PDA

View Full Version : (Class) Quasi Knight

Backpack
2007-08-05, 11:36 PM
This is my first post and I was just wondering what folks thought. I found a new PrC called the Quasi Knight but didn't think it was very functional. I decided to re-write it and see what everyone thought of the original vs. my re-write. I welcome any comments, suggestions, critiques, etc. The original write up by Robert Sheppard can be found at http://www.geocities.com/plutoreus/m...ge_classes.htm (http://www.geocities.com/plutoreus/monster_new_prestige_classes.htm)

Here is my re write...

Four Hundred Years ago a man by the name of Sterling Ruz found a way to channel Energy from the Quasi Elemental Plane of Energy, thus the Quasi Knight was born. Though he was only able to harness a small amount of the power at first, it began to grow over time. His powers were limited but effective when utilized at the right moment in battle. He was killed Forty Years later when his Keep was stormed by a war band of ogres. Years earlier he had passed his knowledge to his Apprentice Occam Adan. When he heard about the untimely death of his master, Adan was enraged. With the help of his apprentice they tracked down the ogres and killed the entire tribe. In the remembrance of their master, a temple was erected. It was called the Temple of Ruz. This would become the training grounds for the Knights to come. Years pasted and their numbers rose, but in recent years the Quasi Knight ranks have fallen to where they are few and far between out from the protection of the temple walls. For training, an apprentice must venture to the Temple of Ruz. The first year she will study exclusively in the Great Library of the temple. Then after she has gained the Knowledge of the Quasi Elemental Plane of Energy and learned the ways of the Quasi Knight may she then continue her training. She will then train for another year learning to fight with a Quasi Sword and using the right power at the right time. Due to the declining numbers of Quasi Knights in the world, as adventuring Quasi Knights are making their presence felt once again, they must also look for opportunities to re-establish the Order. As such the Quasi Knight will never retain wealth, keeping only sufficient treasure to support themselves in a modest manner (about 50% - not including starting cash). Excess income will be given away or given back to the Order.

Hit Dice: d8

Requirements:
To qualify to become a Quasi Knight, the character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Alignment: Any Lawful
Ability Scores: Int 13+, Wis 13+
Base Attack Bonus: +5
Knowledge (The Planes): 4 ranks
Feats: Power Attack, Cleave, Dodge, Combat Reflexes
Special: The character must find a Quasi Knight to take them as their apprentice; otherwise it is impossible to partake in such training.
Class Skills:
The Quasi Knight’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Move Silently (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Int), Listen (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis) Speak Language, Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha)

Skill Points at Each Level: 4+ Int Modifier

Quasi Knight
{table=head]Level|
Base Attack Bonus|
Fort Save|
Ref Save|
Will Save|
Special|
Power pts/Day|0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th

1st|
+1|
+2|
+1|
+0|
Create Quasi Dagger/Sword, Quasi Defense|
2|2

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+2|
+0|
Study Opponent +2|
3|3|1

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+2|
+1|
Deflect Attack 1/Day, Quasi Mind|
4|3|2

4th|
+4|
+4|
+2|
+1|
Weapon Specialization|
5|3|2|1

5th|
+5|
+4|
+3|
+1|
Quasi Body|
8|4|3|2

6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+3|
+2|
Deflect Attack 2/Day, Mobility|
11|4|3|2|1

7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+4|
+2|
Quasi Critical|
16|4|3|3|1

8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+4|
+2|
Quasi Leap|
21|4|4|3|2|1

9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+4|
+3|
Deflect Attack 3/Day|
26|4|4|3|2|1

10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+5|
+3|
Quasi Iron Will, Study Opponent +4|
33|4|4|4|3|2|1

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+7|
+5|
+3||
40|4|4|4|3|2|1

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+6|
+4|
Deflect Attack 4/Day|
47|4|4|4|3|3|2|1

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+8|
+6|
+4|
Quasi Reaction|
56|4|4|4|4|3|2|1

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+9|
+6|
+4||
65|4|4|4|4|3|3|2

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+9|
+7|
+5|
Deflect Attack 5/Day|
74|4|4|4|4|4|3|2

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+10|
+7|
+5||
85|4|4|4|4|4|3|3

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+8|
+5||
96|4|4|4|4|4|4|3

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+8|
+6|
Deflect Attack 6/Day, Quasi Timeless Body|
107|4|4|4|4|4|4|3

