PDA

View Full Version : It's a lame, moneymaking, childrens card game, but I love it.

Crilley
2007-08-05, 08:26 PM
deleteddddd

Ranis
2007-08-05, 09:15 PM
I know grown men who play that silliness. The card game was made based off of MTG, just like every card game that has been in existence for the past ten years, and the cards have hard edges, which mean they damage more easily, and they are flimsy. The text is too small, the pictures too big and try to look cool and fail miserably, and the entire card game as I understand it is being able to read your opponent's mind because the card-base metagame for it is so stale and saturated that there are only three decks you should play if you hope to get anywhere in a tournament.

So I really don't see how anyone could like it, to be honest.

Archonic Energy
2007-08-06, 03:59 AM
It's a lame, moneymaking, childrens card game
Yep.

Am I the only one who likes it?
nope
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i188/Archonic_NRG/2006_0131wii0004.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i188/Archonic_NRG/2006_0131wii0008.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i188/Archonic_NRG/2006_0131wii0007.jpg

Setra
2007-08-06, 04:23 AM
I like it a bit, but my brother, who is four years older thanme, is really into it.

He bought a Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon online for like $30.

I made a 40 card deck out of his spares and pretty much beat him all the time though.

Castaras
2007-08-06, 04:59 AM
Ahh...That ol' card game...

Brother and I used to have an ultimate rare...Dunno where it is now...

Actually, most of our cards are probably in a random plastic bag...along with our shinys...

Archonic Energy
2007-08-06, 05:01 AM
I like it a bit, but my brother, who is four years older thanme, is really into it.

He bought a Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon online for like $30.

I made a 40 card deck out of his spares and pretty much beat him all the time though.

BEUD is too hard to summon, same as Gate Guardian. they are good to sell to n00bs tho.
i like having lots of 4 star monsters and powering them up enough to kick the ...tar out of a BEWD... always funny waching the Seto Fanboiz/Fangrlz cry.

i like either light or dark decks & if i'm feeling particulaly devious using the odd deck-destruction deck, tends to keep people off gaurd

my most treasured card is a 1st Ed "Gaia the Dragon Champion" (picture 3) which i got in the FIRST deck of boosters i ever baught...

Jibar
2007-08-06, 05:03 AM
Oh Archie. I had such high hopes for you. You were going to be a General in my new Empire. You would have had your pick of land.
*sigh* I guess I'll just have to let Bosssmiley have your share of power.

Archonic Energy
2007-08-06, 05:21 AM
HEY! :smallfrown:
i'm quite happy to admit it's a sub par Magic rip-off (even the OP admits it's "lame") but it's FUN and that's all that matters to me.

i wouldn't judge you if you said you liked MoO3, or War Wind.

why the hate of Yu-Gi-Oh! ?

Jibar
2007-08-06, 05:40 AM
Me and my friends used to play, back when it was new in the country, and when we were actually of the age range the cartoon is aimed at.
Now, it shares a place with all other card games. Expensive.
Somebody has a spare deck going, I'll play them at anything, but personally I'll always save my money than get into collectable card games.
That's why instead of buying a Magic: The Gathering deck I'm going through all the trouble of getting a free one.

You're free to play by all means, but you'll have to excuse me if I don't exactly approve.

Ziren
2007-08-06, 06:02 AM
The card game was made based off of MTG, just like every card game that has been in existence for the past ten years

That's not quite true. There are a bunch of card games that have almost no similarities to MTG, but they are not really successful.

Setra
2007-08-06, 06:21 AM
BEUD is too hard to summon, same as Gate Guardian. they are good to sell to n00bs tho.
i like having lots of 4 star monsters and powering them up enough to kick the ...tar out of a BEWD... always funny waching the Seto Fanboiz/Fangrlz cry.

i like either light or dark decks & if i'm feeling particulaly devious using the odd deck-destruction deck, tends to keep people off gaurd

my most treasured card is a 1st Ed "Gaia the Dragon Champion" (picture 3) which i got in the FIRST deck of boosters i ever baught...
Actually he has a ton of cards made specifically for the purpose of making fusions easier.

Of course once he actually summons it, it usually takes less than a turn for me to kill it, usually with Skull Lair, or Magical Marionette.

