PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Need Ideas for a build for 5E

urmom
2017-06-27, 05:57 PM
Anyone have any ideas on a strong build that focuses on combat, being able to take as well as deal damage. I hate how with 5E there's so little legit classes to play as and was looking for any ideas. if the build requires a homebrew cant be unbalanced or the DM will probably deny it. Im just bored playing all the classes out of the PH.

Specter
2017-06-27, 06:11 PM
Based on what you say, it could be a Bear Barbarian, an Eldritch Knight, an Ancients Paladin or something else. Could you be more specific?

urmom
2017-06-27, 06:28 PM
Based on what you say, it could be a Bear Barbarian, an Eldritch Knight, an Ancients Paladin or something else. Could you be more specific?

well I mean Im looking for a class that can deal a lot of damage while being able to take as much. magic is an option but not needed. the characters main role basically is the Tank but I don't want to also have to need healing every time I get hit. High Ac is a bonus as most classes cant offer much. Class Variants are accepted also.

Unoriginal
2017-06-27, 06:38 PM
Anyone have any ideas on a strong build that focuses on combat, being able to take as well as deal damage.

A Champion Fighter?

CursedRhubarb
2017-06-27, 06:47 PM
A Champion Fighter?

I'd second this. Can be fun with any race but to try something different with it that can be hilarious as well as effective: Goliath Champion and take Tavern Brawler when you can. Then just use anything you can get your hands on as a weapon, even swinging one enemy into another or bashing them with a table since you'll be proficient with anything as improvised weapons.

SpamCreateWater
2017-06-27, 06:52 PM
well I mean Im looking for a class that can deal a lot of damage while being able to take as much. magic is an option but not needed. the characters main role basically is the Tank but I don't want to also have to need healing every time I get hit. High Ac is a bonus as most classes cant offer much. Class Variants are accepted also.

A Bear Totem Barbarian / Circle of the Moon Druid. Be a Dwarf, and take Durable and Dwarven Resilience if you want to go the extra mile.
Bear Totem Barbarian gives you damage reduction, while raging, against everything but psychic damage.
Druid's Wild Shape allows you a second/third health pool; Circle of the Moon gives you better forms.
Dwarven Resilience allows you to self heal while Dodging, and Durable gives that heal a much higher minimum healed amount.

Depending on how high you go you could consider 5 levels of Rogue for Uncanny Dodge.

Specter
2017-06-27, 07:51 PM

Bear Barbarian, then.
Let's pretend you're at level 5, using point buy with a variant human.

ST15+1
DX13
CO15+1
IN10
WI10
CH8
Feat: Great Weapon Master
Level 4 ASI: +2STR (18 now)

Use Reckless Attack to get advantage on the attack, and take the -5 penalty to increase damage. Should be more than enough to blow people's heads.

Mongobear
2017-06-27, 08:10 PM
Half-Orc
Champion Fighter 4 // Bear Totem Barbarian 16

GWM/PAM if desired, Tough for extra HP which is extened further from Rage resistances

Can semi dump Dex and wear Medium armor, or pump it and go for Unarmored Defense.

Reckless Attacks + Savage Attacks and Brutal Critical to make crits really hurt.

Relentless Endurance + Relentless Rage so that even if you do drop, you can keep going for atleast 3-4 more hits, enough to maybe get a heal from your cleric friend to keep you going.

Alternatively, Hill Dwarf Battlerager Barbarian with the Tough feat and going sword/shield. you will get 1d12+Con+3 hp/level, have a high AC plus rage resistances, constant temp hp from using Reckless Attack, and a free BA Attack while Raging to keep your damage up there. You could also take the Shield Master feat for extra tankiness and utility to prone enemies for your other melee guys, although, you will be lacking ASIs for your stats unless you are rolling the, or find the 'Set to 19" or Giant belt items.

Rogerdodger557
2017-06-28, 06:08 AM
Anyone have any ideas on a strong build that focuses on combat, being able to take as well as deal damage. I hate how with 5E there's so little legit classes to play as and was looking for any ideas. if the build requires a homebrew cant be unbalanced or the DM will probably deny it. Im just bored playing all the classes out of the PH.

Try the Mystic from Unearthed Arcana, specifically the Immortal subclass. They get extra hit points per level, unarmored defense(10+Dex+Con), and once you get to 3rd level, as long as you have hit points, you get temp. hit points at the start of your turn. Damage wise, they are pretty much monks that do psychic damage. While it is not official, WotC has released it on DMs Guild, and its initial release was for play testing, so your DM shouldn't have too much of an issue with it