a flame, Stiin reaches into a small pouch at his waist and pulls out a magical torch with a greenish flame. He arrogantly walks down the steps, with a sneering smile.
"Handy things, Everburning Torches, you know. Never have to light 'em."
Then his expression falls.
"Expensive though."

Centaurion
2017-06-29, 02:13 AM
Cendrion

When two of his new colleagues (?) offered their parts to the riddle, Cendrion dropped part of his disguise to congratulate them:

"Good job, noticing the spire.
Maybe it's a matter of perspective?"

The last part apparently was tongue-in-cheek and a follow up to her previous comment about size differences.

"Good thing at least someone payed attention in history class, eh? I was secretly hoping it to be the darker path. Looks much more exciting."

When a snarky comment is made, he grins behind his visage. The more people pay attention to a loud person, the less they payed attention to him. Which was a good thing.

"Presumably your financial misery is caused by your preference of accommodation that ... is not such a dump? Or was it a failed attempt of establishing a nostril making business?"

Taelas
2017-06-29, 06:34 AM
Siobhan chuckles at the comment about perspective. "Down instead of up, huh?" she says softly, looking into the gloom. With a shrug, she again admonishes the wolverine to "Stay!" before she proceeds down the staircase.

On the way down, she looks up at Cendrion. "It was less a matter of me noticing it, as knowing it in advance," she confides in him. "When I was a student here, I was out at night all the time."

She frowns at the walls. "Can't say I've ever noticed the alchemy tower having a dungeon in the rafters, though."

Silverphantasm
2017-06-29, 09:37 AM
As the group proceeds down the stairs, the nameless figure with the green flame leading the way, they pass several alcoves filled with shelves laden with glass jars and oiled pots, at a small landing nearly three turns down, is a doorway which leads to a hallway with 4 doors, two to either side, the room is fully lit and hued a light green from the emerald colored flame licking the torch, a small plaque above the door frame reads "Minerals, Metals, Fungi, & antidotes."

After another 3 turns down, there are two doorways each emanating their own bright yellow light. each leading to a hallway, the left option leads to a burgundy carpeted hallway, with rosewood hangings adorning the walls, while the other is of a well hewn stone floor, and has an ornate carving across the walls.

Despite the either the greenish hue emanating from the first figure, or the orange yellow emanating from behind the group, the two hallways are so well lit that no shadows are cast along the floor.

Xanyo
2017-06-29, 11:16 AM
The man shoots a glare at the elf, and his perpetual scowl deepens. Then he turns his attention to the doors, and enters the rosewood hallway.
"First door on the right in the red hallway, wasn't it?"
He practically stomps down the hall on his way to the indicated door. He shoots the elf another glare, then goes to open the door. As he does so, he puts his torch away.

Taelas
2017-06-29, 11:21 AM
Siobhan shakes her head. "Wait!" she calls out. "That's not the right corridor!"

She points at the rough hewn stone corridor. "This is the right corridor."

Xanyo
2017-06-29, 12:10 PM
He scowls further.
"The instructions clearly said to go in the red corridor, genius. Now stop insisting that reality is different from what it is."
He confidently attempts to open the door, glaring at the rest of the group.
Idiots he thinks to himself, although his expression shows his thoughts.

Centaurion
2017-06-29, 12:58 PM
Cendrion

"I must agree, you are in the wrong corridor. Apparently, the last part of the riddle was indeed - a riddle. Or rather an illusion. So, I'd suggest you stay away from the door, because it might well be trapped."

Xanyo
2017-06-29, 01:24 PM
He stops with his hand on the handle, and groans.
"Well, why didn't you say 'illusion' the first time?"
He glares at the annoying child-thing. A halfy or something. He could never remember.
"If you're all so smart, why don't you lead the way?"
He practically spits out the last few words, his contempt for you all having increased.

Lyndworm
2017-06-29, 06:16 PM
A crack starts in Rityr's composure as he says "We tried to. Twice." He turns and heads down the 'correct' path. "Stay in your place before you get hurt."

Silverphantasm
2017-06-29, 09:35 PM
As Rityr turns down the correct hallway, the illusions shimmer as though the image across them is nothing more than the reflection of a pool of water, rippling in the morning breeze, suddenly the colors and lights swirl and dissipate, leaving the green flame to reveal the dark stone room, and the natural orange flame to illuminate the burgandy and red of the 2nd hallway. The four doors in this hallway each have a bronze plaque on them, though only the closest one, which was old, but well polished could be read in the flickering light.

"Professor T. Suidacra"
Philosophy, Illusionary Arts & Theoretical Magic

Xanyo
2017-06-29, 10:03 PM
He ignores the protests and strolls to the correct door as if he had been right all along. He scowls at the plaque as he reads it.
"Philosophy? A bunch of useless mumbo jumbo! Illusory Arts? The art of the headache, more like. The only part of this title I like is 'Theoretical Magic'. That is, if he ever takes it out of the realm of theoretical and into the realm of practical."

Centaurion
2017-06-30, 07:16 AM
Cendrion raises an eyebrow at seeing the apparently short temper of his ally-to-be unfurl again. Then, he steps forward towards Rityr and the door.

Looking at the others, he asks: "If we still have the time, I might just look for any wards on the door itself. But we would not want to let our benefactor wait, right?"

Apparently, he is as eager to see behind all the secrets of the door -- both which is hidden on it as what is hidden by it. But maybe it was nothing but a door?

I am not sure if we still have time left, particularly because of the typical player/DM/perceived time gap. So, if there's is still time, I'd look over the door for any mechanisms one could either require to open the door, or should avoid when doing so. Either take 20 if time permits for a result of 34 32. Or, here, have a few search checks:
[roll0]-2 = 31.
[roll1]-2 = 23.
[roll2]-2 = 30.
[roll3]-2 = 28.

Just as a gentle reminder, if there are secret doors, I am making such checks passively if near to them, because elf. I also realized my search mod on the sheet was missing the +2 from masterwork thieves' tools, I added it (12->14). Ugh, sorry about that last part, of course they do not help there... :smalleek:

Taelas
2017-06-30, 02:50 PM
Even the cheery halfling seems to be losing her patience with the complaining human.

"Do you have anything useful to contribute?" she asks, clearly annoyed.

She turns back to watch Cendrion examine the door, stoically ignoring the human if he responds.

Lyndworm
2017-06-30, 10:28 PM
"At least someone has some sense." says Rityr with a nod to Cendrion. "I don't trust anything about this set up. Take your time on those wards."

Silverphantasm
2017-07-01, 01:02 PM
Upon examination the door leading to Suidacra's office is significantly different from the others in the hall way, it bears no handle, or panel with which one could pull or push. The other doors have hinges on the right side, allowing them to swing outwards if opened, but the professor's door doesn't have hinges on either side, more over there doesn't even seem to be a crevice between the stone of the wall and the wood of the door.