I myself don't often fight directly with my monsters, and just much as let my traps and magic cards talk for me, then finish up with 5/6 stars.

Archonic Energy
2007-08-06, 07:25 AM
Actually he has a ton of cards made specifically for the purpose of making fusions easier.
which weighs his deck down. and that means it's not as flexible as a more well rounded deck.

Of course once he actually summons it, it usually takes less than a turn for me to kill it, usually with Skull Lair, or Magical Marionette.
that's the big problem with having 1 or 2 heavy hitters in your deck. trap & magic cards that destroy that monster or send it back into the opponents hand, making it hard/ impossible to re-summon...

I myself don't often fight directly with my monsters, and just much as let my traps and magic cards talk for me, then finish up with 5/6 stars.
Snap.

Triaxx
2007-08-06, 11:35 AM
It's also great for those of us who simply don't get the thousands of rules involved in MTG. Besides, no one else around here plays MTG.

PlatinumJester
2007-08-06, 12:00 PM
YGO the manga is great but the American Anime sucks. The characters seem to take take physical pain when they lose life points and they can touch the holigrams like they're solid. Funniest thing thouh is how their life seems to revolve around Duel Monsters.

LordVader
2007-08-06, 01:22 PM
I used to play, but eventually got kinda disenchanted by all the stupid monsters, especially Sonic Duck.:smalltongue: And that was like 15 sets ago. I gave it up for Magic, which I find, personally, to be much more complex and fun. But I had some good times with Yu-Gi-Oh.

I play Magic.:smalltongue: It's definitely more widespread then Yugioh, in any case. And speaking as someone who's played both, Magic is not complicated. The basic rules, I got in about five minutes. It just has almost limitless possibilities to exploit, once you get better at it. Once you've played both, Yugioh seems ridiculously simple (in a bad way).

Were-Sandwich
2007-08-06, 01:24 PM
What I want to know is why D&D catches flak about occultism and stuff, but YGO doesn't. Have you ever actually watched the cartoon? They get sucked to a shadow realm, and have to play a card game for their souls. Every damn episode.

I also don't like the game. I think its like an (even more) pathetic and childish version of Magic (which I like). Its not like they can even keep their theme straight. Some cards are ancient egyptian gods or Entities From Beyond, and then you get ones which are like toasters with wings, in the same game. At least magic can be consistent with its mage-punk theme.

The only good thing to come out of Yu-Gi-Oh! is that I want to call my kids Tristan and Jayden. They're pretty names.

LordVader
2007-08-06, 01:26 PM
The new yugioh show sucks, IMO. I much preferred the old one.
(Tristian's been around a lot longer then Yugioh, haven't you ever read any King Arthur books?:smalltongue:)

Closet_Skeleton
2007-08-06, 02:38 PM
The new yugioh show sucks, IMO. I much preferred the old one.
(Tristian's been around a lot longer then Yugioh, haven't you ever read any King Arthur books?:smalltongue:)

I have a relative named Tristan. Jaden gets used a lot for fictional characters but never met one in real life.

Kids that age are annoying though, so I try to avoid him.

Setra
2007-08-06, 02:52 PM
What I want to know is why D&D catches flak about occultism and stuff, but YGO doesn't. Have you ever actually watched the cartoon? They get sucked to a shadow realm, and have to play a card game for their souls. Every damn episode.
You're kidding right?

It was banned from every church I've ever seen. They were starting to make a huge deal about it, but then Harry Potter got big.

Then it died. So it doesn't really matter now.

Indon
2007-08-06, 02:54 PM
I played it once or twice, and I found the pacing to be very slow compared to Magic. As a result, I found it pretty boring.

PhallicWarrior
2007-08-06, 05:08 PM
Ahhhh, Yu-Gi-Oh. The one game where I could beat nearly any one at least once. Just had to keep spamming weak monsters in defense mode until my Shadow Ghoul comes up, then lay him down, count up the monsters in my graveyard and laugh at the look on my opponent's face as he realizes that he's dug his own grave. Pop glass armor on it to make it so the opponent can't attack anything else, and you've won the game. For those who don't know, Shadow Ghoul is, when used intelligently, one of the most powerful cards in the game. It gains a 100 pt bonus to ATK for every monster card in its owner's graveyard, so the swarm of creatures my opponent killed only made it stronger. The only ways to beat it would be the ever-reviled Man-Eater Bug, which can kill anything that attacks it, or Sword and Sheild, which swaps its atk and def.

