PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Pact of the Eldritch Fist

Mcdjangali
2017-06-26, 11:03 PM
Revamped the whole thing. I think it's a lot more balanced now. I made it so it's pretty much a warlock channeling his power to be like a monk. Much like how a blade pact is like a fighter but still pretty different.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-T9Q_W1Yy-KV9FoSCE37-yw9_ocmFwdl9jo2s4xG9yw

GalacticAxekick
2017-06-27, 02:42 AM
None of these features are marked by level. Without knowing when they're acquired, this is impossible to critique thourghly.

Also, these don't really follow the rhythm of Warlock pact features, which is a good yardstick to make sure your pact is functioning properly (eg. not too strong or weak, not to fragile or durable)

Finally, someone who wants Monk features should play a Monk. By giving them to the Warlock, you make multiclassing redundant, make the classes samey, and risk making the Warlock doubly powerful. Instead, aim for features that synergize with the Monk: unique features that would complement Monk features if you multiclassed.

The general rhythm for Warlock pact features is as follows:

1st level: Expanded Spell List.
This grants two 1st level spells at 1st level, two 2nd level spells at 2nd level, two 3rd level spells at 3rd level, and so on until 5th level.

1st level: Reliable Offense or Utility
This feature should encapsulate what your archetype is about, and be available either constantly (passive? at will?) or frequently (recover after short rest? activates after trigger?). It should scale to remain useful into later levels, or it should ignore stats (like the telepathy of the Awakened Mind feature).

6th level: Trump Defense
This should be a powerful defensive feature that turns tides, and is limited in uses as such. There can be an offensive element, but it should not be the primary function of this feature.

10th level: Reliable Defense
This feature should be passive, but powerful enough to justify being a 10th level feature. It might offer defense against a common threat, the power to change your defense to suit changing threats, a combined defense and offense against an obscure threat.

14th level: Trump Offense or Utility
This feature should once again encapsulate what your archetype is about. It must be extremely powerful, and limited to once per long rest as such.

With this is mind, here's how I'd write your archetype:

1st level: Expanded Spell List.
The typical Warlock, and indeed the typical spellcaster, seeks to do the undoable. Firing blasts of force, hurling fire, sculpting illusions and probing minds, these Warlocks are as spectacular as they are obvious.

Others, however, seek to do the doable without effort, and to do it better than the mightiest brute, the most savvy veteran, and the most devout monk. These Warlocks boast incredible—sometimes superhumanoid—strength, speed and fortitude, and fight with their own two fists.

Spell Level
Spells

1st
Jump, Longstrider

2nd
Barkskin, Enlarge/Reduce

3rd
Haste, Water Walk

4th
Freedom of Movement, Stoneskin

5th
Bigby's Hand, Destructive Wave

1st level: Eldritch Blow
When an unarmed strike , you use your Charisma modifier for the attack and damage Rolls. You must use the same modifier for both rolls. Your unarmed strike can be your pact weapon, should you choose the Pact of the Blade.

In addition, when you cast a spell that requires a ranged spell attack, you can instead make a melee spell attack with a range of touch.

Finally, you can make a melee spell attack with a range of touch against a creature that provokes your attack of opportunity.

6th level: Arcane Bloom
As an bonus action on your turn, or as a reaction after you are take damage, you can spend hit dice as you would during a short rest and regain half of the total.

10th level: Eldritch Might
You can use your Charisma rather than your Strength to determine your carrying capacity and jump height/distance, and you can roll Charisma (Athletics) instead of Strength (Athletics) when you attempt to (resist a) grapple or shove.

A creature you have successfully grappled is your choice of Blinded, Deafened, Silenced or Restrained until they are released.

A creature you have successfully shoved can be thrown an additional height or distance equal to your running jump.

14th level: God Hand
When you successfully shove a creature, you may choose to throw them 10 times the normal distance. If the creature collides with a surface, it falling damage determined by the distance it could not travel and ceases to move. Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.

Certainly not ideal, but I hope this is a good place to jump off with your own ideas!