Cendrion's further examination of other doors indicates that each use 3 rotary dials of numbers 1-6 as a means to unlock and open, but the dials on this door are held in place by faint glowing lines preventing other combinations from being selected.

Siobhan recognizes this as an arcane lock, a layer of magical enchantment applied to a physical one.

As Cendrion concludes his examination, his eye alights upon a oddly shaded piece of slate embedded in the floor.

Beneath the piece of slate - a folded bit of parchment with an identical painted wax seal.

My friends you've all but finished, however, many a task is left incomplete upon its zenith,

To remove the magical protective elements, the word "open" must be spoken by four tongues in four different tongues at the same time, as for the dial,

The first number is equal to how many passengers the carriage delivered tonight.
The second number is less than the first but 2 more than the third.
The third number is not 1.

As with all good things in life, you have but a single chance, take your time and think, but not too long,
I have tea, hot stew and fresh fruit waiting.

Professor Suidacra

Centaurion
2017-07-01, 06:39 PM
Cebdrion reads the new riddle aloud.

I count five pessengers, of one includes Jaerv. Or did we have any further blind passengers? Or would one count the driver as passenger? Logic dictates that the first number must me at least five, otherwise the last would have to be 1. My guess is 5-4-2. As for languages... which do you speak? "

Taelas
2017-07-02, 09:02 AM
Siobhan nods. "Since the numbers must be between one and six, there are only three options for it to fit the other criteria than the first: 6-4-2; 6-5-3; and 5-4-2. Since we are five with my Jaerv, that would be the logical solution -- unless there was a sixth passenger that we are not aware of. As for languages..." The halfling chuckles. She glances around. "Cendrion, you say it in Elvish; I'll say it in Halfling; and the humans can bicker over who I teach to say it in Sylvan if they cannot come up with a fourth language between them." She grins at the elf.

Lyndworm
2017-07-02, 02:01 PM
"I can cover dwarven, if our last prefers the common tongue." says Rityr. "Let's not waste any more time with the bickering, yeah? I could do with a cup of that tea."

Xanyo
2017-07-02, 04:21 PM
"I guess I'll say it in the normal tongue then. On three. One, two three. Open."
He leads the saying of the word and then waits for someone to input the numbers. He stands with his arms crossed as he waits.

Taelas
2017-07-03, 06:02 AM
Siobhan nods, saying "Open!" in an unfamiliar tongue -- at least to those who cannot speak her racial language -- at the appropriate time.

She reaches out to start dialing in the numbers -- 5. 4. 2.

Centaurion
2017-07-03, 07:50 AM
Cendrion does as suggested and speaks "Open" in Elven.

Lyndworm
2017-07-03, 05:11 PM
Simultaneously, Rityr speaks the word "Open." in dwarven.

Centaurion
2017-07-03, 05:13 PM
When Siobhan enters the combination, Cendrion cannot hide his excitement anymore. His whole body speaks a language of being thrilled to finally see what is behind the door.

Silverphantasm
2017-07-03, 05:50 PM
As the last syllable of open rolls off Rityr's tongue with a dwarvish spin, the web of purple arcane energy crossing the dials fades out. Siobhan's finger's make quick work of the rotary dial, spinning each number into place, a faint click emanates from the dials as the third is aligned at 2, and the whole door near weightlessly glides back, swinging to the right on a pair of hidden hinges, and revealing a passage way about 5' long.

A wave of aroma's hit the figures, a thick & rich brown gravy, laced with recently picked basil & oregano, a slight scent of raspberries & lemon is next, with the sweet yet sour odor's twisting together, a small sweet-like is indiscernable from the stronger one's but swirls in it's unknown & new, the final scent is nearly over-whelming, freshly picked & peeled oranges, the citrus clean and fresh.

The room itself despite being nearly 40' across and 50' deep is full of objects, text books and models, cabinets of glass chemical wares, several taxidermy specimens showing the inner skeletal & musculature systems, a moose, a goat, house cat & ....a human.... Several book shelves laden with heavy books are awkwardly positioned in the center of the room disrupting what should be an open or clear field. A gap in the various materials maybe 8-10 inches wide leads from the doorway towards a set of spiral stairs that descend to another level.

I tried to clear a path on the right for you... please come down & help yourselves to food & drink then take a seat, miss Siobhan Jaerv is most welcome to join us, providing he neither eats nor defecates on my materials. The voice emanates from this stair way. The voice is old, yet firmly confident, and decently loud enough to be heard.

Once having descended the stairs another room nearly as large as the one above though with much more lavish decoration and actual room to walk, though again it looks rushed and oddly cluttered as though things had been simply been placed then left standing. A series of musical notes enough to make a light song seem to be emanating from somewhere near a rack of instruments hangs. A oak table on the right is the first feature to grab attention, an array of polished silverware gleams from one as a column of steam rises from a black steel cauldron and a massive gold inlay tea pot that is suspended from a series of gymbals allowing it to be poured with but a finger, there were steel mugs for the tea, and crystal goblets with a matching crystal decanter of a near purple wine.

5 bowls sit upended on the table, rather simple steel considering the silverware, a stack of plates is made of craved granite are next in this odd assortment of "dishes". Two platters make up the rest table space, the first is an old polished bronze and is covered in every type of berry known to exist, each in it's own "slice", the second platter is one of old gold, the material unmistakable, it gleams with a dull yellow brown hue, it is laden with freshly sliced apples, the oranges that the group had scented earlier, and two bundles of bananas.

A desk nearly ten feet wide and 5 feet deep is positioned opposite the spiral stair way, in front are 4 chairs, well built from various woods, but all the same style and shape, a stool is positioned next the one on the far left, as is a bulky pillow. Behind each chair is an arming rack and small table, suitable for the placement of gear, armor and weapons should the group wish to cease holding them. The man on the other side of the massive desk doesn't raise his head nor does he stopping scratching away with his quill despite your appearance, his task whatever it is seems to be taking a great deal of concentration as small beads of sweat have formed around his balding brow.

Xanyo
2017-07-04, 01:46 PM
Stiin produces a wide, friendly and uncharacteristic smile. He gives a quick bow before offering a greeting.
"Good evening, professor! You are our mysterious benefactor, I presume? I hope our timing was convenient."
He waits for the others to seat themselves before settling into a chair.
"And to what do we owe the pleasure of your... benefactories? As far as I am aware, at most one of us already has had the pleasure of your acquaintance, meaning you probably are lacking in sentimental purposes for offering your kindness, as we are mostly strangers to you. You seem a good man, but rarely do I meet someone who offers his assistance without expectation of something, whatever it may be. If you please, could you enlighten us on the purpose of this meeting? And why, exactly, you chose us out of the undoubtedly numerous people in similar circumstances."