TheOtherMC
2007-08-06, 05:13 PM
Ahhhh, Yu-Gi-Oh. The one game where I could beat nearly any one at least once. Just had to keep spamming weak monsters in defense mode until my Shadow Ghoul comes up, then lay him down, count up the monsters in my graveyard and laugh at the look on my opponent's face as he realizes that he's dug his own grave. Pop glass armor on it to make it so the opponent can't attack anything else, and you've won the game. For those who don't know, Shadow Ghoul is, when used intelligently, one of the most powerful cards in the game. It gains a 100 pt bonus to ATK for every monster card in its owner's graveyard, so the swarm of creatures my opponent killed only made it stronger. The only ways to beat it would be the ever-reviled Man-Eater Bug, which can kill anything that attacks it, or Sword and Sheild, which swaps its atk and def.

Yeah, back in the day I used to run a shadow ghoul deck using Mirage of NIghtmare and Forced Requisition. Mirage of NIghtmare made it that during my opponent's standby I drew untill I had 4 in my hand then during mine discard the same number I drew. Forced Requisition made it so whenever I discarded my opponent had to discard the same ammount. Id just drop monsters into my graveyard and watch my opponent die from having no hand.

Indon
2007-08-06, 05:15 PM
Just had to keep spamming weak monsters in defense mode until my Shadow Ghoul comes up,

What if you got it in your starting hand?

TheEmerged
2007-08-06, 05:41 PM
I've sworn off CCG's, having spent entirely too much money on MtG in the day. But I bought the Yugioh for the XBox and frankly have spent more time playing it than anything except maybe Morrowind. The AI in the XBox game is less-than-good but it was addictive enough to remind me why I swore off CCG's.

The thing that always drove me to distraction was that it seems that there's a core of 10-13 cards you want in every deck, and nothing to keep you from putting them (although there's restrictions on how many). I understand some of those cards are now banned from actual tourneys.

My deck is actually a fairly straightforward water-based beatdown deck, with only a few tribute monsters (which usually seem counterproductive).

Archonic Energy
2007-08-06, 05:43 PM
What if you got it in your starting hand?

wait... while spamming low level monsters.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-08-06, 06:17 PM
Heh, well, I personally like Yu-Gi-Oh!, though I don't find it to be of the highest quality, I still enjoyed both the game and the anime (admittedly the latter more than the former).

Reinforcements
2007-08-06, 08:43 PM
The only thing I have to say about Yu-Gi-Oh! is this:

My voice gives me super strength!

2007-08-06, 09:02 PM
The fact that the anime is about a card-game wherein the characters play a card game is so stupid I could never even try this thing out.

I mean, come on. In MtG you're at least pretending to be wizards dueling with spells and monsters. Even in Pokemon you supposedly went out and caught deadly monsters to make them fight to death for your own enjoyment.

In Yu-Gi-Oh? You're playing a cardgame about playing a cardgame.

Ranis
2007-08-06, 09:50 PM
All I ever got from the anime was "Screw the rules, I have money!" or "Screw the rules, I'm the main character!"

But most of the time, it was just "Does this game have rules at all?"

Destro_Yersul
2007-08-06, 10:36 PM
The only thing I have to say about Yu-Gi-Oh! is this:

My voice gives me super strength!

My hair gives me the power to defy gravity!

The Abridged series is, IMO, the best thing to come out of Yu-Gi-Oh. Which is overpriced, as it is. MtG you pay $5 for fifteen cards. YGO you pay $5 for nine.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-08-06, 10:52 PM
The fact that the anime is about a card-game wherein the characters play a card game is so stupid I could never even try this thing out.

I mean, come on. In MtG you're at least pretending to be wizards dueling with spells and monsters. Even in Pokemon you supposedly went out and caught deadly monsters to make them fight to death for your own enjoyment.

In Yu-Gi-Oh? You're playing a cardgame about playing a cardgame.
Actually, that's not true. The animé's about playing a card game, and when you buy the cards, you're just playing the same game they're playing in the animé.

It's still just Magic For Dummies though. And I could never get into either.

