PDA

View Full Version : Are there any feats or skill tricks that let you sheath your weapon as a free action?

Reprimand
2017-06-27, 01:48 PM
I want to piggy back off of this thread but didn't want to commit thread necromancy: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?379016-Converting-a-runescape-character-into-a-D-amp-D-character

I liked the last build I got sent. By comavision it is the third to last post. I've been playing around with it in games but I feel like it's missing something. I wanted especially to be able to sheathe a weapon as a free action and switch to my other weapons (scimitar to dagger or dagger to scimitar probably) if possible.

he mentions several other build options so I want to specify that I want specifically spirit totem lion (trade fast movement for pounce) whirling frenzy (trade rage for whirling frenzy) or possibly the ferocity rage variant from the cityspace web article like +4 str and +4 dex barbarian 1/Drow of the Underdark poison use acf + Penetrating Strike rogue 4/swashbuckler X with daring outlaw feat and craven.

Combining quickdraw with an ability to sheath weapons quickly would let me use my weapons poison someone without twf or dropping my weapons to draw a new one that is also poisoned so I don't need to reapply during combat.

Something like hamstring will probably be very useful for slowing down fleeing opponents.

Hexeract
2017-06-27, 02:50 PM
I've looked into this a few times before on my own and as far as I could find there are no feats that allow for this outside of homebrew.

martixy
2017-06-27, 03:23 PM
PF has a few options. First, it explicitly has a Quick Sheathe feat; Second, the Stamina and Combat tricks system from PF Unchained allows swift-action sheathing as Quick Draw's combat trick.

Bebbit
2017-06-27, 03:49 PM
I don't know if you're locked into a specific type of weapon, but the Gnomish Quickrazor from RoS is both drawn and sheathed as a free action.

Darrin
2017-06-27, 03:57 PM
Sorta, but it's a little wonky by RAW (Rules As Written) and a bit sketchy by RAI (Rules As Interpreted).

You can hide a weapon on yourself by making a Sleight of Hand check, opposed by a Spot check of anyone who happens to be watching you. If you have a sheath hidden on you already, then presumably you could return the weapon to its hidden sheath. According to the PHB, you can make a Sleight of Hand check as a free action by taking a -20 penalty on your roll. Now, you can crank up (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?142080-3-5-The-Lightning-Thief-Epic-Sleight-of-Hand-Abuse&p=7893750#post7893750) your Sleight of Hand check to obscene levels... or you might not, because even if you fail the Sleight of Hand check and your opponent Spots where you put the weapon... it still only took a free action.

But that's not the tricky part, as drawing a hidden weapon is not the same as drawing a sheathed weapon. According to the Quick Draw feat, drawing a hidden weapon is a move action instead of a free action, and then it refers you to the Sleight of Hand rules... which doesn't actually have any rules for drawing hidden weapons. And that's assuming we have any agreement over whether the weapon is actually hidden or not. If your opponent rolled high enough to Spot or you rolled low enough failing to hide it, then does it still count as a hidden weapon? Or say one opponent rolled high enough on Spot but another one didn't... is it hidden to all opponents or just the ones who rolled high enough? If it's not considered hidden, then it would be a free action to draw. However, it's probably safe to say that regardless of the Spot checks, attempting to hide a weapon makes it inaccessible enough that it takes additional effort to draw it, hence the move action. Can we still get it out of wherever it's hidden as a free action?

Well, yeah. We can steal it from ourselves. One of the options for Sleight of Hand is DC 20, "Lift a small object from a person." You presumably count as a person, a light or one-handed weapon counts as a small object, you know where it is because you hid it there, so it's a flat DC 20 check to "lift" it from yourself. Adding a -20 penalty, essentially increasing the DC to 40, allows you to do this as a free action.

Be prepared to dodge a few books thrown at your head.

Zsaber0
2017-06-27, 04:53 PM
Gnomish Quickrazor is a light weapon for a small creature. A large GQ is a light weapon for a medium creature. A huge size is a one handed weapon for a medium creature, and a Gargantuan GQ is a two handed weapon for a medium creature that can be sheathed and drawn as a free action to fulfill all your weeaboo samurai needs.

Zakerst
2017-06-27, 05:50 PM
In PF there is the lanyard which would let you drop it and retrieve it easily, doesn't really help with juju if you're trying to get that to work more than once though, for that I tended to just get a bunch of daggers and a dagger vest and hidden weapons and I think quick razors, but that may not be super helpful for you. AFAIK there does not exist a mechanic for rapid sheathing.

Jowgen
2017-06-27, 07:07 PM
But that's not the tricky part, as drawing a hidden weapon is not the same as drawing a sheathed weapon. According to the Quick Draw feat, drawing a hidden weapon is a move action instead of a free action, and then it refers you to the Sleight of Hand rules... which doesn't actually have any rules for drawing hidden weapons. And that's assuming we have any agreement over whether the weapon is actually hidden or not. If your opponent rolled high enough to Spot or you rolled low enough failing to hide it, then does it still count as a hidden weapon? Or say one opponent rolled high enough on Spot but another one didn't... is it hidden to all opponents or just the ones who rolled high enough? If it's not considered hidden, then it would be a free action to draw. However, it's probably safe to say that regardless of the Spot checks, attempting to hide a weapon makes it inaccessible enough that it takes additional effort to draw it, hence the move action. Can we still get it out of wherever it's hidden as a free action?

Well do I have an obscure rules treat for you dear Darrin: Song and Silence, p. 37. It has an expanded table of modifiers for the skill formerly known as pickpocket (i.e. Sleight of Hand). A normally concealed weapon is drawn as a standard action, if you accept a -2 to your skillcheck you can draw it as part of a move action, and with a -4 to your check you can draw it as free action via Quickdraw. As none of the 3.5 rules disagrees with these options, they should be 3.5 legal without change.

Now personally I'd think it reasonable for a DM to set some kind of bar for success on a SoH-based Free-action sheathing. At least have the skill trained, or have the magical 5 ranks, or (at the high end) require a positive check result (so a modifier of +25 for someone without the Master Pickpocket feat to get consistent results, though there are plenty of things to mundanely boost a concealing SoH check). Then again, it's not a big change at all, so I wouldn't be surprised if a given DM just let it fly per RAW (i.e. no minimum DC/requirement).

Darrin
2017-06-28, 07:36 AM
Well do I have an obscure rules treat for you dear Darrin: Song and Silence, p. 37. It has an expanded table of modifiers for the skill formerly known as pickpocket (i.e. Sleight of Hand). A normally concealed weapon is drawn as a standard action, if you accept a -2 to your skillcheck you can draw it as part of a move action, and with a -4 to your check you can draw it as free action via Quickdraw. As none of the 3.5 rules disagrees with these options, they should be 3.5 legal without change.

Great find! The issue there is you still don't really care if the penalty is -20 or -24, because even if the Sleight of Hand check fails it's still a free action.