Lyndworm
2017-07-04, 07:24 PM
Almost immediately crossing to the nearest table, Rityr pours himself a cup of tea. He breathes it in deeply, and takes a small sip. "Thank you for your hospitality, Professor. If nothing else comes from this night, you have excellent taste in tea."

Taelas
2017-07-05, 02:40 AM
"Thank you, professor, but Jaerv prefers the outside," Siobhan replies, her tone respectful. She takes a seat at the table, then fills a mug with tea and a bowl with stew. While eating, she watches the professor, not saying anything else. She occasionally takes a sip of tea, being careful not to make too much noise so as to not disturb the man's concentration.

Centaurion
2017-07-05, 09:49 AM
Cendrion practically bolts into the room, but is then quickly slowed down by the sheer number of curiosities packed in this ... laboratory. While the others go down the stairs rather directly, the elf requires a few moments more as he is inspecting various of the objects that can be seen right and left of his way. When he finally arrives, he finds most of his fellows already sitting. He slightly bows, regardless of not being watched directly, offers a low and polite "Good evening.", puts his nicely made bag and rapier onto the weapon rack, and then sits down at the table. He is way too distracted by the appearance of their benefactor that he does not really pay too much of attention to the items on the table.

Silverphantasm
2017-07-06, 10:27 AM
After a lengthy few seconds of writing, the man puts his quill back in the stand over his ink jar, then lays a smudging paper across the parchment, then moved it the side on to a small stack. His face visibly relaxes and with that relaxation the gentle music ceases abruptly. He glances spends another series of length seconds staring at each of you intently, giving a small nod to each as he moved to the next.

My friends, I do apologize for both the timing, location and preceding little game in which our meeting has occurred, not three days ago, the storage cellar experienced a wall breach and we had to move it's contents to the room above us, as that is the only room which was adequately large enough at the time, as far as the hour goes, I figured if any of you disliked the my offer and/or wished for discretion the best way to ensure that was to prevent any student or instructor from seeing you, as for the game.....well I had to make sure you were at least competent, after all the reports of others goes only so far.

He stands walks around the desk and collects a cup of tea, a bowl of stew, and several pieces of fruit, as he moves you notice he has a very serious limp on his right leg. (K.Nature) after returning to his desk with his meal, he looks towards Stiin.

My apologies for the delay in answering your questions Lord Kerze, but I wanted to take stock of you all, to answer each question, yes I am your benefactor of sorts, and your timing is nigh on impeccable. I do not actually know or have met any of you previously, Miss Siobhan here has attended the university, but has, as far as I am aware, never had the pleasure of attending any of my courses. I am familiar with your family as the Kerze's used to be great donor's to the university, that is until your father grew into his title. Due to my various contacts with royal armies I am quite familiar though this is the first time I've met him, Rityr and his varied accomplishments both with and before joining the Brotherhood of Black shields. As for Cendrion, I wanted someone accustomed who to put it bluntly was skilled at doing things one shouldn't, but was more interested in the action than the reward.

Taking a long deep breath, he continued in,

All I expect in return for my efforts thus far is that you hear me out, and that if you don't agree, you simply forget our meeting occurred. As most of you are aware the Onphryn church (K.Religion) has been increasingly hostile towards races, knowledge & philosophies that are contradictory towards their scripture, and have both subtlety and openly manipulating the monarchies for the last few decades, as a result cultures & qualities of life, as well as knowledge as a whole have been declining. Stiin and Siobhan, you may not have experienced much of this change, but I know Cendrion has witnessed it, and you Rityr, probably have the greatest experience of it. Even the university has begun to experience these declines, please don't let my fancy cutlery and good food fool you, the university is experiencing rapid decline, this fancy display is nothing more than a peacocks plumage, a way to hopefully get your attention and keep it.

What I propose is the five of us form an alliance of sorts, I have a very wide ranging series of contacts and ..... for lack of a better word informants and spies. I will explain that later.... I have talked with many noble houses and merchant guilds, they all wish for a change and improvement to occur, but they lack someone to work with and to help "nudge" things along, many will begin helping once they witness progress. I ask you to be that progress, to help me advance life among these nations and to fight back against the corruption of the Onphryn church.

I cannot promise that you will always be in-line with the laws as they stand in every kingdom, I cannot promise that some work will not be distasteful or morally ambiguous at times, but I can promise that you will be improving the world and large and personally profiting from it. In short I propose our alliance work towards fulfilling contracts from the gentry (nobles) and other selected members of society whom have the resources to affect change, and that we use that change to our advantage. What say you?

Xanyo
2017-07-06, 12:36 PM
Stiin nods at the explanations. When the professor mentions donations, he mentions that his father always was somewhat of a miser. He scowls at the mention of the church.
"If I had a silver piece for every time those priests had or tried to have a discreet meeting with my father, I would be able to afford my own mansion. They've even started approaching Adelar. They seem to be under the impression that the monarchy bats an eye at Father's opinion. The only good they get out of manipulating him is use of his contacts and spies - speaking of which, I had to ditch one on my way to meet the carriage. And I mean ditch in more than one sense of the word. He'll have nine different hells of a time explaining to my father that he fell asleep while following me."
His smile reappears, now as a sort of grin.
"I'm willing to join in. I've never been one to judge risk versus reward, and I'm not to keen about any sort of theocracy, even one disguised as a monarchy. I have some measure of influence over my family's contacts, and I am no novice at keeping people in one piece, particularly after the fact. How can I be of use?"
As he speaks, his tone varies in a way that seems to draw emotion from himself to instill in the listener. When he speaks of the church's influence in his family, you feel indignation. When he talks of Adelar, you feel as though he's standing where Stiin should be. When he mentions the spy, annoyance makes itself known. When he explains his thwarting, you feel triumphant. When he pledges his help, you get a sense of confidence, and expectation.

Lyndworm
2017-07-06, 01:03 PM
Nursing his tea, Rityr searches his memories for the Onphryn church and finds himself lacking. A small frown comes to his face but is replaced by a look of focus when their host mentions 'personally profiting.' The warrior says "I've most definitely seen the changes you're talking about, Professor. The world is a much darker place now than it was a decade ago, the people in it are crude and violent. If it goes unchecked... Well, people will be killing each other in the streets and putting me out of a job." He breaks for another sip of tea. "I'll admit that I don't have much experience with the Onphryn church; I know little more than your average crude and violent street killer. I've seen enough evidence for myself to take your word on this, though. Based on this conversation alone, I'm in. You have my services, until death or resolution. Do not squander them."

