PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Creative Druidcraft uses

nickl_2000
2017-06-28, 07:27 AM
After seeing the amazing help that was given by the community on use of prestidigitation, I would love to hear creative uses for Druidcraft. My Moon Druid is getting close to level 4, and it seems odd that a druid wouldn't have a spell that is literally named after the class. Still, I see it as fairly limited compared to the other "fluff" spells of Minor Illusion, Prestidigitation, and Thaumaturgy.

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous
Whispering to the spirits of nature, you create one of the following effects within range:
• You create a tiny, harmless sensory effect that predicts what the weather will be at your location for the next 24 hours. The effect might manifest as a golden orb for clear skies, a cloud for rain, falling snowflakes for snow, and so on. This effect persists for 1 round.
• You instantly make a flower blossom, a seed pod open, or a leaf bud bloom.
• You create an instantaneous, harmless sensory effect, such as falling leaves, a puff o f wind, the sound of a small animal, or the faint odor o f skunk. The effect must fit in a 5-foot cube.
• You instantly light or snuff out a candle, a torch, or a small campfire.

Tetrasodium
2017-06-28, 07:32 AM
After seeing the amazing help that was given by the community on use of prestidigitation, I would love to hear creative uses for Druidcraft. My Moon Druid is getting close to level 4, and it seems odd that a druid wouldn't have a spell that is literally named after the class. Still, I see it as fairly limited compared to the other "fluff" spells of Minor Illusion, Prestidigitation, and Thaumaturgy.

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous
Whispering to the spirits of nature, you create one of the following effects within range:
• You create a tiny, harmless sensory effect that predicts what the weather will be at your location for the next 24 hours. The effect might manifest as a golden orb for clear skies, a cloud for rain, falling snowflakes for snow, and so on. This effect persists for 1 round.
• You instantly make a flower blossom, a seed pod open, or a leaf bud bloom.
• You create an instantaneous, harmless sensory effect, such as falling leaves, a puff o f wind, the sound of a small animal, or the faint odor o f skunk. The effect must fit in a 5-foot cube.
• You instantly light or snuff out a candle, a torch, or a small campfire.

It's not normally as useful as minor illusion, but there are a few things it can do really well that minor illusion cannot.

If the party mostly has darkvision, you can use it to snuff out torches in a room before storming in to kill the hopefully blind occupants.

Zombies & stuff not going for that minor illusion wounded human?... add the smell of fresh blood & such.

Those are about the only ones I've come up with in play because so much of what it can do is so... well... pointless & one of those two is entirely up to the gm.

nickl_2000
2017-06-28, 07:35 AM
SNIP

Those are about the only ones I've come up with in play because so much of what it can do is so... well... pointless & one of those two is entirely up to the gm.

Ya, I've never once been in a situation in D&D where we even thought if it would snow or rain

Renduaz
2017-06-28, 07:56 AM
To a minor extent, "You instantly make a flower boom", and to a much greater extent, "You instantly make a leaf bud blossom" can be used to make gold with edible leaves such as cabbage or more expensively, difficult to grow cooking herbs by obtaining/purchasing the seeds and foregoing what would normally be the cost of watering, fertilizing and especially the massive amount of time needed, not to mention the risk factor of a poor season or drought, by simply blossoming all of their leaves instantly as soon as you have the buds. Can also lend your service to any farmers you pass by, "Hey sir, how about I make your entire cabbage field/herb garden all blossom instantly instead of you toiling for a few months and risking poor crops which didn't grow or bad weather and fertilization, for a small price?"

With the expensive, exotic spicing herbs or flowers like Lotus, Anise and so forth which would normally be a huge pain in the ass to grow properly under the right climate, you could make a lot of gold by just blossoming their buds instantly. Not to mention also blooming various flowers used for perfumes, medicinal herbs, and so forth.