Lalliman
2017-06-27, 05:36 AM
@GalacticAxekick, you're mistaking a Pact Boon for an Otherworldly Patron. Mcdjangali's is an alternative to Blade, Tome or Chain. Yours is an alternative to Fiend, Fey or Great Old One. (Though it lacks the flavour of having an actual patron attached.) That being said, your version seems cool to play.

Anyways, I don't agree that you shouldn't make archetypes based on the features of other classes. By that measure, Ranger, Paladin, Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster shouldn't exist either. That's not how the design philosophy of 5e works.

Regardless, Mcdjangali's version is an awkward way of accomplishing the intended goal. You get Unarmoured Defence and Martial Arts, but only for 3-5 minutes per day. So are you going to walk around unarmed and unarmoured until your Eldritch Fist charges run out, and then put on some light armour and grab a sword? That's just weird, especially if you follow the six encounters per day rule. (Few people do, but that's the game's assumption, so it should probably harmonise with that.)

If you want to be a monklock without it taking up your Otherworldly Patron, I would suggest something like this.

1. Pact of the Fist gives you the monk's martial arts feature, but only for unarmed strikes. It works while armoured, but it doesn't scale beyond d6 damage. It counts as Pact of the Blade for the sake of invocations.

Explanation: d6 damage is what you could normally achieve using weapons. The damage progression of Martial Arts is part of the monk's scaling, but doesn't necessarily mesh with other classes. Lifedrinker can further boost your damage.

2. Create an invocation that grants you Charisma-based Unarmoured Defence.

Explanation: Attaching the cost of an invocation removes the need for time limit. It also makes it optional, which means people can play an armoured punchlock if they want. This invocation is slightly more powerful than Armour of Shadows, but I think it might be fine if you limit it to Pact of the Blade and Pact of the Fist, since they're slightly more MAD than the average warlock, and melee warlocks could use a bit of a boost anyways.

Mcdjangali
2017-06-27, 08:39 AM
@GalacticAxekick, you're mistaking a Pact Boon for an Otherworldly Patron. Mcdjangali's is an alternative to Blade, Tome or Chain. Yours is an alternative to Fiend, Fey or Great Old One. (Though it lacks the flavour of having an actual patron attached.) That being said, your version seems cool to play.

Anyways, I don't agree that you shouldn't make archetypes based on the features of other classes. By that measure, Ranger, Paladin, Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster shouldn't exist either. That's not how the design philosophy of 5e works.

Regardless, Mcdjangali's version is an awkward way of accomplishing the intended goal. You get Unarmoured Defence and Martial Arts, but only for 3-5 minutes per day. So are you going to walk around unarmed and unarmoured until your Eldritch Fist charges run out, and then put on some light armour and grab a sword? That's just weird, especially if you follow the six encounters per day rule. (Few people do, but that's the game's assumption, so it should probably harmonise with that.)

If you want to be a monklock without it taking up your Otherworldly Patron, I would suggest something like this.

1. Pact of the Fist gives you the monk's martial arts feature, but only for unarmed strikes. It works while armoured, but it doesn't scale beyond d6 damage. It counts as Pact of the Blade for the sake of invocations.

Explanation: d6 damage is what you could normally achieve using weapons. The damage progression of Martial Arts is part of the monk's scaling, but doesn't necessarily mesh with other classes. Lifedrinker can further boost your damage.

2. Create an invocation that grants you Charisma-based Unarmoured Defence.

Explanation: Attaching the cost of an invocation removes the need for time limit. It also makes it optional, which means people can play an armoured punchlock if they want. This invocation is slightly more powerful than Armour of Shadows, but I think it might be fine if you limit it to Pact of the Blade and Pact of the Fist, since they're slightly more MAD than the average warlock, and melee warlocks could use a bit of a boost anyways.

I think the Patron would be a better choice for a full Warlock monk blend but I wanted to use the Pact to get a taste. I was thinking of using the Bladesong mechanic.

So,
Bonus Action activation
1min duration
2/short rest
Cha bonus to AC when wearing light armor or less and no shield
D6 unarmed strike dmg (Dex or Str)
When you take the attack action, you can use your bonus action to make another unarmed strike

When not activated your unarmed strike damage is d4 (Str or Dex)

Add and invocation to up the damage to d8 at some point, and can take Pact of the blade invocations.