Taelas
2017-07-06, 03:28 PM
Siobhan studies the professor's limping walk for a moment, frowning slightly. Her features smooth as soon as he turns back to them, smiling up at him.

"Laws aren't always to the benefits of the common folk," the halfling says with a shrug. "I am absolutely willing to help. A corrupt church? That's bad."

Lyndworm
2017-07-06, 05:42 PM
"Laws aren't meant to benefit people." says Rityr, forgetting his tea for a moment to address Siobhan. "Laws enable society to exist in any meaningful way. Most folk, common and noble alike, aren't able to look after themselves, let alone each other. They're animals or worse, wilder and more savage than that badger you left outside by far. Enforcing the right set of laws is the only way to have any kind of peace."

Taelas
2017-07-06, 06:05 PM
Siobhan's eyes flash with anger.

"I didn't say all laws are bad, but some are. I don't believe that most folk are as bad as you seem to think. Though I would point out that animals do take care of themselves. You're being inconsistent."

Her face is slowly turning red. "And Jaerv is a wolverine, not a badger!" She crosses her arms over her chest, fuming for a moment before muttering: "Badgers are smaller..."

Lyndworm
2017-07-06, 06:29 PM
As Siobhan gets heated, Rityr gets icy. His normal, knowing smirk fades without leaving any shadow of a frown. His face has lost any hint of awareness except for the hawk-eyes he has for the halfling. "Make no mistake; I said 'animals or worse,' and I said that because animals may be beasts, but men are monsters. No animal deserves the horrors men inflict on each other, but I've known men who deserved things even I can't name. Animals are not cruel, they do not lie, cheat, steal, murder. Any sin they commit is because they are innocent of the concept. They aren't burdened with our knowledge, so I forgive them any slight. It's easier to find a righteous horse than a righteous knight to sit upon him." Rityr seems to calm a little then, taking a sip from his rapidly cooling tea and saying "The best friend I ever had was a dog."

Centaurion
2017-07-07, 02:04 AM
Cendrion

During the benefactor's monologue, Cendrion had naturally stayed silent, and was practically sucking in all the information when it left their hiding spot behind the benefactor's forehead. He was waiting with excitement and slight worry for the moment the benefactor would introduce Cendrion's capabilities, but then is somewhat relieved as the benefactor does not mention how he took him out of prison...

Just a few moments later, when his comrades engage in verbal argument:

Again: The eyebrow going up as he gives Siobhan and Rityr a moment of quickly-escalating discussion, finally pouring himself some tea. He has stayed silent until now, but now he also speaks up:

"So... to put it... bluntly -- we are fulfilling the, possibly dirty, orders of nobles who might prove useful in the fight against the church in order to win them over and show them that there ways to proceed in this seemingly lost cause? How will it work on a more practical level? Will you acquire the missions and brief us then?"

Taelas
2017-07-07, 10:00 AM
The halfling seems a little stunned by Rityr's tirade.

After a long moment, she says "I see," in a small voice. Her face is even redder than before.

She turns to Cendrion, grateful for the excuse to move her attention from the mercenary.

Silverphantasm
2017-07-09, 06:28 PM
Responding to Cendrion's comments first, the professor spoke with firmness & an heir of solidity. "Yes, you will be doing the dirty & or petty work for noble families. You may have to steal, murder, and cheat, I cannot promise you will not have to do things that each, some or all of you find distasteful, but I will leave the direct operations and choices you make to you, provided you accomplish the goal the client intends.

He lets a small pause pervade the room, looking at each of them.

Now, I will admit to you all, that you are not the only team I have assembled, and that the other team is the one whom I will ferry more of the darker contracts to, as that team is composed of an assassin, and a very skilled swordsman, as a smaller team with a more focused or limited skill set, it will suit them better.

He shuffles through the papers on his desk, before withdrawing two of them, and placing each on the desk,

I did anticipate your cooperation and as such took the liberty of preparing a few jobs, please take your time to review each and discuss among which you would prefer.

As he speaks, he pulls a heavy cloak from a hook on the wall,

Again the food will stay fresh till the morning, then I'll have student come for it, I have another meeting that I would like to attend, if you think of any questions for me, pertaining to the jobs or not, I shall address them in the morn.

Completion Criteria: Retrieve the journal of Galen Morgans from the Onphryn church and deliver it to Lord Waldon Marbury.

Details/History: Galen Morgans was the premiere explorer and cartographer throughout 5 kingdoms, known for his Eidetic memory and skillful use of illusions, he was well known for visiting forgotten or protected sites and later being able to recreate them as illusions and images.

3 years ago he was contracted by Waldon Marbury to explore a cavern recently exposed by an earthquake near Marbury point, so named as the seat of the Marbury's, an important port & best wineries in the northern realms. The expedition in addition to it's immense cost, was apparently frought with misfortune and hardship, the Marbury's oldest son and heir was among those lost.

After nearly a year underground Morgans returned as one of a handful of survivors, however, before they could present themselves to the lord, members of the Onphryn church intercepted them and claiming they'd intentionally searched for and discovered the lost & sacred city of Periculphis had the explorers executed and all records confiscated. The church later sent there own investigative explorers down the cavern, then destroyed the entrance and sealed it shut.

Lord Marbury wants the journal, as well as any other documents surviving from the expedition, he was able to have a single meeting with Galen before his execution, during which the explorer told the lord that his journal had been disguised as an old tome, with a crescent moon and star on the cover, something that the church would have taken for examination and records.

Lord Marbury has further details on where to start should you wish to accept this job and travel to him.

Completion Criteria: Elimination of the creatures (3+) attacking the town.
Secondary Criteria: Discover source/reasons for creatures appearances.
A series of monsters have been plaguing the island town within the Lake of Lenariam, reports indicate that at least 3 separate creatures the size of lions have been terrorizing the town for nearly a month.

The creatures are capable of flight, attack only during hours of darkness, seem to be intelligent enough to recognize defense or changes to the town, and are capable of expelling fire. The creatures seem to hunt for food during the night, this seems to be their primary motive for killing the villagers (food), however, when provoked or actively engaged they do not flee and usually leave their opponents as charred shredded corpses.

The Earl of Lenariam has posted a bounty the creatures, and is your point of contact for this mission.

Taelas
2017-07-10, 07:53 AM
"Yes, professor," the halfling says with a quick bow from her seat.

Siobhan scans the two papers quickly then passes them on to the others.

"I would suggest the second -- it is more time critical, at least at first glance. The first can possibly be completed at our leisure."