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+8|
+6||
118|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|-|-

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+9|
+6|
Quasi Perfect Self|
129|4|4|4|4|4|4|4[/table]

Class Features:
All of the following are class features of the Quasi-Knight prestige class.
Create Quasi Dagger/ Sword Feat: The Knight can now channel enough energy to create her very own Quasi Dagger or Sword. The Dagger/Sword takes a week to create, the handle of the Dagger/Sword can be of any make and fashion. For the Color of the blade, the creator must have a gem of the color wished and it must be of at least 1000gp worth. Also the Knight must spend 3000 XP for the creation of the Dagger/Sword. See description below.
Psionic Powers: Beginning at 1st level the Quasi Knight is able to use a limited amount of psionic powers. These powers are granted to him and are forever in his memory.
Meditation: The Knight must meditate for at least one hour each day to use her powers. The meditation allows her to channel the power of the Quasi Elemental Plane into Psionic Energy, thus allowing her to use her powers.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The Quasi Knight’s weapon training focuses on a very small list of weapons. The Knight is proficient with the following weapons: Long sword, Quarterstaff, Dagger, Quasi Dagger, and Quasi Sword. The Quasi Knights do not partake in the using of ranged weapons; they prefer swords to bows as the best form of combat. Quasi Knights are not proficient with any kind of armor nor with the using of shields. Doing so will hinder them so they cannot channel the power of the Quasi Elemental Plane.
Quasi Defense: When not wearing armor, Quasi Knights add their Wisdom bonus along with their Dexterity bonus to modify Armor Class. If the Knight is caught flat-footed or otherwise denied her Dexterity bonus, she also loses this bonus.
Study Opponent: At 2nd level, and again at 10th, the Knight is adept at spotting weaknesses in her foes’ fighting styles. If she takes an all-out defensive action, she gains a dodge bonus to her AC against any opponent who attacks her in melee combat that round. The dodge bonus begins the round after that opponent attacks her and lasts for the duration of the fight.
Deflect attack: Beginning at 3rd level and every three levels after, the Quasi Knight can attempt to parry melee attacks against her. She must be within 5 feet and holding a melee weapon or shield to deflect the attack. Once per day, when she would normally be hit with a melee weapon, she may make a Reflex saving throw against DC 20. (If the melee weapon has a magical bonus to attack, the DC increases by that amount.) If she succeeds, she deflects the blow as a free action. She must be aware of the attack before hand and not flat-footed.
The Quasi Mind: At 3rd level the Knight gains a +2 bonus to saving throws against spells and effects from the Enchantment school, since her meditation and training enable her to better resist mind affecting attacks.
Weapon Specialization: On achieving 4th level or higher, the Knight my take the Weapon Specialization feat. The Knight must have Weapon Focus with that weapon to take this feat.
The Quasi Body: At 5th level, the Knight gains control over her body’s immune system. She gains immunity to all diseases except for magical diseases such as mummy rot and lycanthropy.
Quasi Critical: At 7th level, the Knight gains a +2 advantage on critical threat ranges. This ability does not stack with the Improved Critical Feat.
The Quasi Leap: At 8th level or higher, the Knight’s jumping distance (vertical or horizontal) is doubled.
Quasi Iron Will: At 10th level, the Knight gains an additional +2 bonus to Will saves. This bonus stacks with the Iron Will Feat.
Quasi Reaction: At 13th level, the Knight gains a +2 to initiative rolls. This ability stacks with Improved Initiative Feat.
The Quasi Timeless Body: After achieving 18th level, the Knight no longer suffers ability penalties for aging and cannot be magically aged. (Any penalties she may have already suffered remain in place.) Bonuses still accrue, and the Knight still dies of age when her time is up.
The Quasi Perfect Self: Upon reaching 20th level, the Knight has tuned her body with the Quasi Elemental Plane to the point that she becomes an extraplanar creature. She is forevermore treated as an outsider rather than as a humanoid. Additionally, the Quasi-Knight gains damage reduction 20/ +2. This means that the Knight ignores the first 20 points of damage from any attack unless the damage is dealt by a weapon with a +2 enhancement bonus (or better), by a spell, or by a form of energy (fire, cold, etc.). As an outsider, a 20th level Knight is subject to spells that repel enchanted creatures, such as Protection from Law.