Is it the best way to do it? Probably not and I am open to more input

I'm more interested in, is it balanced for use?

I really appreciate you all taking the time to review and providing feedback.

zeek0
2017-06-27, 09:45 AM
I think the Patron would be a better choice for a full Warlock monk blend but I wanted to use the Pact to get a taste. I was thinking of using the Bladesong mechanic.

So,
Bonus Action activation
1min duration
2/short rest
Cha bonus to AC when wearing light armor or less and no shield
D6 unarmed strike dmg (Dex or Str)
When you take the attack action, you can use your bonus action to make another unarmed strike

When not activated your unarmed strike damage is d4 (Str or Dex)

Add and invocation to up the damage to d8 at some point, and can take Pact of the blade invocations.

Is it the best way to do it? Probably not and I am open to more input

I'm more interested in, is it balanced for use?

I really appreciate you all taking the time to review and providing feedback.

I'd make the claim that giving a character unarmored defense and martial arts isn't much of a boon (it just brings you up to par, and gives you the TWF style). Also, two 1-minute uses and recharge on a short rest kinda means that you have it for 80% of combat - I'd feel comfortable giving it 100% of the time.

If you aren't comfortable with granting the TWF style, then making your strikes magical would be okay instead.

Be sure to only allow a bonus strike after an attack with a light weapon or an unarmed strike - like the monk feature. Otherwise you can punch after you swing with a greataxe, or fire a longbow.

As for names, you could call it Pact of the Vessel, Pact of the Body, or Pact of the Flesh.

Mcdjangali
2017-06-27, 09:55 AM
I'd make the claim that giving a character unarmored defense and martial arts isn't much of a boon (it just brings you up to par, and gives you the TWF style). Also, two 1-minute uses and recharge on a short rest kinda means that you have it for 80% of combat - I'd feel comfortable giving it 100% of the time.

If you aren't comfortable with granting the TWF style, then making your strikes magical would be okay instead.

Be sure to only allow a bonus strike after an attack with a light weapon or an unarmed strike - like the monk feature. Otherwise you can punch after you swing with a greataxe, or fire a longbow.

As for names, you could call it Pact of the Vessel, Pact of the Body, or Pact of the Flesh.

I'm not saying unarmored defense. I'm saying Cha mod as a bonus to AC, like the Bladesingers bonus to AC using Int. I think this is powerful enough to require the limited use.

zeek0
2017-06-27, 10:08 AM
Ah, I see. I'm not familiar with the bladesinger. Makes sense then, since it's essentially unarmed defense+2 AC. You'll still get that benefit in most every combat, which worries me.

I'd still allow martial arts to be at all times no sense in taking away the hero's thematic weapon if they use it too often. For the same reason, I would do unarmored defense over your system - but do as you will.

Mcdjangali
2017-06-27, 12:14 PM
Ah, I see. I'm not familiar with the bladesinger. Makes sense then, since it's essentially unarmed defense+2 AC. You'll still get that benefit in most every combat, which worries me.

I'd still allow martial arts to be at all times no sense in taking away the hero's thematic weapon if they use it too often. For the same reason, I would do unarmored defense over your system - but do as you will.

I think if reworked to this...

You get d4 unarmed strike using Dex or Str

Can take Blade pact invocations but, can only apply to unarmed strike

Activation is a bonus Action and lasts for 1 min. While Eldritch fist is activated you get:

-unarmed strike damage improves to d6 and counts as magical for bypassing resistance and immunities

-Cha mod to AC as a bonus, only if wearing light armor or less, and no shield

-When taking the attack action with unarmed strike, can make another attack as a bonus Action with mod.

Lalliman
2017-06-27, 01:07 PM
You get d4 unarmed strike using Dex or Str

Can take Blade pact invocations but, can only apply to unarmed strike

Activation is a bonus Action and lasts for 1 min. While Eldritch fist is activated you get:

-unarmed strike damage improves to d6 and counts as magical for bypassing resistance and immunities

-Cha mod to AC as a bonus, only if wearing light armor or less, and no shield

-When taking the attack action with unarmed strike, can make another attack as a bonus Action with mod.
That's awkward. A d4 unarmed strike without bonus action is still worse than any weapon. But you can't use weapons effectively because your invocations don't apply to them. So unless you're using your boost, you can either fight unarmed and suck, or use weapons and suck.