Lyndworm
2017-07-10, 12:42 PM
Rityr inclines himself toward the professor as he takes his leave, a slight bow to show his respects. "I agree." he says to Siobhan, reading from far over her shoulder. "These creatures seem an active threat, killing nightly. The book will no doubt be a great boon, but it is unlikely to be placed under any further protections in the near future." Smiling, he adds "Besides, I could do with a more interesting fight than nannying princes has provided."

Xanyo
2017-07-10, 12:52 PM
Stiin looks through the jobs and nods.
"I also agree. The second is indeed more urgent. In addition, there is something I want to acquire before completing the first, and my funds are rather limited at the present time. Unless any of you already happen to have a wand of Amanuensis, or are capable of casting the spell? Regardless, the records have been waiting three years, they can wait a little while longer. Although my skill set is more suited to the prior, I am not useless in combat."

Centaurion
2017-07-11, 01:06 PM
Cendrion has waited for the assessment of the others before sharing his own opinion:

"As you also might have guessed, I am also more suited for the first job. Which I find also more interesting, but I am also fine with first discovering the secret behind these bestial attacks. Let's just hope that these are really some kind of unusual foe, and not just bed time stories."

"Maybe to be a bit more precise on my skills. I am good at taking care of whatever device stands between me and a secret, be it trap or lock. In combat, I prefer to attack a target who is incapable to protect their more... vulnerable spots. Hit a giant over the head three times, he laughs, punctuate the bloodstream of his thigh and... I think you know the rest of this story." Not that he ever had actually slain a giant, but this was nothing to be discussed at this point. Or any other in the future.

Silverphantasm
2017-07-11, 02:27 PM
After 4 days of constant traveling the party was relieved to step off the river barge onto the rock laden shore of the lake, travel usually monotonous had been exceptionally varied,

They'd departed the next morning, just after the morning meal, blueberry pancakes with with sliced bananas and a sharp wedge of cheddar cheese, the professor had wished them luck on their job, commenting that he didn't have much more information for him, but that they should try to contact Horace Grundson once they reached the island.

"He was an associate of mine during my travel when I was younger, he retired to the island 10 years ago, so he should be very well informed as to what may have recently changed. Also, despite our goal to work against the Onphryn church, there are people who lack the foresight to see them for the dangers they are, these are still good people who help many a person in need, try to use your own sense of judgment and observations when you meet a member of the church, it could be that you find us an internal ally."

They'd left the university in a modest but comfortable carriage, whose journey despite the horses swiftness was nearly hours long, fortunately the carriage had several bottles of chilled wine & a small number of tobacco cigars.

The second day had been a physically demanding surprise, leaving Kulnora at daybreak and having to ride donkeys, the only "commercial" pack animal mobile enough, to take them down the canyon to the Nidewaul river in it's trough. There was another alternative route that nobles or wealthy merchants could afford, a series of baskets supported by pulleys and ropes criss-crossed around the canyon, the price for this luxury ride... 1 sp per pound. The mule driver was a red faced dwarf who despite his ruddy appearance was a talented singer, he'd serenaded them down the entire ride.

The last 2 days had been easy going enough, the Nidewaul river was a gentle wide river running nearly 100 leagues from the north to south, Kulnora though only 5 miles away was a day's journey from the river due to the treacherous road leading from the plateaus above to the water basin. They'd boarded a massive 2 story raft, the lower level was open to livestock and loads of hay & barrels of ale & sacks of grain, with support pillars braced every 10 feet or so. The second level had rooms for rent, their contents a 4'x 8' cot, and small chest, and a lock on the door.

Xanyo
2017-07-11, 04:46 PM
While others in his group rode donkeys(exception: the short one rode a... thing. Badger or something), Stiin rode high on his own horse, a gray haired mare with a tendency to swing it's tail into the short ones face. Despite this relatively luxurious ride, however, when it was over, he complained loudly of saddle soreness. It seemed evident that he didn't usually ride particularly long distances. After getting off the raft, his only comment was good riddance.
Throughout the journey, the group had to endure his constant complaining, but after a while they began to get used to it. Probably. The short one, maybe not. Hard to tell. After some time, he had stopped bothering to direct his yammering at the tall one.

Lyndworm
2017-07-13, 06:11 PM
Rityr allowed a gluttonous streak to show through when faced with such quality the next morning, making short work of a great many pancakes. The cheese and fruit didn't fair much better. He was sure to thank the professor again for his hospitality before departing. As the group leaves the tower, a large raven flies down onto Rity's hand and clacks at him a few times. "Hello, Havram." the armored man says, softly. "We're heading out now. These others are coming along to fight with us." The bird responds in child-like Common, saying "I don't like them, but OK." With a smile, Rityr proceeds to the carriage, the raven on his shoulder.

Rityr helped himself to the wine and cigars provided on their carriage ride, and grunted an appreciative sound at them. He was fairly quiet throughout the ride, speaking only when spoken to or when absolutely necessary. He was happy to sit in relative silence, sated and pampered in the calm before the storm.

When the group decided to travel by donkey, Rityr was actually not entirely displeased. He'd always liked horses and donkeys, thinking they were a lot smarter than most gave them credit. Even Stiin was being more tolerable lately. When he saw that the other human had arranged for his own mount to be delivered to Kulnora Rityr couldn't help but roll his eyes a little. The peace he'd had for the last day was rapidly evaporating, so he resigned himself to his fate. Despite Rityr's best efforts at remaining grumpy, their dwarf guide lifted his spirits somewhat.

Upon arrival at the raft, Rityr was glad to stretch his legs for a bit. Friend to animals or not, he'd had about enough livestock in his day if he could help it, so Rityr saw about getting a cabin on the second floor.

Centaurion
2017-07-14, 05:10 PM
Cendrion

During the days of the journey, the elf's behavior undergoes certain transformation. When he was somewhat aloof, and "raising-eyebrow-ish" on their first meeting, this cover peels away day by day. In fact, he becomes much more sociable when interacting with his new colleagues, and his curiosity shows with the many, sometimes well-padded questions he asks about their origin or their set of skills. The amount of information he shares about himself is still somewhat sparse, but it is clear that he is some kind of thief who is the offspring of not the poorest of all parents.

When the donkey ride becomes imminent, he is actually looking forward to it, as the opportunity to learn how to ride never came up before. He does, however, eye the expensive basket system with a certain desire in his eyes, making a mental note to ride this at some point in his life.

When they board the marine transit, he puts on his social mask again, showing a slight dislike towards being transported together with cattle, and the like. Those in the group who have spent some attention the last days though, will easily realize that it's more a mask than anything. Actually, he seems to get more exciting with every hour getting nearer to their target.