(...in America.)

RTGoodman
2007-08-06, 10:55 PM
MtG you pay $5 for fifteen cards. YGO you pay $5 for nine.

Five bucks for a Magic booster? And here I was so mad at paying $3.75 that I actually split a whole box of boosters with friends just so we'd only be paying about $2.58 per booster...

Anyway, I actually played Yu-Gi-Oh back in the day. And by that, I mean about 5 years ago when my brother was so desperate to play that he would buy me cards. I don't ever remember playing more than about 6-7 times, but I know that I took his copy of some Yu-Gi-Oh video game for Game Boy and played it throughout an entire summer vacation.

(And now I have the urge to find that game and play it again).

Gaelbert
2007-08-06, 11:30 PM
I actually exercised will power and didn't go out to buy a bunch of Yugioh cards when my friends started playing it. Lucky thing, too, cuz they stopped after a month.

Destro_Yersul
2007-08-07, 12:52 AM
Five bucks for a Magic booster? And here I was so mad at paying $3.75 that I actually split a whole box of boosters with friends just so we'd only be paying about $2.58 per booster...

Right, Exchange rate... I'm Canadian. :smallsmile:

Revlid
2007-08-07, 06:37 AM
The Abridged series is awesome, the actual anime/manga is ridiculous in both premise and execution.

I actually enjoy playing it, and buy the occasional GBA/DS game for it (with a gap of about a year or two to make the difference in new cards), and I have to say, I like it more with each new release. More and more decks become viable as time goes on; a card game that was once dominated by Dark 1800 Attack monsters (who made up 60% of the existing cards) slugging it out with eachother is now much more about guile and trickery. These days all of the 6 Elements can have proper decks built around them, and the number of powerful attribute-based decks is increasing all the time, not to mention decks based around a certain series of monster (Amazon, Harpy, Ancient Gear, Archfiend etc).

But I have neither the cash nor the patience to actually buy the cards, so I just play the games. :smallbiggrin:

Dallas-Dakota
2007-08-07, 09:49 AM
I looked at it and then never did it again.

If you like something like yu-gi-oh you should try MTG its allot better.

Alyorbase
2007-08-07, 10:49 AM
I toyed with Yu-gi-Oh a little bit, but at the time I was playing a CCG called Legend of the Five Rings. (think of is as kinda like magic but with 2 40-card decks, or at least that's what I've heard, I've never played MTG myself). I decided it wasn't worth it to play a game in which I will get owned by 12 year olds, so I dropped it really quickly. I did have 3 pieces of Exodia though, and was proxying cards to make a exodia summoning deck, but quit before I put too much thought into it.

Tengu
2007-08-07, 06:05 PM
A question that's only slightly offtopic - will I enjoy YGO Abridged without knowing absolutely anything about the manga, anime or card game?

BrokenButterfly
2007-08-07, 06:20 PM
There was a small buzz of younger kids playing this game at my school when it was released over here. I got a brief overview of the rules from a friend, and I simply did not like the system. I felt that it was a simplistic game, and I didn't like the art and card design either. I always remained a Magic player up until a few years ago.

Destro_Yersul
2007-08-07, 06:38 PM
A question that's only slightly offtopic - will I enjoy YGO Abridged without knowing absolutely anything about the manga, anime or card game?

Short answer? Yes. The Abridged Series is more about making fun of the ridiculousness on screen than anything else. So, for example, when one character almost never gets any screen time, the jokes will revolve around the other characters not knowing who they are, despite having gone to school with that character. (which gets shown in a flashback)

bingo_bob
2007-08-07, 06:52 PM
I used to play. One of the things that really drove me away from it was just how RARE rare cards were. Let's compare:
M:tG : for the price of a pack, you (usually) get 12 commons, 2 uncommons, and a rare.

YGO: For the price of a pack, you get 8 commons, and one rare, which could be of any number of rareness categories.

So a lot of time, you get stuck with cards that require a rare card that you don't have.

Also, cards never really tied into each other. I mean, with Magic, you get the sense that there's an actual WORLD behind all this. With YGO, nope.