If you like the idea of being able to boost your fighting powers when needed, you can do that, but you should design it in two steps.
1. Make sure the character's base abilities are on-par and make sense. (I say 'make sense' because of the contradictory mechanic described above.)
2. Add the boost mechanic on top of that. For best effect, it should probably be a powerful boost with a very limited number of uses.

The question is, how do you want this to be used? Should the character use his fists most of the time, even when not boosted? If yes, give him d4 damage and bonus action attacks all the time. That's not a boost, mind you, it's just putting him up to par. While you are dealing 2 x (d4+3) for an average of 11 damage per round, the fighter is dealing 2d6+3 for an average of 10, without spending his bonus action. Then you can design the boost from there.

Alternatively, if you prefer the idea of using a weapon (or Eldritch Blast) when you're not boosted, then that's a different story. In that case you need to think about designing the features so that it benefits both fighting styles, armed and unarmed.

GalacticAxekick
2017-06-27, 01:25 PM
My mistake! I think OP saying "Wanted a Monk archetype for Warlock. That's about it" threw me off.

And thanks for the compliment! I left it without flavour because OP had described an intended function rather than an intended patron.

Anyways, I don't agree that you shouldn't make archetypes based on the features of other classes. By that measure, Ranger, Paladin, Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster shouldn't exist either. That's not how the design philosophy of 5e works.Except none of these get the core features of the classes they emulate, and so all of these can multiclass comfortably.

A Ranger or Paladin multiclassing Fighter still gains Second Wind and a new Fighting Style at first level. Multiclassing Druid or Cleric respectively they gain unique spells, Druidic and a Divine Domain feature.

An EK or AT multiclassing Wizard gains unique spells and Arcane Recovery.

A Warlock who has functioning Martial Arts and Unarmoured Defense gains literally nothing by multiclassing Monk, because they aren't just approaching the same themes: they are doing the exact same thing.

Mcdjangali
2017-06-27, 01:40 PM
That's awkward. A d4 unarmed strike without bonus action is still worse than any weapon. But you can't use weapons effectively because your invocations don't apply to them. So unless you're using your boost, you can either fight unarmed and suck, or use weapons and suck.

If you like the idea of being able to boost your fighting powers when needed, you can do that, but you should design it in two steps.
1. Make sure the character's base abilities are on-par and make sense. (I say 'make sense' because of the contradictory mechanic described above.)
2. Add the boost mechanic on top of that. For best effect, it should probably be a powerful boost with a very limited number of uses.

The question is, how do you want this to be used? Should the character use his fists most of the time, even when not boosted? If yes, give him d4 damage and bonus action attacks all the time. That's not a boost, mind you, it's just putting him up to par. While you are dealing 2 x (d4+3) for an average of 11 damage per round, the fighter is dealing 2d6+3 for an average of 10, without spending his bonus action. Then you can design the boost from there.

Alternatively, if you prefer the idea of using a weapon (or Eldritch Blast) when you're not boosted, then that's a different story. In that case you need to think about designing the features so that it benefits both fighting styles, armed and unarmed.

Good point. I guess the boost would be the attack dice going up to d6, unarmed strike being considered a magical weapon, and the Cha bonus to AC. Maybe reducing this to 1 per short rest if it's too much.

Mcdjangali
2017-06-27, 01:50 PM
My mistake! I think OP saying "Wanted a Monk archetype for Warlock. That's about it" threw me off.

And thanks for the compliment! I left it without flavour because OP had described an intended function rather than an intended patron.

Except none of these get the core features of the classes they emulate, and so all of these can multiclass comfortably.

A Ranger or Paladin multiclassing Fighter still gains Second Wind and a new Fighting Style at first level. Multiclassing Druid or Cleric respectively they gain unique spells, Druidic and a Divine Domain feature.