The Quasi Dagger/Sword
The Quasi Dagger/Sword has a Metal handle with a blade of Energy about 15 inches long (dagger)/40 inches long (sword). To create a Quasi weapon the creator must have the Create Quasi Dagger/Sword feat (exclusive to the Quasi Knight only). The blade will activate and deactivate at the will of the caster. The weapon must be in the Knight’s hand for it to activate which means if the weapon is activated and is dropped, it will automatically deactivate. A Knight can only channel enough energy to use one Quasi Dagger/Sword at a time due the amount of channeled energy need to form the blade. If anyone other than the creator of the weapon attempts to wield it, it will not function. The Dagger/Sword also develops its own special abilities.

Quasi Dagger/Sword
{table=head]
Wielder Level|
Dagger/Sword Damage|
Critical|
Wt.|
Special

1st|
1d4/1d8|
19-20x2|
1lb|
+1 Magical Ability, Grants Extra Attack

2nd|
1d4/1d8|
19-20x2|
1lb||

3rd|
1d4/1d8|
19-20x2|
1lb|
+2 Magical Ability|

4th|
1d4/1d8|
19-20x2|
1lb||

5th|
1d4/1d8|
19-20x2|
1lb||

6th|
1d4/1d8|
19-20x2|
1lb|
+3 Magical Ability|

7th|
1d6/2d6|
17-20x2|
1lb||

8th|
1d6/2d6|
17-20x2|
1lb||

9th|
1d6/2d6|
17-20x2|
1lb||

10th|
1d6/2d6|
17-20x3|
1lb|
+4 Magical Ability, Grants Extra Attack|

11th|
1d6/2d6|
17-20x3|
1lb||

12th|
1d6/2d6|
17-20x3|
1lb|
Defending special ability|

13th|
2d4/2d8|
17-20x3|
1lb||

14th|
2d4/2d8|
17-20x3|
1lb||

15th|
2d4/2d8|
17-20x3|
1lb|
+5 Magical Ability, Grants Extra Attack, Brilliant Energy special ability|

16th|
2d4/2d8|
17-20x3|
1lb||

17th|
2d4/2d8|
17-20x3|
1lb||

18th|
2d4/2d8|
17-20x3|
1lb||

19th|
2d4/2d8|
17-20x3|
1lb||

20th|
2d4/2d8|
17-20x3|
1lb|
Grants Extra Attack|[/table]

Quasi Knight Power List (from the Psionics Handbook)
0-LEVEL POWERS
Far Hand. Minor Telekinesis
Elfsight. You have low-light vision
Lesser Natural Armor. You gain +1 natural Armor Bonus
Verve. You gain 1 temporary hit point
Burst. Subject speed improves by 10 ft. for 1 round
Daze. Creature loses next action
Telempathic Projection. You modify subject’s emotions

1st-LEVEL POWERS:
Combat Precognition. You gain a +1 insight bonus to AC
Control Object. You telekinetically animate a small object
Lesser Concussion. Pummel foe for 1d6 damage
Empathic Transfer. You absorb others’ hurts
Lesser Body Adjustment. You heal 1d8 hp, or gain a +1 bonus on your next Fortitude save to resist poison or disease, or heal 1 point of temporary ability damage
Charm Person. Makes one person your friend
Empathy. You know the subject’s surface emotions
Feel Light. You use tactile sensation to see
Create Sound. You create the sound you desire
Feather Fall. Objects or creatures fall slowly
Object Reading. You know about an object’s past
Biofeedback. Self-control allows you to take some damage as subdual damage

2nd-LEVEL POWERS:
Combat Prescience. You gain a +2 insight bonus to your attack roll
Augury. Learn if an intended action will be good or bad
Sensitivity to Psychic Impressions. You can find out about an area’s past
Concussion. Pummel foe for 3d6 damage
Body Adjustment. You heal 3d6 damage, or gain a bonus to your next Fortitude save to resist poison or disease, or heal 2 temporary ability points
Chameleon. You gain a +10 enhancement bonus on Hide checks
Sustenance. You can go without food and water
Detect Thoughts. You detect subject’s surface thoughts
Suggestion. Compels subject to follow suggested action