Tengu
2007-08-07, 06:52 PM
Short answer? Yes. The Abridged Series is more about making fun of the ridiculousness on screen than anything else. So, for example, when one character almost never gets any screen time, the jokes will revolve around the other characters not knowing who they are, despite having gone to school with that character. (which gets shown in a flashback)

Good. I've watched only Naruto Abridged so far, and while I've heard that YGO Abridged is even better, I was a bit worried that I wouldn't get most of the jokes due to being completely unfamiliar with the original series. But since it does not seem to be the case...

rankrath
2007-08-07, 07:04 PM
Me and my friends play under the first season anime, Ie, BWED packs only, 2000LP, no tributes, no attacking LP directly, unless your opponent didn't play a monster.

Destro_Yersul
2007-08-07, 07:11 PM
That's another thing which gets me. Huge numbers. Why do you need to have a random creature with 500 attack? Because they have 2000LP of course! So why does the number have to be that high? The game designers said so! Probably be a much simpler game if you shaved a couple zeros off everything.

TheEmerged
2007-08-07, 07:11 PM
So a lot of time, you get stuck with cards that require a rare card that you don't have.

Oh Lord, you just brought back a horrible memory. I got one of the cards for a great water monster, but not the card required to summon it (it's one of those blue-backed monsters you can only special summon). I could never find out who in the game dropped the summoning card...

Ziren
2007-08-07, 07:46 PM
That's another thing which gets me. Huge numbers. Why do you need to have a random creature with 500 attack? Because they have 2000LP of course! So why does the number have to be that high? The game designers said so! Probably be a much simpler game if you shaved a couple zeros off everything.

The reason behind this is that huge numbers are simply more impressive. Compare "And now my monster has 25 Attack." to "I summon XYZ and he has a friggin 2500 Attack." It happens a lot, just look at Final Fantasy. Same ****, different toilet. A bigger problem is that the producers intentionally publish overpowered cards to boost sale numbers (Chaos Emperor Dragon for example) and on the other hand release dozens, if not hundreds of cards that can only be used as toilet paper (200/800 without any effect? Yeah, I'm totally going to play that card). The game could be pretty decent, but since it's just a money-making machine to the producers/publishers it can't even stay on that level.

Ranis
2007-08-07, 10:57 PM
In MtG, your cards could do all number of things with clever thinking, but in YGO, your cards do one thing, and maybe a couple more combined with other things. It contains just the right amount of thinking to keep me entertained, but not too much to get clouded.

I have the distinct impression that if you ever actually sat down and studied Magic on any of it's levels, that you would have a vastly different opinion.

Tengu
2007-08-08, 03:40 AM
Having watched all the episodes of YGO Abridged, I must say - dude, that's funny. The card game's existence is completely justified just so those movies could be created.

doliemaster
2007-08-08, 04:06 AM
Umm, I love the yugioh game, and I sat down an played magic, and it didn't leave much of an impression on me, I really only got into it because I like building decks for any game, also Yugioh is not a watered down magic, that would be duel masters, WOW, and multiple others like it.

Also itsn't trying to tell Yugioh players that magic is better kinda like telling people who play an unpopular Gaming system to play DnD or Gurps?

Tengu
2007-08-08, 09:00 AM
Oh, and one more thing.

http://www.geocities.com/martianrings_79/Otogi-ep118-39s.jpg
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/f/f5/250px-Solbadguy.gif

I'm pretty sure Guilty Gear came first...

TheOtherMC
2007-08-08, 10:00 AM
Oh, and one more thing.

http://www.geocities.com/martianrings_79/Otogi-ep118-39s.jpg
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/f/f5/250px-Solbadguy.gif

I'm pretty sure Guilty Gear came first...

Yes it did, we also know that if someone doesn't whack him in the meantime (Maybe Ky but he's a wuss so i doubt he's eb able to do it) Sol Badguy WILL live forever.

Therefore Sol Badguy= Duke Devlin!

ONE IN THE SAME!!!!! (He just got bored) Seriously look at his deck stuff. Orgoth the relentless is obviously to remind him of Potemtkin who he was friends with, Strike Ninja for Chip Zanuff and so on and so on...

-RANT END-

WampaX
2007-08-08, 10:17 AM
Its really odd to see which card games last the longest.
Its also really odd to see games that mimic other games, but last as long as they do.
Its also annoying that most of the unique games I've played have fallen by the wayside

That being said, Yu-Gi-Oh is one of the longest lasting semi-clones I have ever seen . . . ever. And I've been around since the days of Alpha.

