PDA

View Full Version : Epic 10

Arcangel4774
2017-06-26, 01:35 PM
I remember reading in somebodies signature here a ruleset that I recall being called epic 10. It basically capped leveling at 10 but had some additional asi and multiclass rules. I'd like to show my dm this, as it deals with how some late game spells and abilities trivialize things that would be fun to solve more creatively.

If anybody could point ne towards it, or if the created would please stand up, if be very appreciative.

Vaz
2017-06-26, 03:27 PM
There is E6 which was a 3.X game which essentially had the game Cap at 6th level, and at every 5000XP after Level 6, you'd get a new feat.

I'd assume the same would be here, except maybe include Epic Boons from the DMg as one of the options, and level 10, rather than 6. No idea how it scales with Proficiency.

Arcangel4774
2017-06-26, 03:33 PM
I think it was inspired by that system, but the rule I found here gave many asi and used them as currency to gain multiclass levels as feat chains are mostly analogous to subclasses in this edition

Laserlight
2017-06-26, 04:46 PM
I believe you are looking for Zman

Arcangel4774
2017-06-26, 05:27 PM
I believe you are looking for Zman

That was it, thank you.

thereaper
2017-06-26, 09:52 PM
If it were me, I would make 11th level epic. That's when 6th level spells, the Fighter's third attack, Reliable Talent, etc come into play. It also seems to be the last point at which the game was actually intended to be played.

DeAnno
2017-06-27, 04:45 AM
I'm in agreement that it should be E11 and not E10 if you're in that range. E11 would actually reward single class builds with capstones; there are plenty of reasons to multiclass so this balances things a bit. Level 11 is very consistently strong, and 10 is often forgettable.

Arcangel4774
2017-06-27, 10:47 AM
One of the interests for stopping at 10 was the strength introduced at level 11 (or so it seems) the 10 levels in the primary class are mandatory under the system, with multiclassing being bought with feats, of which there is extra interspaced between levels .

Arkhios
2017-06-28, 03:30 AM
If it were me, I would make 11th level epic. That's when 6th level spells, the Fighter's third attack, Reliable Talent, etc come into play. It also seems to be the last point at which the game was actually intended to be played.

It only looks like that. Classically many classes in early D&D had only up to 10 levels. (Also known as 'namelevels' where your character gained a title according to your class level. For example, a paladin wouldn't be referred to as a paladin until 9th level)

5e was designed with bits and pieces from every prior edition, so it does make some sense that 10th level is the "last" level to be played as regular heroes/villains, while 11th marks the point when your character becomes something truly extraordinary, beginning their journey to become a legend (in other words, Epic hero/villain)

That said, I could stand behind the E11 as well.

Rabbit_Shadow
2017-06-28, 08:35 AM
I am currently in a game with Zman in RL and we are trying out the E10 varient and it is going really well so far! I would also encourage you to check out his tweaks to 5E

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/r1cIv8B0g

Rabbit_Shadow
2017-06-28, 08:37 AM
I'm in agreement that it should be E11 and not E10 if you're in that range. E11 would actually reward single class builds with capstones; there are plenty of reasons to multiclass so this balances things a bit. Level 11 is very consistently strong, and 10 is often forgettable.

If i remember correclty he stopped at level 10 becuase we dont want to have level 6 spells or 3 attacks in the world. Sure the players dont get crazy spell's but that also means the BBEG does not get lucky on a disintergrate spell and cause a party wipe.

Zman
2017-06-28, 08:46 AM
*Stands Up*

Zman's 5e E10 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?521922-Zman-s-5e-Tweaks-E10-Variant-V1-0)

I'm running a game of it right now and overall I have to say it's going pretty stellar. We're at the "4.5" mark right now running through the accelerated levels 1-5. We've got a six person party, three of them have a single level in an secondary class, might have a fourth as one is considering their 4.5 ASI/Feat spending.. So far it has resulted in very vibrant and rich characters that are somewhat stronger than standard characters of their level, but overall it is working as intended.

I have a few ideas of how to refine it later, but I'll want to run it to the higher levels first. I don't think this version is far off the mark through.

If you're going to use this variant, please use some kind of expanded and rebalanced Feat list. It just won't work that well with stock 5e. We're using my 5e Tweaks and overall feel it's hitting the mark very well. I'm also working on an expanded monster manual that has other options designed with my Tweaks and my E10 in mind and am planning to sharing the WIP sometime soon.

If you have questions feel free to post them in the E10 thread or PM me directly.

Glad to see interest in my work.

Zman
2017-06-28, 08:50 AM
I am currently in a game with Zman in RL and we are trying out the E10 varient and it is going really well so far! I would also encourage you to check out his tweaks to 5E

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/r1cIv8B0g

If i remember correclty he stopped at level 10 becuase we dont want to have level 6 spells or 3 attacks in the world. Sure the players dont get crazy spell's but that also means the BBEG does not get lucky on a disintergrate spell and cause a party wipe.

Thanks rabbit!

Yes, I stopped it at level 10 to avoid the power escalation that happens at 11th level. Actually capped spells at 4th level, with a option to cast 5th+ spells as rituals, i.e. Story points. The 4th vs 5th is a sticking point for some, but I did not want things like Raise Dead floating around outside of plot centric rituals, call it a line in the sand. The goal was to stretch out my perceived sweet spot in the game where it really hits its stride that allows a reconcilable world that is manageable as a DM, but allows more depth and lateral character development versus more exponential vertical power growth.