Taelas
2017-07-14, 06:20 PM
Siobhan grins at the sight of Rityr's raven, insisting on introducing herself to the animal. "Hello Havram," she says after overhearing the human name the animal. She gives it a nod, introducing herself: "I am Siobhan, and this is Jaerv. Don't worry; he won't hurt you!" She pats the wolverine on its snout.
She offers the raven a bit of blueberry pancake that she had saved from breakfast. She gives Jaerv a bit of dried sausage from her pack on the animal's back.

During the trip, Siobhan contributes to the group's food stores by hunting and foraging in the evening, bringing in small game, fruits, nuts and berries. Every time she's been out, she offers some sort of snack to the raven upon her return. Taking 10 on Survival checks as necessary for a total of 23.

She utterly ignores Stiin's complaints, merely rolling her eyes at them to the others when the man isn't looking.

On the raft, she sets about getting a cabin for her and Jaerv, keeping the wolverine away from the livestock on the lower level.

Silverphantasm
2017-07-15, 02:30 PM
The group stands on the simple wooden dock, old but firm, the river they'd drifted down for two days on their left, the lake stretching in front of them and to their right. The flow of the river over the course of time had desposited debris and silt on the north edge of the island, creating a field of dead & rotting plant matter that while it decayed had mosses, ferns, and other plants take root on and around them, creating a small marsh on the north side of the island. Despite the build up it was still over a quarter mile from where they stood, and they'd been warned by the barge master that it was quite deep, though until recently people had often swum the distance.

It was mid afternoon, with around 6 hours of day light left, traces of smoke lifted from the center of the island, no doubt the village (or its smoldering remains). The eastern side of the island had several abrupt rising sheer stone cliffs, that quickly tapered down the further south one went, the western side was covered in various foliage, combinations of deciduous trees with a pine or spruce randomly dotting around them.

On their side of the water further down the bank on their right was a modest sized inn, there were several small wagon trains positioned around the three land based sides of the structure, while the fourth had small fleet of fishing boats, as well as an additional few larger passenger boats, and 2 barges similar to the one they'd ridden.
(Knowledge History).

Upon approach the group is greeted by a comely young girl with light brown hair, see bids you enter the inn and asks if you have a preference on drinks or would simply like some wine or ale. A group of green & grey skinned orcs & half-orcs eye you as you walk in, one of them, thin despite his height and wearing a series of patched wolf pelts stares at Rityr as though trying to place him. The table the orcs are sitting at is littered with used mugs, plates recently eaten from, and is covered in bread crumbs.

The girl indicates that any table the group chooses is fine, and leaves for drinks, a faint melody drifts across the room from a half-elf who seems to be mindlessly playing with a pan flute, apart from these occupants the room easily capable of seating around a hundred people is empty, though no dust rests on the tables or floor.

Xanyo
2017-07-17, 01:09 PM
Stiin eyes all the potential food hungrily, and his hand drifts towards his money purse, but as soon as he feels it, his expression drops. He turns down any food or drink.
He looks about at the patrons, his eyes skimming uninterestedly. He finds a fairly clean table and seats himself, sighing.

Silverphantasm
2017-07-17, 02:37 PM
The girl returns after a few minutes with a tray laden with 5 ale filled mugs, each filled to the brim and capped with a layer of foam. It is a simple drink, lacking in deep flavor or scent, but it's nearly ice cold, with rivulets of condensation adhering to the metal sides of the mug.

After setting them down, she waves her hand for a few moments before pointing to the table, then quickly departs for another round as the orcs hail her to come to them. The thin orc has returned his attention to his companions at large, but occasionally glances back a look of irritation growing as he seemed unable to remember some incident.

The off tune music halts and the half-elf approaches his voice is high and ringing, as though he is used to speaking loudly to many people. HELLO there, you lot must simply be the group Suidacra mentioned. He pulls out the last chair, spins it around then sits with his chin resting on his folded arms, kept aloft by the firm back of the wooden chair. He is dressed in a combination of loose mix match rags adorned with diamond checkered patch work, though they didn't distract from his manners, he looked like a court jester. That old coot told me to wait round here till a group of folks showed up, and then to take you across the lake in my skiff. He even paid in advance, else-wise I wouldn't still be here.

Lyndworm
2017-07-17, 07:40 PM
As Rityr draws the thin orcs attention, he holds the man's gaze for just a moment before actively avoiding it. He nods and smiles at the servant girl, murmuring a thanks when she presents ale for the table. He takes a small, testing sip of the brew and is visibly excited at its temperature. "It's been far too long since I've had a drink this cold." he says before downing half the mug.

When the half-elf sidles to their table, Rityr's apparent joviality fades quickly. He scowls slightly as the man introduces himself. Rityr says "It's fortunate for us all that you stuck around, then. I'm Rityr." He sticks out his hand for the man to shake "Might I know the name of our skiff, Captain?"

Silverphantasm
2017-07-17, 09:37 PM
The man's hand despite being thin is firm, and calloused on the joints of his fingers, exactly where a rope would slide across his hand.

I call 'er the Dragon-Lily, on account a'her sails going out over the water like wings, she ain't the prettiest ship nor the fastest, but she'll get you across the lake easy enough. Are you lot looking to go today, it'll take about two hours with the wind and current, and we'll get there just a'for dusk. But I warn ye, I'm not staying the night over there, soon as I dropped you off, I'm opening the sails and catching the evening breeze straight back here. I'll even come back for you, tomorrow round midday, but then I'm shipping off, and you'll have to make your own way back.

Finishing his statement he started sipping from his mug of ale, eyes on the waitress, a look of lust and envy slowly etching itself on his face.

Lyndworm
2017-07-17, 10:31 PM
"That'll work for me." Rityr says with a nod. He chances a glance at the orc's table before continuing. "If we don't make it back to the skiff by noon we're probably dead anyway. Is there anything we should do to help ready the Dragon-Lily?"

Centaurion
2017-07-18, 06:42 AM
Cendrion had entered the tavern slightly worrying about the right way of behavior, maybe if they should come up with a clever story about who they were or why they stuck together, but then, everything much fortunately evolved without any kind of charade.

"Round's on me, friends." He announces when drinks are coming, padding Stiin lightly on the shoulder in a trial of integrating him. And just when the waitress goes back to the orcs, he tells her: "Please, also bring those fellows one more of what ever they prefer, my treat."

Then, the patchwork-jester-skiff-captain arrived. Admittedly, Cendrion had no idea what exactly a skiff was, but apparently it would bring them over the water.

Silverphantasm
2017-07-19, 11:16 AM
Nodding appreciatively at Cendrion, the half-elf grinned as he tipped the mug back and took a few drafts, "Name's Kaio by the way, I hope my outfit doesn't discourage you about my sailing, it may look odd, but it keeps you cool in the summers & warm in the winters, I bought them off an old royal jester from Ragnelem, a year ago, said they's was magic but couldn't prove it, still they're nice enough and at 10 gold for a set of maybe magic cloths......I figured it was worth a gamble, but ever since people have been weary to hire me, its odd, either do lots of work uncomfortably or some work in bliss...... you can tell which I prefer."