TheOtherMC
2007-08-08, 10:23 AM
Its really odd to see which card games last the longest.
Its also really odd to see games that mimic other games, but last as long as they do.
Its also annoying that most of the unique games I've played have fallen by the wayside

That being said, Yu-Gi-Oh is one of the longest lasting semi-clones I have ever seen . . . ever. And I've been around since the days of Alpha.

Unfortunatly im JUST young enough not to ever see Alpha though I have plenty of reprinted beta's (White Borders) Drudge Skeletions FTW. I just found YGO to get waay too out of hand to keep up with.

.........when the hell did you lose an eye?

Nerd-o-rama
2007-08-08, 11:14 AM
Season 7.

doliemaster: There's a WoW card game? Are we talking about World of Warcraft, or another acronym for that?

And no, seriously, the Yu-Gi-Oh card game started with basically this thought process:

Kazuki Takahashi: "Hmm. I need something for the kids in my manga to play in the background."
Kazuki Takahashi: "I know, I'll base it off of that Magic: The Gathering the silly Americans are always playing. I don't want to learn all the rules or American copyright law, so I'll simplify it into a different game."
Yu-gi-oh! Readers: "OMFG Duel Monsters is the coolest game EVAR!"
Konami: "Takahashi-san, we will pay you zillions of dollars to let us market a real Duel Monsters card game, and change the premise of your manga to be based around it."
Kazuki Takahashi: "Okay!"

And thus, Yu-gi-oh! the card game was born.

Kjata
2007-08-08, 11:35 AM
Season 7.
<snip>

Really? Wow.

Yeah, i playedas a kid, and again like 2 weeks ago with 2 of my prep friends(ive got like 3 nerd friends anda lot that dont knowim a nerd) and had fun. Mainly because we where just srewing around lol.

Were-Sandwich
2007-08-08, 12:00 PM
Season 7.

doliemaster: There's a WoW card game? Are we talking about World of Warcraft, or another acronym for that?

And no, seriously, the Yu-Gi-Oh card game started with basically this thought process:

Kazuki Takahashi: "Hmm. I need something for the kids in my manga to play in the background."
Kazuki Takahashi: "I know, I'll base it off of that Magic: The Gathering the silly Americans are always playing. I don't want to learn all the rules or American copyright law, so I'll simplify it into a different game."
Yu-gi-oh! Readers: "OMFG Duel Monsters is the coolest game EVAR!"
Konami: "Takahashi-san, we will pay you zillions of dollars to let us market a real Duel Monsters card game, and change the premise of your manga to be based around it."
Kazuki Takahashi: "Okay!"

And thus, Yu-gi-oh! the card game was born.
lol, burned.

Jibar
2007-08-08, 12:35 PM
Season 7.

Is it bad that not only did I get that, I also laughed?

Vonriel
2007-08-08, 12:49 PM

Yes, there is. Sadly. (http://entertainment.upperdeck.com/wow/en/)

I didn't quite get the Season 7 comment..

Setra
2007-08-08, 12:50 PM
I was rearranging my room... And Actually found my deck.

The thing is like.. years old. Bet it still kicks ass.

Of course, I don't watch the anime, or the manga.. the card game was fun, even if a ripoff.

Thinking back. If only I had spent the money on MTG.

Ziren
2007-08-08, 03:20 PM
Let me tell you something: MTG is hyped, too. Probably even more than Yu-Gi-Oh. It just benefits from what I call the "LotR-effect": It was there first and somehow this seems to lead people to the assumption that it has to be the best one, although there are a lot other books/CCGs out there that are better* but not that famous.

*Yes, better is a relative term, but most people don't even try to compare MTG/Yu-Gi-Oh/whatever to other systems before they claim that their game is superior to others.

LordVader
2007-08-08, 03:24 PM
Well, I've played Yugioh and MTG, and trust me, MTG is better. IMO, of course.

