PDA

View Full Version : Wand Chambers

carrdrivesyou
2017-06-27, 08:54 PM
Quick question here:

Can you put more than one wand chamber in a single weapon? If I am not mistaken, I read somewhere that the weapon has to be a certain size to be able to accommodate, but this may have been an old setting document house rule. Is there an official ruling on this anywhere?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-06-27, 10:34 PM
From what I've seen, one per weapon is fairly standard, but a double weapon should be able to have two since each portion gets upgraded separately.

Dagroth
2017-06-28, 12:05 AM
Quick question here:

Can you put more than one wand chamber in a single weapon? If I am not mistaken, I read somewhere that the weapon has to be a certain size to be able to accommodate, but this may have been an old setting document house rule. Is there an official ruling on this anywhere?

I could see a double-weapon having 2 wand chambers... and I could even see a 2-handed weapon having 2 wand chambers. But using both wands would require the Double Wand Wielder feat.

Darrin
2017-06-28, 08:02 AM

Dungeonscape says the weapon needs a solid hilt or handle at least 6 inches in length, but it assumes the weapon is for a medium-sized character. It doesn't address what happens with weapons modified by smaller races... but presumably those races also have smaller-sized wands? But if so, then those wands could be used by larger races, so does the size even matter?

The text also calls out the spiked chain as not appropriate, but the artwork on such weapons is all over the place... I can imagine a spiked chain with one or two "handle" sections. Likewise, a spinning sword or kusari-gama could have a "handle".

I don't see anything in the rules text that explicitly forbids more than one wand chamber in a weapon. However, the general practice is one per weapon, two if it's a double weapon, and possibly three if it's an elvencraft longbow (counts as three weapons: longbow + quarterstaff).

carrdrivesyou
2017-06-28, 02:41 PM
Dungeonscape says the weapon needs a solid hilt or handle at least 6 inches in length, but it assumes the weapon is for a medium-sized character. It doesn't address what happens with weapons modified by smaller races... but presumably those races also have smaller-sized wands? But if so, then those wands could be used by larger races, so does the size even matter?

The text also calls out the spiked chain as not appropriate, but the artwork on such weapons is all over the place... I can imagine a spiked chain with one or two "handle" sections. Likewise, a spinning sword or kusari-gama could have a "handle".

I don't see anything in the rules text that explicitly forbids more than one wand chamber in a weapon. However, the general practice is one per weapon, two if it's a double weapon, and possibly three if it's an elvencraft longbow (counts as three weapons: longbow + quarterstaff).

Given the Elvencraft Longbow, would something like a Spear or Longspear be able to hold two or more? Size wise, I think it would be physically possible, but I am not sure how a GM would rule it. I would as a GM. :smallbiggrin:

DEMON
2017-06-28, 02:47 PM
Given the Elvencraft Longbow, would something like a Spear or Longspear be able to hold two or more? Size wise, I think it would be physically possible, but I am not sure how a GM would rule it. I would as a GM. :smallbiggrin:

Personally I don't allow 3 wand chambers with an Elvencraft Longbow, since the bow shares the body with the quarterstaff. I would allow 2 for the quarterstaff functionality, though.

Longspear? I'd probably rule one, myself, though an argument could be made for 2.

carrdrivesyou
2017-06-28, 02:51 PM
Personally I don't allow 3 wand chambers with an Elvencraft Longbow, since the bow shares the body with the quarterstaff. I would allow 2 for the quarterstaff functionality, though.

Longspear? I'd probably rule one, myself, though an argument could be made for 2.

What about a staff though? Like a runestaff or Staff of the Archmagi? Thematically, it fits. Wouldn't be a far stretch to think a powerful mage would make something like that. Hmm...Was there no errata for this particular item enhancement?

Bonzai
2017-06-29, 12:09 AM
There is the rod of many wands which lets you store and activate 3 at once. I have an Artificer build that uses one with maximized magic missiles, along with a quickened and maximized one. 100 auto hitting force damage a pop is nothing to sneeze at.