3rd-LEVEL POWERS:
Danger Sense. You gain a +4 bonus against traps
Control Sound. You can create very specific sounds
Greater Concussion. Pummel foe for 5d6 damage
Displacement. Attacks miss you 50% of the time
Improved Biofeedback. You take charge of your body’s damage
Rejuvenation. You heal 1 point of temporary ability damage/hour
Charm Monster. Makes monster believe it is your ally
Lesser Domination. Forces subject to obey your will
Prowess. You may make one extra attack of opportunity (Wis)
Nondetection. Hides subject from Clairsentience powers and remote viewing
False Sensory Input. You falsify one of the subject’s senses

4th-LEVEL POWERS:
Aura Sight. You can read things in other’s auras
Fate of One. You can reroll a bad roll
Mass Concussion. Foes take 7d4 damage in 20-ft radius
Telekinesis. Lift or move 25 lb./level at long range
Psychofeedback. You can use power points to boost your Str, Con, and/or Dex ability modifiers
Natural Armor. You gain +4 natural armor bonus
Domination. Subject obeys your will
Mindwipe. Subject’s recent experiences wiped away
Tailor Memory. False memory implanted in subject
Steadfast Perception. You gain +4 bonus against illusions, +2 bonus on Spot and Search checks (Wis)

5th-LEVEL POWERS:
Adapt Body. You adapt your body to hostile encironments
Mind Probe. You discover the subject’s secret thoughts
Energy Barrier. You convert energy attacks to harmless light
Greater Domination. Subject obeys your will
Sending. Delivers short message anywhere instantly
Incarnate. You make some psionic effects permanent
Clairtangency. You can use Far Hand at any distance
Ectoplasmic Armor. Subject gains +10 armor bonus

6th-LEVEL POWERS:
Precognition. More in-depth than divination
Shield of Prudence. You gain a +6 insight bonus to AC
Improved Vigor. You gain 13 temporary hit points
Suspend Life. Your life functions slow to imperceptibility
Ethereal Jaunt. You become ethereal for 1 round/level
Retrieve. You teleport to your hand an item you can see
True Concussion. Pummels foe for 13d6 damage
Improved Telekinesis. Lift or move 100 lb./level at long range

Quasi Knight Bonus Power Points (by Quasi Knight level)
{table=head]Wisdom Score|1-2|3-4|5-6|7-8|9-10|11-12|13-14|15-16|17-18|19-20

10-11|

12-13|
1|
1|
1|
1|
1|
1|
1|
1|
1|
1|

14-15|
1|
3|
3|
3|
3|
3|
3|
3|
3|

16-17|
1|
3|
5|
5|
5|
5|
5|
5|
5|

18-19|
1|
3|
5|
7|
7|
7|
7|
7|
7|

20-21|
3|
3|
5|
7|
9|
9|
9|
9|
9|

22-23|
3|
5|
5|
5|
9|
11|
11|
11|
11|

24-25|
3|
5|
7|
7|
9|
11|
13|
13|
13|

26-27|
3|
5|
7|
9|
9|
11|
13|
15|
15|

28-29|
5|
5|
7|
9|
11|
11|
13|
15|
17|

30-31|
5|
7|
7|
9|
11|
13|
13|
15|
17|

32-33|
5|
7|
9|
9|
11|
13|
15|
15|
17|

34-35|
5|
7|
9|
11|
11|
13|
15|
17|
17|

36-37|
7|
7|
9|
11|
13|
13|
15|
17|
19|

38-39|
7|
9|
9|
11|
13|
15|
15|
17|
19|

40-41|
7|
9|
11|
11|
13|
15|
17|
17|
19|
21|[/table]
*In case of ability score drop, characters must have a Wisdom score of at least 10 to manifest powers

I hope I got it all in there, let me know what you think...

CyberWyld
2007-08-06, 03:51 AM
Looks good to me man. I'd be tempted to play one if you weren't bring one into the campaign. :P See ya later this month!

hasta

CyberWyld
2007-08-07, 01:59 AM
Anyone else have any comments on this PrC?

Hasta

Backpack
2007-08-07, 08:00 AM
I think I'll just re-post it on one of the other forums like you did with the Peacemaker. At least I tried the Homebrew...

puppyavenger
2007-08-07, 08:16 AM
Why lawful only?