Ziren
2007-08-08, 03:37 PM
Oh, you misunderstood me. It's not that I think that Yu-Gi-Oh is better than MTG, but there are other high-quality CCGs (such as the Legend of the Five Rings-game that was mentioned earlier) that neither the Yu-Gi-Oh- nor MTG-players have ever tried to play or even looked at, but they still act as if they were superior to players of said CCG (Especially the Magic-players around here, they aöways act kind of snobby).

So basically I just wanted to point out that Yu-Gi-Oh and MTG aren't the only CCGs in the world and if you look beyond your own nose, you might find one that is even more enjoyable (But it will most likely a smaller community, of course).

WampaX
2007-08-08, 04:04 PM
So basically I just wanted to point out that that Yu-Gi-Oh and MTG aren't the only CCGs in the world and if you look beyond your own nose, you might find one that is even more enjoyable (But it will most likely a smaller community, of course).

Too true. Nowadays if you don't have BIG MONEY backing you up, your game is dead (at least commercially) and won't last a fortnight as people are unwilling to invest in something fun over something that is profitable.

LordVader
2007-08-08, 04:16 PM
I haven't really found that many other games, unfortunately, probably for the reasons WampaX mentioned. I wish I had seen some more, but even some of the really hardcore hobby stores I've been to lack any but Pokemon, Yugioh and Magic.:smallfrown:

Nerd-o-rama
2007-08-08, 05:56 PM
Yes, there is. Sadly. (http://entertainment.upperdeck.com/wow/en/)

I didn't quite get the Season 7 comment..
Well, you answered my question, so I'll inform you.

It was a random, random Buffy the Vampire Slayer reference. TheOtherMC asked WampaX when the hell he lost an eye. I was reminded myself rhetorically asking the same thing about Xander when I started reading Buffy comics after only watching the first three seasons of the show. A friend later explained that he lost an eye at some point in season 7.

Since practically everyone on this forum is a Buffy fan, I threw it out there.

"Previously, on Buffy the Vampire Slayer...just kidding, it's only Yu-gi-oh."

Jibar
2007-08-09, 01:48 AM
A friend later explained that he lost an eye at some point in season 7.

Caleb, the crazy ass preacher with a flair for the First squished it out, after saying Xander was the one who "Sees everything." This was during an assault on Caleb's quarters, where two Potentials were also killed. Twins I believe too.
While in hopsital, Xander would get an eye patch and pretend he was a pirate. He was very happy with it, though possibly would have been happier if he still had his eye.

Yes. Yes. I watched Buffy faaar too much.

TheOtherMC
2007-08-09, 10:21 AM
*SNIP*

You obviously have no idea how cute all that just was.... :smallbiggrin:

I honestly think im the only one here who hasnt watched Buffy....not because I don't like it but that i never got the chance....

oh *INSERT SOMETHING RELEVANT ABOUT YUGIOH HERE*

Tengu
2007-08-09, 10:28 AM
I honestly think im the only one here who hasnt watched Buffy....not because I don't like it but that i never got the chance....

I haven't, apart from one episode long ago which I do not remember very well - the only thing I'm sure about is that it was crap, and it put me off the show completely. Possibly bad luck.

WampaX
2007-08-09, 10:30 AM
I haven't really found that many other games, unfortunately, probably for the reasons WampaX mentioned. I wish I had seen some more, but even some of the really hardcore hobby stores I've been to lack any but Pokemon, Yugioh and Magic.:smallfrown:

Well, same thinking for flgs as well. They want to put product on their shelves that sell . . . and that's inevitably the games backed by big money. Unless you find the little hole-in-the-wall that can afford to stock things that sell every so often.

I like those places . . . wish there were more of them.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-08-09, 12:29 PM
Caleb, the crazy ass preacher with a flair for the First squished it out, after saying Xander was the one who "Sees everything." This was during an assault on Caleb's quarters, where two Potentials were also killed. Twins I believe too.
While in hopsital, Xander would get an eye patch and pretend he was a pirate. He was very happy with it, though possibly would have been happier if he still had his eye.

By the time of the comics, he is, rather accurately, impersonating Nick Fury.

It's scary and adorable all at once.

Jibar
2007-08-09, 12:33 PM
By the time of the comics, he is, rather accurately, impersonating Nick Fury.

It's scary and adorable all at once.

Aahhh. Good to know my Xander is still the same.