"Anyways," taking another series of drafts from the mug he sat it down with a small thud and a sigh of satisfaction, " I'm going to head out and ready the lily, you lot come out whenever you're done and ready." He stood up with the smallest hit of a sway, then walked to a side door, pulled it open, the lake gleaming on the other side then walked through and closed it behind him.

Lyndworm
2017-07-22, 05:58 PM
Rityr quickly downs the rest of his warming ale and looks around the room slowly. He slides his chair away from their table and says "I don't have much else to do here. I'm going to join Kaio by his skiff and see if I can't make myself useful." Rityr stands then, tossing a silver piece on the table, and moves to follow their skiff captain outside.

Silverphantasm
2017-07-23, 04:51 PM
As Rityr walks towards the door, there's a loud scraping and a thud, the thin orc had suddenly jumped to his feet.

"I knew it was you. You're the son of a curr who led the Black Shields against the Orc's of Gavlaheim. You bastard, you lead the charge and expect to just walk past us without a fight?"

The orc know stands just out of reach an iron mace gripped tight in his right hand, his left held a dagger blade down, he stared at Rityr with a look of hate and rage, whatever composure was holding him would soon end.

Xanyo
2017-07-23, 05:34 PM
Stiin looks up at the commotion, keeping a calm composure as he evaluates the situation. He leans forward with a pleasant smile.
"Calm yourself, friend. You do not meet on the field of battle now, you have no incentive to fight. I know not under what circumstances you fought, but I am sure it was impersonal. Most likely, both of you were simply doing your job. There is no reason to risk your life now that nobody is making you do it. Why don't you sit down and enjoy the drinks my honorable friend bought you? I'm sure he bears no hard feelings against you, so why should you? After all, I've heard of many enemy soldiers who, meeting outside the field of battle, quickly became friends."
If this is enough to get him to hold off long enough to use Diplomacy, here's the roll(-10 if I only have one round for it)
[roll0]

Lyndworm
2017-07-23, 06:01 PM
Rityr sighs slightly before responding. "I expected to continue on my business, yes." he says calmly. "I'm not sure who you are or what your specific quarrel with me is, but today's not the day to do this. I'll remind you that the orcs at Gavlaheim had an army. You don't have enough to hold an inn. Take a breath, put your toothpick down, and remember your place." To the group, the man seems like he's actively trying to keep the malice out of his voice. Rityr places his hand gently on the haft of the flail at his hip, not exactly reaching for the weapon just yet. "Please."

Diplomacy Roll:
[roll0]

Rityr Zald (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1235143)
Male Lawful Evil Human Paladin of Tyranny, Level 4, Init +1, HP 34/34, Speed 20ft
AC 20, Touch 11, Flat-footed 19, Fort +9, Ref +5, Will +7, Base Attack Bonus +4
+1 Heavy Flail +9 melee (1d10+7, 19-20/x2)
2 Daggers +8 melee | +5 ranged (1d4+4, 19-20/x2)
Light Crossbow (20 Bolts) +3 ranged (1d8, 20/x3)
+1 Full Plate (+9 Armor, +1 Dex)
Abilities Str 18, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 10
Condition Under the Effects of Endure Elements (24 hours)

Centaurion
2017-07-23, 06:29 PM
Cendrion

The "honorable friend" nods in agreement to Stiins trial of calming the minds.

"In fact I had hoped to have finally found someone for a few rounds of Raltar Zakul..."

Raltar Zakul (orc for "Spin the Dagger") is a game where a dagger is spun on a table by the current player. When it stops spinning, the one the blade points to can choose between "Might" and "Wits". The current player may then come up with a challenge that tests the selected ability (might / wits). Of course, there exist a variety of exceptions / special rules.

Going for an aid another for Stiin here.
I have a +3 on Diplomacy. If possible, I'd take 10. If not:
[roll0]

Silverphantasm
2017-07-23, 11:28 PM
The orc's anger seems to flair when Stiin addresses him, and was appears to be about to respond when he hears Rityr's reply, after taking a long look at the flail hanging from the man's belt, the orc's face contorts with raw fury, slowly, he lowers his club till both of his arms are hanging loosely by his side. He snorts quickly and spits a green and brown globule towards Rityr, where it lands about a hand's width from his boot.

The orc turns to back to towards the table, muttering something low and in orcish, he seems utterly cheered at the thought.

(Listen check for any who speak Orcish)

Lyndworm
2017-07-24, 12:00 AM
Rityr works his jaw silently as he looks from the glob at his foot and back to the offending orc. "Very well.
If that's all for now, we have a schedule to keep." Rityr says as he continues outside. There'll be plenty of time to teach him manners on our way back. he thinks to himself.

No Orcish here.

Silverphantasm
2017-07-25, 02:45 PM
As Rityr steps outside, the orange glow of a descending sun illuminates the lake causing the whole surface to look like field of ice covered in snow, but as soon as he takes another step the sight vanishes, no longer perfectly aligned.

Kaio is busy working on a small, but sturdy looking keelboat, the craft has two sails that scissor together when pulled upright, but that would lean well over the sides when released. Obviously such a design was meant to act like a peacock, attracting attention and having little to do with function, any significant wave would hit the side masts and soak the sails, which would then fail to catch so much as a typhoon. The half elf is pulling on ropes, and tying ends down as he flits about the deck, moving quickly from one thing to the next, but just as quickly returning to make sure a knot held properly or a line was taught.

"Alright, I'm ready" the half-elf called up to tall man, once your friends come out, we're off.

Inside the Inn

Cendrion caught half of the last few words of the orcs sullen muttering as he pulled out a chair and resumed his seat, (...king human, the ...mera's should take ca.. of them.)

Lyndworm
2017-07-29, 04:57 PM
Rityr slows as he exits the building, taking in the sights. "I thought you said she wasn't pretty, Kaio. You shouldn't tell such lies." he teases their captain. Rityr boards the skiff.

Centaurion
2017-07-29, 08:57 PM
Cendrion slowly walks over to the orcs' table.

In common: "Guys, I don't know about your quarrel with my human fellow, and honestly, it's none of my business. I'm only interested in the job. You look like hardened warriors, so maybe you might know a thing or two about those mysterious attacks that we heard of? Strange creatures or so? We're here to bring them down and collect a bounty. Unless you guys are already on the job? So what about I buy you guys another round of drinks, and you tell me what you know about the whole thing?"