A Warlock who has functioning Martial Arts and Unarmoured Defense gains literally nothing by multiclassing Monk, because they aren't just approaching the same themes: they are doing the exact same thing.

Well, literally any class can benefit from multiclassing fighter. But besides that, I see what your saying in regards to multiclassing. In this scenario, multiclassing monk with a warlock of this pact would gain unarmored defense with a boost to AC (+Cha mod) here and there, ki, and if you haven't gotten to level 6 monk you'd gain temporary magical strikes for overcoming resistance. If we change the wording to the ability and say it improve your unarmed strike to the next di damage (d4->d6, d6->d8, etc.) then there would be further use for multiclass option.

zeek0
2017-06-27, 01:50 PM
The other pacts give you a thing or a quality, not an ability. I think this is important. A pact is simple and immutable.

I don't think that my Warlock with Magic Fists should be encouraged to carry a spear, for when his fists are only kinda magical. I want him to be as good at basic fighting as any half-caster, or at least as good as a pact of the blade person.

I also don't want to have to activate his Abs of Steel. *They should always be on*, coursing with eldritch power, and protecting me from my enemies. I don't want to be surprised by some kobolds and hold back my fists for a moment while I 'turn on' my eldritch powers.

So I personally advocate for Unarmored Defense (you get to keep that Monk vibe), d6s (compare: shortswords), Dex/Str variability, magic fists, and the ability to hit as a bonus action (but wthout ability modifier to hit).

To ensure balance, we'll look to pact of the blade. It gives you (+) standard martial weapon damage, (+) magic damage, (-) the ability to be disarmed of your blade, and (+) the ability to use any magic weapon as your blade.

My adaptation would give (++) those same first two, (+) your Charisma goes to your AC - so that takes pressure off boosting Dex, and (+) better possible end-game AC.

Seems fine to me. Right about in line.

But really, feel free to use your option. I think it's not overpowered - it just feels funny.

Mcdjangali
2017-06-28, 07:31 AM
The other pacts give you a thing or a quality, not an ability. I think this is important. A pact is simple and immutable.

I don't think that my Warlock with Magic Fists should be encouraged to carry a spear, for when his fists are only kinda magical. I want him to be as good at basic fighting as any half-caster, or at least as good as a pact of the blade person.

I also don't want to have to activate his Abs of Steel. *They should always be on*, coursing with eldritch power, and protecting me from my enemies. I don't want to be surprised by some kobolds and hold back my fists for a moment while I 'turn on' my eldritch powers.

So I personally advocate for Unarmored Defense (you get to keep that Monk vibe), d6s (compare: shortswords), Dex/Str variability, magic fists, and the ability to hit as a bonus action (but wthout ability modifier to hit).

To ensure balance, we'll look to pact of the blade. It gives you (+) standard martial weapon damage, (+) magic damage, (-) the ability to be disarmed of your blade, and (+) the ability to use any magic weapon as your blade.

My adaptation would give (++) those same first two, (+) your Charisma goes to your AC - so that takes pressure off boosting Dex, and (+) better possible end-game AC.

Seems fine to me. Right about in line.

But really, feel free to use your option. I think it's not overpowered - it just feels funny.

Made some adjustments

Mcdjangali
2017-06-28, 07:50 AM

Except none of these get the core features of the classes they emulate, and so all of these can multiclass comfortably.

Mcdjangali
2017-06-28, 07:51 AM

Lalliman
2017-06-28, 10:28 AM
Did you just post the same link three times? You don't have to do that for us all to be notified, we'll see your new post if we're subscribed to the thread, or else we'll just see it in the thread list.

The half scaling of the damage die looks pretty good. It definitely shouldn't scale at the same rate as a monk, since you can get Lifedrinker as a big damage boost.

But there's still a problem. The Bladesong-esque mechanic shouldn't be part of a pact boon, it should be either an invocation or part of a Patron. Pact Boons are, by themselves, very small benefits. By comparison, this version of Eldritch Fist is too powerful. For comparison:
- Chain gets a slightly upgraded Find Familiar spell.
- Blade ensures you're always armed and lets you pierce damage resistance.
- Tome grants you three extra cantrips.
- Fist does basically the same as Blade, and also gives you Charisma to AC 90% of the time.

