PDA

View Full Version : How to play D&D?

greatapocalypse
2007-08-05, 10:26 PM
i couldnt find anywhere where i could ask this question so what material would i need to play d&d on this forum or otherwise

ForzaFiori
2007-08-05, 10:37 PM
u HAVE to have access to either the SRD or to a Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, and Monster Manuel.

those three books are what are called "Core Rulebooks", the ones you have to have to play. the SRD takes all of their info, and some from other books, and compiles it together.

Any other book can be added in for extra options.

Matthew
2007-08-05, 10:58 PM
The SRD provides a great deal of information, but to actually play you ought to have at least access to a Player's Handbook. Then you need to find a DM, unless you plan on being the DM, in which case you need access to a Dungeon Master's Guide and Monster Manual.

Alternatively, you could purchase The Dungeons & Dragons Basic Game (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/dndacc/966470000) and run that to get you started. You will eventually have to purchase a PHB, DMG and MM to play further than basic, so if money is tight it might not be the best idea.

Golthur
2007-08-05, 11:14 PM
Also, if you're playing in person, getting yourself some polyhedral dice would be a handy idea :wink:

I'd second the recommendation to at least pick up a PHB if you are playing, and all three core books (PHB, DMG, MM) if you are running the game. If you're running, a DM's screen is also handy, but not essential if cash is tight.

Likewise unessential, but nice to have - a battle mat of some sort (even printed cardboard with 1" squares will work) and minis of some sort (you can use cardboard tokens here as well). Again, only worry about this at all if you're playing in person.

Behold_the_Void
2007-08-05, 11:31 PM
If you have spare dice, the battle map inside of the DMG and extra dice work just fine in most cases.

greatapocalypse
2007-08-06, 11:54 AM
ok so say i wanted to play online(forum, chat site,etc.) i would need a phb,

an srd, battle mat with 1" squares, and polyhedral dice, right?:smallconfused:

iop
2007-08-06, 12:10 PM
To play online (as a player), all you need is to know the rules (http://www.d20srd.org). Rolling and mapping is done by the software and/or the DM.

If you have never played D&D before, I strongly suggest you pick up a copy of the players handbook and look it over, and find a game where the DM is willing to help you learn the game.

Falrin
2007-08-06, 12:40 PM
If you want I could run you through a training session if you want.

I was planning to do a game in PbP and you seem the perfect training for me, euh I mean a great person to play with :smallwink:

Golthur
2007-08-06, 12:41 PM
Playing online, just the PHB. Everything else is done online or handled by the DM, so no problem.

greatapocalypse
2007-08-06, 01:13 PM
I've looked around the forum a while ago and i vaguely remember seeing somewhere where you can play with people on this forum am i right? if i am would the somethings apply as the online things u guys r telling me?

greatapocalypse
2007-08-06, 01:14 PM
that would be great falrin

greatapocalypse
2007-08-06, 01:17 PM
also i've looked around and found a place to print charachacter cards i start out with pretty much nothing right? and do i make my own name , race class etc.

Telonius
2007-08-06, 01:33 PM
also i've looked around and found a place to print charachacter cards i start out with pretty much nothing right? and do i make my own name , race class etc.

Yes. The general idea is that you come up with a character that you'd like to play. It can be just about anything in a fantasy setting - a knight, a wizard, a thief, a kung-fu guy, a priest - of whatever personality you want to make them. When you have the idea for your guy, then roll dice (or use a different, more complicated system called "point buy") to see how strong, smart, wise, charismatic, tough, and nimble he is.

One thing you might want to keep in mind - you probably won't be able to play the Emperor of the World, or the Most Powerful Wizard Ever, at least to start off with. (That's the DM's job). You're the guys out adventuring on quests, working for the Emperor, or the Most Powerful Wizard Ever, or whoever.

greatapocalypse
2007-08-06, 02:05 PM
so do i roll a 6, 4, 20, or 10-sided die?

Falrin
2007-08-06, 02:06 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2992156#post2992156

Go there for training session. Report at the tavern.

greatapocalypse
2007-08-06, 02:30 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2992156#post2992156

Go there for training session. Report at the tavern.

so how do i actually play i still dont get it :smallfrown:

Falrin
2007-08-06, 02:32 PM
Read a litlle further and ask questions if you don't get a part, the start is very abstract, but when we get to the character sheet you'll get it.

greatapocalypse
2007-08-06, 02:36 PM
k just tell me when im supposed to start doin stuff

Falrin
2007-08-06, 02:42 PM
You can roll your stats/abbilities as explained in the post, post the results there if you please.

Dairun Cates
2007-08-06, 02:42 PM
u HAVE to have access to either the SRD or to a Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, and Monster Manuel.

Dude. Where can I get the Monster Manuel? That sounds often. He could speak in a Spanish accent and everything.

Sorry. That typo was too funny.

greatapocalypse
2007-08-06, 02:58 PM
You can roll your stats/abbilities as explained in the post, post the results there if you please.

do i use a 6 sided

Falrin
2007-08-06, 03:01 PM
The one abrevation I did not explain:

D or d = Die.

So a d4 will be a 4 sided die

a d6 (you'll be using those) is a 6 sided die.

greatapocalypse
2007-08-06, 03:09 PM
6 sided for stat/ability roll right i think im getting the hang of it

Falrin
2007-08-06, 03:13 PM
So as an example:

4d6 drop lowest = total

1, 5, 6, 4 = 15
4, 3, 2, 1 = 10

This should be done six times to get a number for every stat.

Post the resulting stats in at the other posts, we'll work from there.

greatapocalypse
2007-08-06, 03:18 PM
cool ill get working on it

greatapocalypse
2007-08-06, 03:39 PM
just incase u havent checked i posted my scores for my abilitys on ur thread

Zakama
2007-08-06, 11:38 PM
Best way to learn DnD is in real life, with a group of people. You will have to lean on them A LOT at first, but everything starts to click after a while. That's how I learned. Try to find a group, ask some of your nerdy friends.