[roll0]
[roll1]

Silverphantasm
2017-07-30, 12:05 PM
The thin orc glares at Cendrion and plucks a dagger from the center plate,

"How 'bout I take this here fish gutter across your throat and you can take your drinks and shove 'em up your ars--"

"Glukom enough" the largest half-orc at the table stands, a gesture of dominance as the rest of the table falls silent, he grabs another chair, kicks one of his companions chairs to get it to slide and make room. Then offers it to Cendrion, as he speaks his accent is thick and gutteral, with odd pauses between certain words.

"Your drinks would be most welcome.... elf, as for your task we.......too were contracted to destroy the...... monsters afflicting.... the island, unfortunately we are.... ill equipped to fight them,....... with just sword and sling. They are creatures known as........ chimera's, at least 3, but I ....think 4. They breath fire and gas, strike with .......3 heads and can take to the sky...... to retreat when bested. We are returning to our village .......for better weapons, should be back in....... 2-3 days time. We will not hinder you...... now, but you should stay out of our way .......when we return."

Centaurion
2017-07-30, 12:27 PM
Cendrion

The elf tries to keep a stony visage when the one orc is trying to intimidate him, and slightly smiles when he is offered the chair. He sits and listens to what their apparent leader has to say. He then nods.

"Flying beasts with three heads, eh? Good there's four of us." He says, the last part being a dry joke. "Well, then I think we have a challenge set up here. Thank you and ... Rentrak telsar!" The orc sentence in the end meaning something like "Good game" or "May the stronger win".

He then stands again, nods at the orcs, and sees to find the waitress. He offers to pay for whatever the PC group has to pay, the drink for Kaio and the two rounds of drinks for the (half-)orcs. Finally, he asks whether she would be so friendly to prepare some packed lunches for them. Hoping that it all together is below 30 GP, he pays rounding up to the next 5GP interval.

If all is done, he leaves, the packed lunches in his handy haversack, and outside tells the others about what he has just learned.

Silverphantasm
2017-08-01, 01:53 PM
As Cendrion and the others, walk out of the inn and board the Dragon-lily, the sun appears to begin it's initial descent. Kaio uses a pole to guide the skiff around the docks and out onto open water, where he leans back and grasps a tiller in the rear of the boat, the craft is fast and very steady, slipping across the lake quick as a horse despite the minute breeze. After 15 minutes they'd cleared the length of the island kaio, swung the tiller and pulled sharply on a few a rope leading to the end of one of the sails, the craft rocked and leaned to the left executing a smooth but rather abrupt turn that when completed had them aligned perfectly to the docks of the island.

Or.... what had been the docks of the island, support struts and a few horizontal beams remained close to shore, but otherwise the little cove was littered with lumber and other bits of wood.

Damn, I thought they'd hold another day or so....

Kaio's face looks both anxious and irritated, he pulled another rope and both the side sails lifted, the boat began to slow and drifted into several pieces of debris, rocking the boat. Looking at the passengers in his boat, he let out a morbid chuckle his eyes looking at each of them, but ending with Rityr.

I don't suppose you'd like to swim the rest of the way?

He walks to the front of the boat, picking up a length of silk on his way, before he reached the bow, opened a box and with drew a large crossbow. quickly knotting the rope thru a hole in the quarrel, he raised the weapon, held for a moment then fired. The bolt flew thru the air, dragging the rope behind it, it arched up, then down before thudding into the last three feet of dock still connected to the mainland. The half elf, braced his legs against the arched bow, and begun pulling on the rope, slowly tugging them to the island, where a group of a dozen people were already clamoring together.

Lyndworm
2017-08-04, 08:42 PM
At the half-elf's question, Rityr gestures to his armor and says "I can swim if I have to, but I'd rather not." When Kaio launches the tether, he remarks "Well that's a neat trick! I'll remember that one." To the gathering group, Rityr announces "We hear you've got a monster problem! Looks like it's getting worse. My contract's already been signed, so point me in the right direction and I'll do for you what I can."

Xanyo
2017-08-05, 02:31 PM
Stiin doesn't look very eager at the prospect of swimming. When they reach shore, he does his best to get off the boat without getting wet. He surveys the gathered group, and promptly ignores them. He turns to Rityr, who he seems to have accepted as more important than the others.
"A marching order, then? I'd imagine you would go first, followed by me and the halfling, then the elf. Unless the halfling would like to scout ahead? Or the elf? Just make sure I'm within easy reach of each of you, should it become necessary."

Silverphantasm
2017-08-06, 09:26 PM
A large and gruff looking man on the shore steps forward,

Aye we've got a problem, I just hope you can handle it.....He looks the group over, well most of you look better than the orcs we just tried. I don't know how much you know, but there be 3 of these creatures and each has 3 heads, 1 lizard, another a goat, and the last a lion. They showed up about 3 weeks ago, and been killing folks and animals since.

He points to the edge of the village where a series of wagons seems to barricade a bit of the town, they always come from that direction, and always on foot to, once they kill some thing or get enough shafts in their skin they up and fly away.

They usually show up about an hour from now, one at a time, but within a minute they're all here, do you want us to help? We've got crossbows and some spears, but no swords or armor.

Lyndworm
2017-08-13, 09:59 PM
"I don't see how you could hurt, but your people have suffered enough." Rityr says to the large man, climbing out of the boat. "You should seek what cover you can, while you can. Thank you for the information; I think we can handle it from here." Rityr looks around the battered town and beckons to Havram, who alights onto his hand. "I need you to keep an eye out, OK? If you see any of these three-headed monsters, just start yelling and come back to me. Up you go!" The large raven gives his master a steady nod and flies into the sky, circling the area. Turning back to his group, Rityr says "If any of you magically inclined sort want to start preparing, now'd be the time."

Centaurion
2017-08-14, 10:59 AM
Cendrion

While Cendrion tries to seem as unaffected by the villagers' situation as he could, he cannot fully hide his compassion. One by one and on foot... Strange... Why would they not just fly here?

"Has anyone ever tried to follow them on foot to see where they are flying? Do they take their prey with them?"

Silverphantasm
2017-08-22, 09:14 AM
They don't take any of their victims with them, the man despite his gruff appearance & demeanor looked utterly defeated, as for following them, the group of folks who volunteer as guards and constables during festivals went after them one night, there was about a dozen of them running through the woods carrying torches and spears, but whatever those monsters are they made quick work of them, we found their bodies in the forest a few days later, half eaten and burned, smelling of rotten flesh and maggots.

The man looked hard at the group, both of my sons were in that group, they convinced me to stay and protect their wives and children, but the creatures got them last night, burned the house down, he points at a smoldering structure at the edge of town. You've got to stop them.