Adding your casting stat to AC is a big deal. Bladesingers can achieve the highest static AC in the game (23) thanks to it, and so will this warlock.

I would just make an invocation that turns your AC into 10 + Dex + Cha, since that's easy to balance. But if you insist on the Bladesinger mechanic, an invocation that lets you do it once per short rest seems alright.

That being said, Eldritch Ki is cool. Not sure why it would be limited to once per short rest though, it's not like it's that favourable of an exchange rate.

Eldritch Flurry seems fine too. My first instinct was to just include it in Eldritch Ki, but that might be too powerful due to the synergy with Lifedrinker.

Mcdjangali
2017-06-28, 12:58 PM
Did you just post the same link three times? You don't have to do that for us all to be notified, we'll see your new post if we're subscribed to the thread, or else we'll just see it in the thread list.

The half scaling of the damage die looks pretty good. It definitely shouldn't scale at the same rate as a monk, since you can get Lifedrinker as a big damage boost.

But there's still a problem. The Bladesong-esque mechanic shouldn't be part of a pact boon, it should be either an invocation or part of a Patron. Pact Boons are, by themselves, very small benefits. By comparison, this version of Eldritch Fist is too powerful. For comparison:
- Chain gets a slightly upgraded Find Familiar spell.
- Blade ensures you're always armed and lets you pierce damage resistance.
- Tome grants you three extra cantrips.
- Fist does basically the same as Blade, and also gives you Charisma to AC 90% of the time.

Adding your casting stat to AC is a big deal. Bladesingers can achieve the highest static AC in the game (23) thanks to it, and so will this warlock.

I would just make an invocation that turns your AC into 10 + Dex + Cha, since that's easy to balance. But if you insist on the Bladesinger mechanic, an invocation that lets you do it once per short rest seems alright.

That being said, Eldritch Ki is cool. Not sure why it would be limited to once per short rest though, it's not like it's that favourable of an exchange rate.

Eldritch Flurry seems fine too. My first instinct was to just include it in Eldritch Ki, but that might be too powerful due to the synergy with Lifedrinker.

Oh, sorry about that. I wanted to make sure everyone got it. Thanks.

I just made an adjustment to the AC boost.

I think this will balance it out better and keep the mechanic. Without getting into Invocations. I feel like with being able to take blade Pact Invocations and having the 2 ki Invocations, there's already a lot of options there.

Also, due to this I lifted the Eldritch ki limit.

nyee
2017-06-30, 03:07 PM
I like the new edits. Definitely will have to give it playtest.

Submortimer
2017-07-03, 05:25 PM
You know, I don't know that I've ever posted it here before, but on many occasions my DM has let me use my fists AS my pact blade: I basically use the same flavor as this, I.e. eldritch flames wreathe my hands when I "Summon" my blade. In fact, Shadow Monk + Fiend Warlock is my go-to build for making an Akuma-like character:

6 Monk for Shadow Step, so I can do Akuma teleports
14 fiendlock so I can get my 1/rest Shun Goku Satsu
Eldritch Blast for Hadoken
Greenflame Blade for Flaming punches
Scorching Ray + hex for Shin Hadoken

Works really well, haven't seen much of a balance issue.

Mcdjangali
2017-07-19, 08:56 AM
You know, I don't know that I've ever posted it here before, but on many occasions my DM has let me use my fists AS my pact blade: I basically use the same flavor as this, I.e. eldritch flames wreathe my hands when I "Summon" my blade. In fact, Shadow Monk + Fiend Warlock is my go-to build for making an Akuma-like character:

6 Monk for Shadow Step, so I can do Akuma teleports
14 fiendlock so I can get my 1/rest Shun Goku Satsu
Eldritch Blast for Hadoken
Greenflame Blade for Flaming punches
Scorching Ray + hex for Shin Hadoken

Works really well, haven't seen much of a balance issue.

That looks like a pretty cool build. I guess I wanted to make it so I wouldn't have to multiclass but, I could still do so and it be beneficial either way. In any event, I revamped the whole thing. Lol.