Akennedy
2007-08-07, 08:17 AM
> Umm, a 20 level PrC seems odd to me. Seems more like a base class with prereq's, which should never happen. I would suggest removing the prereq's or shortening it to 10 levels. Otherwise, cool idea, but overpowered. A good save, a (medium?) save and a low save; high BAB, 4 + skills, d8 hd, psionic warrior manafesting, and to top it off a couple of cool special abilities to boot! If it were to be dummed down, it would be a playable class. If it were to be played as is, it would make other classes feel useless.
> Also, Granting extra attacks if having a quasi sword is a little too much, especially at level one! If you want extra attacks at level one you need TWF - which BLOWS (usually)! And what happens if he TW fights with two quasi weapons, 8 more attacks?! This character can fight, cast spells, juggle a few different skills and essentially do EVERYTHING.

> I'm sorry, but it's overpowered, by quite a bit.

Backpack
2007-08-07, 06:00 PM
Why lawful only?

Only lawful due to the the strict discipline required, kinda like a monk.

Backpack
2007-08-07, 06:39 PM
> Umm, a 20 level PrC seems odd to me. Seems more like a base class with prereq's, which should never happen. I would suggest removing the prereq's or shortening it to 10 levels. Otherwise, cool idea, but overpowered. A good save, a (medium?) save and a low save; high BAB, 4 + skills, d8 hd, psionic warrior manafesting, and to top it off a couple of cool special abilities to boot! If it were to be dummed down, it would be a playable class. If it were to be played as is, it would make other classes feel useless.
> Also, Granting extra attacks if having a quasi sword is a little too much, especially at level one! If you want extra attacks at level one you need TWF - which BLOWS (usually)! And what happens if he TW fights with two quasi weapons, 8 more attacks?! This character can fight, cast spells, juggle a few different skills and essentially do EVERYTHING.

> I'm sorry, but it's overpowered, by quite a bit.

I hadn't seen a 20 lvl PrC either until this was shown to me. I just decided to keep it 20 cause I thought that there was too much to put into a 10 lvl PrC. I do like the idea of making it a bas class though, but I think at that point it would have to be reworked. When I started working on it, I was basing a lot on the fact that someone could only start taking Quasi Knight at level 6.

It seemed to be written as combo of the monk and a Jedi, so I tried to stay true to that (especially since Jedi were kind of the monks of Star Wars). The Quasi Knight doesn't get near the cool abilities of the monk (Ki Strike, Evasion, Slow Fall, etc.), but has some cool abilities of his own. I based the psionic powers off of Force powers so that it would have a Jedi feel to it, but tried to limit it so that they would not be the uber character in the party.

I think your suggestion about the extra attacks granted by the Quasi Weapon may be accurate. While a Quasi Knight cannot have 2 Quasi Weapons, at 20th lvl having 8+ attacks does seem a little absurd. What do you think about extra attacks at say, 6, 12, and 18? Or maybe 5 and 15? Considering that the soonest someone could start taking levels in Quasi Knight is at 6th level, 14th level Quasi Knight puts them into epic levels. At that point, the extra attacks would be cool, especially considering it's only a +4 Defending weapon at 20 if this class is taken ASAP.

Thoughts?

choryukami
2007-08-08, 11:21 AM
I'm not trying to insult your creation, but using the word, 'quasi' with the class name and many of the powers carries a certain interpretation of each of the powers and the class itself.

For instance, a 'Quasi Knight' is almost a knight, but not quite. 'Quasi Perfect Self' is an almost perfect self. It makes the class sound more mediocre. Just thought I would mention that if you hadn't noticed.

Backpack
2007-08-08, 05:47 PM
I'm not trying to insult your creation, but using the word, 'quasi' with the class name and many of the powers carries a certain interpretation of each of the powers and the class itself.

For instance, a 'Quasi Knight' is almost a knight, but not quite. 'Quasi Perfect Self' is an almost perfect self. It makes the class sound more mediocre. Just thought I would mention that if you hadn't noticed.

Good point, I thought the same thing. But as stated in the original post, I am not the original creator. My buddies found this and we didn't think it was very playable, so I took some time and just re-wrote it in a more playable form. Although, I think you are right, maybe I should rename it. But I wouldn't want to step on the toes of the original creator.

All in all though, do you think it would be an enjoyable PC at the table?

Fingers
2007-08-12, 06:38 PM
Only a psychotic DM would allow you to play this class in their campaign!!! :smalleek:

So when do we start? :smallamused:

Tarken
2007-08-13, 10:45 AM
Do you get paid every time the word "quasi" appears in an ability ?

(I wish I could steal two of those daggers, my DM is always saying "I don't think a 3' greatsword allows a 2'10'' character sneak attacks ,but roll anyway)