Anyway, back to the Yu-Gi-Oh. (http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/32578346/?q=Yu+Gi+Oh&qh=boost%3Apopular+age_sigma%3A24h+age_scale%3A5&qo=7)

Alyorbase
2007-08-09, 03:51 PM
Well, same thinking for flgs as well. They want to put product on their shelves that sell . . . and that's inevitably the games backed by big money. Unless you find the little hole-in-the-wall that can afford to stock things that sell every so often.

I like those places . . . wish there were more of them.

that's actually how I got into Legend of the Five Rings (L5R). There is one store in my area that sells the cards. Thankfull that place is also a Comic/Gaming/Anime store as well, so needless to say most of my friends and I were over there all the time. L5R has a pretty big backing, nowhere near MTG Yugioh or Pokemon, but it's the only card game I know of (haven't played many) that is based on a storyline, and how the major tournaments for the game go affects the storyline. I quit playing it due mostly to not having enough money for a CCG, DnD, WoW, and bills, so something had to go.

Shades of Gray
2007-08-09, 06:56 PM
I played YGO with my sister, and got burned every time. seriously she would do this- Some fire sorceress card that gave her the ability to deal LP dmg to me whenever she healed LP. A mermaid that gave her the ability to gain LP every turn. A Blue Eyes with a ring of magnetism so i couldn't attack either... ya. She beat me in like 7 turns or so. damn burner decks.

in america, cards duel you.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-08-09, 07:02 PM
I'm not a CCG player, nor did I watch the Yugioh animé past the first season (I was like 12. Shut up), but it seems to me the strategy would be to use some sort of trap or sorcery card that eliminated a single part of the combo, preferably the dragon, as that would be the hardest to get rid of with normal monsters. I seem to recall there being an abundance of instant death cards.

Either that, or buy an expensive card that can just overpower the dragon. But I doubt you'd want to spend your own money on this.

Attention Duelists! My hair is going to work an Abridged Series reference into every one of my posts in this thread. Even if it takes another 200 bloody episodes!

DarkLightDragon
2007-08-11, 05:38 AM
AE... How did you get Exodia? And I have the cards to summon Dragon Champion, but not the Dragon Champion itself... You're lucky to have that... Although I have a shiny DM and Monster Reborn... Hehe!

Anyway, I've seen the anime and think it's funny. I have a couple of decks of cards but haven't played any proper matches.

You're not the only one who likes it! :smallbiggrin:

Dorizzit
2007-08-11, 05:54 AM
Hello. I enjoy the game, and play a deck based around the Dark Paladin.

TheOtherMC
2007-08-11, 09:31 AM
Just dug out my deck.

Perfect Machine King FTW!

Manave_E_Sulanul
2007-08-11, 07:22 PM
I have a water deck that focuses on the two different penguin cards to return monsters to your hand so I can smash you in with easy summoned cards thanks to Legendar Ocean. Haven't touched a new card in 2 years though. :-\

Malic
2007-08-11, 08:05 PM
I used to like it alot. I have a shoe-box full of them.I also have the original dual-disk with my warrior deck in it. I stopped playing two year's ago. I play from time to time when I visit my freind's at my old town. Good time's...Good time's...:smallamused:

Were-Sandwich
2007-08-12, 06:42 AM
Whats with those plastic arm-thingies anyway?

DarkLightDragon
2007-08-12, 08:04 AM
Whats with those plastic arm-thingies anyway? I think you're talking about duel-disks. The characters use them in the show, but I don't get the point of them in real life. It would be cool if they COULD project holograms though. :smallbiggrin:

sapphail
2007-08-12, 08:58 AM
Never played the game, but does anyone know what's going on with the Abridged series? It's off youtube, and I don't think dailymotion are running it anymore either. Has it migrated anywhere?

Castaras
2007-08-12, 08:59 AM
http://www.yugiohtheabridgedseries.com/

Try this site.

Calamity
2007-08-15, 05:05 PM
Never played the game, but does anyone know what's going on with the Abridged series? It's off youtube, and I don't think dailymotion are running it anymore either. Has it migrated anywhere?

Actually it seems LK re-uploaded all the abridged videos on dailymotion, along with the ZOMG new episode!

Oh, and speaking of which, this thread needs a new title:

Don'tcha wish your card games were FUN like mine?"